Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

She would have gotten Mephisto-magicked out of existence along with the marriage, presumably?

Yup. Mephisto even mentions that the baby would've become the greatest superhero in history before casting his magic divorce spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Madkal posted:

All so an 90 year old women can continue living.

In fairness, that 90 year old woman could've been a solid hero too.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I started out as a joke but once I was at the halfway point on the singles I couldn't stop.

It's okay, Rhyno. We're here for you.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

To move away from our collective eye-rolling at all things Clone Saga, I've got a question about JLA/Avengers: Is it ever explained why Superman is such a massive dick throughout that crossover?

A number of the Avengers and JLA members were written a bit uncharacteristically to accommodate the crossover's core gimmick (that is, huge brawls between two rival publisher's biggest superhero teams), but throughout the series Superman is constantly making GBS threads on Marvel's heroes and their dimension, to the point where other Justice League members are actively weirded out by what a tool he's being. Even before the reality-warping confusion toward the middle of the series, Superman is constantly harping on how terrible Marvel's heroes must be (largely because Flash was unsuccessfully attacked by a mob of human bigots for defending a random mutant), and how their world must be horrible and technologically backwards (because Metropolis, in Marvel's reality, is an idyllic field "somewhere off I-95").

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Ah. That makes sense.

I guess Captain America's personality change seems a bit more in character too, given his history. If your defining moment is punching Hitler in the face, you're probably not going to be too keen on seeing statues of a nigh-godlike entity whose name is an English translation of Übermensch.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Since I don't know what "European" means here I'm just going to guess her heart condition would be better off after years of prison in Europe than it would be after years of no prison in the US :smugmrgw:

Oh, gently caress off.

She was literally in a prison in Europe. Your nationalist chest-thumping is unnecessary and annoying. Don't we get enough of that poo poo outside of our comic book threads?

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 20, 2015

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

They're not scare quotes you loving idiot; I don't know where in Europe she was in prison.

Defensive!

Had you read the comic (or the link posted two pages back: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/02/14/abandoned-love-whatever-happened-to-peter-and-mary-janes-baby/) you'd notice that "European prison" is all the information we were given, more or less verbatim. Nobody was making GBS threads on the subcontinent, he was merely restating what the comic (and Brian Cronin's latter-day look at it) initially said.

But hey, politicizing stuff is fun. I get it.

EDIT: Before mods point it out, this is the stupidest damned derail. I can't stop you from responding with Internet-typical outrage at someone insulting you, but let's get back to making fun of comic books, not one another's respective countries of origin. This whole discussion is beneath us, and I'm sorry I ever jumped in.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 20, 2015

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Okay then.

Getting back on topic: Do the Nextwave heroes appear anywhere outside of Warren Ellis' miniseries in their Nextwave incarnations? I know Captain Marvel and a few of the others were relatively minor characters prior to Warren Ellis making them interesting, but do they remain interesting elsewhere?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

prefect posted:

This panel happens right before he attaches power-draining clamps to the Surfer's head. Doom is an rear end in a top hat.

Correction: Doom is Doom.

It is we, with our trifling minds and feeble bodies, that are the true assholes.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 11, 2015

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I've got a question about this guy.

Where does all the Rob Liefeld hatred come from?

Granted, he's not a very good artist, he can't draw feet for poo poo, and any improvements he's made over the years have been minor at best. Still, from everything I've seen, he's a pretty nice guy who loves working in comics, generally meets his deadlines, and is well-liked by his coworkers and most people who've spent time with him.

So, where does all the hatred come from? Is it because he was astronomically successful in a very short period of time despite being self-taught? Is it because he exemplifies 90s-style art, with all the pouches, gritted teeth and X-TREME attitude that implies? Or is there a dark side to Liefeld, and I've somehow missed the interview where he discusses kicking puppies and the economic benefits of apartheid?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

What I'm getting from this flurry of responses is that Rob Liefeld is a terrible artist who inexplicably found success, and thus responsibility, which led to his making a number of poor business decisions. He's far from a saint, but as a person, he's relatively low on the totem pole of comic book industry assholes. Or, at least, far lower than anyone would expect based on the ire his name conjures up.

Alright. I'm satisfied. I also would've accepted hatred of his smug face and anger over Shatterstar's stupid dual-sword.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 12, 2015

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

hadji murad posted:

Isn't Liefeld also a really big holy roller?

That probably depends on what you mean by "holy roller."

Are you using the phrase colloquially to mean "overtly religious," or are you using it correctly to suggest Liefeld is a Pentecostal zealot?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

When I was a kid, back in the 90s, I owned a huge comic collection. I don't remember where I got it, or when, but I do remember the thing was about half the thickness of a dictionary, maybe, and had a whole bunch of stuff in it. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the hell this thing was. I know a lot of specific info but I've had very little luck investigating this every few years when I remember it again. Aside from a single Age of Apocalypse comic a friend owned where Blink fought Holocaust, this was my first exposure to most of these comic characters.

I don't understand.

Your "huge comic collection" was "about half the thickness of a dictionary," or are you referring to one large book that was part of your collection?

