Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't have any issues reading on my iPad Air without using guided mode. Even double page spreads are usually easy to read in landscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

I was reading the Invincible Iron Man Reconstructed run and it had Don Blake turning into Thor. What's the deal there, I thought they retconned it so that Thor was just Thor now? Explain to me how Thor works!
To start with, that is not what retcon means. Ignoring that, currently Thor is just Thor, and I think that happened following Fear Itself (someone else can correct me). At the start of JMS's run on Thor, he was back to switching places with Donald Blake for awhile for reasons I don't remember, but I do recall all the Asgardians got stuck in human bodies as a result of Ragnarok during Avengers Disassembled, so it was essentially the return of Thor after awhile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh its suppose to be Tommy Lee Jones

I'm going to start replying to all your posts with pages from The Crossing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

See, why I stopped reading X-Men decades ago (around the time 10 was going on I'd say) is that this is just ONE character's back story out of what? 40? 50? more? You're expected to know to keep up with that group. Heck, even frickin Lockheed now has a crazy history, and he started out as just "wacky pet mini dragon".
This is true of basically any comic from Marvel or DC, though. (And no, you're not expected to know all of that. All you need to know about Magneto is that he used to be a bad guy, now he's not, and his powers are wonky.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The F4 have public identities and are a family, so they usually just use their first names when referring to each other since they have nothing to hide. Sue can still turn invisible, it's just that force fields are a bit more useful in combat situations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They don't actually know other than that they tried and can't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He can feel the ink impressions on paper with his fingers, so he can read regular printed paper that way, and he can also read Braille. He can't see the letters, though, no.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, superhero comics should be completely ridiculous so I don't see an issue with that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, his backstory at creation was "badass who looks badass." Everything else was tacked on later, though a lot of stuff came within the first couple years like him being called Nathan and his associations with various other characters.

Also, whoa, Mignola on early X-Force.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think Bendis wrote Age of Apocalypse, actually.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Cannonball is often phrased as "nearly invulnerable" or "practically invulnerable" when he's "blastin'". Source.

A nuke seems like it would be out of his ballpark, but given he beat up Gladiator once, it really depends on the writer.
He got a lucky punch on Gladiator through creative uses of their respective powers. It was pretty clear he would have otherwise been outclassed.

And I'd guess most of the big cosmic dudes could take a nuke - Gladiator, Silver Surfer, etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

Not quite the same thing, but there was one guy from JMS Spider-Man who fixed superhero costumes. There's one panel where Doom shows up at his shop to get his cape fixed, and at the end he passes Peter the design for a "Spider-Man of the future" outfit which sees use in (I think) the "Happy Birthday" story.

Various issues of Fantastic Four explain that Reed licences unstable molecules to other teams to make costumes and Giant-Size X-Men #1, Professor X says he made the all-new, all-different team's uniforms with them.
In an issue of X-Force immediately following X-Cutioner's Song, the team uses a Shi'ar machine in the basement of the Xavier School to make new costumes. So now they just use space tech, I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Senior Woodchuck posted:

So, where are the Runaways now? I know Nico and Chase are in Avengers Arena/Underground, but what about everyone else?
In hiatus until an event comic where they can be unceremoniously killed for shock value.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If something from that era goes unexplained, just assume Skrulls. Bendis might have had a more specific idea, but it was never followed up on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't Corsair dead?

SKRULLS.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Austen's run on Exiles wasn't horrible, actually. Bedard's run is okay, too. That said, you're not missing a whole lot if you just stop reading when Winick leaves.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Here you go

I just noticed this, but it uses "may be read" in the entire thing suggesting that you can read them in different orders, like reading Annihilation #3 followed by War of Kings #1 then Annihilation: Conquest #5.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Except that it doesn't? Each column is it's own section.

Okay, fine, but if you limit it to each column, it is still saying you could read, say, War of Kings #3-6 followed by War of Kings #1-2 because the word "may" implies an option. It's just a minor personal annoyance and I get what it's trying to say and no one is actually going to do that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The dividing lines are clearly there to show you which groups of books can be read in any order. Come on man, you're one of the better posters here and you're just being silly.
Please don't troll.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't care at all about ROM.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

greatn posted:

Does Cable have cable? If he had satellite that's just straight up bullshit.
He lived in a satellite.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Has Wolverine died in the big event yet? I'm behind six months. If so, how?

Two more months.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

One theater here is like the one Soonmot described, also after a remodel, but I don't think they have alcohol. More important they are not showing GotG, so I'm going to a regular theater that doesn't seem to have a midnight showing, but has 10 PM one on Thursday, but since buses end at midnightish on weekdays, I will have to drive which is disappointing. (I guess I could walk, but it's a bit of a hike and entirely uphill.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

(for a movie ticket that already costs you $12.95)
That's it?

EDIT: I guess that's what an evening non-3D movie costs here, but start adding 3D and IMAX and you get an $18 ticket I paid for GotG. I'm hooked on a feeling that this movie better be awesome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure God has shown up here or there! :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uh, that wasn't in THE BIBLE, canon of all canon, so no, I don't think so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

The preacher rear end in a top hat version did.

Preacher: Written by Garth Ennis
The Bible: Written by God

I think I will take God's version of events THANK YOU.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks - one more thing, does that include the content in my first link?
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-1-Legacy/digital-comic/28071
This is GotG #1-6. Your first link is GotG #1-25.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here is the background you need:

It is a Marvel Studios movie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Welcome to BSS, where we are apparently trying to talk people out of reading comics now.
No one is trying to talk him out of reading comics, just saying that you don't NEED to read any to understand a movie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, that is not an actual thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

I always put in gently caress because it always fits.

What's the worst swear that you are allowed to say in a mainstream Big Two book?
"Mutie"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone going to Baltimore Comic-Con this weekend or Small Press Expo the following? I'm thinking Saturday for BCC and Sunday for SPX, though the latter depends on another thing happening on Saturday, which is looking less likely.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Contact Marvel, I guess? Or maybe take it back to the store and see if they'll swap it out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There was also Strange. Carnage is arguably 90s Venom, but he's managed to stick around.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sunglasses Superman best Superman

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

House of M was intended as a New Avengers/Astonishing X-Men crossover that said, there's really not anything you *have* to read beforehand, though both of those series are pretty good leading into the mini.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

Colossus can lift 75 tons; a tree stump should have been no big deal at all. :spergin:

edit: Or was it 50 tons? It's been a while since I was up to date on this stuff.

If it was Claremont/Byrne era, that wouldn't have been established beyond Colossus being able to punch a tractor and maybe throw Wolverine around.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

Just reread Infinity Gauntlet and I don't remember: where/when does Adam Warlock lose the Gems? I thought it was at the end of this series, but I guess not.
It happens in Warlock and the Infinity Watch pretty much immediately after. He doesn't lose them so much as the Living Tribunal decides that they will no longer work together, so he gives them away to his best buddies and also Thanos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is there a reason we're spoiler tagging character names that have been around for decades?