Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ever since they realized that the Marvel brand itself had become valuable, they've been extra-stingy with associating it with any IPs they don't control "enough" of the rights/revenue for. If you're buying superhero shirts and action figures, then by god they want to be sure you're using that money for and ~*creating brand attachment with~* characters that aren't cash cows for someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Besides Cable and X-man, what other characters have a reverse monocle? I'm sure I've seen a few, but I can't think of any right now.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Medullah posted:

I personally like that there was a stripper superhero.

More modestly-attired than Marvel's Night Cat, imo.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

Thanks to all of you. I like the idea of Civil War because it is kind of weird to have these super powered vigilantes running round but hey, that's why it's a comic right? House of M it is next then. I've been quite Marvelcentric what do people like in the way of big DC storylines? There's probably going to be a lot of Batman in there.

I've helpfully addressed everything you need to know about DC crossovers here.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I've never managed to figure the perfect reading order for 1,000,000, but I've also never managed to try a reading order in which it's not an excellent read. One of the most simply enjoyable works of pop-pulp fiction I've ever read, let alone one of the best superhero crossover events.

You know, given Morrison's reportedly high involvement with at least plotting ask many of the issues in the event, the number of plotlines running, and the ability to read it coherently in a variety of different orders—DC One Million seems like an early technical prototype of Seven Soldiers.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Final Crisis is a re-reader, so feel free to jump in blind at first. Unless the first thing you find is that you hate it and never want to read it again, you'll still have things to find and connect on subsequent reads regardless of how much prep you put in.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

Punisher's "not you" is a great panel. So's "Amazing...Spectacular"

Good editing to trim it down from the extended version in the script, imo.

:science: "Amazing."
:spidey: "Spectacular. "
:science: "Sensational."
:spidey: "Unlimited."
:science: "Giant-Size."
:spidey: "Peter Parker."
:science: "Web of."
:spidey: "The Arachnis Project."

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

Well I'm never going to stop making fun of Clone Saga.

You're goddamn right. :spidey::respek::spidey:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Liam Neeson. :colbert:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Watch the Duel of the Fates scene again if you want to be shocked at how bad the shot choices, blocking, and editing are. Set footage from a food services staffer's phone could have looked better.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Do you mean to tell me that George Lucas is a bad director?

Legit bad thing about him selling to Disney: Dude seemed to love the idea of sharing the experience of filmmaking. We were maybe 15 years of Lucas getting crazier from him deciding to dump a poo poo-ton of raw footage out there for the fans to try their own hands at editing their own "editions". That's what I want to believe, anyway.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Has G-Mo said anything about why the 853rd century JLA are actually the JSA? I know that the plot reasons for no J'onn and no Lantern, but were Hourman and Starman chosen specifically for their JSA-ness, or what?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The best comic is the 73-page and growing graphic novel I've been creating where I use action figures to represent BSS's greatest posters and take staged photos of them to show all of our adventures.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I hope you used a body-type accurate figure of The Rock to represent me.

Close enough.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

My lettering will get better. Don't worry.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know why this isn't already a webcomic.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cyclops represents Edge & Christian because he's always right.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Well there's a long story arc where the barriers between subforums break down and BSS has to work to free the chat thread from invaders from Pet Island, and let's speak frankly: that's a dogfucker subforum. They do sex things, but with dogs.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Richards family carries a terrible fashion gene.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

(Electromagnetism includes electricity, our brains run on electrical signals, if he can mentally control electricity he should be able to just turn off people like a switch, boom, they brain dead)

And yet, MRI machines don't wipe your brain, and transcranial magnetic simulation is still a weird baby science unless something happened when I wasn't looking (which, to be fair, is totally possible).

Electricity in the brain is weird and one of the neatest things I remember from a random-rear end elective I took back in undergrad. Electricity in familiar technology takes the form of actual electrons squirting around (:pseudo:), whereas within the brain, it's in the form of big, chunky ions (potassium, calcium, and one more I think?) that can enter or leave individual neurons in certain circumstances that I don't remember because humanities. When the aggregate charge of all the ions inside a neuron hits a certain threshold, which I believe varies from neuron to neuron but by no means quote me there, that neuron blasts an action potential down its axon, which poops a chemical signal into whatever synapse that axon ends at. The chemical signal is somehow (:pseudo:) read by any dendrites that terminate in that synapse, and the neurons attached to those dendrites do some bullshit (:pseudo:) with their ability to accept or release ions.

