Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Waterhaul posted:

Ah yeah I got a couple of things mixed up. It was Madelyne that was going to go off and live a normal life with Scott.
No, you had it right. The mind-wipe was going to take away all her powers, and Scott and Jean would go off into the sunset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

HitTheTargets posted:

I assume you mean the confirmed bachelor *wink* Rawhide Kid. How controversial was that at the time? Because comparing it to something like Gillen's Young Avengers it's about as salacious as a single piece of dry, white toast.
My memory may decieve me, and I didn't pay very close attention, but as I recall the reaction was "that's not funny" and then nobody bought it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ghostpilot posted:

The one that actually made me angry was what they did with Northstar coming out, even as the closeted teenager I was at the time. The mere thought of it now still makes me angry. I could honestly go on a rant about that and I wasn't even much of a Northstar fan: he'd always been a boring ancillary character (which is exactly why he had been chosen for that).
Here, I'll handle it for you in nine words: They made him a literal fairy. What the gently caress.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I don't know what any of you are talking about, there isn't even an image there

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I really don't see anything there, y'all just weird and crazy and should stop seeing made-up things.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

No, I just like to pretend that story was never printed. It's easier :(

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Was Taters posted:

I loving hate to even ask, but is she saying no...? I mean she is saying no, right?
Totally willing!

Hahahaha I mean, what are you talking about, that was never written, this is why I pretend

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

What I'm saying is that FF remain it's own thing so those issues shouldn't count as F4. IT BOTHERS ME.
There was a period when FF was the F4 title, so those count, and then it became a spinoff, so those don't! Geez Rhyno why is this so hard for you :rolleyes:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Wait, Hope's mom is also named Hope Summers?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

redbackground posted:

She was named after her!
I thought Hope's real name is Spaulding and only changed it when Cable adopted her?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Ah, yes, the Calvinball method.

But what's the other option? )Pointlessly?) Rebooting the entire production line every couple of years? And even then, the explanation is usually an unsatisfying "That thing in the past didn't happen, unless of course it did happen, in which case, you bet it happened... At least until next time."
Ah, yes, the Nu52 method.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

I ought to have mentioned, I asked because I was checking out the omnibus on Amazon and the product description claims it was number-one when Johns was writing it, and that didn't strike me as being particularly likely.
Well, like Edge said, it's the best-selling JSA run in 25 years. Maybe that's what they meant.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hope Corgi is not a real thing. It should be a real thing.

(pulled this off tumblr)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Invincible is frequently pretty good, but the problem is that every so often Kirkman gets bored with good writing and decides to just coat every page in entrails and eyeballs and any other viscera he can think of and kill off a bunch of good characters.

Y'know, like Walking Dead, if Walking Dead was still at all good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

There are no real clear dividing lines for any age except Golden/Silver, because it's a gradual process as the era-changing books get published, and slowly the ideas percolate out. The best anyone can do is point to some convenient milestones that, in retrospect, defined the new age, and say "there".

I personally use The Death of Gwen Stacy for starting Bronze, Watchmen for starting Dark, and Ultimate Spider-Man for starting Modern.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Shitshow posted:

Genuinely curious to know what age we're in now and what elements/creators/events people think characterize it as such?
Modern Age, defined by widescreen action, writing for the trade, and more mature subject matter (which still frequently goes stupid, but there's been progress at least). Defining writers are Morrison, Johns, Bendis, Hickman, and Millar. I can't really think of any defining artists except Hitch.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

We're kinda due for a paradigm shift, by the way. The New 52 might end up being a shift point, for the day-and-date digital if nothing else.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Would this age be defined by its own self-awareness? I feel like comics nowadays recognize the silliness in their own premise and, rather than fighting so hard against it like back in the "Dark Ages" of the 90s, they embrace it. I'm also seeing a lot of slice-of-life, naturalistic kind of comics, like Hawkeye and Superior Foes of Spider-Man where there's as much just hangin' out and examining the personal lives of these larger-than-life characters as there is action.
That might be another thing to keep an eye on. Like I said, I think we're about due for a shift.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I actually really like Diamond Age for Ultimate Spider-Man to New 52, that is clever goddamn wordplay for an age defined by being dominated by writing for the trade and displaced by what will probably end up being the Digital Age.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mid-80s to late-90s is pretty widely known as the Dark Age now, because of the grim-and-gritty it introduced and all the people learning the wrong lessons from it.

And like I said earlier, I quite like Diamond Age for late-90s to early-10s, it's fitting and clever.

zoux posted:

What does decompression mean in a comic book context?
Writing for the trade; issues coming out clearly marked Part X of Y, taking 6 or more issues to tell a single story, both with good effect (stories get more room to breathe, can spend time on important poo poo) and bad (entire issues will consist of nothing more than two talking heads and no action, which will read fine when it's the middle pages of a trade paperback but just wasted your time and money when you bought it as a floppy).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

I also don't really see the point in including non-superhero titles into this 'age' discussion, since previous ages certainly didn't take into account what Carl Barks or Crockett Johnson or R Crumb or Charles Schulz or Los Bros Hernandez or Peter Bagge or Chris Ware or whomever were doing, so why would we take Vertigo into account any more than we'd accept Bone or Concrete or Duplex Planet as an argument against the early 1990s being characterized as obsessed with grim/gritty/variant/speculations?
Because there's overlap in a way that there really wasn't before Marvel got desperate enough to hire that indie guy from Jinx to write Spider-Man. Carl Barks was not on Superman, Charles Schulz never wrote X-Men comics; yet these days the guy who writes Iron Man and Hawkeye also does Sex Criminals and the same guy is working on the Avengers and something called God Is Dead at the same time.

