Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had the pleasure and privilege of drinking and hanging out with Shooter for almost 6 hours during the first C2E2 retailer summit. He freely admits to being a huge dick and tell a wonderful stories about creators he's still friends with.
We all attended the Kick-rear end premiere that night and few things will ever be as amusing as watching Shooter laugh his rear end off so hard that he was kicking the seat in front of him. Kicking it so hard and often that group had to move to avoid Shooter's happiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

The Captain America and Thor are the best, since they included the issues that did not even have the characters.

The Fantastic Four one counts the run of FF which kept going so figure that out. Incredible Hulk included the issues of Hulk which also kept running so it's basically Marvel saying gently caress OFF BUY THIS $8 COMIC. to the fans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but that was the only Fantastic Four title. It became a spin off once the original Fantastic Four returned.

Still, they canceled F4, restarted as FF and they brought F4 back alongside. It's cheating!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

^ They were

It would not be the first time. Rememeber all the titles got cancelled and then Heroes Reborn came, and those counted. I was talking about how for Captain America they counted Tales from Suspense starting from issue 1, not when Cap started appearing in it.

What I'm saying is that FF remain it's own thing so those issues shouldn't count as F4. IT BOTHERS ME.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Also what about the years that X-men was just reprints? Should those count?

NO.

CapnAndy posted:

There was a period when FF was the F4 title, so those count, and then it became a spinoff, so those don't! Geez Rhyno why is this so hard for you :rolleyes:

YOU SHUT UP.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hadji murad posted:

What is Valeria's relationship to Dr Doom? Why does she call him Uncle?

He delivered her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That chart is incorrect, Adam X is not the 3rd Summers brother. It's Vulcan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Also some characters that they say are dead, are alive like Cable. Also Vulcan is on the chart.

Missed that, but he's in the wrong spot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought DKen was Vulcan's dad? poo poo, I need to re read some lovely X-Men comics I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

If you mean Ultimate Kaine that was part of USM and more or less ended there. They're teasing an Ultimate Scarlet Spider though so who knows

No, there was another clone that showed up in Ultimates.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The shop I worked at just after high school (1999) still had over 500 copies of each X-Men #1 in stock when I started. They kept about 5 copies of each cover in the active back issues marked at $3 each and they absolutely refused to let me mark them down or make bundled sets. Last I heard they were still sitting on 2000 or so copies. Meanwhile I blow those out at $1 all day long.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

How was his Johns' JSA run? Is that omnibus going to be a good read?

Overall it's pretty good. It suffers from some crap art here and there but for the most part it's enjoyable. The reboot into Justice Society of America is pretty poo poo from the first issue though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

You gotta love family massacres. I a trying to think has Bendis ever done a mass slaughter on a John's scale?

I don't think so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The solicits for the new ongoing make it sound like Norman is coming back again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Are there any collections out there of the pre-JLI Elongated Man stuff? The old backups and his earlier appearances?

I believe there is a Showcase Presents volume.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

The him being Scott and Jean's son wasn't until X-Cutioner's Song though I always thought he was supposed to be mysterious future badass with no real "origin" at the start.

It wasn't confimred until X-Cutioner's song. They'd been dropping hints for a while prior to that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

Even though I haven't read it regularly in years, when Bendis leaves USM I'll be severely bummed. I still catch up every once in a while, but Bendis's USM is one of those things that defined my adolescence. It was the first comic I ever regularly read.

Bendis once talked about leaving it and at the time everyone assumed that Robert Kirkman would take over when he left. They both talked about it in a few interviews from time to time.

Then Kirkman did whatever it was that made him not so popular at Marvel and the chances of that happening evaporated. Thank god.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He said some not so nice things about Joe Quesada once or twice. When we saw him speak at Chicago he was pretty bitter about his time at Marvel getting cut short but incredibly smug about the pile of money Walking Dead makes him. More than anyone at Marvel is making according to him. He and Bendis used to be pretty tight but that friendship looks to be long gone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
JMS has always been known to be a huge oval office, that incident just cemented it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At least once a week I hear "Oh wow, there's walking dead comics now!" Or some variation in the comic shop I work at.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

I thought the big screwy time storm at the end of Age of Ultron was what brought Quill and Thanos back?

They came back before Age of Ultron.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Didio posted:

That's how hosed up time was.

We can laugh at how terrible AoA was but the two events were unrelated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Didio posted:

No they were definitely related, as I was definitely saying.

In that they were both written by Bendis and both were pretty bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm trying to catch up on some Marvel comics, are the .NOW issue still side issues that share the same number as the real thing, or does it work differently than it used to? I'm a little confused.

The now issues ARE the real issues. Previously we'd have Avengers #13.Au or something as well as a #13. Avengers #25.Now is the only #25 released.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

Not sure about this, do you have a source?

