Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

"Like an elephant stepping on a bag of chips" as Dr. Strange put it.

He lost the use of his bedside manner in the car accident, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ror posted:

Has Strange ever actually shown insight or expert knowledge about the human brain that might be expected from a neurosurgeon?

I always figured that Stan Lee needed his surgeon to sound really brilliantly impressive so he made him a neurosurgeon, but it's a wholly separate subset of expertise from like a hand surgeon or cardiac surgeon. He should be Wolverine's go-to guy for amnesia questions.

Maybe brain stuff just clashes with magic stuff too much. Never! :doom:

I just checked "The Origin of Doctor Strange" (which everyone should have in reach at all times), and he's never called a neurosurgeon in it. In the five panels where he's still a doctor, he acts as a surgeon with no detail on what operation he performed, he refuses to take part in a research project where "We could find the cure for-", and he looks at a head and chest x-ray. Nothing really says neurosurgeon in that to me.

While I'm sure some lazy writer has just dropped "neurosurgeon" into his description, Strange has never been portrayed as one. I checked a few different retellings of his origin (look, they're all next to each other on the shelf, okay) and none of them said anything other than surgeon or gave any hint that he was a neurosurgeon.

Also, it's been implied that he was a surgeon in the 1930's. He doesn't age (though some writers have screwed that up) so a few guys have decided that the original origin from Strange Tales is exactly how it happened with no need for updating.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Roger Stern's run from the late 1970s is highly regarded (he also wrote the Triumph and Torment graphic novel) but it's never been collected to the best of my knowledge.

It's in Essential Dr. Strange Volume 4.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It's in Essential Dr.Strange 3, and I didn't know there was a 4th Essential, so I should pick that up.

Marshall Roger's art in that incredibly short run he did is just amazing. I might like him even better than Gene Colon.

Of course Colon has an advantage of his work looking much better in black and white than it did with the crummy seventies coloring.

Oh, and the Fantastic Four crossover is pretty awesome, too.

Skwirl posted:

If you dig Silver Age stuff the first 3 Essential Strange are pretty good, but I wouldn't blame you for just skipping over the part where he has a secret identity, also Essential Defenders 1 at least is pretty good too and features Strange, I haven't read the later volumes.

That whole block from the death of the Ancient One through Englehart is really rough. Even the Shuma Gorath storyline suffers from having four different writers across six issues. But Englehart knocks the mysticism stuff out of the park.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This is going back a few weeks, but I have found story where Loki wields Mjolnir. Not a fake, not a "Odin lets him do it for a while", but legitimately going around hammering guys.

Thor 179-181, Loki pulls a Face/Off with Thor and they swap faces. Somehow this is sufficient to confuse Mjolnir and Loki can wield the hammer while Thor cannot. The story is resolved when Loki lets the hammer slip away for sixty seconds and that turns Thor with Loki's face back into Don Blake.

No, this story makes absolutely no sense with how Mjolnir is later portrayed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Also look at how quickly Dick Grayson lasted as Batman.

edit: I'm giggling to myself at the idea of people looking up at the moon and thinking "those are pretty awesome words Superman, but who the gently caress is Clark Kent and why should I listen to him?"

Like anyone would be able to read it anyway. Here's roughly what it would look like from the earth:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I think people had telescopes back then.

Yes, but it does diminish the impact of the inspiring message when every time you look up you can just see squiggles.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Infinity War. Galactus appealed to Eternity on behalf of the heroic side believing they still had the gauntlet in their possession and planned to use it to stop Magus.

And then undone again at the end. Except everyone forgot that. Like they forget that the gauntlet is an absolutely meaningless item. Just because Thanos stuck them onto the least smelly left handed glove he had in the hamper that morning doesn't mean that the gems always have to be stuck onto a giant orange glove in order to work.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I don't think that was ever addressed, likely because Daredevil is originally from before the era of massive personal injury lawsuits. Here's an off the cuff no-prize explanation, they did sue, but went with the first ambulance chaser they met who got chewed up and spit out by whatever high priced attorneys the other side hired.

