Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has Tom DeFalco ever explained why the hell he wrote 100+ issues of Spider-Girl in the second person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Inkspot posted:

Is there a Batman arc where some shady businessman establishes 24/7 daylight in Gotham? I think it might have had something to do with crystals.

Are you mixing up Batman with Dr Dinosaur?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

I'm chomping at the bit for the obligatory Willie Lumpkin/Cliff Clavin fight scene.

"Well, y'see, it's a little known fact that the sound we associate with the letter 'S' doesn't exist in Latverian..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Is it during the early days as it could be Angel.

This is probably it, it's exactly the kind of continuity that Busiek loves. Though it plays against the whole idea that the meeting of Namor and the Torch was the beginning of the age of Marvels. (And can I just say how much it bugged me that Strucker said 'miracles' at the end of Captain America 2?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zachack posted:

Maybe the roots had embedded in a boulder and Colossus was trying to lift himself. Maybe it was Krakatoa's toe.

More like Kraka-toe-a!

:downsrim:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I love when writers manage to nail Spidey's sense of humour.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mister Mind posted:

There's a backup story in JLA #50 where Guy goes to the DC offices to yell at them for it.

Huh, I didn't know you could post on Newsarama with a rotary phone.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When was the last time Shamrock appeared in a Marvel comic proper?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
HG Wells would never murder anyone. He was friends with Superman!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Wolverine could be killed with a shotgun back then. Originally it was kind of like Time Lord regeneration rules. Can heal from anything as long as he doesn't die from it first, and he was about as durable as the average (albeit really fit, and possibly with superhuman agility) human.

With the exception of skeletal trauma, which he was immune to, obviously.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

You can't perform brain surgery with a chainsaw.

See, you say 'can't'....

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

prefect posted:

So you're saying that EC published comics that were actually good instead of being popular. Got it. :thumbsup:

Oh, so you've never heard the White Album or Joshua Tree, then? That's sad, they're really good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's almost certainly talking about the Darkseid incident. More people should watch Superman:TAS. It's really good, and the Darkseid episodes especially so. The show ends with basically only Lois and Supergirl trusting Superman after what happened, and leads directly into the New Gods story in Justice League and the Cadmus/Waller stuff in JLU.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

"In the end, the world didn't need a Superman... Just a brave one."

:cry:

See, the thing I remember most about that two-parter was them committing to Maggie Sawyer's character, even if they had to be super-subtle about it.
Turpin's death is a powerful moment, no doubt, and a wonderful tribute to Jack.

And the quote I remember most from the whole run?

"I am many things, Kal-El. But here? I am God."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Season 1 has the faux JSA episode and the one with the Injustice Gang, where Batman wins by seducing Cheetah and bribing the Ultra-Humanite. So you're wrong.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I love the Legends two parter so much. I miss the DCAU a whole lot.

Not-Jay Garrick backhandedly praising Green Lantern with "You're a credit to your race, son!" and John's :crossarms: "Thanks?" slays me every time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Also, having formerly associated with Stark but then switching sides to join (Captain) America, Spider-Man is Stalin.

Why do you think he hangs around with Scarlet Spiders, hmm?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm still a little surprised his Exiles run didn't have a Kitty Pryde, but maybe he had his hands full with the no-foolin' 616 Psylocke on the team.

...It did, though? They just called her Kat. His Exiles was basically every X-lady he's known for fawning over, bar Storm.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 26, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

That is way too detailed for what the show is probably going to shorten into "loved character A, died saving city, has fire powers".

They've cast the other two dudes who commonly make up Firestorm. And this is a show that has had Rainbow Raider and Grodd appear.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

chime_on posted:

It is. Written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray, it is a super-weird blend of horror and war/espionage based around the black comedy premise of sending an undead soldier on what would otherwise be suicide missions. The covers are by Darwyn Cooke, interior art is by Scott Hampton. It's a gem that I don't think anyone besides me is reading, so I'm sure cancellation is in the cards.

Palmiotti and Gray managed like a hundred issues of Jonah Hex and I think about 7 people read it. Plus Jimmy's also co-writing one of their biggest sellers, that might buy him some leeway for a pet project.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

I am reading Simonson's Thor very slowly (like an issue a week) and it's all good, just that I don't have much stamina to power through the run as I could with modern comics.

My preference is done-in-one comic stories that don't have old-school exposition. Today I read an issue of Batgirl (Steph) and Supergirl beating Dracula clones and being BFFs but nooooo we gotta write for trade/build up events...

That issue was so great, and spun out of a surprisingly fun World's Finest mini that focused on how all of the Bat and Super families worked together. Like one issue would have Damien, Kara and Stephanie, another had Nightwing and Nightwing, I think.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There was also a really fun Supergirl/Robin team-up that I'm fuzzy on if it was in that miniseries, or in the actual Supergirl ongoing. (I think it was around the time that Kelly Sue Deconnick was writing Supergirl?) Damien being a pompous sexist little poo poo while no-one took him seriously which was hilarious.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

While not bad art I did drop that new Bucky series after the first issue because the art was so incomprehensible.

