Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

zoux posted:

When they kill off a character, does that decision come from editorial or a writer typically?

Hard to give a definite answer on that but with established characters it probably starts with the writer 90% of the time and editorial just has to okay it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

There was stuff in the rules thread but it was got rid of because I think BSS has got to the point where everyone is alright for spoilers. Rule of thumb is that if the book is out you don't need to spoil it but commons sense and being considerate of other posters is always the main thing.

For example with the Nightcrawler bit I didn't spoil it because the character has already returned from the dead so them dying isn't really a big deal.

What? No, he's totally not going to come back form the dead at the end of the arc and they have no way heavily implied that Azazel could only invade heaven because Kurt was there.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 28, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

TwoPair posted:

The best part is, despite going by the name "Marcus" for roughly 30 years of his life, he decides to just start going by Nick Fury after somebody shows him his birth certificate. Like... who does that? I know people change their names all the time, but it's just so out of the blue to decide "Yeah I will go by my deadbeat spy dad's name"

Well if his name was Nick people would have figured it out even sooner and probably broken causality because him being the new Nick Fury was called the instant anybody heard about Batlescars.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Originally in Sins Past that was going to be Peter and Gwen, and Peter was going to have his deadbeat kids show up. It was a really bad idea in any case, and that's the "compromise" that J. Michael Straczynski got from editorial.

It was the perfect match of bad writing and bad editing.

He knew the compromise was worse, he had to, but he went forward as a basic "Screw you for compromising MY VISION!" to editorial.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Was Taters posted:

I loving hate to even ask, but is she saying no...? I mean she is saying no, right?

That's Peter's narration, it was written as consensual.

I choose to believe editorial put forward the "Okay but it has to be Norman's kids" to try and sink the storyline and JMS ran with it out of spite.

I need to believe that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

This is true of basically any comic from Marvel or DC, though. (And no, you're not expected to know all of that. All you need to know about Magneto is that he used to be a bad guy, now he's not, and his powers are wonky.)

Yeah all you need to know is Magneto used to be an interesting bad guy who's conflicts with the x-men made you question who was right and is now an uninteresting good guy who's powers are wonky.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Let's just go with the first explanation.

Hell last time it was referenced I'm pretty sure it was just hand waved as negative zone/cosmic rays pregnancy complications that only Doom had the facilities and know-how to deal with.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Skwirl posted:

You know, people bitching about all the current time travel shenanigans in X-Men clearly aren't long time X-Men readers.

No they are just sick and loving tired of it and extra pissed that Bendis changed the rules because by the old ones the original 5 could actually die or even change as it stands now they are blatantly immortal and immutable in that annoying "wink, wink all comic-book character are" way.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

They can still die. When you've already changed the rules you can make them whatever you want.

"Young Cyclops died but our Cyclops is still alive! How is that possible?"
"*Science bullshit*"

Yeah but Bendis keeps implying that if they die the time stream breaks so if he breaks that rule he's broken the handshake agreement between fiction writers and fiction reader. "I'll set some rules and mostly stick to them. And we'll pretend that you couldn't break the rule whenever you want."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Daredevil should spend most of his time passed out from the unbelievable amount of pain he should be in if his skin is sensitive enough to read newspaper print.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Most of Kirkman's points are valid comics are marketing to a diminishing fan base and too scared/too dependent on them to risk alienating them and there is an entrenched buddy-buddy club. Monty Python levels absurd gore aren't the industry's panacea and neither is replicating his one in a million indie comic Cinderella story.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Much like all the other numbering gimmicks Marvel does, this isn't confusing at all. Thanks.

It's only confusing because of all the other confusing numbering that happens. Your brain balks at the very idea that a comic company isn't doing some dumb rear end numbering scheme where you have three number 25's released three months apart.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Wouldn't Canonball survive a nuke because he's an Eternal?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Given how many writers have displayed what I'll politely call an "overt fondness" for Kitty, I'm a bit surprised she's never gotten an ongoing.

But then after the abysmal numbers the series produced they wouldn't be able to delude themselves as giving the fans what they want when they write kitty Pryde as the bestest thing ever.

Seriously writers nobody cares about Kitty Pryde, Jubilee was the current generation's X-Men Wolverine is my dad self-insert wank bait.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Nick Fury has the Infinity Formula, which is an anti-aging serum. It's been implied that Dum Dum Dugan either was exposed to it himself, or alternately is subject to the same sliding time scale that affects characters like Tony Stark, depending on who's writing him. Black Widow was enhanced by a Russian super-soldier program that accounts for her greatly slowed aging.

Nick had to be dosed every year with the Formula, or he would rapidly reach his real age. But the last samples were recently destroyed, and there was handwaving about there being "enough serum left in his system" for him to age normally from now on. Which doesn't make a lot of sense on the barest reflection, but Bendis, so.

I thought the most recent explanation for Dum Dum is that's he'd gotten so many cybernetic replacement parts over the years that he's basically a brain in a LMD body.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

Maybe he just really likes writing comics.

Really who get's into writing comics now a days to get rich? Almost everybody who gets into it are fans that love the medium (or think that it's easier to get a movie/series picked up by a studio with a comic).

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Just once I want someone to be like "Batman didn't teach me everything HE knew, and Wildcat didn't teach me everything he knew EITHER, but Ted DID teach me something Bruce DOESN'T know!" *squirts bottle of siracha in his face*

A little long for a one liner, try a quippy "You weren't my only teacher." *pokes Batman in the eye with a violin bow*

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check out ComicBookDB. I'm sort of surprised that with the breadth of BSS, there's no thread about the collecting/grading side of the hobby. Maybe it's due to the age range of BSSers? Not as much interest in the silver age and older books that are somewhat more expensive to collect?

