Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

HitTheTargets posted:

If Civil War taught me anything, Tony Stark is the Hitler of the Avengers.

Also, having formerly associated with Stark but then switching sides to join (Captain) America, Spider-Man is Stalin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Am I weird in that bad art in comics doesn't bother me or stop me from enjoying comics for the most part?

I mean there's an old early 2000's All CGI Batman comic that my eyes slide right off of, and some of the Injustice Year One stuff was posted here under the funny panels. But beyond that, as long as I can recognize the characters and distinguish them from one another, I don't mind. I have seen the examples from Greg land, where if you were to line up his female characters faces side by side, I couldn't tell them apart, but I consider that an oddity rather than the rule.

The only time I can recall being driven off of a book due to the art was Steven T. Seagle's Alpha Flight, with art by (IIRC) Duncan Rouleau. Rouleau's work has become something I enjoy in the right context, over time, but on that particular series, his storytelling skills were terrible; even in the panels I thought looked good, I still couldn't figure out what in the blue hell was going on.

I can handle very stylized art. I can even handle bad art. But incomprehensible art defeats the entire loving purpose of being a comic book. Liefeld's art is awful, but at least you can usually figure out what's going on (admittedly, "what's going on" in a Liefeld book usually means "Abominations and mutants stand around in pin-up poses while being surrounded by words, and then later something explodes").

This is the same problem I'm running into with the current Winter Soldier book, which I actually find amazing to look at... and nigh-impossible to read. Great art, lovely storytelling.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

Didn't Ron Zimmerman do Ultimate Adventures?

Yes he did. Also it was better than it had any right to be.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gavok posted:

It was really bad

Dude, you already said it was written by Frank Tieri, no need to repeat yourself.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

HondaCivet posted:

Hi. I am pretty new to comics so forgive me if this is a weird question. I was pretty excited for Squirrel Girl #2 to come out today, but when I talked to my local comic book shop they said that they just . . . didn't get their shipment/order. And that it'd be a week or two before the replacement order would show up. Again, I'm new to comics . . . Is that normal? For orders to just not show up? Or is this shop run by idiots or something?

There's only one company running (most) comics distribution, Diamond, and they're pretty much a monopoly. So when they gently caress up no one can really make them knock it off. Which means it's entirely possible that Diamond hosed up your shop's order... or it's possible that your shop is run by imbeciles. Honestly, it's plausible either way.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

But mostly plausible the Diamond hosed up way.

Granted, but I've known enough really lovely shop owners not to count that idea out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Kate, Loki, No-Varr.

Noh-varr is bi and Loki's sexual history is both complicated and available in all the best mythology books.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, the whole "are Asgardians Gods?" question is one that Marvel has singularly failed to give a definitive answer to; there are stories that unequivocally say "they're Gods," there are others that clearly say "no, they're aliens," and there's no real need for Marvel to put their foot down one way or the other.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Seriously? It's not that weird.

It's an idea that would probably fly fine now; some folks would be weirded out but it'd be no big deal. In 1981, when Claremont dropped the first hint in that direction in Days of Future Past? It would have been much, much more transgressive.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That being said, I'd treat mythology as anecdotal unless referenced in a comic book. If you think comic continuity is bad, mythology is quite the kettle of eggs.

See, I'd agree with you if Marvel themselves didn't keep referencing said mythology.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Precambrian posted:

I think the more likely option is they want a fairly uniform aesthetic across their properties. You've got a guy in a robot suit, two guys who were "scienced" into powers, two secret agents, their flying sci-fi doom fortress, and then the Norse God of Thunder. He fits better as super advanced technology, so they gave him a quantum physicist for his girlfriend, easing him away from theology and into science fiction in time for the crossover.

Avengers has Captain America proclaiming Jesus as the One True God, so maybe there was some consideration for your thinking, but I'd bet it was more for the film's look.

I think also the choice to go with a very, very Kirby-esque aesthetic for Thor lent itself to the choice of using Kirby's preferred Ancient Aliens mythology; the Thor films owe quite a lot to Kirby, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was a factor in the decision as well.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

eye lasers and dicks aren't the same thing.

E: said his tombstone

I love that we live in a world where people think Mystique doing this is fine but fathering a child is too bizarre:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

RandallODim posted:

Where is that from because okay with it or not, I'm intrigued by that.

