Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Anybody deal with New England Comics much? I'm thinking about buying their Complete Ben Edlund Tick trade, as they seem to be the only ones selling it for less than an arm and a leg. eBay doesn't have it.

They were the people who published the original Tick issues, so I'd hope they would do a good job. (Let us know if/when you get it -- the Ben Edlund Tick issues were so great, and I'd love to have a fresh copy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qntm posted:

To be fair, that explosion was full of Mutant Growth Hormone or whatever it was Nitro was taking at the time.

So if Nitro takes a bunch of cocaine and blows up, do people in the blast radius get high?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aphrodite posted:

One of those guys posts on the official forums for Marvel Heroes (the Diablo 2-like game) and he's pretty much the worst. I think he did like the 2005-2007 handbooks.

He whined for like 2 weeks when they created an original costume for Squirrel Girl that was a Christmas dress because 'Squirrel Girl doesn't wear skirts' or some dumb reason like that.

Has he got a published reason to think she doesn't wear skirts? Just because she hasn't been seen wearing them doesn't mean she's categorically opposed.

:goonsay:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I call fake Odin, because the eyepatch is on the wrong eye. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

Superman, on the other hand, lets anyone who wants it wear the shield, so long as they stay worthy of it. It's not a mantle to him, it's a family. Clark wants everyone to be Superman:

I think that's basically the Superman thesis statement.

He's no better than Chairface Chippendale. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Per some recommendations I've been reading Journey into Mystery. Can someone clue me in as to why Asgard has crash-landed in Oklahoma?

The previous run of Thor had ended during the Avengers: Disassembled period, and Oeming wrote a pretty interesting Ragnarok storyline that ended Asgard and all the Asgardians. You know, the way Ragnarok does.[1] When it was time for Thor to come back, he was a doctor in Oklahoma, and there was no Asgard, so he decided to put Asgard nearby.

[1] Yes, I know real Ragnarok doesn't kill everybody.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hakkesshu posted:

To add to that, during Siege Loki manipulated Norman Osborn, leader of HAMMER, into attacking Asgard, where he sicked his Dark Avengers on the place. Sentry goes nuts and Thor fights him in a big dumb big DBZ fight which levels the city and crashes it into the ground.

That fight was so frustrating. "Lightning didn't do poo poo. Let's try more lightning. Hey, it worked! :downs:" It's like they ran out of ideas when it came time to finish the fight.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

ASM 688-691. I'd also read ASM 630-633.

Question of my own: How did Vision father children?

Scarlet Witch magicked them into existence, possibly with some assistance from Agatha Harkness. It was in the Vision and the Scarlet Witch mini -- 12 issues long, which they don't do these days, do they?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Random Stranger posted:

Never collected, but when the New Universe imploded after a year, they dumped the book onto this jerk from the sales department who kept begging for the chance to write a book. I think you'd be a bit surprised at what he did with it.

The jerk being Peter David and he essentially Anatomy Lesson-ed Justice to say he was just suffering under a delusion.

The idea was that there weren't any extra-dimensional alien types in the New Universe, because it was intended to be "real world plus White Event" and nothing else. So the retcon was actually bringing the story into line with the original plan. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

lifg posted:

Is White Event a generic term for when stuff like this happens in comic books?

Rising Stars was also a "real world" plus a cosmic event that created superheroes. And I swear I've read another indie comic in the same vein.

I've only heard of it in relation to the New Universe. Did the Rising Stars event have a formal name? (I read the first two trades of Rising Stars (had to quit, because it was getting depressing), but I don't remember the details.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

Whatever may have happened, it is interesting that it was basically a reversal of the situation ten years earlier, when Byrne quit because Claremont was scripting it contrary to his own intentions (e.g. there's one issue where Colossus rips a stump out of the ground; Byrne wanted it to demonstrate how easy it was for him, but Claremont filled out the narration in a way that portrayed it as more of a titanic struggle).

Colossus can lift 75 tons; a tree stump should have been no big deal at all. :spergin:

edit: Or was it 50 tons? It's been a while since I was up to date on this stuff.

prefect fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 7, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Madkal posted:

Actually in Detective Comics #622-624 there is an unauthorized Batman comic which is pretty freaking twisted. Basically a comic writer and artist put their interpretation of Batman into a comic book, within a comicbook.

edit: Also the Watchmen comicbook made an appearance in The Question.

I'm sure "Tales of the Black Freighter" has showed up in some other comic book. Wikipedia doesn't seem to mention any, and I'd expect those obsessive-compulsives to be all over this kind of thing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
If somebody were to describe Alan Moore's work (Watchmen in particular) as "cryptofascist propaganda", what would be the best way to gently dissuade them?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

It would be a little hard to since his spine was adamantium. However, when he did not have it he might have been beheaded and they could place the head back on the neck. I know this has happened to deadpool but it was in Otherworld

I have complained about it before (:spergin:), but I remember one of the Wolverine books back in the '80s having a scene where a big, strong guy tried to pull Wolverine's arms off. He failed because of adamantium bones. Unless there are also adamantium chain links holding the bones together, you should be able to pull them apart. Similarly, his vertebrae might have some adamantium, but they're not interlocking, are they?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Just have the Sentry throw him into the sun. Problem solved.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shawn posted:

Pretty sure he was touching the M'Krn Crystal when he did this. The crystal did it not his healing factor.

