Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

How old is Kate Bishop supposed to be these days? Like in Hawkguy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Yes, assuming you like Gillen/McKelvie. When it was coming out a lot of people had problems with the pacing, but as a collected work, that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Cool, I'd only read the older YA run and not this latest. I'll start it whenever I finish Journey Into Mystery.

Little did I know asking a character's age would get me a run to read. Comics!

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I totally forgot about them showing her as a child. I kinda assumed she stepped out of a tube full grown. Still, if she's 23 now, I don't know what people are complaining about.

I remembered them showing her as a child, but I thought she was supposed to be a toddler and like 2 or 3 years old. Then I had no loving clue how old she was supposed to be later and just kind of assumed she was a badly-drawn teenager, because lord knows some comic artists can't draw teen girls right half the time.

Then I realized Romita Jr just sucks at drawing kids and she was supposed to be a bit older than that.

I think a lot of people pegged her for younger because it wasn't clear how old she was in the initial appearance, nor how old she was after the ten year time skip thing. They figured the "23!" thing was a lovely last-minute retcon, rather than something intended all along but obscured by inability to draw kids' ages.

Edit: Also, a bunch of people hopped on a Twitter/Tumblr bandwagon where they heard one person who'd assumed her age incorrectly rant about it, and then got all mad about a comic they'd not even read. So that's where some of the complaining came from also.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

When did Namor go from wearing his little swim trunks to actual pants and stuff? Is there a specific issue. Is this ever addressed in the text of a comic.

I need to know the full history of why Namor stopped wearing his green scale speedo. Thanks in advance.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Found this posted elsewhere with no mention of what issue it was from. Anybody know?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

zoux posted:

I love how Noto draws X-23.

Thanks all.

And that explains why I couldn't figure out which issue of Fantastic Four/FF/Whatever that Noto drew, haha. Thought I recognized his stuff!

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Thanks for the recommendation!

I was looking around and I saw Widowmaker. Has anyone here read it?

Widowmaker is ... not great. Parts of it are kind of OK, I guess? I couldn't tell you which parts. I don't remember hating it or anything but I wouldn't recommend it at all. It does lead into and help set up a four-issue Hawkeye mini that I mostly enjoyed, so there's that. v :) v

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Dumb Wolverine question - back when he had his healing factor and wasn't dead, what happened if he got decapitated? Like, did he grow a new head, or a new body, or have to have the parts put back together, or ... did this ever happen at all? I need to know. Thanks.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Avengers totally owns but if you're not feeling it by #18 I don't think what comes later will change your mind. Maybe stick with it through Infinity and see how you feel then. The problem is that it becomes heavily intertwined with New Avengers later - you can't really read one without the other.

I dunno, I bailed on Avengers early and haven't felt too lost in NA. I mean, I'm probably missing something, but I couldn't tell you what. I guess for obvious reasons. But, uh, it's read pretty well on its own and I really look forward to each new issue even if I'm apparently missing out on TOTALLY HUGE STUFF.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Has Reed Richards ever died?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

10 Beers posted:

Thanks, guys! Guess I might as well ask, what's everyone reading from Marvel?

All-New Ghost Rider
Black Widow
Loki: Agent of Asgard
Ms. Marvel
Secret Avengers
Cyclops
She-Hulk

... I'm reading a few more than that, honestly, but those're the ones I'd recommend to other people. Shulkie is canceled and SA probably will be soon. I'm also reading Bucky Barnes, which had a shaky-rear end first issue but seems to have improved a lot on issue two, so I'm not sure whether or not I'd recommend it. Technically I'm also reading Hawkeye, though god knows when the gently caress more of that'll come out.

Not reading any DC at the moment, though I'm planning on grabbing the first Harley Quinn trade because I've liked what I've seen flipping through it and a few friends I trust seem to enjoy it.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

I added the series to my pull when it was announced because I like Bucky a lot, but then about a week before #1 came out I heard it was a "Bucky in Space" series, and was pretty disappointed. I had similar feelings about the first issue as yourselves, but I actually kinda liked the 2nd issue a lot.

