Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought three hundred Ultimate Guard comic bags and stuffed all my Marvel comics from the late seventies on to the late nineties in them. Only afterwards did I notice that the "current size" bags aren't actually meant for the older comics (according to their web site). They fit perfectly, however: what gives? Seems to me the "regular size" width of 18.4 would be too wide, and allows the funny paper to slide around inside the bag unnecessarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

The bags are typically sized so that you can stick a board in them, and then the comic will fit against the board without the edges being squeezed too much. The board generally prevents too much movement inside the bag.

But having bought bags & boards from several different companies over the years, I have found a fair amount of variation even considering that. There's just not an industry standard down to the 16th of an inch that everyone adheres to.

Ah OK with a board it would probably be a tighter fit. Or at least it would be a bit difficult to stick the comic books in there without damaging the corners.

xK1 posted:

By "older" comics they probably mean silver/golden age stuff, anything from about 1965 onward counts as current size.

Edit: Wait, Ultimate Guard is a different brand than the ones I'm used to, which only has Golden/Silver/Modern, so no clue what the cut off would be for regular and current...

They have golden age, silver age, regular (a pretty drat stupid name), and current. Since the "regular" comics easily fit in the "current" bags I guess I don't really have a problem :shrug: Early 70s and earlier won't really fit but they were already in suitable bags when I bought them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Here's a question that pooped into my mind today at the flea market when I saw a stack of Youngblood comic books for 4€ (the stack, not per issue): do people who grew up reading that stuff have some kind of attachment to it? Do people wax nostalgic over Rob Liefeld comics?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Madkal posted:

I wax nostalgic on Spawn. Is that the same thing?

Meeeeh maybe? I remember kind of liking Todd McFarlane poo poo back in The Incredible Hulk and The Amazing Spider-Man just because it was so different but... no, wait, he was never nearly as abysmal as Liefeld so I guess it isn't the same thing. (I've never read Spawn so I don't know about the stories though.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Has the Punisher ever been much of a detective? I'm reading The Punisher MAX*, and Frank's getting information is literally just sitting at the crime scene eavesdropping on the police. Not that I expect him to have a Batcave to do forensics in, but that's just lazy.

*I swear, I have a love/hate relationship with the writings of Garth Ennis, but this is really good so far and I love The Punisher

Let's not forget that Shaft found the headquarters of the mafia by running into every Italian bar in the city and shouting "Where the gently caress is the headquarters of the mafia?!?". (In the book, I've never seen the movie.) Not all fictive detectives work solely by using their little grey cells. (And I never understood how you could do any detecting with your balls anyway :shrug:)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

He has met The Black Racer

I refuse to believe Jack Kirby was neither wrong in the head nor doing drugs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inkspot posted:

Is there a Batman arc where some shady businessman establishes 24/7 daylight in Gotham? I think it might have had something to do with crystals.

Doesn't sound familiar but there's been at least one Donald Duck story like that. (Well, Duckburg, not Gotham.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inkspot posted:

Go on, ...

Well that's about it, I can't remember if it used the "Scrooge's scheme ruins everything and he gets his comeuppance and takes it out on Donald/Gyro/whoever gave him the idea" or the "Scrooge's scheme ruins everything but then he redeems himself (monetarily) by implementing it in Foreigncountrystan" template. It's an Italian story and I just put all of the 200 or so books in storage so I don't think I'll be digging it up, sorry.

Dr. Hurt posted:

You'd think some enterprising villain would set that up in St. Canard, not in Duckburg.

When you think about it Scrooge is a villain.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

White Events are also in Hickman's Avengers, but that's a direct reference.

What, like Frasier fan conventions?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WickedHate posted:

It was Tomar Re, the orange dude with the beak.

He probably thought "Eh, I'll do it tomarre *squawk*"

:downsrim:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

http://www.metla.fi/silvafennica/full/sf44/sf444681.pdf

It's not easy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Darkseid isn't a cryptofacist. He's the ur-facist. He is facism given form.

Yeah he rules with his face.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

redbackground posted:

Wait, who's calling Superman's dog a Nazi?!

Have you ever seen a police cat? :smuggo:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unmature posted:

Just read all of Planet Hulk and World War Hulk. What happens to the Hulk after that? Wikipedia jumps right from the end of WWH to him doing things with Skaar. How does he get out of that tank thing? All the Red Hulk business started after that right?

Also tell me some of your favorite Hulk stories. I've always been interested in the character, but have never read too much of his comics. I remember Banner being good, does that hold up?

The inter-dimensional crossroads stories by Mantlo.

e: For single-issue story: the one with Mogol.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

But I'm told that's how all the pros do it!