Grading leads to speculation, speculation leads to foil covers, foil covers leads to suffering.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Mephisto doesn't know because officially MJ outsmarted him and undid a deal with the devil in a deal with the devil, so there is no longer a deal with the devil anymore but everything happened like there was a deal with the devil.

Don't worry if you are bleeding a little from your nose it's just your brain trying to figure that out.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Bruce Banner hasn't been legally considered a person in years. AS far as the government is concerned Banner died in the accident and the monster created by the same accident occasionally decides to look like Banner.

Banner is legally dead and has been basically since his identity got outed.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Archyduke posted:

Is this actually stated in a comic somewhere or just kind of a popular fan-theory or something? Because isn't Bruce Banner a member of SHIELD and the Avengers? The former, at least, you'd think would necessitate some kind of citizenship.

It's come up when they want to do some evil government backed villain holding Banner without trail shctick, though I think last time that happened they went with the war on terror enemy combatant label instead.

The part about Banner being dead and the Hulk just choosing to look like Banner is actually something Ross threw at Betty once.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Wili posted:

Has any comic in 616 so far acknowledged the events in Ultimate Cataclysm? Is anyone aware that they are missing a Galactus? Did Valerie tell his dad about the visit of his parallel younger scarred evil self?

Galactus disappears all the time so that'd basically never come up but nobody has or likely will mention anything about it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Sturm posted:

When the Phoenix Force leaves Rachel Grey at the end of X-Men Kingbreaker, where does it go to?

Same place it always goes when she gets rid of it, straight back into her in time for her next appearance.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

zoux posted:

I guess these are them then?

I mean, I can understand what they are going for but you really can't conflate your fictional hate speech with literally the most hate filled word in the English language.

The darling of a generation of writers ladies and gents.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

WickedHate posted:

I've heard it said Superman is the only superhero Ennis really respects.

He respects him so much in fact that he shows Supes being placated by a bit of verbal nob slobbery and gently caress right off just in time for Tommy to plug a guy.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

So if Wolverine's skeleton is metal how does he get red blood cells then, hmm?

Porous metal, duh.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Really the old laced with metal procedure was a lot more, well metal. They routed channel in every bone on four sides and shoved a strip of adamantium in there then bolted them together through the bone.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

He lost the use of his bedside manner in the car accident, also.

Nope. It's still better then "Whelp your check cleared and that's good. You are going to die."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

HitTheTargets posted:

I don't think I've ever heard that from the horse's mouth, though. Is it just a highly plausible theory?

Not even close to plausible. The entire motivation of death and return of superman was the collectors market cashcow and the books sold gangbusters so there was no "Oh, what's that, none of them are as good as the original Superman and you don't want any of them to take over? You want the real Superman back?" pay off because it wasn't being sold to fans.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Uthor posted:

I started working my way up to Infinity Gauntlet again and was thinking about different Death is in the Marvel U compared to Death in DC. Then, of course, I thought about the similarities between Thanos and Darkseid. So I was wondering: has Darkseid ever met Death?

The Black Racer is death for the new gods, Darksied was unimpressed when they met, after all what kind of embodiment of death lets life exist?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It also has been used to mean when someone supports fascism but doesn't realize they support fascism in the standard "_____ are bad guys I'm not a bad guy so my ideology can't be ______ " delusion.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

prefect posted:

I have complained about it before (:spergin:), but I remember one of the Wolverine books back in the '80s having a scene where a big, strong guy tried to pull Wolverine's arms off. He failed because of adamantium bones. Unless there are also adamantium chain links holding the bones together, you should be able to pull them apart. Similarly, his vertebrae might have some adamantium, but they're not interlocking, are they?

Just assume there are some kind of adamantium chain links then.

Lurdiak posted:

Man after he regenerated from a skeleton a couple of times, all bets were off.

Those always had bullshit caveats though like he was suped up by magic or mgh, still dumb though. Especially when one of the X-23 series had him bleeding to death because she shoved dirt in the wounds.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 22, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

If I recall, when Daniel Way had a nuke land on him, he wasn't souped up in any way. He just survived a nuke by regenerating from a skeleton.

That falls under the bullshit caveat that he was being written by Daniel Way.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Madkal posted:

We are talking about a man who regenerated himself from a single drop of blood.

Injustice Superman already went over that with Lobo when you hit the sun there's no blood.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

zoux posted:

So the leaked trailer made me wonder: has Hulkbuster armor ever worked?

It's worked about as well as everything else that goes up against the Hulk.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

That is way too detailed for what the show is probably going to shorten into "loved character A, died saving city, has fire powers".

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Aaron's Marvel stuff has been very hit or miss considering how insanely dope his Ghost Rider run was.

His stuff is either awesomely stupid or just plain stupid depending on the phase of the moon he gets the idea during.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Somebody post the linework just to emphasize how bad the colorist screwed it up.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

HitTheTargets posted:

Hey, do we know Lady Thor's origin yet?

Not yet. If it sticks to new character formula, which is has so far, we'll finish the first arc before we find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's one of those holdovers of when you could keep a lid on twists, really all serial media needs to get over that and just solider on when a twist gets spoiled.

Rhyno posted:

Truth. But originally it was supposed to be some Ranma 1/2 poo poo going on.

Less actual sex swap and more that at Hulk levels of muscle mass you can pretty much kiss secondary female sex characteristics bye bye.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 25, 2014