Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chinaman7000 posted:

You know how in video games the villain is super tough, and all powerful, until they turn to your side?

This actually directly applies to Magneto, who was the final boss in X-Men Legends and a regular party member in XMLII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

Also worth mentioning with the alternate Earths is that after Crisis on Infinite Earths, it was mandated that there could not only be no more alternate realities, but Superman had to be the one and only last survivor of Krypton. So within three years, John Byrne decided to bring in Supergirl from a "pocket dimension" because that's not the same thing, right? Right. Pocket dimension.

Hey now, she was also an artificial Kryptonian who later turned into an angel. Totally within the rules.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

She wasn't Kryptonian. She was a clone of Lana Lang created with a genetic matrix. He powers were only superficially like Supermans.

Thus making her an artificial Kryptonian.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HitTheTargets posted:

Barry Allen caused Flashpoint and the New 52. If SB Prime counts, Barry runs circles around him.

Actually, Superman Prime is different then Superboy Prime, even though Superboy Prime did use that name in Countdown because of legal issues. Superman Prime the reality warper was present Superman's future incarnation in DC One Million. He was solid gold and could create life and poo poo like that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Uthor posted:

In this case, Europa sure looks a lot like generic "England" and is home to a pop celebrity. Though the moon explanation did pop into my head at one point.

Is it the dead one? That was supposed to be Princess Di but Marvel changed it. Could be they altered it from England to a generic European country.

Edit: Beat.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 17, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

The Badass Panels thread has recently shown a bunch of Superman/JLA pastiches in Marvel comics and most of them are pretty good and really get what makes the classic DC pantheon great. Are there any examples of the reciprocal from DC's side of things? I'm talking explicit references and not just old legacy versions from back when everyone was doing X, like Captain America/Guardian or the Fantastic Four/Challengers of the Unknown, but clear analogues like Superman/Hyperion.

Not only can I not think of anything offhand, but I'm expecting any examples from recent history to be some immature cheap parodies instead of the generally thoughtful character examinations/homages that Marvel seems to prefer when they look across the desk. :(

Hank Henshaw and his crew were Fantastic Four analogues. It didn't end well.

Though Henshaw did end up fighting the FF in Superman/Fantastic Four.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

I think they fought one of the decade's less well-regarded Justice League spin-off groups (maybe Justice League Task Force).

Oh yeah, I forgot all about them. The Assembler's Silver Sorceress(Scarlet Witch) and Blue Jay(Ant Man) joined Justice League Europe.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

To be honest I think the most dated super-origin of all is the X-men. They used to be "children of the atom", but even after they introduced the "x-gene", the idea of a single gene that has no real reason for appearing giving people so many ridiculous powers is pushing suspension of disbelief way further than is advisable. "Hey guys, I have a gene in me and now I can control gravity."

Celestials put the X-gene as a sleeper thing in pre-humans to start awakening and activating later.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

That just reminds me of how lazy some of the Ultimate stuff was. Like Ultimate Daredevil was just... Daredevil. I don't think he even wore a different costume.

To be fair, Ultimate wasn't supposed to be different at the start, just without decades of continuity.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

And really, there is something to be said for not fixing things that aren't broken. Trying too hard to be new for newness' sake gives us stuff like Earth One.

I don't get the hate for Earth One(Superman, I'm assuming, haven't read any of the others). What's so bad about it?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ror posted:

Was there ever a version of Cyclops that actually had some sort of cyclopic deformity?

The Dresden Codak dude's redesign did.

Unlike his DC designs("Green Lantern is now a sexy girl who's powers come from her chest"), I like his version of the X-Men.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

And naturally, in Age of Ultron when he was a literal cyclops, he went by "Cable". One of the numerous :doh:-worthy moments of AoU.

Because unlike "Cyclops", "Cable" is a name that means "one eye".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Whizbang posted:

Well, yeah.

Wonder Woman is just genderflipped Wonder Man, right?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Extremists were originally villians to the Champions of Angor, which had a Thor, Scarlet Witch, Ant Man, and Hawkeye. The Scarlet Witch(Silver Sorceress) and Ant Man(Blue Jay) came over to the main universe and were briefly on some incarnation of the Justice League.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Starsnostars posted:

There's Shang Chi's dad, Dr. Fu Manchu, who I don't believe Marvel can use.

Which is, honestly, for the better. Marvel has a terrible enough track record with the Manderin and all their Asian heroes being stereotyped. Having Fu Manchu in a story would be the LoEG/Golliwog stuff all over again. You just can't redeem something like that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HitTheTargets posted:

They went on record saying that only the movies, and for whatever reason the Clone Wars TV show, are canon. So the current status of Dark Horse comicbooks: not canon.

They said the show was canon because it just happened to be airing at the time, and they get more profit from it then the comics.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Idran posted:

But they don't get zero profit from the comics; not to deny the profit-driven nature of the industry, and this is probably a naive question with an obvious answer I haven't thought of, but if that was the reason why wouldn't they say everything profitable was canon?

Also I thought Clone Wars had ended by the time of the announcement.
Very few things can work with a "everything is canon" perspective. WH4K does, but it's explicit about how it's all told from an in universe perspective and so a lot of it can be or is lies or embellishment.

People would rather just put the spotlight on whatever should get the most promotion at the time. Even if The Clone Wars wasn't airing at the time(I'm unclear about that), then it was still very recent and probably has a lot of merch. It'd look weird to practically declare a longrunning TV show that just wrapped up a waste of time, but the comics are much more of a niche audience.