Different crystal.

From Uncanny X-Men Annual #11.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Also Hulk was at the strongest he has ever been, so the Hulkbuster might have worked before but in this situation he was hosed.

It would have been even better if Stark had had all his special ammo and still gotten his rear end beat down.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do so many of the early Spider-Man comics characters have cornrows? Off the top of my head, Green Goblin, Harry Osborne, and Sandman have the same weirdo haircut. Did 60s white guys really ever wear their hair that way, or was it just easy to draw? And in the case of Norman and Harry, did Ditko think that haircuts were heritable?

That was certainly a hairstyle used by guys with tightly-curled hair. And haircuts aren't heritable, but the nature of the hair can be.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Edge & Christian posted:

It's just the modern retelling of the story that places them front and center and the source of everything memorable/edgy/popular about comics pre-Code. I actually wrote about this a few years ago. Think of EC Comics as like, the Velvet Underground or Joy Division rather than the Beatles or U2, if that makes any sense as a tortured metaphor.

So you're saying that EC published comics that were actually good instead of being popular. Got it. :thumbsup:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

HitTheTargets posted:

If Civil War taught me anything, Tony Stark is the Hitler of the Avengers.

With the "Superior Iron Man" thing happening, does that mean we're getting Civil War II?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SirDan3k posted:

That is way too detailed for what the show is probably going to shorten into "loved character A, died saving city, has fire powers".

Firestorm has general molecular-related powers, right? It's just the name and the hair that makes everyone think he's fire-based.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Madkal posted:

Here is a brief rundown. The first Firestorm was Ronnie Raymond/Prof. Stein. Raymond was a somewhat dumb jock who want to anti-nuclear power demonstration to impress some girl. There was a meltdown and some magical radioctive things happened and Raymond's body combined with Stein's consciousness to form Firestorm. This was for the best as Raymond wasn't really great at science stuff so he depended on Steins voice inside his head to beat villains with more than just fire-blasts.
Due to flagging sales Ostrander came onto the title and changed Firestorm into a fire elemental that was pretty...trippy I want to say (I haven't read those comics since I was 10 so cut me some slack).
Later on Raymond "dies" and his powers transfer into Jason Rusch (who has also been cast in Flash apparently). Jason was also a high school kid but smarter than Ronnie. Unlike Ronnie who bonded with Stein, Jason could bond his powers with whoever was nearby. The downside of this was that it generally drained the person Jason bonded with. Anyway after a shaky start the Jason Firestorm stuff got pretty good so of course it wasn't longed for this world.
Enter the new 52 which was fairly lovely (though I heard it get better after the initial creative team left the book but I stopped reading it by then) which had Jason and Ronnie be classmates who hate each other (one's the jock, the others the brains, oh no!). The were each a separate Firestorm but when they combined they became Fury.

There was a boy-girl Firestorm before Blackest Night, wasn't there? And then she got killed. :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

If I remember right Timely/Atlas/Marvel signed a deal with National/DC in the fifties to distribute their books because the market was so far in the toilet. The deal ended in I want to say 1968 because of Marvel's popularity.

Remember, at the time proto Marvel was a tiny player in the market. And DC wasn't the media giant they are today. DC limited Marvel to 8 titles a month. That worked just fine for a company that published weird monster books and little else.

DC never published for Marvel as such.

I want to say that the book-number limit was why they had so many split books, like Strange Tales, featuring Nick Fury and Doctor Strange. (A natural pairing.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

Original Sin seemed to think so.

Speaking of series I still haven't gotten around to reading, is there a good source that shows you what trade paperbacks have been published, and what stories/issues they cover? I really need to switch from individual books (which I've fallen so far behind on that I can't find where I should be) to collected trades.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gfanikf posted:

Is it just me or did classic Silver Age Marvel (and possibly DC too) just have substantially more text per issue and hell per panel then even today or was this just a Stan Lee thing?

Comic books were much heavier on the expository dialogue back then; it wasn't just a Stan Lee thing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Old comics were expected to be done-in-one, and often with several stories per issue (since more stories = more value, back then), so there was less room to let the art speak for itself. Comics also came out of the pay-by-the-word pulps as well, and it took a long time for comics to outgrow that particular long-winded writing style even long after the reason for writing in that fashion faded away.

The initial appearance of Galactus is only half-a-book long. Nowadays something like that would take three full months minimum.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's not quite accurate. The Galactus story is an "epic" of the time in that it spanned three issues, though the actual length of the story is more like two issues. In issue #48, they wrap up the Inhumans plot and then start the Galactus plot partway through the issue, which continues through to #50, in which it wraps up about halfway through the issue and then moves on to a Johnny-in-College plot. It says a lot regarding the faith Kirby & Lee had regarding the plot that they thought people would stick around for three whole issues to read it all!