It all ties back into the digital thing, the lowering of walls. There's less barriers to entry, there's less gatekeepers telling you what you can't make, and the lines between this genre and that, between indie and the big two, have all gotten very blurry.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

All the explanation we've gotten so far, courtesy of All-New X-Men 23.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

Hobopiss?
Rick Remender wrote a very bad speech in Uncanny Avengers #5, got justly reamed out for it, and told his critics to go drown in hobo piss.

A while later in All-New X-Men, Bendis wrote a speech for Kitty where she calls Havok a complete rear end in a top hat and tears that speech to shreds.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

Has Superman ever had any formal training as a fighter, or has he always been a "hit them very hard" kind of guy?
He's been trained by Batman, but doesn't show it very often because "hit them very hard" tends to work for him. He busted it out against Zod's troops in New Krypton.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Really though, if they didn't, how often would "how come Batman/Wildcat/Captain America/Wolverine/wheover is just sitting around and nobody takes advantage of the opportunity to be trained by them" come up?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

eBay has three issues for me. First, what something is listed at/buy it now is not necessarily what it sells for, so you really have to just watch auctions and see what the final sale price was, assuming it sold at all.
Filter your search by "Sold Auctions".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I was hoping for a straightforward way I could judge what people will pay for my comics. I am guessing based on responses so far that that's not really a thing, so OK, I can live with that. I was hoping someone could tell me what the difference is between "cast polypropylene" and regular, and if it's worth using mylar, but the response seems to be "preserving your comics is dumb just read them" which is unhelpful so I'll just assume the folks reading this thread don't actually know the answer and I'll try to find out somewhere else.
It's not unhelpful, you just really don't want to hear what everyone's telling you.

Except in extreme edge cases, your collection should be assumed to be worthless until and unless you decide you want to sell it off, at which point it's worth whatever you can get for it on eBay. Your worries about what sort of bags and boards to use are the comic book equivalent of wondering if you should buy Monster Cables. Being this worried about preserving your comics is dumb. Either read them or sell them.

This whole comics-as-a-commodity thing was tried in the 90s. It was a spectacular failure. It won't work for you either. Sorry about that.

If you have specific comic books you think really are valuable and you want to ask us about them, that's one thing, but for your collection as a whole, you've gotten the right answers. Not the answers you wanted, but... again, sorry about that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

zoux posted:

Is it literally a spite thing?
There's incompetence in the mix too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Earth 2 Green Lantern, N52 Batwoman, Pre-Flashpoint Obsidian.
Renee Montoya too, but I think she's one of the many people murdered by Barry Allen.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Renee Montoya too, but I think she's one of the many people murdered by Barry Allen.
:mad:!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Vincent posted:

Earth 54 is the disco earth :haw:
Earth 212 was the Everything Is New York Earth, there were some very clever ones.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

1986-1994: THERE IS ONLY ONE UNIVERSE, NO MULTIVERSE, NO ELSEWORLDS THERE IS ONE OFFICIAL DC UNIVERSE AND YOU BETTER NOT EVEN MENTION ALTERNATE UNIVERSES I SWEAR TO GOD DID I JUST HEAR SOMEONE MENTION SUPERBOY IN THE LEGION I'M GOING TO PULL THIS COMPANY OVER. (DC did not do a very good organizational job of figuring out "what counts" and what doesn't in the DCU, and 'rebooted' half of the line while not rebooting the rest so you have a situation where decades of Batman and JLA stories "still happened" Post-Crisis even though Superman was never a member of the JLA and he's just meeting Batman for the first time in 1986 and also Wonder Woman has never appeared prior to last week.
DC Comics: Not Learning From Our Mistakes Since 1986

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Didn't even have Kryptonian powers. She was telekinetic and used that to mimic a lot of Kryptonian abilities.
This was also Connor Kent's deal until his DNA got un-hosed so he could actually start maturing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Kon started to pick up Kryptonian powers after that Young Justice event where all the kids were turned adult and vice versa, if I remember correctly. He couldn't age because his DNA was hosed up, but once it was fixed he started getting powers that weren't just applications of TK.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I think it's fantastic, although it's a little bit sad that DC's response to Morrison's passionate "comics should be fun, this grim and gritty dark-so-dark bullshit is a literal vampire that is literally bleeding the industry dry and will kill it" screed was "what's that you say? We should make everything darker and get rid of all the fun poo poo? Okay then"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

prefect posted:

It still seems weird to me that having a fifth of some massive cosmic force powering you actually made people stupider.
It worked for me. They're hosts to a massive cosmic force that wants to burn away the things that don't work and create new life in its place, but they are massively unsuitable hosts to the force. Doing dopey, sorta creepy poo poo like "um... whales might like... crab legs? not sure" is a good way to show that instead of just telling it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'd argue that the scene is more effective because she's dressed as a goth, but any outsider subculture would do. The point isn't "haha goths kill themselves amirite", it's "Superman loves you and wants to help, even if you're an outsider".

I really didn't think that needed explaining.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Uthor posted:

In story their entire history was rewritten to them never having been married. If anyone knows, they'd have to be aware of outside the 616 universe. Maybe Deadpool?
Deadpool has mocked him for it at least once, so yeah, Deadpool.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

She freaks about her impending 21st birthday near the end of Young Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Unmature posted:

Is that the Young Avengers lead by Kid Loki? Is that good?
Yes and yes.