Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Unless you really really love Psylocke and all of Claremont's other pet characters, stay as far away from his Exiles stuff as possible. Oh and there's lots and lots of mind control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

When exactly did SHIELD go from being a behind-the-scenes spy agency to public knowledge? Have people in the Marvel universe always been at least slightly aware that SHIELD existed even if they had no idea what they actually did?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Question based off this post:

Cangelosi posted:

Jack Kirby's pen seems to add at least five inches of width to a character, from what I can tell. That can't be healthy.

But as long as we're talking about Kirby, anyone make sense of these guys? They're called the Dingbats of Danger Street and...they were made in 1975...

No idea what's going on. :ohdear:

How many gangs of lovable street punks with awful names did Kirby create? I know there were these guys and the Newsboy Legion. They seem to pop up in his work all the time and they are usually always terrible.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is not talking about his legal knowledge, but being a vigilante will mean he will have broken a lot of the rules for lawyers. Especially considering how much overlap the two tend to have.

Matt Murdock is a terrible, terrible lawyer and really a worse human being.

A huge part of Waid's recent run on Daredevil involves Murdock coming clean on being Daredevil and being disbarred by the State of New York for ethical misconduct (I believe Perjury but I haven't read it since he moved to San Francisco).

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Doesn't sound familiar but there's been at least one Donald Duck story like that. (Well, Duckburg, not Gotham.)

You'd think some enterprising villain would set that up in St. Canard, not in Duckburg.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

If you really really want to go in-depth about it, there's the Ten-Cent Plague. It's a very well written and researched book about the death of horror and crime comics by the Comics Code. Unfortunately I don't really know any quick articles about it.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Season 1 has the faux JSA episode and the one with the Injustice Gang, where Batman wins by seducing Cheetah and bribing the Ultra-Humanite. So you're wrong.

Watching Joker spend the entire episode trying to convince Lex to kill Batman just perfectly captured their relationship. Sure, the pacing of some of the episodes was a tad slow but really Injustice For All really makes up for it. Ultra-Humanite being the one that betrays them for cash was a great twist.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

Marvel Super Heroes?

Nah, Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

kizudarake posted:

I'm pissed that the new runaways book ran 4 issues and ended.

You mean the four issue miniseries that was done for Secret Wars? It wasn't supposed to be an ongoing.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

Ha ha that's crazy so is he dead, dead or is he back, or too soon to tell?

He died in a comic tie-in to a fighting game where the world goes to poo poo because Superman becomes dictator of the world. He's staying dead because it is its own little thing that isn't connected to the general DC Universe.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

Is it a straight Secret Wars 1-10 issues (or however many there are) or are there ties in you'd have to read to get the story to make sense?

There are tie-ins but those are mostly off in their own little parts of Battleworld. Essentially Dr. Doom is ruling over a patchwork world of all sorts of different realities so the tie-in issues all focus on weird little worlds like Cowboy Avengers or Law and Thorder. They aren't "necessary" to the plot, but some of them do require you reading Secret Wars to understand what is going on, from what I've seen.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

I suppose with a huge cast like the X-Men you can't use everyone, but I'm surprised they stopped using Hope, she seemed really important.

Thanks for the link.

Every time a writer gets their hands on X-Men they create new mutants that are very very important to them. These mutants never seem to survive the switch to a new writer because they have their own very special mutants they want to write about.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ralph and Sue would've been cool if they actually followed up on the dead detectives thing after 52.

Didn't they come back in Batman and the Outsiders? Of course this actually requires someone reading and caring about Batman and the Outsiders.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Squizzle posted:

cool newz u can use: Science proves conclusively that Geo-Force is a poo poo character and nobody likes him.

I'm double checking the data, and yep. Geo-Force is a waste of ink. Real solid reporting everybody.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Query:

Is Terra also terrible as she is derivative of Geo-Force?

I can think of one storyline that Terra was interesting in. That's one more than Geo-Force.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

G-Unit was already taken.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah I'd say if you wanna know what a book is like just ask it in here. The groupthink of BSS has never really steered me wrong when it comes to finding good runs. And if you don't really mesh with suggestions, you just know who not to trust. Here's a hint, don't pick up Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I know it's gotten talked about to death because it has got a Bat-Butt in it right now, but I really love the Mobius Chair. Ultimate knowledge paired with ultimate laziness.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

For some reason I always really liked those little discs that Mister Miracle uses to fly.

It is a design that can really only work in comic books without looking too stupid (and don't get me wrong, they can look really goofy) but I like those too. They are probably silent, but I always think that Mister Miracle is making little "woooosh" sounds whenever he flies around with them. The New Gods just have a lot of out there and cool items.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I would probably say more of the female counterpart to superman? If you boil down the characters to just their powers, sure both Superman and Wonder Woman are strong and they fly. But Wonder Woman is so deeply connected to Greek Mythology that her attitude and personality distinguish her as something completely different. Where Superman is the last hope of a doomed world, Wonder Woman is an amazonian diplomat who isn't always afraid to use force. That's a very broad description and I'm sure others could do better but they each have their own unique personality differences.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

It might just be me, but I love seeing villains use their powers for incredibly petty purposes. The idea of Sinister and Apocalypse settling down at the end of the day with a nice brandy and chuckling at how bummed out the heroes must be amuses me to no end.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Gavok posted:

Anything else I'm forgetting? Also, what comic was that Mojo story in? I think Sunspot and Cannonball were in it.

Apparently it is Astonishing Tales Vol 2 1-6 (which I think looking around was a digital comic). The story is called Bobby and Sam in Mojoworld.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

prefect posted:

Amazing Alfred panels.

I know it was last page, but the second Alfred scene is too great not to post.

Gavok posted:

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Five #22

Alfred proves to be the loving man.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Well it's a good thing that Hal has imagination to spare. Baseball bats and jet fighters for everyone!

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Is this the same Ghost that would later shoe up in Thunderbolts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

You might like spider-man and the x-men

Elliot Kalan is very funny, loves Spider-Man, and writes one hell of a comic book. Everyone should read Spider-Man and the X-Men (and listen to the Flop House but that's only if you like ding-dong related podcasts)