Sorry but eight-year-old Matt could win that lawsuit with one hand tied behind his back and he's the worst lawyer on earth. An ambulance chaser would take one look at this case and go out and buy a new summer home. The attorney's for the trucking company would sigh because they'd have to really work to get billable hours out of the case since it's such a slam dunk that they won't get to do anything.

It may have never been addressed in the book, but since Matt is extremely well off in the comics (except when he isn't) and his father was a down on his luck boxer in a slum, I think we can safely say that there was some kind of major payout that happened. Matt has too much money even by incredibly incompetent hot-shot lawyer standards. If I was writing the story, I'd say that his father put almost all of it in a trust that he couldn't touch and then the money that he had set aside eventually ran out. Matt got the money shortly after graduating and used it to buy his brownstone and set up his first law office.

Of course, this would be a really boring story so that would be why I'm not writing it.

CapnAndy posted:

I think there's a solidly No-Prize-worthy explanation for that, though. The gems literally warp reality; it would take exactly one person wielding the Gauntlet who thinks that you need the Gauntlet to control all six gems to make it true.

Except that would work in reverse as well, anyone handling the gems who says, "Yeah, I'm not really into wearing gloves," and they no longer require it.

Also, Ronan doesn't have a hammer. It's a Universal Weapon (not "the Universal Weapon" since all accusers have them). They just happen to look like hammers.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Weird thought on the Matt Murdock lawsuit: "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. Everyday young Matt here would rush home from school so he could study, improve himself. He studied so hard that he didn't even play with the children in the neighborhood. Not only did the defendants carelessness nearly kill the elderly Mr. Stick and blind my client, they also directly led to the loss of his pets, the only friends that little Matt had in the world."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Here's a question that pooped into my mind today at the flea market when I saw a stack of Youngblood comic books for 4€ (the stack, not per issue): do people who grew up reading that stuff have some kind of attachment to it? Do people wax nostalgic over Rob Liefeld comics?

Yes, there's a lot of people who are nostalgia for terrible Image comics. The sickos.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

I remember reading a series for the original New Universe called Justice. It was about a guy who was an alien cop who somehow (?) incarnated in a human form. He had these powers where he could yell "shield!" and a shield would form on his hand, and if he wanted to wreck fools he could shout "sword!" and he'd have some kind of energy attack. Both of them were really square and Simonson-esque. From what I recall he was rooting out shape-shifting aliens (dire wraiths?) and all the attendant confusion and persecution that entails. If I recall correctly he was then retconned into something else completely by the end of the series. Anyway, long explanation, but was it ever collected anywhere? I kind of want to see if I remember it like it was originally presented.

Never collected, but when the New Universe imploded after a year, they dumped the book onto this jerk from the sales department who kept begging for the chance to write a book. I think you'd be a bit surprised at what he did with it.

The jerk being Peter David and he essentially Anatomy Lesson-ed Justice to say he was just suffering under a delusion.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Considering part of the Krypton's origin story generally is that since they were huge assholes who wouldn't listen to Jor-El, I always figured they'd do the same thing to any GL who showed up and just tell them to gently caress off.

Not all of them were assholes. There was the guy who agreed with Jor-El and built a full sized escape rocket...

in Kandor. Whoops!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Didn't one of Barry's origins have him deciding on "The Flash" because of Jay Garrick comics?

Yes, the very first one had Barry taking on the name because he liked reading Jay Garrick comics.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

In a What If from when he first joined the X-men he was secretly working for Magneto. In the end he double crosses Mags, and Magneto, in a fit of murderous rage, pops Wolverine's claws and has Wolverine decapitate himself. He didn't survive that one.

See, that's one way that you couldn't kill Wolverine. Three claws means that some of them are being blocked/deflected by the metal skeleton. You have to pop one claw and then use that to sever the head.

Honestly, decapitation seems to be the worst way to kill Wolverine. I mean, it'll do it, but you've got to get into the space in the vertebrae and that's pretty difficult. I mean, if you're Magneto or the Juggernaut you can just grab the skull and feet and pull in opposite directions, but if you're using a sword it's just not going to work.

