Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

Dead, and replaced with Nick Fury Jr., who matches the film universe.

He's not dead is he? I thought he was just in hiding at one of his numerous secret bases, you know, like Fury does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

This is Nick Fury, the man practically has "No I didn't die, it was a LMD" as a super power.

Even if they decide to kill him off in the film (and not just a "Nick Fury is injured so SHIELD is rudderless during the Cap film), they can bring him back whenever they want.

And it looks like returning from death with no explanation is totally a viable option in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, if Coulson's anything to go by. He's an LMD, right? I haven't been watching Agents of SHIELD since everyone says it's bad, but they have to have revealed what his deal is by now, right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
^^ poo poo, beat me to the punch.

Madkal posted:

Is there a history of Nick Fury Jr? Did they give him much of a backstory or did he just appear because of the movie?

Oh there is, and it is stupider than you could think of.

The best part is, despite going by the name "Marcus" for roughly 30 years of his life, he decides to just start going by Nick Fury after somebody shows him his birth certificate. Like... who does that? I know people change their names all the time, but it's just so out of the blue to decide "Yeah I will go by my deadbeat spy dad's name"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 4, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah last I checked Quake was Director and Maria Hill was back to Deputy Director, unless something happened in Secret Avengers to change it.

Something did happen. Daisy tried to have the Secret Avengers kill the head of AIM in a super secret black ops mission that backfired and then the UN kicked her out and put Hill back on top. Have no idea what's happened since then, but that's just what I know from when somebody recapped Secret Avengers a while back in another thread.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SMP posted:

Avengers Assemble had an arc in it's first few issues where Thanos comes to earth and the guardians show up and work with the Avengers. It also gives a little explanation as to why the Badoon are attacking Earth in Bendis' first Guardians issue. You also need to account for the Trial of Jean Grey event post-Infinity.

Ah yes but you see the less we talk about the first arc of Avengers Assemble the happier we'll be.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Wonder Woman - I think both she and Supes took a ground zero hit recently. Self inflicted IIRC.

Wonder Woman survived by being wrapped in Superman's cape. I'm not sure if she's actually durable enough herself. Although it is of note that she got up and suffered zero effects of fallout, but I guess you can chalk that up to her being magic.

More answers:

Captain Marvel. Hell the whole Marvel family.
Resurrection Man
Mr. Immortal
Franklin Richards

Gag answer: Squirrel Girl.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 15, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Wasn't Captain Marvel was killed by a bunch of nuclear missiles in Kingdom Come?

Well, never mind then. I was thinking theoretically.

Oh, Lobo could probably survive with his bullshit healing factor.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Isn't one of Hulk/Red Hulk's big differences that Red Hulk actually has an upper limit to his strength while Hulk basically has no limit at all or did I make that up in my head?

Gavok posted:

Have either of Superman's solo comics done anything with his relationship with Wonder Woman?

Lobdell has had her show up in Superman, but mostly all they've done is make googly eyes at each other while Lobdell writes godawful narration/inner dialogue for Supes. I stopped reading the series a while back, but I know from random Tumblr panels he's had Clark give her her "Diana Prince" disguise (which Diana thinks is retarded) so that they could go on dates. She probably showed up while he was writing Action also, but I know no other solo writer yet has used her.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

So can Thor fly these days or is he still doing that hammer throw thing?

Pretty sure he just flies nowadays, with the catch that he has to be holding Mjolnir in order to fly. I'm not basing this on anything official, I've just seen way too many comics where Thor makes a storm happen for dramatic effect while he just floats in the sky.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 22, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Still the creepiest thing in the entire DCAU.

Counterpoint: The episode of TNBA where Barbara gets Fear Toxin'd and imagines her own death and the entire Bat-family's death/capture.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Well, I think Reed and Sue are the only Marvel marriage now. Spidey sold his to the devil, Storm and Panther split during AvX, Mockingbird was a skrull when she marries/divorced Hawkeye. I can't think of any other Marvel marriages. Maybe Kazaar and Shana? Black Bolt and Medusa?

Black Bolt and Medusa are married, yeah. They're probably gonna have some relationship issues once Medusa finds out that Black Bolt's been faking his own death and crashing with the Illuminati in Wakanda rather than spending time with her, but they're married for now. In fact, Black Bolt has 5 wives after Hickman's FF :pervert: (although I don't think we've ever really seen much of the other 4)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mania posted:

Ex-Wildstorm and new 52 - there's Apollo and Midnighter of Stormwatch/Authority.

Pre New 52, no idea if any of these characters are in the new 52 - Thunder & Grace from the Outsiders, Knockout & Scandal Savage & Jeannette from the Secret Six (though Knockout and Jeannette would be bisexual), Mikaal Tomas (Starman for awhile), Holly Robinson (Catwoman for awhile), Piped Piper (Flash rogue), Terry Berg (from the Green Lantern books, he was Kyle Rayner's assistant).