The second issue was super fun, and the art/paneling was VASTLY improved. I could actually tell what was happening! :swoon: I was really wary and disappointed after issue 1 too but at the moment I'm glad I've stuck with it. It sounds like the creative team heard the complaints about #1 and are going to try and make things more coherent going forward.

Now, that's all well and good, but if that awful #1 layout killed the book ... welp!

(Seriously, there's a subplot involving some kind of cute animal that literally never gets shown on the page as far as I can tell. I love Bucky and I love dumb space stuff so I had high hopes but yeah. If it hadn't improved I would have been off it. Which is weird, because I stuck around All-New Invaders for a lot longer despite hating the art AND the writing whereas this just had bad art.)

Summary: if you're even mildly interested but stopped getting it after #1 let you down, try #2. It's good.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Pizza regionalism.

What style of pizza does Mystique like best?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

What the gently caress is this from? Anyone know? Because I need to read whatever it is. :catstare:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

redbackground posted:

Pretty sure it's Avengers #502 by Bendis/Finch. (Disassembled era)

edit: yup

Cool, I never read any of that stuff. Thanks!

That number of quivers is absurd and it owns.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

No, not even the vaguest hint of it.

Uncanny #600 has a lot of work to do if Bendis wants to even bother trying to set things up for Secret Wars. :allears:

zoux posted:

Also, is there a thread/resource talking about what the publishing schedule is going to look like during Secret Wars? I glean that all the current ongoings are ending so are they just going to publish a shitload of minis or what?

There was a "rebooting the Marvel universe" thread but it's fallen off into the mists of time someplace. My advice would be to check out solicits for the coming months. :shrug:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Skwirl posted:

A+X had generally positive reactions, but I never read it, and only just this minute remembered it existed.

There were definitely a few great stories in there. :nyoron: There was a cool one with Loki and Sinister, and then a great little story about Captain America and Quentin Quire. (I may have just liked it because I'm a sucker for Quentin Quire, though ...)

I should grab those trades.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I guess I can be Toro, and constantly have to remind people who Toro is.

Did you know he's an Inhuman now

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Going over smart characters in comics is always a little difficult because evil geniuses are so prolific, and there are myriad characters that are held up as massive players only to fade into the background. Apocalypse circa 1990 is arguably on Doom's level, for example, but time has downplayed his intelligence to the point where he's become more of a generic despot. The Intelligencia of World War Hulks is shown as collectively smart enough to outsmart most of the "top 6", but it'll probably be awhile before characters like the Mad Thinker or the Red Ghost get presented as major threats again.

In addition, intelligence lists tend to only acknowledge scientific / inventive knowledge. Dr. Strange is the #1 brain on Earth when it comes to magic, but doesn't really get as much credit for being "smart". Cyclops and Cable are tactical geniuses. Loki is a genius at sorcery and manipulation. And so on.

Not to discount the established notions of the Marvel Universe, but there's more than one way to look at it.

I feel like there's something amusing about the fact that all your examples are still dudes. Like, I'm not knocking this reply at all, you make a great point! "Most intelligent" in superhero comics terms is a really weird and focused on certain kinds of intelligence over others. There are definitely multiple ways to be smart. But these are all still dudes. (Except Loki, arguably, but Loki is Loki, so ... Yeah.)

Even when you get into other fields like that you don't really get ladies as the Best In Show of a field. Is Shulkie a better lawyer than Matt Murdock? I genuinely do not know.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I know it's manga, and normally I wouldn't bring it up, but on the fascinating subject of delays, the king is Kouta Hirano, who made Hellsing's ten volumes over twelve years. If that doesn't sound too unreasonable, keep in mind that some chapters were only a few pages long, and Dragon Ball's complete forty two volumes took eleven years. He also started a prequel to Hellsing in 2001, of which there aren't even enough chapters for a single volume and remains incomplete to this day.

