Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LadyPictureShow posted:

Zoom came into being because it was like, the one time Wally refused to alter history. Zolomon was paralyzed by Grodd, and asked Wally to hop on the ol' treadmill and go back to prevent him from being paralyzed.

Wally said no; that he wasn't going to change history... which led to them altering history at a number of later points because, great, now he has to deal with Zoom because he wouldn't do his buddy a solid and unparalyze him.

Wikipedia:
"Hunter was severely injured during an attack by Gorilla Grodd at Iron Heights Penitentiary, and was left paralysed from the waist down.[5] He begged Wally to use the time-travelling cosmic treadmill in the Flash Museum to prevent the series of tragedies in his life from ever occurring. But Wally refused, not wanting to risk damaging the timestream and thus shattering their friendship. Hunter then broke into the museum and attempted to use the cosmic treadmill himself. The resulting explosion cured Hunter's paralysis and shifted his connection to time; he now had the ability to alter his personal timeframe, granting him super-speed.[6]"

How did a guy who didn't have super-speed and also couldn't walk use the cosmic treadmill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LadyPictureShow posted:

Silly stuff like that is why I both love and hate the Flash.

I feel like this image should be the de facto response in this thread when time line stuff/universe changes are brought up.

*curb your enthusiasm theme plays*

Is it a good idea to have those spikes on the handrail? You could hurt yourself.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

No. Most recent picture I could find, from that Ben Reilly series a while back

If they're clones, why is one taller than the other? Is he wearing lifts?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Bendis has done good things and also bad things.

(He should not have been allowed near Doctor Strange.)

I am the master of the hot take.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

Wolverine's healing factor still seems to vary from writer to writer. Whereas Deadpool's healing factor has been cranked up to where he's basically a Looney Tune.

Healing factors are weird.

When he was depowered in Genosha, it was pretty cool. He bled all over when he popped his claws, and he almost died from adamantium poisoning.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Random Stranger posted:

Probably the last hurrah for classic "He'll get better but this may kill him" Wolverine was the end of the Outback era X-Men where he got beaten almost to death by a bunch of cyborgs, then crucified, and would have died if Jubilee hadn't been hiding around the X-Men. Then he spends months recuperating where his body wasn't able to heal very well.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

That's some excellent information, thanks very much to everyone. Being in the UK I have no real knowledge of the US comic scene and how they sell, it was very informative.

Question. Which writer for the big two has written the most consecutive issues of the same title?

I think they gave Bendis a plaque for breaking a record on Avengers.

Actually, it's just for a long time writing the same comic. Don't know the record.
https://ifanboy.com/articles/marvel-honors-bendis-with-plaque-for-eight-years-of-avengers/

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alaois posted:

the answer is longshot as long as money isn't on the table or if he's doing it to help keep an orphanage stay open

What if he's playing against Domino or the Black Cat?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

Telling people you can see through stuff is just a bad idea in general.

If he were actually Supersmart, he wouldn't ever appear publicly. Just do heroics at Flash-speed where nobody even knows he exists.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sinners Sandwich posted:

He's lived in Hell's Kitchen all his life and was walking around the city when he got blinded.

Also braille maps, which Daredevil has, because Matt Murdock owned the world's largest braille library in his lawyer firm

I'm sure he has fully-fleshed out 3d maps of New York and San Francisco in his big lawyer brain. He's no dummy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's been a long while since I read Mutant Massacre, but didn't Psylocke defeat him at one point in the story?

I can't remember if he jumped her, she beat him up then he later fought Wolverine, or if he fought Wolverine, slinked off and later jumped her.

The one thing I do remember is the fact that 'frail' seemed to be Claremont's go-to insult for a man talking to a woman. Like 'Not so fast, frail!' Was that actually a slang back in the day? I never heard/saw it outside of Claremont's stuff, and always wondered 'What is this guy's deal with everyone calling women that?'

Or was it just a stand-in because words like 'bitch' were a complete no-go?

That was the super-sweet Alan Davis-drawn issue. Psylocke didn't beat Sabertooth, but she survived a lot longer than she should have, and then Wolverine showed up to fight him, and Psylocke read secrets out of Sabertooth's brain while he was busy fighting, so neener-neener.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ecavalli posted:

I wasn’t aware that Aussies did rhyming slang. I thought it was more of a British thing.

Yeah, Australians have done some evil things, but let's not go overboard.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I could swear that Moondragon tried to brain-blast Doctor Strange in one of the comics where Thanos was making all those clones, and Doc won the fight. :smuggo:

Doc also made Mantis look very silly once, so maybe he has special abilities against potential Celestial Madonnae. (I figure Mantis must have been arrogant on a cosmic level for it to make any sense at all, since she's supposed to be a top-notch kung-fuer.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Edge & Christian posted:

Yeah, I'm not really sure what we're counting as crossovers/events, or how we're judging how long; is Secret Wars (which was a twelve issue mini-series with a handful of tie-in issues) 'longer' than Blackest Night (an eight issue series with 50+ tie in issues)?

Does there have to be a core 'event' mini-series? Does it count if it's just multiple [Batman/Superman/Avengers/X-Men books] sharing a story? Does that story need to have a name and "Part 5 of __" in the title?

Secret Wars II was a nine-issue limited series, but it crossed over with just about every other book Marvel published non-stop. It was everywhere, and exhausting.