I've been too lazy to click the cancel subscription button in Comixology, but... yeah, I'd possibly like the book a LOT more if I could tell what was going on (though the whole 'Winter Soldier IN SPACE' thing isn't really my bag anyway. ). I'm fairly sure the letterer can't even tell. At one point in the first issue, there's a conversation between Bucky and Daisy, and I'm pretty sure the speech bubbles are assigned randomly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sejic's webcomic is getting a release from Image over Christmas, too, if you can check it out in a store maybe before his first issue of RQ comes out?

I mean, you could also read it on his DeviantArt, but... y'know, you'd need to make a DA account, and who wants to do that?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

It's like 99.9% confirmed (through context clues from her inner monologue) that it's SHIELD Agent Roz Solomon from the previous Thor God of Thunder series. But yeah, still no explicit reveal yet.

I think Aaron's a better writer than Loeb, but Red Hulk literally appeared in a panel alongside the dude he turned out to be. Don't underestimate how far comic book writers will go for a red herring.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Loeb changed the identity. The same guy who leaked Skrull Elektra was 99% certain that Red Hulk was Betty Ross.

And then they did that anyway.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When was the last time Steve Trevor was treated as a serious love interest for Diana, actually? It feels like that's still considered the 'default' when I don't think it's been the case since at least CoIE.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ann Nocenti's run is also pretty essential, particularly the introduction of Typhoid Mary.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

Hi. I am pretty new to comics so forgive me if this is a weird question. I was pretty excited for Squirrel Girl #2 to come out today, but when I talked to my local comic book shop they said that they just . . . didn't get their shipment/order. And that it'd be a week or two before the replacement order would show up. Again, I'm new to comics . . . Is that normal? For orders to just not show up? Or is this shop run by idiots or something?

Welcome to Diamond. (The company that distributes basically all print comics) If your shop is not a huge customer or a big chain, then yes, them getting hosed over is not uncommon. Especially for a more niche book like Squirrel Girl.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The new direction for Megatron is the greatest thing that's ever been done with the character.

Case in point, Megatron is on trial for his war crimes and has decided to change his plea

...What the gently caress is Optimus wearing/being?

And what's Megs' defence?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 8, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Inkspot posted:

Strangers in Paradise.

This.

Alison Bechdel's Dykes To Watch Out For (lesbian focused sitcom/slice-of-life soap opera), and her memoir comics Fun Home and Are You My Mother?

Stuck Rubber Baby (gay man coming of age in the South during the Civil Rights Movement)

There's a ton of cape books, but it seems like even among queer creators, girl/girl is way more popular than male gay/bi/queer characters, if that's what your friend's interested in reading about? The X-Men franchise is always a good bet. Young Avengers, obviously. Kieron Gillen and Terry Moore seem to be pretty good at making an effort in this regard. So're Gail Simone and Marc Andreyko. There's some content in Empowered, but that book's not for everyone, obviously.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Y: The Last Man has some decent LGBT characters. Depending on your taste, there's also Hothead Paisan: Adventures of a Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist. Alan Moore's books usually have some queer folks in them but in the big, well-known stuff they're often dead or seriously oppressed.

If that side of things doesn't bother them, though, Top Ten has some good stuff, especially the prequel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wait, I thought Speed was the straight one? (I guarantee if you ask Morrison, he'd say Noh-Varr isn't confined by gender or species.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, tangentially related, the current Rat Queens artist (the Croatian guy that did a ton of Witchblade, not the domestic abuser), has a pretty decent lesbian romance/erotica webcomic that he touched up and had put out in print by Image recently: Link

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like that that statement has now caused us to argue that no-one in that book is straight.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Mystique had a solo series briefly; it's from that. Sean McKeever, I believe, wrote it.

Not that briefly. There's two bigass trades of it. BKV had a run on it, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

You know I actually asked someone about the symbiote weird teeth and tongue stuff a few weeks ago. Their response was that it figures out what is cool and intimidating from its host, and Peter was just too much of a nerd to think spikes and massive teeth were rad.

Which... is actually kind of a neat way of looking at it. Peter thinks he's pretty rad already as Spider-Man, so it just looked like a Spider-Man outfit, except based on the new Spider-Woman he'd just met. Brock is a delusional jock of a journalist, so he thinks teeth and drool are cool. Flash was a marine, so he thinks army guys are the most scary to baddies, so he mostly just looks like a grunt. Except now he's in space, and he looks like Master Chief.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 24, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Did Jean start talking about the focused totality of her psionic power?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

Wasn't that the Goat-Beast series?

Yes. It was also full of very dynamic, expressive art from Sanders and great writing by Gillen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

Aaagh OK. So I'm pretty new to comics in general. Spider-Man never really interested me so I haven't read any of it but Spider-Gwen looks rad so I am subscribed to her new series and trying to catch up on the cameos she's had in the other Spider comics. I found Edge of Spider-Verse #2 . . . but apparently she goes back even further than that because I open it to find even more "PREVIOUSLY IN SPIDER-WOMAN". Can someone tell me which issues of what series to grab to get her whole backstory, or at least tell me how to figure it the heck out myself? I am looking at wikis and things but I am not finding any that do a good job of citing when things happened in what issues. Also holy crap the "Spider-verse" is a huge confusing mess.

I was about to write a big long thing, but, assuming you're not joking, the 'previously in' page in that issue is a gag/framing device. They're presenting it like it's just a random issue of Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman, that happens to end with a tie-in to Spider-Verse. That 'Previously' IS the backstory. There is nothing else.