If we're gonna bring manga into it, I'm going to trot out X/1999. Started in '92, got 18 volumes in, then went in hiatus in 2003 with no sign it's ever going to be finished. Actually, CLAMP does that a lot. Legal Drug was on hiatus from 2003 - 2011, when it got a new title and relaunch and really slow release schedule. I think Clover was incomplete, too? That went on "hiatus" in '99 and ain't nothing happened since. So I think CLAMP are pretty strong contenders for most hiatus-y manga team.

... Still ain't western, though, so lord knows if any of that counts.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

I understand the point, I guess it just feels like there are tons of other heroes too and you'd think they'd get lumped in to with the whole 'incredibly powerful heroes who could basically take over if they wanted' thing. I understand mutants have that fear of evolving and replacing humans in that respect, but I can only recall Civil War where the general Marvel heroes as a whole got the same treatment on some level.

It just kinda feels like if you're pissed at one you should be pissed at the other on some level.

Since the allegory's also often used for homosexuality in weird ways - I assume it's a matter of attitude and association. It's an irrational hatred borne out of assumption + stereotype. Like, people who are perfectly happy to support the military, but GAY military servicepeople?! No way, Jose! They're all folks doing the same job but some of them probably have ~secret motives.~ Similarly - people like teachers, but if family's catch wind that a teacher is gay they instantly conclude they must be a child predator. You don't see a member of the military and go "welp, they're gay!" or a teacher and go "that's a gay pedo right there," but if you hear they ARE gay ... Just so, superheroes are fine, but mutant heroes? Ick!

(You in the general bigot sense, not you as a poster.)

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is it me or does that one character look a LOT like Mr.Sinister?

Mr Sinister, Colossus, and a Nathan Summers clone all appear to be on that cover :ohdear:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Squizzle posted:

More modestly-attired than Marvel's Night Cat, imo.

Man, if ever there was a missed opportunity in Secret Wars ...

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I'm genuinely surprised there aren't any review sites. I guess with how decompressed things are, it's hard to do a really fair review of a single issue in the middle of a storyline, so reviewing storylines/trades/whatever is probably more doable. But even that doesn't seem to really happen?

Like other folks, BSS is pretty much my go-to to see if a book is worth reading or not. Other places it tends to feel like everyone either loves everything shoved their way, OR they hate every comic forever and don't actually read anything and it's hard to tell why they're still posting.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Huh? There are tons of review sites.

I am rereading my own post and have no idea what the gently caress I was getting at, because you're right, and I know this. I want to say I left out the word "good," but that'd be wrong. I've read reviews! I know they're out there! I cannot explain or justify myself.

Anyway, comics are good. What's the best comic?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Aw, that's the plot of the fanfic I'm writing.

You should work together to create a fan film.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm going to pull out an obscurity: the "Psychoville, U.S.A." storyline by Abnett and Lanning in Punisher War Zone #12-16. Sadly, I don't think it's ever been collected. I don't know how the rest of their run turns out, but it's story where Frank wakes up one day in a suburban home with a family again, having forgotten his vigilante persona... and well, it turns out the other inhabitants of the town might be a lot like him.

Blew my mind when I was a kid because you're thrown into it in media res without much explanation, and it's just a fun, weird storyline.

Edit: Also you got great covers like this:

Man, he's just left that grill and bike right near where he's mowing. That doesn't seem safe at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Unmature posted:

My live show about pop culture is doing an episode about the X-Men this week. A big part of our show is showing clips that are cool/funny/will spark discussion related to the topic.

What are some X-Men related clips we should show? Bonus points for things not from the movies or that feature creators like Liefeld and Stan Lee.

I'm on mobile so I can't link it but that Magneto vs a wooden gun clip from the 60s Fantastic Four cartoon. That's key.