It seems to me that you're better off taking advantage of the fact that he has to breathe. Disable Wolverine, restrain him, and pour molten lead down his throat. You should get a nice coating of his lungs as it burns on the way down and that'll take care of him.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

You could also regular drown him, like Daken. You don't have to go completely Garth Ennis.

Well, sure. And it's not like he can swim. Wolverine's greatest foe is the Olympic sized swimming pool. The problem is that Wolverine's healing powers are so magical I wouldn't trust that he could die directly of of oxygen deprivation, starvation, or thirst. Making sure that even if his lungs come back that he won't be able to use them is a good option.

And it's a bit more dramatic than pushing him off the diving board.

Also, any plan to kill Wolverine really has to start with "disable him". It's been done plenty of times so we know it's possible, then you just have to pick your methodology.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 23, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zoux posted:

So the leaked trailer made me wonder: has Hulkbuster armor ever worked?

It always makes fans go, "Oooooh! The Hulkbuster! Now things are going to get real!" That's a kind of working, I guess.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

In a tragic state of affairs, Ironman has never said the lines "Who are you Gonna' call" or "I aint afraid of No Hulks" while wearing this armour in 616 continuity.

(IIRC, this was the first time they actually used Hulkbusters in the comics, too...)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Jughead's hat is a thing kids used to do, they would take an old fedora that their dads couldn't use anymore, cut up the brim in a jagged line and then use pins to stick it up in a crown shape.

Huh, I thought someone actually made those hats back in the 40's, but that might have come after the character.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

What do people get out of podcasts? I'm not being obtuse, there's a few non-comics ones I listen to, but my wife wants to start one.

Most of the comics ones I've seen are multi hour affairs. They all tend to get rambly and off topic. The podcasts I like are generally shorter, less than an hour at least. They usually end up off topic too, but get back on track quicker.

I initially took your question as being broader than I think you mean.

The podcasts I like tend to be tightly focused. I don't like the "three to four nerds go on forever about their topic" casts at all; those kinds of shows are bad enough when they're run by actually entertaining people. I want a show to be about something more than catching up on the hosts lives over the past week. Whether that's by having a format that keeps things moving and on track or by using narrow topics to reign things in. Thirty minutes to an hour seems to me to be the best length of a podcast since it'll generally fit nicely into your life. And I know this is just me, but I hate the "what happened this week in our nerd niche" kind of podcast.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

What occupies the rest of the Baxter Building?

Reed and the FF's stuff only seems to be in the top few floors.

Offices for the most part. Typically the FF occupies the top five floors of the building, though they're larger than the standard floors. We've seen tenant meetings in the past, plus on occasion someone is referenced as having an office there. I suppose technically they also hold the shaft that runs down the building to channel the rocket thrust when they launch from midtown (there's vibrational baffles so that the whole building doesn't shake when they do that or land a helicarrier there).

IIRC, the original Baxter building was about fifty stories tall, Four Freedoms Plaza was about 90 stories tall, and I'm not really sure how tall the new Baxter Building is. The FF bought the Baxter Building and the land around issue 255 when their landlord was going to evict them for getting the top few stories blown off the building.

I'm trying to figure out now about how much office space in the Baxter Building would cost. It's definitely in midtown even if you don't trust the official maps, but is the FF residing there a pro or a con? Can you get insurance when you set up your offices in a building owned by someone who have been targeted by multiple skyscraper destroying terrorist attacks and are extremely likely to be hit again? I would think working there would be disruptive, but at the same time there's a kind of prestige to celebrities being upstairs and coming through the lobby all the time. And does having Willy Lumpkin deliver your mail increase the property value?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redbackground posted:

I thought that Spidey Super Stories #39 would fit what you're looking for, but I forgot that it's the Cosmic Cube Thanos is trying to pilfer, not anything Gauntlet-related.

Which is a remake of the Captain Marvel story.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm currently reading the Great Darkness Saga from Legion of Super-Heroes; was this the first time Darkseid was used as the villain for a major story arc outside Jack Kirby's stories?

