Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
There's a Superman story that I can't quite remember the name of, and I can't nail it down because every search term I try leads someplace else. It involves Mr. Mxyzptlk bringing a space shuttle into a space beyond the 5th dimension that not even Superman can safely penetrate, so he spends until the heat death of the universe studying the mysteries of 5th-and-beyond dimension stuff just to rescue the one guy aboard. I remember a scene where Superman visits the last god as he's dying, and then it turns out that Superman has grown so powerful in the interim that he's split off into an army of himself that he, the original, can control remotely. I'm sure one of you knows this but it's been bugging me for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
How is Green Arrow's chili recipe that he serves to the rest of the Justice League in any way painful to them? You can't put less than five tablespoons of spice (and not even hot spice, it's all smoky poo poo) into a pound and a half's worth of meat and expect it to taste better than dogfood. Are all the made-up cities that the Justice League come from in the Midwest?

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Low Desert Punk posted:

I'm reading the first X-Men issues, and there's a part where Magneto forms a magnetic barrier to keep a group of soldiers confined in one place. Has he ever used this power to just straight up crush someone (or a group of people) by making the barrier smaller and smaller? I've never really read any X-Men, is that even a power he still has? It seems pretty powerful, you could really do just about anything you want with it.

In the 2005 limited series follow-up to Age of Apocalypse, four of the Guthrie siblings attack the X-Men as revenge for letting Husk die during the Ilyana Rasputin rescue mission. When they threaten Magneto's kid with Rogue, he shows up late to the fight and snags Cannonball and Icarus in a metal shell. He's trying to contract it to the size of a beach ball when he realizes that Cannonball is nigh invulnerable when blastin', warning Guthrie that he can keep it up longer than Guthrie can. Cannonball gives in and BAM. He's probably done it before and/or since, but that's what I have off the top of my head.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
What's the appeal of Black Manta? All I know about him is he's Aquaman's nemesis and comes from that era where Black characters unilaterally put "Black" in front of their codename, except for Adam and Canary.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

2) Muties was Karl Bollers writing exactly what you described, with rotating art for six issues from a bunch of indie guys like Dean Haspiel and Charlie Adlard and other people I'm forgetting. I don't remember much of it at all, and before I looked it up I was mixing it up with Morlocks, another contemporary X-Men mini-series that was part of Geoff Johns's brief stint at Marvel, and was also a book about "regular people" mutants just trying to survive.

Has anyone read these since 2002?

Muties and Morlocks are both good stuff, some of the last gasps of the X-Men trying to say anything about societal issues before it was decided to take the line's identity away. They both make you feel bad after reading them, but that's kind of the point. I'd call them a more grounded, less in-your-face Marvel Ruins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
This could very well have been hearsay, I'm just trying to get verification one way or the other. I remember hearing years ago from some source I don't remember that back when Marvel and DC were amenable to crossovers that someone in one of the companies proposed a storyline where Storm and Wonder Woman were swapped for a while. Does this sound familiar to anyone else, and was the idea actually floated or am I imagining all this?