Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He lead a secret black ops mission against direct orders from the president into Latveria, which ended up blowing up in his face when an army of Latverian robots showed up in New York. Also he mind wiped the heroes who went with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah last I checked Quake was Director and Maria Hill was back to Deputy Director, unless something happened in Secret Avengers to change it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Tommy Lee Jones Osborn was a thing around Dark Reign, yeah.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Vulcan's there on the chart too.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nope, apparently Katherine Summers was like two months pregnant or something when they went on that fateful trip.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

How thrilling. It's like the narrative version of kids on the playground who keep changing the rules so they don't lose.

Unlike before, where....oh.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Schneider Heim posted:

What did Kirkman do? I read the first issue of Invincible and I thought it was pretty good? (art's so-so, though)

If a recent issue of Invincible and a recent issue of USM touch, they dissipate into a puff of photons.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wasn't it Benito Cereno who said that a good mark was when Jack Kirby took over Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, if there's one guy who's allowed to shrug off being on the dead list it's Errol Flynn In Space.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't there someone else who had adamantium reinforcements too?

Cyber, the 90sest dude to ever also have Adamantium claws. Genesis killed him by attacking him with flesh eating beetles to get his skin (full of adamantium) to give Wolverine a new Adamantium skeleton so he could be Death.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Apparently the coating is porous, but how that loving works is :comics:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Without Onslaught there would be no Thunderbolts. Immediately better than Doomsday :colbert:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's interesting, but more for the ideas than the story, which is muddled as other people have mentioned. It's certainly one of the better line-wide crossovers DC has had since...

... uh...

... wow. A long time. Certainly the one most worth reading of the 2000-Present era, at least.

52, though.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Soonmot posted:

But at one point it was explained that because he is a tree his vocal cords are only able to produce those sounds. I think it was an issue with the Inhumans.

Yeah, Maximus said that Groot's race gradually lost flexibility in their vocal cords as they aged, but considering that was Maximus who's main character trait is being cuckoo bananas crazy it was probably bullshit.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Mark Millar run is peak Millar and should be avoided at all costs.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Let us not forget that Millar had the ironic punishment of his big beatstick character be turning into a chicken so he could be raped by his Appalachia kinfolk.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

zoux posted:

And then that goes right into the Charles Soule, correct? Which I've also heard is very good.

As much as we would like to pretend, no, Thunderbolts' single bad run was between the two.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Potsticker posted:

Welp. Now I'm confused.

Bendis is no doubt justifiably afraid of a Slott written Miles so he's removing that option from the table.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, it was the Hulk.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, patriotism isn't the best reason to take such a huge risk, but it beats out greed.

Less greed and more ego. Reed Richards, First Man To Put Himself In Space instead of Reed Richards, CEO of Richards Aerospace. Another parallel with Doom, who's accident reinforced his hubris

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Some people think Black Jet is 14 for some reason? I'm getting this fourth-hand from Mark Waid's twitter though.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
She looked like 8~10 when Steve first broke out with the baby in Cap, but a major issue is that asking a comic book artist to draw a child is such a crapshoot she might have been 5 or 15.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
ROM's problem isn't a labyrinthine rights tangle, it's that the two parties who hold the rights aren't willing to pay one or the other for what is honestly a pretty cold property.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That was forums cool guy Melvin The Jerk and it was an entire thread about cool couples and romances in comics.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
As I recall, the Batarang showed up in the first 10~20 issues of Batman ever, and was originally made for him by the guy who taught him how to throw boomerangs.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think Patriot is kind of a 'soft' Can Not Use because it's less effort than sorting through whatever problems exist with the property.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Jack Gladney posted:

There were some He-Man comics with Superman that I imagine can't be mentioned these days, though DC has more out with messed-up history like that than Marvel does.

It's not even been a year, has it?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Don't be sorry, it wouldn't take much to convince me DC hosed up licensing that fast.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Rhyno posted:

I have to disagree, the Orko reveal was terrible. I really hate everything about the He-Man comics DC has released.

It's great because it's terrible. It's the 90'sest thing from a company who's new modus is to revive the worst of the decade.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Apparently this process only works with mutants because *handwave* *farting sound*

(Yes, this contradicts characters like Bullseye or Cyber who are human but adamantium-enhanced.))

Pretty sure Bullseye and other non-Wolverine adamantium jobs have much lower adamantium to bone ratio and just use plain old indestructimetal. Wolverine has the whole skeleton made of metal thing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If memory serves, the justification was that Magneto had essentially lost his mind on account of his powers overwhelming his sanity. This was the same crossover where he tore out Cable's cybernetics and did a worldwide EMP, after all, so he'd firmly off the deep end at that point. If Colossus hadn't been a member of the the Acolytes at the time (thanks to a head injury - no, really), I'm sure Magneto would have torn his skin off while he was at it.

It's weird to realize that Wolverine would continue to be without his adamantium for another seven years, so it wasn't just a temporary switcheroo - it had a big impact on the character for a long time.

God, was it really that long? I would have guessed 5, tops.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Strange being a neurosurgeon in specific was actually a major plot detail in Defenders during it's best run.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Tomar Re arrived to save Krypton, but he showed up on the wrong side of the sun or something and was rendered unable to help when Rao exploded.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also in Thunderbolts, a character showed up that was originally made in a 70's Make a Character Contest that never actually got used until then.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A buddy who is new to comics asked me about good/landmark LGBT focused or friendly books. That's a bit out of my knowledge base, so what should I recommend?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Skwirl posted:

Something just occurred to me, aside from Strange, is there any evidence that any of the other Marvel "Doctors" (Reed, Stark, Doom, McCoy, Pym, Banner, probably another half dozen I'm forgetting) have MDs? or are they all PHDs? Because if not, they all be fronting to a certain degree.

In Steve Gerber's Defenders (Which everyone should read because it may be some of the best comics ever) the Red Guardian was also a neurosurgeon. She was so good Strange called her in from the USSR to perform an operation.

Just. Just don't read anything involving her after Gerber's Defenders.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 29, 2015

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Y'know, I would think you'd include some of Truth if you were doing The Definitive Cap Origins, but I'm probably expecting too much.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gavok posted:

Hell no. Charlie Nash is a Barry Allen/Bucky Barnes hybrid of a character who looks like cartoon Egon, does one-handed Sonic Booms and will not loving die no matter how many times M. Bison tries to wipe him out. Plus he's the only entertaining part of the terrible Chun-Li movie, even if it's because Chris Klein is so terrible that it loops around into him being amazing.

Nah, Charlie's in the top ten.

You're goddamn right! Although I will go to bat for Michael Clark Duncan as another entertaining part of The Legend Of Chun-Li, because Michael Clark Duncan popping out of a limo to shoot off rockets while laughing his rear end off is cinema gold.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Since this conversation came up, I off-hand mentioned Gavok's History of Street Fighter Comics article to my dad, mostly to joke about how bad the Malibu Comics run was. This lead to my dad spending half an hour talking about how he used to borrow Len Strazewski's Tomb of Dracula books in college and he should totally email him sometime. Gavok, good at video game articles and bringing families closer together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gavok posted:

That's exactly what was going through my head when making that description. That and Castlevania and Bubsy.

At least Sonic had the Dreamcast games.

Two of the three 3d Castlevania games were actually good, just not great. Two of Four if you count the n64 games as two different ones instead of one and an expansion pack.