Mystique had a solo series briefly; it's from that. Sean McKeever, I believe, wrote it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mystique can look at a dude and then shift her shape to look like him, talk like him, walk like him. She can defeat fingerprint scans, facial recognition, retinal scans. She doesn't have to sample the guy's DNA or anything, she just goes 'you know what, I want to be that guy now' and she is. And people are really getting hung up on the notion that some of that biology might be, y'know, functional?

Seriously?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

That's Rhyno's job. Or Lurdiak, depending on the day.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Oh man Grendel.

There is definitely some wish-fulfillment self-insertion going on in early Grendel stories with Hunter Rose, but as time goes on (e: and the series moves to Dark Horse) the story becomes more and more about the Grendel identity as a sort of totemic archetype and bounces from genre to genre with surprising ease; it was one of the first things I read that felt really "meta" even before I'd encountered that term. Good poo poo. Gorgeous, too.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 20, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

qntm posted:

But seriously, why can't they pin all these cities firmly to a state? It's not like the ambiguity is a running gag like in The Simpsons.

Because, from the point of view of the people writing the stories, what does firmly establishing the city's location get them? How does that let them tell better stories than the ambiguity does? When it's not pinned down, when Metropolis (for instance) can be (almost) anywhere, then they don't have to give a poo poo about local geography or demographics or local government. They can write a story about the Metropolis Town Council without anyone writing letters about how Town Councils don't exist in this state; they can have Braniac technology turn half the city super high-tech without anyone bitching about how it turns out they only up-teched neighborhoods that are majority white; they can have a giant earthquake that swallows half the city and turns it into Escape From New York without having to give a poo poo about whether that makes any actual, you know, sense.

In essence, the ambiguity of location gives the creators more leeway at the expense of a certain degree of 'plausibility;' while Marvel's always gone the slightly-more-plausible route but then had to pay attention to real-world geography and architecture, with occasionally unfortunate results (see: 'which bridge did Gwen Stacy fall from, again...?'). People who care enough to go looking will find out that Gotham is in New Jersey, but setting that in stone in present continuity doesn't really get them anything worth having.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

zoux posted:

I really liked the Dark Avengers idea when I read it, what was the contemporary fan response? I thought all of Dark Reign was cool actually.

Dark Reign was fuckin' awesome all around, I thought - though the relative disappointment of Siege does take a bit of the blush off the rose.

Honestly, that's the biggest reason I'm not horribly down on Event Comics - even the ones that are terrible (see: Civil War) have tended, over the past few years, to give us some time with an interesting status quo that the writers can play with. The events themselves might be poo poo, but the past few lovely events have made excellent fertilizer.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Deadpool posted:

I understand, those are the spoilers I was referring to. I was wondering what led to it. Because that seems like something that would be extremely out of character. Or at least the version of the character I'm familiar with.

When Lois was temporarily psychic because of Braniac or whatever the gently caress was going on with that story, she discovered Superman's secret identity and basically told him straight out, "Oh, as soon as I'm able to I'm telling everyone. That's news, pal." She then got attacked by the Parasite and lost her psychicness and also some of the memories that went along with it, but a willingness to share that particular secret with the world is already established in nu52 Lois.

I don't particularly care for nu52 Lois.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

It should be pointed out that a lot of the blame for the problems of the Clone Saga was that marketing was making writing and editorial decisions at the time. The individual writers didn't have much control over some of it, especially how goddamn long it went on.

As should be usual for any discussion of the Clone Saga and what made it so awful, here is a link to the Life of Reilly.

It is the story of why the Clone Saga went to poo poo. It is a much better story than the Clone Saga itself.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

I know the Clone Saga was long, but I didn't think it was 12 tpbs long. I guess 4 books a month for several years all ads up.

Also I love how everyone forgets the single most stupid thing about the whole story. Norman Osborn kidnapped Aunt May and hired an actress to pretend to be her for an unspecified length of time. The actress was so into her role that even when she was on her loving deathbed she didn't break character. Osborn had literally no reason to do this considering he kept Aunt May alive the entire time.

That actually wasn't ever really a part of the Clone Saga, at least while the Clone Saga was being written.

Alison Mongrain stole Peter and MJ's baby and took it to her boss, who told her to make sure it was never seen again and that she should enjoy Europe. Said boss turns out to be Norman. We never actually see the baby on-panel, but at the time it was always intended that this was the final fate of the baby. From Life of Reilly:

quote:

I vividly remember all the little bits and story elements that Bob Harras absolutely insisted had to be in the "Revelations" story line. Among them was the sequence where the Parker baby is apparently delivered to Alison Mongrain, and Norman Osborn tells her to make sure it's never seen again.