That's literally what Wally Wood would have done if he could have.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

She would have gotten Mephisto-magicked out of existence along with the marriage, presumably?

I haven't read the Tex Willer - Marvel crossover.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

And Aunt May was completely unaffected by her years spent in European prison? That sounds slightly worse for her heart condition than the shock of learning that Peter is Spider-Man.

Since I don't know what "European" means here I'm just going to guess her heart condition would be better off after years of prison in Europe than it would be after years of no prison in the US :smugmrgw:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ecavalli posted:

Oh, gently caress off.

Those scare quotes are entirely your own. She was literally in a prison in Europe.

They're not scare quotes you loving idiot; I don't know where in Europe she was in prison.

EDIT:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So, yeah. As monstrous a fuckup as "oh, May's just been in a Turkish prison or whatever" was, that's one of the few problems that can't be laid at the feet of the folks responsible for the Clone Saga.

Make that "didn't know". (Sorry about the scary quotes again.)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 20, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ecavalli posted:

I can't stop you from responding with Internet-typical outrage at someone insulting you

Hmm yes I totally remember the bit where I was outraged.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe it's because I originally read the Claremont X-men in Finnish, objectively a better and more succinct language altogether, but Claremont never struck me as wordy. (Then again I started with Lee and Thomas so :shrug:)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Now Alan Moore's later stuff is another matter entirely. He really likes the sound of his own droning senile Tolkien syndrome-addled voice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cyphoderus posted:

Oh, man. Promethea is a tough challenge to get through.

But it's in his early stuff too, though not all of it. One day I binge-read a bunch of his Swamp Thing issues, ended up burning out on the entire English language for two or three days afterward.

Speaking of Swamp Thing, here's an actual question: is any of the later Swamp Thing worth reading? I'm mostly concerned about not needing to know a lot about thingsanything that happened in other titles since I've never read that much DC stuff than quality.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

prefect posted:

I don't know how "later" you mean, but the New 52 Swamp Thing was pretty darned good. (I stopped reading it after a few years, but I've been doing a general reduction in all my reading.)

Later than Moore.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Does the art in Manhattan Projects ever get beyond mind-warpingly lovely? Because I kind of want to see where the story goes but it literally makes me queazy to read it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like the story I've heard about one of Kirby's Fourth World ideas he never got to use, namely that Superman would eventually fight Darkseid and it would turn out that Darkseid is actually weak; he's all smoke and mirrors.

That doesn't sound far-fetched and would explain a few odd scenes. Not that there are non-odd Fourth World scenes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

10 Beers posted:

Thanos is just an 80's kid at heart. We all wanted to be MJ.

Mary Jane?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

10 Beers posted:

Thanos is just an 80's kid at heart. We all wanted to be MJ.

I wanted to be Max Headroom.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The best part of this story is that the reason they were fighting is Johnny just decided "hmm I'll go be a dick to Namor and fight him that'll show everyone I'm cool!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rob Liefeld was the main reason why a lot of people simply stopped reading/buying American costumed hero funny papers in the nineties.

e: His (and, more importantly, his copy-cats') utter lack of skill probably ties with the fact you couldn't even read your shittily-drawn fantasy stories without buying at least five titles per month. (Not necessarily the same titles every month.) But the rear end art was still a major reason.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 12, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Besides Byrne (as Cogburn), did Jack Kirby draw any other comics industry giant as a comic book supervillain? (Cameos and one-offs not included.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Senior Woodchuck posted:

There was Stan Lee as Funky Flashman and Roy Thomas as his lackey HouseRoy. (I actually think HouseRoy was the nastier portrayal of the two.)

I've read that and I never made the connection :wth:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Has Grant Morrison ever written anything where he isn't a character?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uthor posted:

How was The Mighty Thor 382 the 300th issue of Thor?

Because they continued the numbering from Journey into Mystery. Thor was introduced in #83 so they're counting from that (even though the name of the paper wasn't changed until later).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Not to my knowledge. Really it was just Animal Man and (kinda) Seven Soldiers, as far as I know.

Flex Mentallo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Does Grant Morrison even... exist?!?!?!?!?!?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

It is, except the signs are French.

In Quebec, milk comes in le bags.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skwirl posted:

"Felt red to me!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Of course, if you go by costume design, you'd think the OG Daredevil was the blindest.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Why is Captain SS fighting Hitler?

You can see the same question on Hitler's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WickedHate posted:

:sigh:

It actually makes me really sad every time I see Japanese people from old comic books. So depressing.

I thought The Claw was Chinese but maybe not :shrug:

e: I guess all Asians look the same to you, huh?