Do you live in Europe? American comics often reached European shores with no regard for their original publishing schedule/format. I'm not sure why stories from DC, Marvel and a bunch of other publishers would appear in the same book — assuming that's what you meant — but it's a lot less likely to have happened in America where lawyers representing those corporations would have developed giant money boners at the mere idea of such a thing.

(Unless you're referring to one of the periodic company crossovers, but your description doesn't sound like that.)

Edit: Is it possible that this thing was an amateur-bound collection of various stories? I don't know if that was a thing in the 90s, but it certainly is these days.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 14, 2015

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Doesn't help much, but the Superman story definitely sounds like Man of Steel #2. It had an interview between Superman and Lois, the craft Superman saved in the previous issue was changed to a space plane because of the Challenger disaster, and it was written by Byrne.

Yeah, the space plane bit sounds a lot like Byrne's Man of Steel mini-series.

I have no idea why that'd appear alongside Tintin and Spider-Man though.

Prison Warden posted:

I may have thought it was amateur if it weren't for the charity stuff being in it, and also, I seem to vaguely recall, the page transitions didn't always fit that. Like, you'd have a page with a couple of Garfield strips on one side and the start of a Spider-man story on the other side.

DC and Marvel occasionally allowed their characters to appear in comics to promote stuff like dental hygiene. You wouldn't happen to remember what this charity was, would you?

Edit: vvv This is my guess too. An utter lack of Google search results supports this idea.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 14, 2015

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

While recovering from surgery I'm rereading Ostrander's seminal run on Suicide Squad for the fifth time and I've got a few questions for those of you with a better grasp of DC's history/continuity than I.
  • Does Captain Boomerang (Digger Harkness) have any other appearances that are worth reading? He's a delightful bastard in SS.
  • Was Sheba created for SS or did it exist prior to Ostrander's run? (Airwolf doesn't count.)
  • That first volume is the only Suicide Squad comics I've read, largely because I haven't heard anyone gush over later runs like they do for the original. Are there any other worthwhile SS storylines?
  • Just how strenuous were DC's editors about blue language in this era? There's a number of lines that were pretty obviously written to include a "poo poo" or "rear end" then altered to be more family-friendly, yet Captain Boomerang pretty regularly addresses women with Aussie slang for "whore" and even refers to black characters as "abos" a few times. Was that all ignored because uptight American moms wouldn't pick up on such things?
(Aside: If you haven't read the first volume of Suicide Squad, do so before the live-action movie debuts next year. I have no idea how the film is shaping up, but I feel very comfortable in saying that it will look like terrible when compared to the unexpectedly intelligent, mature stories Ostrander was writing in the 1980s.)

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 14, 2015

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Which would explain how "kike" got into an issue of Wolverine...

That was ostensibly an editorial mistake. A massive, baffling editorial mistake.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

It just kinda feels like if you're pissed at one you should be pissed at the other on some level.

Why does my brother, a Caucasian man married to a Mexican woman, hate black people?

The problem is that you're trying to apply logic to inherently illogical racism. People fear the "Other," regardless of how many other "Others" there are, or how realistic that fear might be.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Edit: Nothing to see here. Just some idiot who don't know how to use forums.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I think you're thinking of X-men Evolution which introduced X-23.

Really? Does anyone have backstory on how this came about?

I always thought it was editorial's idea to create X-23 to appeal to all those Wolverine fans who just couldn't find a way to jack off to hairy, ol' Logan. It seems out of character for a cartoon company to decide to add more female characters, given how frequently they cite the antiquated stereotype that young girls don't watch cartoons aimed at boys (read: any cartoon not centering on makeup, school dances or ponies).

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Did Scalped become terrible at some point? After a year of publication it was receiving glowing praise from all the critics, so I bought all the trades and loved what I read, but stopped following the book shortly after for various unimportant reasons. Since that time I've heard almost no mention of it, which usually indicates a dramatic drop in quality (see also: Fables and everything Robert Kirkman's written).

So, how is Scalped currently? Should I pick up where I left off, or will I just be disappointed?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

X-O posted:

I thought Aaron finished it years ago. I had no idea it was still a thing.

Huh. It looks like you're right. The 60-issue run came to an end in 2012.

So, my question stands. Did it become terrible at any point between 2008 and 2012?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Ultragonk posted:

Cool. I liked the movie they did of it so I was hoping the comic version was great.

Definitely read the comic. The movie glosses over cool plot points due to time constraints, and the comic art is significantly better.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I'm going to be the dozenth person to recommend We3.

It made me cry like a seven-year-old girl who has fallen off her bike and skinned her knee.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Ultragonk posted:

Oh no, that was a joke it's taken me a few months to read the Ultimate universe mostly because I didn't have the free time I do now so I was just reading in drips and drabs. I do want to read a ton of main continuity comics though. I'm already up to Uncanny X-Men 211 and Amazing Spider-Man 127 I didn't know that Daredevil could be so good so I've added that to the list. Mind you the list of stuff i want to read keeps growing and is a bit out of control I may have to do the sensible thing and just chuck some stuff and slim down my reading list.