And anyway, I think they said basically "All previous/current EU except for the show is non canon, but going forward all the new EU will be canon".

Also, on another note, the comics are far, far more connected to the rest of the old EU then the show.

See also how Earth 16 was officially declared the Young Justice universe. That's already gone because when you can only have 52 you don't want to waste one on an old show, especially when iconic and universally beloved Elseworlds like Red Son will always have a reserved spot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently pre-New 52 Booster and Beetle are going to show up in a future Justice League 3000 issue.

Maybe they'll be the villains of the arc. The New 52 is darker then the previous canon as the previous canon was to the silver age, so Infinite Crisis 2.0?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

That one doesn't count because he never actually died. I mean, it's one of those bullshit times where he should've but he healing factors his way out. His inner monologue never even stops the entire time he's getting nuked and regenerating.

Remember that What If? where Wolverine was killed by being stabbed? Hahaha.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

prefect posted:

So if Nitro takes a bunch of cocaine and blows up, do people in the blast radius get high?

Theoretically, but they'd be annihilated first.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ironically, he debuted in a story right after Disassembled. He wanted to stop his older self and keep from becoming Kang, but the pre-Civil War New Avengers hadn't even formed, necessitating the Young Avengers being enlisted from Vision's secret list of potentials. In Children's Crusade someone he loved died so he became obsessed with changing the past to his liking, and, well, Kang. He was a bad guy in Fraction's FF afterwards.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 27, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The "Iron Lad" name was because in the beginning of Young Avengers they pretty much all lied/mislead people about their lineage.

Billy's Thor motif becomes shockingly irrelevant pretty early on.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

He's done literally everything possible in the legal system because bad writers tend to drop them all into one big bucket marked "lawyer". There's rarely consistency even in a run from a single writer, let alone between writers.

That's the same way it is with scientists and non-medical doctors.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Unmature posted:

Does anyone else sometimes have trouble guessing what swear word a writer is going for? Sometimes it just feels like they thought "and then they say a bad word here" without thinking of what they're actually saying.

Or maybe I'm a weirdo and this is a nonsense post,

This happens in Chick tracts a lot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Schneider Heim posted:

Thank you! Who knew Ennis could write Superman well... I'm only 2/5ths through Hitman right now.

I've heard it said Superman is the only superhero Ennis really respects.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wolverine's skeleton is laced with metal.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FilthyImp posted:

Though, it was pretty neat to see a bone-claw Wolverine as a player in MvsC2

Which is a lot like Marvel vs DC with Thor's blue costume in preserving weird 90s versions of characters.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

irlZaphod posted:

House of M itself though, outside of the main mini, is nothing remarkable. It's worth reading, sure, but if you're looking for a long epic with a lot of lead-in and fall-out to take up a 15 hour flight, you're not going to find it there.

You will, however, find it in Planet Hulk.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

According to the Waid version (which I just finished reading up to volume 7 today) the driver of the unlicensed chemical disposal truck was looking down at his cell phone up until the very last second.

Waid must have been thinking for when people read it in the future. Doesn't seem like cell phones would be a thing when Matt of the-present-is-2014 was that young.

Unless Matt is younger then I think and it was a big Zack Morris brick.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

What happens to Beast Boy's costume when he changes? In cartoons and what I've seen in comics it just seems like he goes from wearing his costume to naked animal.

DC's equivalent of unstable molecules.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Has the Punisher ever been much of a detective? I'm reading The Punisher MAX*, and Frank's getting information is literally just sitting at the crime scene eavesdropping on the police. Not that I expect him to have a Batcave to do forensics in, but that's just lazy.

*I swear, I have a love/hate relationship with the writings of Garth Ennis, but this is really good so far and I love The Punisher

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

I'm sure this has been addressed so what was the Green Lantern who was responsible for Krypton's deal? You would think that letting a planet not blow up would have been on the Green Lantern's to do list.

It was Tomar Re, the orange dude with the beak.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Let's be fair, at the time that Lobo was regenerating from single drops of blood Wolverine could still be stopped with a shotgun and took hours to heal instead of seconds.

Wolverine could be killed with a shotgun back then. Originally it was kind of like Time Lord regeneration rules. Can heal from anything as long as he doesn't die from it first, and he was about as durable as the average (albeit really fit, and possibly with superhuman agility) human.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Dr. Doom did, on the Hulk, and the chainsaws were adamantium.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

If Batman survived with Terror, Crime, Fear and even Horror not allowed I'm pretty sure most could have.

Yeah, but Batman spent that period transforming into a baby and the Joker just played harmless pranks on people.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Uthor posted:

Question about the Batman Beyond TV show. Figure you guys would know. In The Call (Season 3, episode 7), Superman is taking out the Justice League and Bruce busts out the Kryptonite saying, "This isn't the first time Superman's gone rogue." What's that referring to?

Superman was brainwashed by Darkseid in one episode of Superman the Animated Series, which is the same event that got Professor Hamilton to join Cadmus.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 15, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

prefect posted:

I want to say that the book-number limit was why they had so many split books, like Strange Tales, featuring Nick Fury and Doctor Strange. (A natural pairing.)

Original Sin seemed to think so.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That was Punisher and Dr. Strange.

Dr. Strange and a grizzled guy with guns, same thing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

If there were insane people with superpowers like Magneto running around in real life I'd find it really hard to find it morally objectionable to brainwash them. Especially since we'd probably just have them killed instead.

It worked out pretty well in Knights of the Old Republic.

And Axis, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Where do I start reading with IDW Transformers? Holy poo poo this all sounds really interesting.