"Continues in this issue", my rear end. It could be a one-panel reference to something that was somehow connected to SWII. :doom:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-O posted:

Also Deadpool had a "tie in" issue like 10 years later so technically that would make it the longest! Not really of course but it's a funny note.

If time travel counts, the Fantastic Four went back to ancient Egypt in the '60s, and then in the '70s (dates estimated) Doctor Strange also time-traveled back then and turned out to have helped them, and then in the '80s, Hawkeye wound up also going back to ancient Egypt and turned out to have helped Doc. Also, he created Moon Knight's weapons.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Edge & Christian posted:

There were stories in Action Comics #1000 that tied in to stories from Action Comics #1 so really if you think about it, that's the longest crossover if you want to define things creatively.

Oh yeah, there's also that DC One Million stuff -- that might be the biggest time difference.

Although there was that time Doctor Strange went back to the Big Bang...

Or Galactus -- he almost predates the Big Bang, doesn't he?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Snackmar posted:

Can you talk more about this? I'd love to read some of these issues

Found a decent write-up here: https://www.cbr.com/the-great-marvel-comics-time-travel-traffic-jam-of-2940-b-c/

Turns out I was wrong about Doc visiting Egypt in the '70s. I confused the Doctor-Strange-in-ancient-Egypt storyline with the one where he takes Clea to bang Benjamin Franklin for the US's bicentennial. Doc visited in '82.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Yup

The Black (which is associated with Death, and run by the Parliament of Decay).
The Red (which is connected to all animal life and run by the Parliament of Limbs).
The Clear (which is associated with aquatic life and run by the Parliament of Waves).
The White (which is associated with air elementals and run by the Parliament of Vapors).
The Grey (which is connected to all fungal life).
An unnamed fire realm (which is associated with fire elementals and connected to the Parliament of Flames.
The Melt (which is connected to Earth elementals and run by the Parliament of Stones).
The Metal (which is connected to metal and technological elementals and run by The Rithm).
The Divided (which is associated with bacteria, amoebas, and other microscopic forms of life).

And here I had thought the Black was fungal, with the "decay" thing. (I also haven't been keeping up with things for a few years.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

Thanks.

The second question I should ask "What other spectrum of things" like The Green et al are there. If that makes more sense.

Like the different-colored types of Kryptonite?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

People talk about Super Mario Bros. in the same way, though to be fair there are literally magic mushrooms in the game. It was just Miyamoto being creative.

Tom Wolfe wrote "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" without doing any drugs at all. (Although you might think he had from some of the writing.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

And, I've just found out Spider-Man killed his wife with radioactive sperm and Gwen Stacey had sex with Norman Osborn and gave birth to twins who hate Spider-Man. What (in your opinions.) is the stupidest thing that has happened to Spider-Man?

Either that or when his brain was taken over by Doctor Octopus.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

I've been going through the Marvel line and have been interested in getting to the Superior Spider-Man

From what I've seen, some people did some good work in that area, but there were even some good stories during Civil War. :)

bessantj posted:

I never watched that, but now you mention it I think someone has said that before (possibly you. If it is I apologise for forgetting.).

Seinfeld is still pretty good. Worth checking out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

I just watched a video about Chuck Austen's X-Men run and having Angel's blood heal everyone but burn Nightcrawler sounds really weird.

"What if Angel were a literal angel and Nightcrawler were a literal demon" is one of those things that irritates the living poo poo out of me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I gave the date and everything! :(

It was a good post. :sympathy:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Off the Top of my head:
Red Hulk
Leader
Punisher
Deadpool
Dr. Doom (At least 2 times)
Dr. Strange
Constantine
Dr. Fate

Thor's been there a few times, as has Balder.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

lifg posted:

Has Thor been to hell or to hel?

It's all the same thing. Mephisto and Hela and Satannish and all those folks are neighbors.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

the G is for Galactus

He's a Freemason. :tinfoil:

How Wonderful! posted:

Cardiac is both alive and in very good company, hanging out with the incredible Faiza Hussain and the less incredible Manikin.

Is this recent? Is Night Nurse back? Is she dating Doctor Strange again? :swoon:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
There was a "Bionic Woman" comic book for a while in the '70s. Does that count? :haw:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

Eh, maybe I am looking too much into then.

What, if any, are considered the best Kang the Conqueror story/ies?

Cross-Time Council of Kangs (~Avengers #290ff) and Avengers Forever are two excellent ones.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

Does Canada despise ice hokey and maple syrup in the Marvel Universe?

Marvel Canada has a whole bunch of covert government weapons programs, including doing creepy poo poo to humans. Does normal Canada have that kind of thing?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

I've just read a few Amazing Spider-Man issues from #144-#150 and is there a clone of Gwen Stacey just knocking about out there?

Not sure about the issue numbers, but yes. Yes, there is.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

It was in a Wizard 1/2 from 1998 or so. I only remember it because I had a customer hounding that issue for a few years and when we finally acquired a copy for him he had to show us all the "money shot."

Ick.

Speaking of gross stuff involving Gwen Stacy, remember when they revealed that she had kids?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

That makes sense, why go back if whatever future you're in isn't a hellscape, you might accidentally gently caress it up.

But you can take stuff from the future museum and then go back in time and become a superhero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Edge & Christian posted:

Short version is that [either by accident or design] nothing makes particular linear sense in the lead-in to Dark Knights: Death Metal.

This sounds incredibly stupid and also fun as hell.