It's semi-tangential to the rest of the Marvel Universe, but you're going to want to add Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. to your list. You could read the entire series in a day. It's arguably the best thing Warren Ellis has ever written.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Finally, I got through the whole thread just to make sure I didn't ask something redundant. I have two questions.

1) What exactly are Wanda's powers? With all the buzz around Civil War, I've been getting full "You read all comics ever, right?" and people want me to explain her. I always say that her powers are just whatever bullshit they need to be for the story, but that's not fair. Is it just reality bending that sometimes looks like telekinesis and telepathy?

There's a Simpsons episode where Lucy Lawless is at a comic book convention, and she's being asked annoyingly pedantic questions about plot holes in Xena: The Warrior Princess. Her response is, "Uh, yeah, well, whenever you notice something like that ... a wizard did it. "

Wanda is that wizard.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Who are the successful and/or good characters created in the 2000's?

Tommy Monaghan from Hitman more or less qualifies. Yeah, he briefly appeared in the early 90s, but he wasn't really a thing until Ennis started writing Hitman in 2009. The book wasn't a runaway success, but it was pretty drat good.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Super Dan posted:

The Hitman series started in 1996, you're probably confused because they started reprinting the trades in 2009.

Yup. Clearly confused. Please ignore me.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Rhyno posted:

It's going to easily hit $200M by Sunday and that's just the domestic number. Critical rating aside, DC has a hit on their hands.

You may be right about that $200m figure, but Deadline (https://deadline.com/2016/08/weekend-box-office-suicide-squad-sausage-party-petes-dragon-1201802677/) has SS at a ~67% drop in box office take week over week, which is only slightly better than the catastrophic ~69% drop of Batman V Superman. Suicide Squad will be a "hit," but that's got nothing to do with people enjoying the film. It had a strong enough marketing push to open big, but once word of mouth started to spread and real people told other real people that the movie was awful and baffling, the audience vanished. That wouldn't be a problem if WB could rely on China to pick up the slack -- as so many major blockbusters these days do -- but it can't as the authorities won't allow SS to appear there.

There's a good reason why I put "hit" in scarequotes: SS will make what is objectively an obscene amount of money, but it won't meet their internal projections, and people at WB will be laid off for making a critically-reviled film that drastically underperformed at the box office.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Lurdiak.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

My cat is very docile most of the time but he gets ridiculously bitey every night, without fail, around 9-10 pm just before I put him to bed. I don't really understand it. :shrug:

Have you tried kitty snuggles and/or tummy scritches?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It just kinda feels like he got pushed because people missed John Candy.

Nah, he got the rub because comedy needs big fat guys, and a big fat guy willing to throw himself through tables for laughs is a gold mine.

And say what you will of Chris Farley, he's a better big fat guy than any of the modern big fat guys.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Unmature posted:

You know they wouldn't have to do that if people didn't block the ads right?

When do you get to the part where you tell us not to pirate movies because it's the same as car theft?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I'm sure at least one of Jean Grey's resurrections improved an X-book somewhere along the line.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Roth posted:

If we count it, then her first "resurrection" into Phoenix early on in Claremont's run.

That's what I was leaning towards, but that resurrection didn't get notably good until she went from Phoenix to Dark Phoenix. On the other hand, any form of Phoenix beats the milquetoast reminder of 1960s-era sexuality that is Marvel Girl, so yeah, it's definitely a step up from the previous status quo.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

And then promptly ditched it when he didn't need it anymore.

I'm no expert on growing bipedal avatars, but I'd have to think that if you grow yourself a Kurt Russell, you may wanna keep him around a while.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Madkal posted:

What was the deal of New Universe? I'm not a marvel fan but I seem to remember hearing that it was Marvel's attempt to do relevant comics in the 80s and failing spectacularly. Is this accurate?

I've always heard it was Marvel's effort to create a comics world governed by "real science" (or as close to plausible science as superhero comics could be). That idea kinda faded with time however, until the New Universe was just a different comic book world with characters less interesting than those in the original Marvel U. At that point it was superfluous and thus killed off.

(Cue corrections from more knowledgeable comic geeks.)

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I don't know how you can't think Night Thrasher isn't cool.

He has a skateboard.

Dwayne McDuffie might disagree.

http://www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-138/

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I was waiting for that to come up as soon as Night Thrasher got brought up.

I'm just happy to have an excuse to highlight this story once again. It's like Kirby vs The Mob or any story involving Steranko's life; too good not to pass down through the generations.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Unmature posted:

Finally checking out Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat (which is delightful) and in issue 1 she says she "has a thing with fridges."

Is that a reference to something or just wackiness?

It’s a reference to DC putting Green Lantern’s girlfriend in a fridge. Gail Simone wrote a semi-famous attack on the comics industry’s marginalization of female characters and “put X in a fridge” became catch all shorthand for women being unceremoniously hosed over in the interest of promoting male characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

It's been forever since I read the (first) book and I haven't seen the movie, but from everything I've heard they took a ton of liberties in adapting a nearly-forgotten D-List team into the movie.

This is a massive understatement. Outside of the name, the movie has almost nothing to do with the comics.