Some of us on the editorial staff (myself included) absolutely disagreed with this sequence being included, because it raised a question that shouldn't have been raised. We strongly felt that the baby story line should have a clean, clear, definitive ending, and that there should be no lingering doubts or mysteries about the baby's status. If the baby's dead, then let's say the baby's dead and move on. I remember discussing this matter with Harras, and his response was that his way of ending the baby story line "gives hope to the readers who have been waiting for the birth of the baby, it lets them believe that the baby is still out there somewhere, alive, and maybe Peter will find her someday. It'll keep them coming back."

The problem with that was that there was NEVER going to be a resolution. In fact, Harras said that he didn't want the baby referred to again once the Clone Saga was over. He even wanted it established in the first post-Clone Saga issue, SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #241, that six months had elapsed since the end of "Revelations, " so we could just skip over Peter and Mary Jane's mourning period and show that they were pretty much back to normal and Spider-Man was his old, wisecracking self again. Harras wanted the Spider-Man books to move on and away from the Clone Saga as quickly as possible… but he also wanted to play with readers' expectations.

When some of us editorial staffers privately discussed the situation, we agreed that Harras's approach was very unfair to the readers. Deliberately dangling a plot thread in front of the readers and then just as deliberately abandoning it, with absolutely no intentions to ever resolve it, just didn't seem like the right thing to do, but at that point, we knew better than to even try to talk our editor in chief out of something he obviously felt so strongly about.

Emphasis mine. The decision to undo Aunt May's death came later (apparently also at the edict of Bob Harras...), and it sort of directly contradicted some of the other things that had been published in the meantime.

quote:

I totally agreed with that edict. I didn't think Norman should be some god-like figure who controlled every facet of Peter's life from afar. I felt there were certain things he did control, and other things he did not. At times, fate would intervene and end up working in his favor, or fate would work against him and he would have to adapt. That's how I approached THE OSBORN JOURNAL when I began putting it together.

As a result, I established that Norman played no role in the death of Aunt May, but he benefited greatly from its occurrence.

Later on, when Bob Harras decided that Aunt May's death had to be undone, he wanted it established that Norman had faked her death and was keeping her hidden the whole time. Ralph and I pointed out to Harras that THE OSBORN JOURNAL had clearly established that Norman had no role in the Aunt May situation, and that the main reason I established that in the first place was to follow Harras's own edict that Norman should not be responsible for everything in Peter Parker's life. Violating that bit of continuity would also raise the question: WHY WOULD NORMAN LIE IN HIS OWN JOURNAL?!?!

And it would raise another question as well: If he lied about that, what ELSE in the journal did he lie about? Can the journal as a whole even be believed anymore? What had once been enthusiastically accepted by Ralph as totally canonical was now about to have its entire credibility called into question.

Harras's response was that we couldn't be hampered by one line of dialogue that didn't even appear in one of the core books. He also argued, "Norman didn't lie in his journal. He said he wasn't responsible for Aunt May's death, and he wasn't, because she never really died." I felt that was just a fast rationalization that didn't even begin to take into account what I actually wrote and the context in which it was written. I even offered an alternative solution on how to bring back Aunt May while preserving the integrity of THE OSBORN JOURNAL, but it was dismissed. As far as Harras was concerned, the matter was closed.

So, yeah. As monstrous a fuckup as "oh, May's just been in a Turkish prison or whatever" was, that's one of the few problems that can't be laid at the feet of the folks responsible for the Clone Saga.

As for the parcel that everyone thought was the baby? Later it turned out to be some kind of magic thingie that was used in the storyline that gave rise to the Mattie Franklin Spider-Girl. Baby? What baby?

:negative:

Anyways, calling the Clone Saga a 'disaster' is really only viable in hindsight. At the time it sold like hotcakes. When Marvel broke up its publishing into five separate 'groups,' each with their own EiC, the only group hitting its sales goals was the Spider-Man group (admittedly, I suspect the X-books were given artificially inflated sales goals to try and reach...). Sales on the Spider-Man books were strong - and rising - throughout the entire first half of what became the Clone Saga, at a time when sales on every other book, even ones with an X or a Bat or an S-shield on them, were falling.

