Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I remember reading a series for the original New Universe called Justice. It was about a guy who was an alien cop who somehow (?) incarnated in a human form. He had these powers where he could yell "shield!" and a shield would form on his hand, and if he wanted to wreck fools he could shout "sword!" and he'd have some kind of energy attack. Both of them were really square and Simonson-esque. From what I recall he was rooting out shape-shifting aliens (dire wraiths?) and all the attendant confusion and persecution that entails. If I recall correctly he was then retconned into something else completely by the end of the series. Anyway, long explanation, but was it ever collected anywhere? I kind of want to see if I remember it like it was originally presented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

EC might have been lionized in the post-CCA world, but they were also just publishing good comics that not many others in their field were. Just a couple months ago in the Sentimental pages thread someone posted the Judgement Day story unprompted. And that wasn't a one off, there was Wally Wood's Perimeter story, and Blood Brothers, and many more. So yes they've probably received too much 'credit' as being the main target for the CCA, but I think they would have received a just amount of credit regardless.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rhyno posted:

USM was allowed to be slow because it was shipping so frequently. At one point it hit 18 issues in a year.

Was that all under Bagley? Jesus he was a machine.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is an odd one, but can someone summarize Superior Foes of Spider Man 15-17 for me? I have up to 14 but have changed my budgeting around so I'm not buying nearly as many comics any more, so i realize I'll probably never finish getting that series. You can spoiler text it if you want.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Maybe some of the Beast avengers stuff?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Teenage Fansub posted:

This question may be a bit specific, unless there's someone with 90's comic coloring and printing experience, but I was just reading the Doom Patrol Omnibus and noticed this

with the color dipping into the black, making it darker and maybe glossier (It seems to blend in more when not angled to a light.)
Are those the colorist's strokes? If they are, I like seeing the process in it, but I can't see any other pages with bleed over like that, so I assume it's a mistake that we can see them.
What would've happened?

Looks like a CMYK thing where the blacks weren't registered properly as 'true black' (which would have been a bitch and a half in the pre-digital age), but it could be an artifact of bleed like prefect mentions.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This isn't really a factual wiki style question, but more of an opinion one. How many of you guys remember Comico from the 80s?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comico
(warning D-class article)

I remember being obsessed with the Next Man (McKenzie/Argondezzi) comic series, because Comico's distribution was so bad I could only get 3 out of the 5 issues and had no idea what had happened in between. My brother bought Grendel and Mage but I thought they were lame as a kid. I didn't know what a mary sue was at that time but that's what Grendel felt like to me, though maybe I was wrong since Wagner has a pretty good reputation and I haven't read them since.

Comico also had Willingham, Hempel, Rude, Baron, and Steve Fuckin Purcell of Sam and Max fame. Am I just old or does anyone else remember these?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Question IRL posted:

(according to the Frank Millar run)

I'm trying to come up with the story a Frank Miller and a Mark Millar amalgam would write but I'm just coming up empty.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

A lot of the Liefeld rage I think was more than the sum of his parts. It was more because of how influential, popular, and successful he was in that era. For a brief time, he was the artist, the one who set the tone, the one everyone wanted and if they couldn't get him, they tried to get the next guy like him. The problem was twofold:
1. The art was terrible. Simply terrible. Energetic and dynamic maybe, but terrible.
2. Every idea or contribution he had was "cool" like a high school kid drawing on his binder. Simple-minded adolescent power fantasies. But wait you cry! That's all comics! Yes. And his stuff was so bad it stuck out even in that field.

So he helped bring about this kind of neanderthal ethos (Bloodripper! Ripbloodman! Clawslash!) that was much larger than his actual output would indicate. And the result of that was so terrible, people hate him by proxy of being responsible for it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

bobkatt013 posted:

In a way. They brought morph back into the spotlight and that popularity led to him being in age of apocalypse followed by Exiles

Yeah Morph is the only character I can think of they handled that probably saw a resurgence

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've never looked but doesn't GoodReads do reviews? Or would that only be for collections/GNs?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The madman figure itsa me

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ultragonk posted:

Ultimate Aunt May really is great, considering she has lost her husband and now her nephew is lying to her and disappearing at all hours they do a good job of drawing her looking pissed off and upset about the whole thing at the same time. I haven't started the Ultimates yet so I hope that is going to be good as well.