I posted all of that mostly to see how much I would remember. But the point is: Magneto's ability to screw with the brain, like his ability to screw with hemoglobin, is waaaaay over-estimated.

And the real point is that you should make sure that you take interesting electives, because they're stuck in your brain forever whether you like them or not.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just read the first and third paragraphs that I posted there, unless you're one of my old professors.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The human genome in Marvel probably has junk DNA kicking around it from millions of years of interbreeding with eternals, deviants, inhumans, aliens, uplifted animals, genetically-modified time-travelers, androids, animated statues, minotaurs, non-minotaur monsters, homunculi, cosmically-empowered humans, attractive enough super-apes, angels, demons, fairies, minor spirits, major spirits, medium spirits, spirit mediums, gods, demigods, para-gods, supergods, double gods, reverse gods, godlike cosmic entities, embodiments of abstract concepts, blessed people, cursed people, wizards, people soaked in ghost juice, and people who acquired heritable superpowers from accidental exposure to unusual rocks and/or rays.

The x-gene could just be a little genetic note the Celestials installed that says "see if there's anything interesting you can activate in all this crap".

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wolfman counts as a non-minotaur monster.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Then he faces the League of Mutant-Hating Astrophysicists and can suddenly control everything but hydrogen and helium.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

He attends the Grammies and takes complete control of Jethro Tull.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Sneaks into an SCA meeting and manipulates roughly half of the elements in any one coat of arms.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultimates 3:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are great in early Ultimates, where they're just a running gag.

"Actually, if you slow down the footage, you'll see that we did most of the work."

Sure thing, eurotrash gropesters. :jerkbag:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

I will keep them for when I finish.

I've now read The Ultimates and really enjoyed it, Banner is such a dick and Dr. Pym is a complete twat. Thor is pretty good a tree hugger ex-mental patient, also like the whole Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch saving people if you slow the tape down you'll see it joke. The run was enjoyable so I'm hoping that The Untimates 2 is just as good. Ultimate Spider-Man continues to be great and I'm not sure what's happening with Ultimate X-Men but I was surprised with Xavier mind loving Magneto.

You are at the beginning of a magical journey, friend. I hesitate to say anything more than that, because I'm looking forward to seeing your pure reactions without any externally-created expectations. :allears:

Skwirl posted:

His Green Arrow was decent.

You know, that Stanley and his Monster twist felt so goddamn clever to me, when I initially read it. If I saw it for the first time now, it'd probably come off as another dumb "mature" crap-update of a whimsical character; but at the time, I thought it was an unexpected, creative use of a deep cut from the DC vaults. That it was over- grim didn't even factor in: it was just "well goddamn, I did not expect that, but it does fit".

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

yoscpos, bithc

yo, orson scott card is a piece of poo poo

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yeah, and dog was one of the, like, three? four? animals the Culhua-Mexica raised as livestock, but you don't ever see that kind of joke about Tex-Mex food or w/e. Dog-eating p. regularly comes up as a reference to Inscrutable + Weird Asian Practices.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Probably because they don't anymore?

Fair enough on that point, but I still reacted like Travis343.

Also it turns out there's a lengthy Wikipedia article on dog-eating, and way more cultures than I thought do it/did it. The loving Swiss!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Mike Carey's UFF is marred by absolutely horrible artwork. Worse than Land.

Motherfucker if you are talking about Pasqual Ferry, we are going to have a civil disagreement on a subjective matter right here, right now. :nono:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

And since all paths down Hulk's emotional flowchart lead to Anger, his reaction to meeting someone stronger than himself will probably be getting super mad about it.

Hulk is the strongest one there is, and any conflicts with that are self-correcting.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Years ago, the wisdom floating around was that if you had a box of back issues and wanted a good Marvel comic, pull out an issue of Daredevil, and if you wanted a good DC comic, pull out an issue of Flash. Both had and frankly still have an impressive ratio of good:bad over the years, especially since the early '80s.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

We're talking Flash comics?

It's going to take a lot of bad issues to counterbalance the Wally years. Even if I'm not the world's biggest Geoff Johns fan, I have to admit his JSA/Flash era stuff had a lot of charm at the time.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Stop letting WickedHate turn conversations to be about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

For some reason I always really liked those little discs that Mister Miracle uses to fly.

There's a crowd shot in some shortly-post-7S event comic where Shilo Norman is floating with both feet on a single aero-disc, his arms outstretched so his whole pose is cruciform. I always liked that image; it felt like the artist actually read 7S: Mister Miracle.