Lobdell's run on Uncanny. When CB joined the team he took a punch from Gladiator and shrugged it off pretty quickly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was a costume shop frequented by Erik Masterson during his time as Thor and Thunderstrike, I believe Defalco used it in other books he wrote as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cannonball was revealed to be an Eternal/External way back in early X-Force. It was later proven to be false though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Last time I remember seeing them was in the Civil War issues of Thunderbolts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gambit's had three ongoing books. Cable's had three if you count Soldier X. Bishop had two if you count Division X as a Bishop book. Kitty Pryde has had more minis than any other X-Man except Wolverine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't Corsair dead?

Yup. But this is a Bendis book so good luck on that ever getting explained. Unless Rucka does it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't he die in a Vulcan story? I think everyone who died due to Vulcan should get a free resurrection pass, no explanation needed.

Yeah, he was vaporized. It's why Alex and Lorna (and Rachel but gently caress her) were part of the Starjammers for a while. I think Cho'od died as well. Or maybe it was Rhaza. Korvus is on the ship and he came from that story so they're acknowledging that part at least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Is this Origin of the Hobgoblin trade worth buying for $15? I've never read any of the original Hobgoblin story.

If it's a Spider-man book written by Roger Stern the answer is almost always yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

As far as "canonical" goes, I'm fairly sure it's Angel: After the Fall -> Bufy Season 8 -> Buffy Season 9 and Angel & Faith -> Buffy Season 10 (and I think there's another Angel & Faith series coming out.

To the best of my knowledge, the other comics (i.e. those published during the series' TV run and in the gap between the series and Season 8) aren't necessarily considered "canon", but I don't know what the official policy in that regard is.

I think some of Brian Lynch's Spike comics are canonical, but I haven't read them. I don't know what the official word on IDW's Angel comics post-ATF is, but I understand they're not terribly well-regarded.

Fray is also canon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dan Jurgens used to write in unique uses of Superman's powers that stemmed from his days growing up in Smallville.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Big waste of time, IMO.

I agree but we get quite a few people coming into this and the CHat thread asking about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For what it's worth, Constantine appeared in Green Lantern #81 and in a reference page of Hitman. Otherwise he was Vertigo only until the Brightest Day Aftermath mini.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leperflesh posted:

That is something nobody said yet. If mylar is basically snake oil and no better than polypropylene, then I'm fine using polypropylene. Thank you.

It's baffling, really. Like, is it really that hard to differentiate between someone who wants to treat comic books as a commodity, and someone who is trying to establish a ballpark figure for the value of their collection? "It's worthless" is unhelpful because it's obviously, demonstrably wrong. Declaring a thing cannot be priced until it's sold is also silly - obviously anything before a sale is just an estimate, but estimates are a thing that exists, and all I want is an estimate. I'm not trying to get some rose-tinted view either - I'm ok with accepting that a given comic book is worth whatever it's actually worth, even if that's less than you guys think I'm hoping for or whatever. I'm not even asking BSS to evaluate my collection! I was only asking for pointers to resources I might be unaware of, and I actually got one or two, so thanks for that.

You guys have anticipated answers you think I want even though I've tried hard to make it clear I'm not asking anyone to tell me I'm rich. If you say my copy of Swamp Thing #1 is worth less than a dollar, fine, it's worth less than a dollar, I assume you'd know better than I do. If you say my collection of swamp thing is literally worth zero, I'm going to dismiss your opinion as hyperbolic because that's plainly not the case. And since all I was actually asking for was advice on how to judge condition (nobody had an answer), advice on whether mylar bags are worth it (your answer is no), and a suggestion for what sort of collection-tracking software people like (the answer is apparently ComicBookDB), I don't understand why I'm getting lectured on how I'm not accepting that help or... whatever it is I've said that's annoying.

So, thanks for the help guys, and I'm sorry you think I'm trying to get you to tell me I'm rich because I have some comic books, because I'm not.

\/\/I hadn't thought of that. I'm probably too small potatoes for a large auction house to care, but maybe one of the smaller guys.

I can currently Ebaying my entire singles collection in lots. Some of these lots are, according to price guides, worth a tidy sum. My complete run of Green Lantern Volume 4 (the Geoff Johns series) is worth $475 according to the average of the various pricing sources. The lot sold for $67. Does this help in any way?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, yes it does. I thought there was a good possibility the pricing sources are significantly inflated and this helps to confirm that.

Cool, glad that was useful. Also be aware that some pricing will be off in the other direction because of demand for "hot" books like the New 52 Batman #1 that enraged this thread a week ago. Two goons have already made me offers topping $100 for just the standard cover and it shouldn't be more than a $10 book due to 5 printings, a $1 Essentials reprint and being available in two collected editions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Your local comic shop can might also do appraisals. We do it and charge $25 an hour. $30 if I have to come to you. Your insurance agent should have forms for your collectible items as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

He is the only person who has ever wrote her.

She's appeared in Mighty Avengers at least three times.