Apologies. I could have sworn that Galactus himself didn't show up until the end, and that the first part of the storyline was just about the Surfer. :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

You'd have to be a god of penciling. Few modern pencilers can maintain a one book a month workload, never mind adding MORE to that.

John Romita Jr. is supposed to be super-fast, isn't he? I think he was doing more than one book a month for a while.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Unmature posted:

I'd like to know the ages of everyone who complains about Bendis's pacing, especially in USM. It always feels like older readers hate it and younger readers love it. The first comic I bought with my own money was USM #8 when I was 11 and I've loved his work ever since. I think USM is brilliantly paced and influenced comics in such a big way for a reason.

This kind of attitude is why we olds will never pass laws that are good for you whippersnappers. :arghfist::corsair:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

It worked out pretty well in Knights of the Old Republic.

And Axis, I guess.

Not so well in Squadron Supreme, though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cornwind Evil posted:

Okay, so I've been poking through Flashpoint. Let me see if I have this straight...

1) Aquaman and Wonder Woman were going to be married and had that happened everything would be maybe-fine, BUT

Why would they get married? Doesn't Aquaman have a wife, and doesn't Wonder Woman have a non-super boyfriend? :corsair:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah that's kind of what I'm looking for.
Where the changes are pretty jarring when you compare the Before and After photos.

Kind of like how, again in DC, Black Hand was originally a criminal who had a book with every possible crime/contingency in it. Then he becomes a Cosmic Necromancer.

The Beyonder was originally a sentient universe who somehow found out about this other universe and decided to investigate. He was eventually depowered to boring old Cosmic Cube levels.

The Scarlet Witch could make a brick wall fall down, but only about once a day before she would get exhausted. Now she can do anything she wants.

When Peter Parker wore his alien-symbiote suit, it never gave him ridiculous jaws and fangs and a prehensile tongue. But now that's just what it does.

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 24, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

At least he has the decency to accept the ultimate blame as the guy who was in charge. I would like to hear more about how he got the co-plotter credit; did they just throw it around over stretches of comics, or was it carefully assigned issue-by-issue?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Didn't Scarlet Witch give birth to Multiple Man's kid, who was then absorbed back into MM as soon as he touched the kid? I'd say that's up there.

In retrospect, that's probably not near "Magic Rape Space Baby" levels.

Think it was Siryn, not Scarlet Witch. Irish, not Eastern European.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

Hey, when Danny Ketch turned out to be the name of that kid in Spirit of Vengence, I had hope!

I actually liked those movies...

Danny Ketch was a paperboy in Marvels, which I still think is pretty cool.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Teenage Fansub posted:

This question may be a bit specific, unless there's someone with 90's comic coloring and printing experience, but I was just reading the Doom Patrol Omnibus and noticed this

with the color dipping into the black, making it darker and maybe glossier (It seems to blend in more when not angled to a light.)
Are those the colorist's strokes? If they are, I like seeing the process in it, but I can't see any other pages with bleed over like that, so I assume it's a mistake that we can see them.
What would've happened?

I believe they do/did that in order to safeguard themselves in case the registration goes slightly off during printing. If you put a red blotch a little bigger than you need, it will still do the right thing shifted a bit to one side. I remember a lot of pictures of Tony Stark's hair with blue patches that made some of the black look different.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm not a close watcher of DC, but I realized earlier (because it was mentioned in another thread) that Wonder Woman can fly. Has she always been able to do that?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

redbackground posted:

I copied this from The Internet!:

I guess I need to improve my Googling skills. Thanks. :blush:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

There's an explanation I read once, and I don't know if it was a writer trying something out that nobody decided to pick up and run with or just fanwank, but I really liked it. Diana's empowered by the gods with strength and speed and so on, but those are really nebulous concepts, and when it comes to gods, belief tends to matter. So you can explain her steady uptick in powers and strength because the public perception of "really strong" and "really fast" and "is a superhero" have shifted over the years; when Diana starts out, people think weightlifters are really strong and a car going 30 mph is pretty fuckin' fast, so she's around there, power-wise. But then superheroes come along, especially Superman, and they start moving the bar upwards. Superman can punch through a tank, and jet planes are fast? Diana's there. Superman can lift tons, and fly, and Flash is fast? Now Diana's there.

I think it's a pretty neat explanation for why her powers seem to be set right at "Superman, but a girl". Superman's what everyone thinks of when they think of a superhero, and it molds her.

That is a pretty good explanation.

I remember reading a review of the DC-based pen-and-paper RPG that said she could throw Mount Everest some number of yards. (They had an exponential statistics system.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

One of my favorite Hulk stories is a really stupid Avengers issue where Hulk is rampaging across a city and the Avengers get really pissed off and beat the poo poo out of him. I guess they were trying for a thing about how anger is destructive and all super-heroes could be as dangerous as Hulk if they were out of control, but it came across more like everyone's sick of big green baby's tantrums and kick his rear end.

Was that when Banner and the Hulk were separated, and things were just going downhill from both of the individual people?