That trend reversed and Spider-Man sales fell into line with the rest of the industry as the story rolled on, because it got dragged out and dragged out and the end goals kept changing and three different editors were in charge of it at various points and it was essentially a prime example of 'how to gently caress up while making comics,' and then marketing guys and Bob Harras came in and said 'stretch it out another six months, we don't want the end to this story to have to compete with Onslaught.'

Essentially, given the mountains of poo poo that fell upon that story from on high, I think it's a damned miracle that it was as good as it was (and a lot of it was better than people think).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's surprising (that Harras wanted it ignored) because more than one person who worked at Marvel in the 1990s (e.g. Mark Waid) have said that his entire approach to plotting was, "Make everything as byzantine and needlessly complex as possible."

He might have been less inclined to sweep the whole drat thing under the rug like that had any of the actual Clone Saga planning been his doing, but he was the third of the three EiCs who had a hand in the story; the Clone Saga was originally conceived at a time when Tom DeFalco was EiC and Danny Fingeroth was the Spider-Man editor. Not long afterwards, though, "Marvelution" happened.

"Marvelution," for those not in the know, was a genius plan by someone or other to split the EiC duties among five 'group Editors-in-Chief;' Harras was the X-group EiC, for instance. The Spider-Man Group EiC was Bob Budiansky, who hadn't really been involved in the planning - and might have said no if he had been, because he never seemed really sold on the whole Clone Saga to begin with. As the story went on, he developed a habit of vacillating back and forth on what he thought the major story beats should be, and it was a shitshow. Mary Jane's pregnancy, for example, had been Tom DeFalco's idea, and everyone could go ahead and start working it into their books because it's not like anyone would overrule DeFalco, he was the Editor-in-Chief. Only then he wasn't, and I get the impression that had Budiansky been in charge he would have said 'gently caress you no, Spider-Man is not gonna be a dad,' but since he inherited the books at a time when that story had already been introduced, he was left in charge of a story he wasn't all the in favor of in the first place, with predictably erratic results.

Still, he got the books out the door and they were meeting their sales targets, so when he got laid off not long after Harras became EiC and suddenly Harras was the one giving the yea or nay, the Clone Saga had already gone several months past its originally-planned expiration date and it was just getting worse.

Had Harras been in charge from day one there probably would have been seventeen more Parker clones all masquerading as each other, I grant you, but by the time he took over a lot of the Byzantine plotting had already happened, and it wasn't Byzantine in the way he would have done it - so it all sucked and should just get swept under the rug ASAP.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Was Taters posted:

It'd just be this thread, in print.

Dibs on being Ted Knight.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Namor being a mutant because he has little wings on his feet that let him fly was actually kind of clever, I thought; it's not something he gets from either his human or his Atlantean ancestry, it just sorta happened.

Mind you, I also recall arguments in letters pages about whether Siryn was a mutant because she inherited the same sonic powers as her father, Banshee, and so how is she a mutant if she can do the same things one of her parents can do? This was settled by pointing out that Siryn can talk at the same time she's using her sonic powers to fly while it had been established that Banshee can't do that, so that was her mutation. Which makes perfect sense while also being incredibly dumb.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Did anyone do anything involving Johnny Storm's Native American college roommate from the Lee/Kirby run in F4 after their run ended? He was kinda an important part of the team for a hot minute there (helped defeat Black Panther in BP's first appearance, had a multi-issue adventure with Johnnie and Lockjaw where Lockjaw kept teleporting them to random locations).

Wyatt Wingfoot? He's been in a bunch of stuff.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

kizudarake posted:

I'm using 'supposed to be' in the sense that 'in a just world, we would have an ongoing Runaways book instead of a 4 issue mini.' Jesus Christ.

So, according to you, then.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

He's not stronger than Spider-Man. I mean, given the elasticity of super strength in comics it's hard to say definitely, but I doubt there's ever been something that shows him being stronger than Spider-Man in a direct comparison.

Bendis did write him as durable well beyond his skin, since he fell off a building during a huge brawl and then just got in an elevator to get back to it.

Some quick Googling tells me that the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol 2 #10 listed Cage's strength as enough to lift/press approx. 25 tons, whereas Spider-Man's upper limit is typically expressed at around 10 tons.

