Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

Hey, what could possibly go wrong by giving Marvel flagship books (except X-Men and Spider-Man) to the Image creators for a year?

The Image creators and Jeph Loeb too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What I'm reading at the moment is the Iron Man by David Michelinie, Bob Layton and John Romita, Jr. omnibus; I'm about three-quarters of the way through. It's a bit odd that this is a massively acclaimed run (and I think it deserves the recongition) which introduced a lot of pretty big components of the Iron Man mythos - Rhodey, Hammer, Bethany Cabe, Tony Stark's drinking problem, his rivalry with Dr Doom, even his friendship with Bruce Banner to an extent - and yet the Mandarin hasn't been in it once. As far as I'm aware, he didn't appear in the subsequent Dennis O'Neil run either; Obadiah Stane was the main villain in that one, nor the second Michelinie/Layton run.

Was the character dead during the 1980s? What was his last appearance before 1978, when they started writing the book? When did he come back?

Also (and this is only very loosely related), there's one panel where a girl describes Tony Stark as "cuter than Ed Asner" - was Ed Asner a sex symbol in 1981?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For most of the 1980s and 1990s cosmic Marvel was almost exclusively the purview of Jim Starlin (who'd been at almost since the start of his career).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

The original Guardians (in publishing terms) were created in 1969 (I hadn't realized they were that old), and looked like this:

I like the Valentino Guardians a lot, even if one of their worst (in every sense of the term) enemies was this guy:

Now, in fairness, Valentino's son named the character and he was later renamed "Overkill", but still... Taserface.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And to be entirely unfair, there's Nightcrawler's reaction to finding out he's been dating his sister:

Colossus's reaction seems fairly appropriate, but in succeeding issues his dodgy relationship with Kitty starts to kick off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Obviously though, if you are writing fiction (like for a comic book), this means there are almost definitely space whales on europa, and you can fly there and stand next to a hole and one will come up and visit with you while you breathe the oxygen and have a picnic.

Haha, I remember when I was little I was dead keen on reading about the solar system, and I had one book (The Gobsmacking Galaxy) which humorously postulated what kind of life-forms could evolve on various planets.

My favourites were the Neptunians and the Tritonites: the aliens of Neptune are composed of pure electromagnetic energy, gamma rays and photons because it's too cold for a physical body, and the aliens of Triton are the same, except they all wear anaroks because Triton is even colder than Nepture. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's the Assemblers, who I believe featured in JLA around the same time one of the various Squadron Supremes appeared in Avengers (maybe late 1960s or early 1970s; around the time either Dennis O'Neil or Len Wein was writing the Justice League comic). In the 1990s, there was a quintet of bad guys called the Extremists: Lord Havok (Doom); Dr Diehard (Magneto); Dreamslayer (Dormammu); and two other guys who were based on Sabretooth and Doc Ock. I think they fought one of the decade's less well-regarded Justice League spin-off groups (maybe Justice League Task Force).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Hmmm so how did Jackal know Peter Parker was Spiderman then? Get it together Strange.

Do you mean back in the original Clone Saga? I think Osborn told him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Were the Power Pack a really big deal in the mid-1980s? I've never read their series but they seem to show up in a lot of crossovers, and in some of them they seem like kind of an odd fit - off the top of my head, Katie Power shows up in a Barry Windsor-Smith issue of X-Men where Wolverine spends the entire story getting slaughtered by Lady Deathstrike and the Reavers, they have a "Mutant Massacre" tie-in where they fight Sabretooth, they're in Thor's Secret Wars II tie-in and meet the Beyonder, Katie Power shows up again as an old woman in a distant future visited by the New Mutants (the one where Magma and Sunspot are evil and mutants rule the world); I'm sure there's more on top of that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was the Sinestro Corps War especially divisive? Maybe it wasn't exactly an "event" insofar as it only really happened in the GL and GLC titles, but it often seems to be counted as one. Of course, it ran concurrently with Countdown, which probably makes it look much better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

So the solution is, hire Mark Waid as a consultant right the gently caress now.

I understand they already have a Mark consulting for them...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
After Marvel, DC and Image, what's the next-biggest company, IDW or Dark Horse?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

What the hell is ROM? Aside from Quark's nephew and read only memory?