No, in the 70's he turned up in the JLA as part of the annual JLA/JSA crossovers after Kirby left DC. I think that was the first time that the New Gods characters had been used since Kirby. By the time the Great Darkness Saga came along, Darkseid was the villain in the Super Friends cartoon for the final season.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

In the first episode of Justice League, isn't one of the reasons the white martians/HG Wells war of the worlds aliens so easily take over is all the world governments agree to give up their most deadly weapons, because they trust Superman to handle the major threats? I don't think the various animated series have as tight of continuity as people think.

The Superman cartoon was dope, and honestly the reason I could never get into the Justice League cartoon was because Tim Daly couldn't come back as Superman because he was too busy doing that Fugitive reboot tv show no one remembers ever existed.

That first season of Justice League is god-loving-awful, but it did improve dramatically with the season season (thanks to Bruce Timm coming back and bringing people like Dwayne McDuffie on board) and then the third is easily the best superhero show ever produced. The fourth season is an unfortunate afterthought with some very good moments.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the only core members of the main FF team who have officially, properly died are Ben and Johnny.

However, Reed was out the book and believed dead for quite a while in the 1990s during the DeFalco/Ryan run; he had actually been exiled to the distant past by Hyperstorm, the son of Franklin Richards and Rachel Summers from an alternate version of the DOFP timeline, and subsequently gets revenge by getting Galactus to eat him.

He certainly "died" in the comic book sense. This was the cover to the issue where he died:

It was more than two years before he came back.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Man, I know DeFalco's run gets slagged off a lot (I like what I've read of it, but where the FF is concerned I'll often be more charitable than I might be towards runs on many other series; I acknowledge it's a bit of a blind spot, but most of the time, I'm indifferent to a bad FF run, and it'd need to be really awful, like Identity Crisis or OMD level awful, for me to hate it), but by and large, Paul Ryan's art was really good in it.

The best the De Falco run gets is serviceable superhero comics. Not good. Not bad. Just kinda there. And that's the high points. It has more than its fair share of lows. Sue's costume change. The whole "Reed is dead" arc. That Hyperstorm poo poo. But if you asked me for the worst FF runs (and I've read every issue so I've been through them), he doesn't compare. Englehart. Claremont. Millar. Straczynski. Those guys were complete disasters for extended periods. I'd even take De Falco over Thomas's and Wofman's runs, though my main complaints about them is that they're just bland.

And yeah, Paul Ryan was great. It's a shame he never managed to break out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Out of curiosity, besides the original Lee/Kirby stuff and Waid or Hickman's runs, what would you say were the great FF runs?

Well, the obvious two you missed: Byrne and Simonson.

Really, those five are the only periods where I'd really call FF good for extended periods. There have been a handful of super short runs that were good (MacDuffie) and some one off issues or arcs, but there's a of bad FF out there..

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zoux posted:

Please 616 Reed is no worse than Francisco Franco.

Say what you will, but Reed-616 made the negative zone portals run on time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Chris Claremont and Alan Davis doing Fantastic Four might've been pretty cool, but not in 1998; I think the Claremont who wrote Excalibur could've done a good job with FF.

I don't know. I think it wouldn't be long until he was Claremonting it up all over the place, which is essentially what happened in the FF run. Claremont 1980 might have been an interesting FF run since that was before we got a chance to become horrified by him.

I recall Lobdell quitting to go do something else rather than actually getting kicked off the book, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was actually him getting pushed out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

I haven't read the original Hulk run beyond issue #1, but was there ever an explanation why Hulk became green from gray (and switching every now and then over the years)?

Per Stan Lee in The Origins of Marvel Comics (which means take with a heavy dose of salt), the real-world explanation for why he was gray and then became green was that the color separation caused a really inconsistent look for the Hulk when he was gray. It was so off in one panel toward the end that the Hulk looked green and Stan went, "Hey... that could work!"