Vertigo books then have DC roots - there's Tefe Holland (Swamp Thing's daughter) and John Constantine (bi).

Pied Piper just got reintroduced. He's still gay. He's quit the villain game and is acting as a vigilante because he's dating a cop. The Rogues are all surprisingly cool with his sexuality but not with the "dating a cop" thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

That would be a huge loving change tho.

The incredibly strange laws of physics governing that world are why it's an elseworld! ALTERNATE EARTHS, BITCHES, YEEHAWWWW.

*jumps out of van, kills Spider-Man on the way out*

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Hey now, she was also an artificial Kryptonian who later turned into an angel. Totally within the rules.

Rhyno posted:

She wasn't Kryptonian. She was a clone of Lana Lang created with a genetic matrix. He powers were only superficially like Supermans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBJZwYpHUBo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it wants to evolve and create new life but its split up and its wielders really don't know what they're doing at all.

(Plus ultimately crab-whales are funny so I forgive it for being stupid)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Oh and then it became the lead in to the Nu52 so everyone REALLY hated it at that point.

Yeah I think that's the real thing with Flashpoint. If it hadn't been a reboot, then it just would've been another "dumb fake earth" story and people would either like it or be lukewarm on it. But because it is the thing that led to the New 52, people just hate it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

What's Batman think about all that. And is the whole Authority regular DC now?

New 52 Stormwatch's whole deal is that they're so top secret nobody knows about them at all, like the Justice League mixed with the Men in Black. I'm sure if some writer wanted to he'd make Batman know because of that horseshit "he's Batman" excuse.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Reboot Midnighter and Apollo apparently came back in the last issue. I dunno to what extent Starlin's muckin' about did/changed anything in the end.

loving nothing. Apparently whoever was after Starlin for the last issue (or was it two?) of Stormwatch didn't like Starlin's run at all and decided to undo all of his stuff. Pretty funny, really.

"I don't like this reboot so I'm just gonna loving UNDO IT."
"Oh yeah, well gently caress YOUR WHOLE STORY."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

He only had one eye in Age of Apocalypse. Age of Ultron too I think

Not as deformities, though, just lost them

And naturally, in Age of Ultron when he was a literal cyclops, he went by "Cable". One of the numerous :doh:-worthy moments of AoU.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So my little brother picked up some batarangs at a gun show last weekend (because where else would you find Batman stuff than at a gun show?) and we've been spending the past couple of days having fun just pitching them at a piece of plywood we set up against our garage and seeing how well we can get them to stick in/on target. Anyway, it occurred to me today, while going over to pull one out of the board, that "batarang" isn't really a proper term, is it? I mean, these days they're really more like bat-shuriken. In fact the only time I can ever really remember seeing Batman use a batarang like a boomerang is in the intro to Batman the Animated Series where he knocks the guns out of the guys' hands. So has Batman ever actuallly gotten a batarang to come back or does he call them that because Batman's actual Shameful Secret is that he loves a good pun?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Dazzler went goth.

Whoosh

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldMemes posted:

So what's going on with Booster Gold in the New 52? I remember that they had to jump through some hoops with his character in Flashpoint (since time messing up is kinda Booster's domain) - did they go "Booster forgot about the old timeline and Flashpoint because, um, he did" and ignore it?

Did they explain how he ended up hanging out with Jonah Hex? What happened to him after that? I rather like Booster Gold, and he's one of the chcracters who seems to have got pushed aside after Flashpoint. Has Renee Montoya shown up yet?

A brief history of Booster Gold in the New 52

Booster's status is confusing. He was in Justice League International, one of the first-run N52 titles, when none of the writers had any goddamn idea what sort of continuity, if any, existed in the New 52. It got canceled, and their last issue on the last couple of pages had Booster standing around in an empty room after beating up OMAC. Then another Booster in another outfit warps in, sees Superman and Wonder Woman making out on a monitor and goes "poo poo I'm too late! OH NOOOO" then fades away like Marty McFly in Back to the Future. Then present day Booster does the same.

No one sees him again until All-Star Western where Jonah Hex finds him acting as the sheriff of an old west town. He's semi-amnesiac and can't remember how he got there. He knows he's from the future, but doesn't remember quite how his time-travel powers work. He also doesn't remember quite what his powers are which leads to a funny scene where a bunch of cowboys shoot him and Booster freaks out but then the bullets just bounce off his force field. Then to avoid dying after he and Hex are falling off a cliff (he doesn't remember he can fly) he just randomly jumps through time, leaving Hex stranded in 2013 because he accidentally let go of Booster during their joyride through the timestream. After an arc that dragged on way too long, Booster shows up with his memory apparently returned and apologizes to Hex for the whole mess and takes him back to the proper time period.

Booster hasn't been seen since, but well, there's at least been something implied that Booster knows more about the nature of the New 52 than he lets on...

