Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
In some point between like 2006 and 2008 or something, scans_daily was on livejournal and had not eaten itself and warren ellis posted there on occasion.

At one point, he was posting a surreal comic that had been written and published by a very odd mind. It was drawn like a normal 80's comic but the dialog was obviously written by an unwell drugged mind.

Some parts I remember: A character was waving his hands and telling about how he was molding something from "air jelly". Some characters drove a car off a cliff shouting "Do you see what I see???"

Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Gavok posted:

Hey, man, you're not the one who has to deal with comment sections full of, "Um, actually!"

Anyway, on a different note, a few months ago someone posted these awesome pages in the touching panels thread about Megatron joining the Autobots and then being accused of possibly turning evil again in the future and going on a murder spree. What ever happened with that story?

It continued in More than Meets the eye, and he is still an autobot and still no one can trust him.
He did not commit the murder spree and he ended up saving the day but that's not to say all suspicion and distrust has been averted or that Megatron's character arc in the story was straightforward at all, or even if Megatron is 100% A Good Guy (he still would put a few hundred cybertronian lives above the lives of billions of organics).

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
well it's not so much IDW doing it as much as it is James Roberts being a phenomenal writer.
it helps that he writes megs as a bitter old man.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Megatron only changed his plea after starscream used his chance to testify with a long and hilariously demeaning speech.

basically megatron was pleading guilty and hoping for a quick trial and execution but starscream hosed up everything again

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Death of Optimus is the start for the two ongoings and then you can read the two ongoings through.

Only other prerequisites I'd recommend are the comics written by James Roberts from before the ongoing: Last Stand of the Wreckers for some events in his comic and Chaos Theory, two issues of the previous ongoing. This is more important for the megs business, its about prime and megs during the war finally having a discussion and has some of their past history as well, including one of megatrons major motivations.

More than Meets the Eye is where all this megatron business happens, and is by James Roberts.
Robots in Disguise is the other ongoing not by james roberts, and it's not as good but still interesting and plot relevant, for instance it explains why starscream is running things on cybertron

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
i too spend my time deeply considering superhero cum

:cumpolice:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Endless Mike posted:

Can I talk about IRL junk for a moment?

No

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Madkal posted:

Were there ever any prominent female writers back in the day, or were all the characters being written by men?

bobkatt013 posted:

Louise Simonson

Rhyno posted:

He meant to say "that weren't terrible. "

qntm posted:

"Sorry, due to your poor writing, you count as a man"

Rhyno posted:

Huh. That might explain Gail Simons's burly knuckles.

here's the whole loving conversation for goons who do not understand what "context" means

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
okay this is a long shot.

Years ago when livejournal was a thing there was one called scans_daily that got so popular that Warren Ellis and Gail Simone became regular contributors.

Warren Ellis in particular posted a comic that was not modern, had fairly normal looking art, bur had actions and dialog that were completely insane, main character was wandering around babbling about some kind of drug influenced philosophy, waving his hands around to mold things out of "air jelly", driving a car off a cliff screaming "Do you see what I see?"

Of course the whole blog was deleted and googling doesn't help when I can't remember much besides Warren Ellis posting it, but does anyone know what I could possibly be talking about.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Could it have been Stardust the Super-Wizard by Fletcher Hanks? That was batshit insane, but I'm not sure if it was the right kind of batshit insane.

No it wasn't Stardust. The setting did not have superheros or magic. It mostly took place in a forested area.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Cyphoderus posted:

Was it Shade: The Changing Man? I can't remember the exact scene you're describing but it fits the bill for all the individual elements.

again no, I would've remembered if it was that.

Nothing was weird about the visuals.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Transformers started as a four part series and became an ongoing, last issue said 80 of a four part series.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The episode was really brought from "lame episode of a children's show" to "ugh, is this a republican nasty old man's political cartoon" by ladyhero's portrait on the wall of cats licking each other.

Kind of like just calling her the d slur.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
deathmate is such a terrible title for an even shittier premise, the gently caress was anyone thinking with that poo poo

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
this is counter to my point that it is dumb how?
(Yeah kids might be like "YEY SEX" but other than that it's just plain dumb)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

CzarChasm posted:

Finally getting around to starting comixology, it looks like they have pretty much everything. I know what I want from the big two, but I want to know about good jumping on points for a few series

Transformers (I know there's MTMTE and I want to say Robots in Disguise series)
TMNT
Ghostbusters

Also it looks like they have issues the day they come out or at least the week they come out? Marvel still has about a week delay, right?

Transformers:
Start with Death of Optimus, and the ongoings continue from there.
RID eventually drops its subtitle

For MTMTE the only other comics I'd recommend are Last Stand of the Wreckers (also by James Roberts) and two issues of the previous comic that were also James Roberts, but neither are essential, and no other knowledge of IDW tf is required.

For RID... Idk, John Barber has a little bit more interest in continuity and a few issues are actually just devoted to fixing continuity errors, but I wouldn't think it would be required. He also makes more references whereas John Rogers is trying to make new things. Just look at https://tfwiki.net for anything you don't get, the wiki is well organized and humorous, continuities are separated very well on each entry instead of just dumped together. (RID also eventually drops its subtitle)

They eventually tie together in Dark Cybertron, and when that ends that's the jumping on point for the Windblade comics, a third series which is actually more entertaining than RID IMO.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
How many symbiotic are there in canon