I'm liking the X-men so far though there was an issue all about Gambit that seemed a bit out of place compared to the rest.

After reading Ultimate Spider Man you must read the Spider Men mini-series for Aunt May's ultimate payoff.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm trying to think of petty poo poo bad guys or good have done and coming up empty. You guys should keep posting examples because I'm sure there's some hilarious ones

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't cyborg have a holo disguise thing back in the perez days or did young me smoke too much crack

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thanks for the confirmation of the crack smoking theory guys, I guess I just remembered cyborg would don disguised but just not what form they took. Which is crazy because if I had a crazy metal face and body I think it'd be cool AF.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Also if you're coming into Batman completely cold, Gotham Central is one of the best series produced ever related to him. He shows up as an incidental character mostly, and instead focuses on the police who have to work in a world where Batman and his crazy enemies exist.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The other question would be, how does inter-bone transfer work, like minerals and red blood cells if the bone is coated in an impermeable layer.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry if this is spoilerific, it's about Rebirth:

So, Calendar Man is magical somehow, shedding his skin every year, now? Did this come right out of left field, or is there some Morrison-esque Silver Age story that implies this?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Travis343 posted:

I believe it is completely new.

Huh. I'm not heavily invested in Calendar Man, nor would I really go to bat for him, but it seems like a weird place to go with his character. To me, he was always about being obsessed with holidays, but also completely crazy, which makes him not ... relatable, but understandable? His obsession was his weakness and his strength, such as it was. To give him this bizarre, mystical link to nature(?) makes him less interesting in my opinion, and kind of invalidates that frailty that his insanity brought to the table.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

House Style has also obviously changed with the times. I think the first time I heard it used pejoratively was about Claremont/Byrne at Marvel.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That seems dumb though since it's mostly about distribution channels and ratings boards, divorced from content. It's be like saying the only eras of video games are pre-esrb and post-steam

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I thought kyle was well used in the recent omega men series, but is he even a green lantern char any more? (Serious question, I stopped reading during the darkest night bullshit)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This was the lead-in to Court of Owls and.... kinda yeah.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Meltzer is famous? For what, me to poop on?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't forget the important part though, the burg was in stasis or estivation or whatever for those 8 years

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think unnecessary could describe quite a lot of the latter parts of that series actually.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What if it's something as simple as "Jane can live. But only as Thor"?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ghostlight posted:

I'll spoil it for you - Rogue's attempt to depower Marvel is thwarted, so instead she targets another known heavy-lifter superhero like Captain America. From there events unfold pretty much identically except Captain America now serves as head of SHIELD earlier than usual due to lack of powers, and Rogue eventually takes his place due to the heroic memories gained. Nothing changes for Marvel except that she still has her original powers when she gets empowered by the white hole, making her return to status quo less of a handwave.

... And spider man dies

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

prefect posted:

I sort mine chronologically by color. :catdrugs:

I sort by ISBN for GNs, barcode for floppies.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Jurgens

Whaàaaaa?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

When they brought Hal back all I could think was "jeez hasn't that guy had a few too many hits to the head for this? He should be in a dark room somewhere"

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lurdiak posted:

:sigh: This is depressing on so many levels.

He was just trying to get into the movie, he didn't really like Zemo.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ferrule posted:

Mike Grell's Warlord series?

This comic, no joke, is probably what taught me to read as a kid pawing through my older brothers comics. It's probably not as cool now as I thought it was back then :(

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The big question here is how Scott Lobdell keeps getting work

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I wonder if some variety of Siamese twin case law precedent would be relevant.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If you're doing power girl you gotta do huntress as well. Swamp thing. Black canary. Star Lord kinda

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is this preference for Dick (lol) in part because the body of work involving him is much larger?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I do remember they were a pain the rear end to rack and store given the folio size. My brother had an awesome comic rack he stole when the drug store shut down but they just never fit into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Like a lot of guys if Sandman's powers were logically extrapolated he would be incredibly dangerous, what with suffocation, the abrasive properties of sand, and even stuff like mixed solid liquification. So as said, it depends on the writer.