Montoya showed up in a picture frame in the GCPD in Batwoman, I think? Aside from that I'm pretty sure she's never been mentioned.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 17, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Would you count the time that Jason Aaron had the Red Right Hand send Logan to Hell? It's a little iffy because I mean, he didn't die per se because a demon was running around in his body on earth, but his soul did go to Hell.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

There was the Mark Gugenheim run on Wolverine during Civil War where Nitro vaporizes Wolvie down to a skeleton, and he comes back. The follow up arc goes into this a bit more by explaining that Wolverine personally pissed off the Angel of Death so that's why Wolverine can so often cheat death.

That one doesn't count because he never actually died. I mean, it's one of those bullshit times where he should've but he healing factors his way out. His inner monologue never even stops the entire time he's getting nuked and regenerating.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Where's the Nitro vs Snowflame crossover we've all been demanding?

In my dreams :swoon:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

All green Marvel dudes were gray first.

Few remember Gamora's run as a Vegas bouncer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

The previous run of Thor had ended during the Avengers: Disassembled period, and Oeming wrote a pretty interesting Ragnarok storyline that ended Asgard and all the Asgardians. You know, the way Ragnarok does.[1] When it was time for Thor to come back, he was a doctor in Oklahoma, and there was no Asgard, so he decided to put Asgard nearby.

[1] Yes, I know real Ragnarok doesn't kill everybody.

Also, it used to hover but then Norman Osborn and the Sentry knocked it out of the sky during Siege. Right before Fear Itself IIRC, Tony Stark volunteered to help the Asgardians fix themselves up a new Asgard by just taking the chunks of rock and towers that weren't destroyed, strapping some repulsors to them and getting them back in the air.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Considering part of the Krypton's origin story generally is that since they were huge assholes who wouldn't listen to Jor-El, I always figured they'd do the same thing to any GL who showed up and just tell them to gently caress off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

At one point a child called Daredevil "Red Batman"

Well of course he's Red Batman, everyone knows the real Batman wears red and blue!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

If somebody were to describe Alan Moore's work (Watchmen in particular) as "cryptofascist propaganda", what would be the best way to gently dissuade them?

Just nod and agree about Moore and then show them the cool work from this amazing guy The Original Writer!

Also:

Madkal posted:

As long Michael Ironside is voicing it I can see it.

ftfy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

The last time I can remember he busted it out was during WWH and he got whooped bad. Have Hulkbuster SHIELD teams ever worked vs. the Hulk?

Have SHIELD teams ever worked against anything? I mean, maybe if Nick Fury is leading them personally or something, but let's be real, SHIELD and HYDRA are totally suited to be eternal enemies because both consist entirely of a few memorable characters behind an army of redshirts that do nothing but get owned in every one of their appearances.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. The Superman animated run lives in the shadow of how much better Batman was, which ends up being unfair since it's one of the best treatments of Superman in any medium.

Superman TAS really was good. Plus Knight Time is the best episode of BTAS that wasn't actually a Batman episode and even features some Silver Age Superman bullshit powers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u27LYRdGoF0

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am that way. Frankly it all comes down to writing for me. Not to say art doesn't matter, I do really dislike some artists (gently caress Humberto Ramos), but none so much that I'll actively avoid a book I'm interested in just because they're on it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's like 99.9% confirmed (through context clues from her inner monologue) that it's SHIELD Agent Roz Solomon from the previous Thor God of Thunder series. But yeah, still no explicit reveal yet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

So I heard something about Axis changing Wanda and Pietro's backstories, what did it do?

They're not Magneto's kids. It's pretty obvious that the change happened so they can make Wanda and Pietro not mutants since the movie versions of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver won't be mutants thanks to Fox still having the X-Men film rights.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

And what's Megs' defence?

"It was the 80s man, I was strung out on energon, I wasn't in my right mind!"

alternately

"It wasn't me! ...Seriously, go to my wiki page, there's like 15 Megatrons, I don't even know which one I am."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

Wasn't that exactly the premise of the Bizarro episode of Superman the Animated Series?

I know Bizarro being an attempted failed Superman clone by Luthor is his New 52 origin, don't know about the rest.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I love that we live in a world where people think Mystique doing this is fine but fathering a child is too bizarre:

No, no, I'd be in the camp that says that growing two heads is too bizarre for "shapeshifter"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This conversation is rapidly approaching "Is the Thing's dick orange rock?" levels of uncomfortable/stupid.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is probably the worst debate/topic of discussion I have seen on an internet forum that didn't have something to do with Sonic the Hedgehog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Can anyone else think of Heroes or Villains who have radically changed power level/ motif from their starting appearances?

Guy Gardner: Warrior! Of course that didn't stick.

They're three different guys, but the title of "Blue Beetle" went from "magical" to "inventor/athlete" to "alien battlesuit"

75% of Teen Titans' power levels have been reduced to zero from their starting appearances since it's hard to be powerful six feet underground.