Rom was Quark's brother. Quark's nephew was Nog. :spergin:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anybody tell me what "bookshelf format" denotes? I've noticed it used to describe the contents of a couple of slightly older TPBs (e.g. the backcover of Excalibur Classic Vol. 2 says that it includes the "Mojo Mayhem bookshelf").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archyduke posted:

He had one gross looking horizontal oblong in his face when he fused with Apocalypse at the end of The Twelve, but out of respect to Alan Davis I'll refrain from posting a picture of that horrible design.

I won't.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Peter David's run is the only classic Hulk you need to read. Don't even touch Byrne's.

What about Roger Stern and Bill Mantlo?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love how the back cover of the omnibus reads "ONE OF THE MOST NOTORIOUS NARRATIVES OF THE NINETIES!" like it's a selling point.

Of course, Marvel's also released X-Force by Rob Liefeld as an omnibus edition, so that may well have been the case.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was a team called the Assemblers as well - they might have been the same characters as the Champions of Angor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The controversial prequel starring Kevin Sorbo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the status of the Dark Horse Star Wars comics vis-a-vis the Marvel/Disney acquisition? Can Marvel reprint those or can they only do the Thomas/Infantino/Simonson/et al stuff they published originally back in the 1970s?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Marvel has announced an Omnibus of their original SW comics, I have no doubt they will be releasing collections of the DH stuff in time for the launch of their own SW line.

I see. I asked becuase a few years back I gave away a lot of my Star Wars trades, and now I've been thinking about checking out some of the little Dark Horse omnibus collections. Thing is, I understand the quality of them isn't great, so I was wondering if Marvel would be able to do anything with the material in the future or not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to have a complete set of the trades they did for Republic, which was my favourite. There were a few issues that were never collected, though, including "The Devaronian Version" and the Infinity Gate arc (a pretty surprising omission, since it was the second outing for the Ostrander/Duursema team that set the course for Star Wars comics for close to a decade).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Why hasn't Marvel figured out a print on demand system for their Essentials line? It's 300 pages of cheap newsprint it shouldn't be hard. The Moon Knight talk made me want to read to original stuff and Essential Moon Knight 1 is out of print.

I believe there's a Moon Knight Epic Collection coming out which compiles a lot of the early stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

So if Nitro takes a bunch of cocaine and blows up, do people in the blast radius get high?

Where's the Nitro vs Snowflame crossover we've all been demanding?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What led Matt Murdock to become a defense attorney? I read The Man Without Fear yesterday and it talks about what drove him to study law -- his old man hitting him and the crisis of faith he had from it. And while I can see a line of thought that says "my old man was wrong and thus the government can be, too, so it's important to have defense attorneys," it seems flimsy compared to his belief that we need laws to protect us being a prosecutor's kind of mindset.

Perhaps one way of looking at it might be to acknowledge that, in most criminal cases, there is a clear imbalance of power between the state and defendant. Many legal scholars believe that the proper role of the defence counsel is to redress said imbalance by giving the less powerful party an expert advocate. I guess that's a sort of vaguely legal realist view of the matter.

quote:

Add to it the split in understanding that leads one to become a defense attorney vs. a superhero. I feel like if you put on a mask and unaccountably beat up bad guys at night, your relationship with the justice system is one that fundamentally has faith in its correctness. If anything your chief complaint might be that it doesn't do enough to get the bad guys. That kind of understanding, to me, is so counter to what motivates a defense attorney. Does anything explore that split sense of purpose?

I think it's kinda sorta teased out a bit in a Spider-Man story by Peter David called "The Death of Jean DeWolff", where Daredevil's commitment to the law is contrasted by Spider-Man's vigilantism.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

He's done literally everything possible in the legal system because bad writers tend to drop them all into one big bucket marked "lawyer". There's rarely consistency even in a run from a single writer, let alone between writers.

They should have him retire from practice and become an academic lawyer who authors treatises discussing the impact of costumed superheroes upon contemporary jurisprudence. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All the Superman replacements from the "Death and Return" era, perhaps? Superboy in particular, at least.