The comic book explanation is... well, it was ignored for twenty-five years. It was the first issue so no one really cared and it was essentially trivia for comic nerds. Then Peter David came along in that period when everyone was going, "How about we try revamping things a bit." The Hulk was hit by a second gamma bomb and everyone thought he was dead. Instead, he went back to the original Hulk rules: gray skin, average intelligence, more malevolent, and changing at dusk and dawn. That was the Mr. Fixit period. Then the Hulk starts having issues where he starts going green, Banner is raging and childlike, he partially transforms, and things like that. That's when David whips out the thing that's kind of defined the character since then: the Hulk isn't like multiple personalities, Bruce Banner literally has MPD and each personality is a different facet of the Hulk. Then he gets therapy to resolve these personalities into one, commonly called Professor Hulk by fans, but that's its own story.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

prefect posted:

I want to say that the book-number limit was why they had so many split books, like Strange Tales, featuring Nick Fury and Doctor Strange. (A natural pairing.)

Yep. And several of Marvel's big titles were bimonthly to stretch the printing schedule.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be fair, as aforementioned in this thread, a number of early Marvel books would feature two characters, so a lot of early Marvel stories were crazy short. This, of course, wasn't that atypical of the time, a lot of the old monster / sci-fi tales that preceded (and influenced) Marvel superheroes in books like Tales to Astonish also stuffed two stories into a single comic.

This wasn't restricted to Marvel, of course; DC comics usually had multiple 8-page stories at the time. Initially when they did tell only one story in the comic it was touted on the cover as a "book-length epic".

Die Laughing posted:

The Inhumans initial story was three and a half issues spanning issues 45 through the first half of 48. Guess they were just feeling epic for that half a year. Then they follow those up with two great single issues.

And that Inhumans story grew out of an extended Frightful Four story that played out over the course of about a year. Which itself was broken up by a two issue crossover with Daredevil. Really FF #30 to #60 was absolutely revolutionary and all comic nerds should be familiar with those issues.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 17, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zoux posted:

Greg Land must be the master of hitting deadlines, it's the only explanation.

Honestly, this may have a lot to do with it. The history of comics is littered with guys who are okay artists at best but get a lot of work on being reliable. Herb Trimpe and Don Heck are the first two guys I think of in terms of Marvel comics and this situation.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zoux posted:

Has an artist ever driven down sales on a book, outside of missing deadlines?

Absolutely. Besides the out and out "bad artists" that make people drop books, the high point of this was in the 90's. When a superstar artist would come on or leave it would have a huge effect on sales.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

It's one of those holdovers of when you could keep a lid on twists, really all serial media needs to get over that and just solider on when a twist gets spoiled.

If you're telling your story well, then having the twist spoiled doesn't matter.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just remembered a reader vote that I had forgotten about. At the end of the Giffen-DeMatteis run on Justice League there was a reader vote for who should be on the team and that was who was the team when Jurgens took over. For some reason the characters people liked on the previous run didn't work as well under Jurgens...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

And then Dan just started ditching cast members left and right. Brought in Bloodwynd and Maxima, put Beetle in a coma, destroyed Booster's armor, Fire lost her powers, Ice went home, Superman was dead.

It was a weak run on the book, but I can't blame him for that. He got handed a team that people thought would be funny when he was trying to do more straightforward superhero stuff.

OTOH, where were the Blue Devil voters in that? Way to show your support, guys.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, the whole "are Asgardians Gods?" question is one that Marvel has singularly failed to give a definitive answer to; there are stories that unequivocally say "they're Gods," there are others that clearly say "no, they're aliens," and there's no real need for Marvel to put their foot down one way or the other.

I find it strange that the comics at the moment strongly prefer the mythic side of things while the movies prefer the sufficiently advanced technology side.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

No, he's right. Shapeshifting herself a dick is one thing. Actually being able to impregnate someone would be totally different and be pretty close to just being able to copy anyone else's powers.

I disagree, but we're going down the very dark path of Larry Niven, Jim Shooter, and Chris Claremont. Do we really want to debate the nitty-gritty of how superpowered sex works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It has nothing to do with the sex itself. It's her power. At the time she could only change her outward appearance. She might be able to do it now because apparently she's been made stupidly overpowered as per usual, but she used to have limits.

She doesn't have plastic skin, she actually shifts around a lot, adding and removing mass. Look at this way, can Mystique look like a person with one hand? If she can then she has to loose and regrow a fairly complex body part. If she can do a thing like that then selecting what genitals she wants is just as reasonable.