....I should get out more.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

hadji murad posted:

I thought it was around 40 tons according to the old TSR role playing game.

The sad thing is, I can actually check that; both Spider-Man and Power Man (which is what he was going by at the time this game came out) are listed at a Strength of INCREDIBLE (40), which isn't tied to a specific lifting ability but is more of an abstraction. Each does the same amount of damage with a punch, at least.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

"Wally is black" is fine, it's just like the decided "Wally is black" must go hand-in-hand with both making a completely new character and making that character a giant checklist of stereotypes.

"You want to make Wally West black? Okay, that's fine. What gang is he in?" --An editor at DC, probably

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

I've always hated the concept of Wakanda and it poisons Black Panther as a character I can ever be a fan of for me. Because it is a hyper-advanced nation with all sorts of helpful tech that it refuses to share. Its neighbors are starving, or drought-stricken, or sick, or just poor, and Wakanda sits behind its walls going "lol we could fix all of that but gently caress it and gently caress you". That's the sort of bullshit you'd expect out of Latveria or Lexor. They're a super-gated community and it makes them assholes in my eyes.

I don't know, given the history of, y'know, Africa, I'm pretty sure that it's reasonable of Wakanda to say "We could make things better for our entire continent but the moment we do, you know good and well that we're gonna get invaded by white dudes for all eternity, people who won't be satisfied until they've stripped our land of all of its resources and left it a withered husk while demanding that we follow their religions and use their languages and essentially wiping out our cultural identity, and we sort of don't want that to happen so let's see what we can do to make the world a better and safer place more subtly without just handing out Do-It-Yourself-Garden-Of-Eden-Kits."

It's a hyper-advanced nation that only got to reach hyper-advanced status by keeping their heads low, it's sort of hard to hate on them for sticking with that successful strategy IMHO.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ultragonk posted:

I get wanting to put your mark on something but they must have about every type of mutant they could possibly want at the moment. I'd rather see existing mutants have their story expanded.

A writer wants to tell the story that they want to tell - the story that they're enthusiastic about. It turns out that it can be harder to do that when you're dealing with characters that have established histories and personalities and extant plot threads that may not actually line up with that story they're enthusiastic about.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ultragonk posted:

Seems like a strange reason to annul a marriage.

Namor was an X-Man at the time, and the Wakandan people were thus pretty mad at mutants so their King being married to one was not popular.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ultragonk posted:

Pfft, dudes a king.

I admit it makes for no drama but has anyone in Marvel or DC had a successful marriage, there has to have been a few?

I suspect that most of the people who think that having a character be married makes for less drama have never actually been married.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

prefect posted:

I don't actually know the DC histories that well. All I know is that I enjoyed reading those comics. :D

Read Starfire, Terra's appeared in that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I recall an X-Men issue in the Australian era, titled "Men!" It was, among other things, a parody of DC's then-recent Invasion! crossover. Anyways, Logan and Havok are drinking and Havok says he's going to drink Wolverine under the table and Logan explains that thanks to his healing factor, he doesn't "get that drunk." So the implication was that he can get a good buzz on, but he has to work hard at it and it doesn't last very long.

Between then and now Wolverine's healing factor has gone up and down in power level, mind you, so who knows?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Or Byrne.

Or Lobdell.

Was it Lobdell who wrote, what was it, I think the story was titled "Eve of Destruction" with the entirely ersatz X-team going to Genosha? I actually kind of dug that story, even if it was nakedly filler.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Longshot! He started it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, I would not be even a little bit surprised to discover that Leifeld got his ongoings because some dude in a suit said "Hey, I've noticed that when this guy was on a book it sold, like, a bajillion copies, we should get him on board" and no one had the heart or balls to tell him "Yeah, but it's not 1996 anymore."

See also: why M. Night Shamayalan keeps getting huge budgets to work with despite the fact that the vast majority of his movies are not very good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ultragonk posted:

Thanks to all of you. I like the idea of Civil War because it is kind of weird to have these super powered vigilantes running round but hey, that's why it's a comic right? House of M it is next then. I've been quite Marvelcentric what do people like in the way of big DC storylines? There's probably going to be a lot of Batman in there.

It's an older one, but I still have fond memories of the Invasion! crossover.

DC One Million was, as Squizzle is trying to indicate, really great. Don't miss out on the Hitman tie-in issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Anyway, comics are good. What's the best comic?

Giant-Size Man-Thing.