Azrael too, I suppose.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I've heard about that.

Incidentally, I've also heard that Moench and Dixon named Bane and after Bob Kane, but that seems even less likely.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Otherwise I don't know poo poo about him are there any actual really good runs of Doctor Strange other than the Oath and that I think Avengers Annual with him in it and Defenders?

Roger Stern's run from the late 1970s is highly regarded (he also wrote the Triumph and Torment graphic novel) but it's never been collected to the best of my knowledge.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm hoping Strange will be added to the Epic Collection line sooner rather than later.

Or the Roger Stern stuff gets an omnibus. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

Scarlet Witch magicked them into existence, possibly with some assistance from Agatha Harkness. It was in the Vision and the Scarlet Witch mini -- 12 issues long, which they don't do these days, do they?

She made them from Mephisto's soul.

It was all part of Immortus's master plan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I think Shaft was meant even more as a Speedy/Arsenal analogue, right down to the red costume. Liefeld was always a huge Teen Titans fan, right down to naming Deadpool/Wade Wilson after Deathstroke/Slade Wilson.

Wasn't Youngblood originally conceived as a Teen Titans pitch, too?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 27, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Meeeeh maybe? I remember kind of liking Todd McFarlane poo poo back in The Incredible Hulk and The Amazing Spider-Man just because it was so different but... no, wait, he was never nearly as abysmal as Liefeld so I guess it isn't the same thing. (I've never read Spawn so I don't know about the stories though.)

I enjoy that era of the Hulk but I think it's more because of PAD than McFarlane.

As far as the pre-Image output of the original Image guys goes, I really like Valentino's run on GOTG (and it isn't nostalgia or anything, since it started the year before I was born).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What was the Elseworlds (if it even was an Elseworlds; it might have been within a Superman story) where Kal-El becomes Green Lantern of Krypton's sector of space?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He did indeed.

The artist for the last stretch of Claremont's run was future Image co-founder and superstar artist Jim Lee, who decided the best way to resolve his creative differences with Claremont over the direction of the plot was to submit his finished artwork to be scripted at the last possible moment, to prevent Claremont from having it changed to match his own intentions more closely.

Eventually, Claremont went to Bob Harras (the group editor on the X-Men titles) and told him to have words with Lee or he'd leave. Harras decided to side with Lee, whose artwork was believed to be the comic's main selling point at the time, so Claremont quit.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 7, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

I don't think the whole submitting the finished art late was an intentional thing, but yeah - Lee came on board and wanted to do stories about Sentinels, have Magneto as a villain and Professor X in a wheelchair, Claremont wanted to move past all that stuff. He went to Harras, who sided with Lee, so Claremont left.

Whatever may have happened, it is interesting that it was basically a reversal of the situation ten years earlier, when Byrne quit because Claremont was scripting it contrary to his own intentions (e.g. there's one issue where Colossus rips a stump out of the ground; Byrne wanted it to demonstrate how easy it was for him, but Claremont filled out the narration in a way that portrayed it as more of a titanic struggle).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CzarChasm posted:

I want to say in a recent Deadpool comic someone referred to Hawkeye as "Purple Arrow"

The Flash called him "Purple Arrow" in JLA/Avengers (he also says he "has experience with boomerangs" and Hawkeye complains his boomerang arrow "would've worked on the Whizzer").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose the fact that Mark Waid seems to have burned his bridges with DC could very well preclude more of his Flash stories being collected in the near future than have been already.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

It would be a little hard to since his spine was adamantium. However, when he did not have it he might have been beheaded and they could place the head back on the neck. I know this has happened to deadpool but it was in Otherworld

One of the many, many "Professor X is actually an rear end in a top hat" stories from the mid- to late-2000s featured all of Xavier's plans for taking out the team if the need ever arose; for Wolverine he recommended removing his head and then taking it a few miles away from his body and keeping it in an adamantium box. Make of that what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Those were actually from 1996 and seemed like a response to Justice Leagues Tower of Babel. I also remember hearing Wolverine being decapitated and that must be where its from.

Well, if it's from 1996, it would predate "Tower of Babel" by about five years.