Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

redbackground posted:

Surprisingly close!

I love this forever and ever :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I've been out of the game for a minute and was wondering if Neil Gaiman was working on finishing Miracle Man, and if the entire thing is ever going to get collected in an omnibus or two?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Happy Hippo posted:

I've been out of the game for a minute and was wondering if Neil Gaiman was working on finishing Miracle Man, and if the entire thing is ever going to get collected in an omnibus or two?

Skwirl posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay.

Anybody have anything for me here? Miracle Man? Gaiman?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Jesus, I remember when those singles started coming out I was so excited that I'd eventually be getting OSHCs and eventually an omnibus of the completed run. What the gently caress, Marvel?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I'm getting that X-Men Children of the Atom box set and it collects up to issue 143, then the Uncanny X-men omnibus vol 3 starts at issue 154. Where are issues 144-153 collected? It ain't Uncanny X-men omnibus vol 2 because that one only goes up to 141. Is that part of some other storyline that got collected elsewhere?

VVVV thanks, dumb mistake on my part VVVV

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 27, 2020

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Where is the best place to find out when the omnibus reprints for the year will be released? I'm wondering about all of those X-Men omnis that just got announced.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Venom seems like wasted potential to me. Admittedly, I haven't read a ton of Venom but it seems like writers forgot that the symbiote can mimic regular clothing. That scene in ASM 300 with him in priest's robes in the belltower is iconic to me. He became less interesting to me the moment that an artist decided that the symbiote adds mass to its host (and he was given that dumb long tongue). He was originally jacked because Eddie Brock got swole in prison. I remember distinctly reading that issue as a kid and my imagination went nuts with the possibilities that this new villain presented. Now he's just a generic strong guy in Spider-Man's old costume.

Then Carnage showed up and he was just a poo poo knockoff EXTREME character and then oh jesus now there's like five more of them all with super edgy names and they all have Spider-Man eyes for no reason I can discern and there's a symbiote-god now and while we're at it let's remove all the mystery about the symbiote race and god drat it comics

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I'm trying to collect all of the X-Men's major and/or notable appearances. I got the Children of the Atom box set so I have almost everything from the 60s and 70s but I was wondering if I missed anything obvious. I'm getting the Champions hardcover which covers what Angel and Iceman were up to during their extended absence from the X-Men book but was wondering if I'm missing anything else..?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read any of the stories, so I can't help you out with issue numbers, but Beast spent a good chunk of time on The Avengers.

Ah yeah, that's true. He was in the Defenders for a while after that too, if I recall correctly. That may be too much to include in my little project

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

He also had a very short lived solo run in Amazing Adventures in 1971/2 from #11 through issue 16. Mostly notable because he turned into animal-like Beast for the first time.

That's collected in the Children of the Atom box set, which I have

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Real life Wakanda is nothing like the 616 version

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

In an issue of ASM during the early McFarlane years he interrupts some douchebag who's hitting on MJ and the guy lets loose on Peter with karate and Peter just stands there ignoring him and has a conversation with MJ.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Skwirl posted:

A lot of things about Spider-Man are constantly in flux. He's supposed to be almost as strong as the Thing, yet struggles in fights with a lot of people who are just normal humans that work out a bunch. Sometimes his Spiders-sense is basically omniscient and other times he walks into a door.

Nah, man. Last I checked (admittedly, it's been a minute) Spidey can lift around 10 tons on a good day and Ben can lift around like 80 tons

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Cubone posted:

Spidey's a Super Medium-Weight, according to himself

According to OHOTMU Spidey can bench 10 tons and Ben can bench about 85 tons.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Is Daken's secondary mutation still rape?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

It's real and appears to be done by the guy who did Tiny Titans and the cartoony A v X one shot during Secret Wars, Art Baltazar
https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/arkhamaniacs

Those lil homicidal maniacs are the cutest

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

He flat out takes "full responsibility" and says "sorry" twice. That's all the apology I've ever needed from anyone.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Mentioning how queer-friendly X Factor was reminded me of Liefeld's response to Shatterstar getting together with Rictor

It uh, was not favorable

To be fair, he said his issue with it was that he always intended Shatterstar to be asexual but where he established that is a question for someone who has read more comics featuring the character than X-Force vol 1 #1

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I mean, to we Americans Squirrel Girl rhymes but that's really only because of our accents. If the English really lay into that "e" in Squirrel we can't blame them. It's English. They're English. That's just how those words are supposed to sound and it's our accents that make us think that squirrel and girl rhyme when they really shouldn't. Like at the end of that Outkast song "Elevators" when Andre 3000 rhymes "Virginia" with "continue." Those words only rhyme if you have Andre's particular accent.

Anyway, I picked up a couple of Squirrel Girl hardcovers at Ollie's the other day for super cheap, but haven't read them yet. One's an OSHC and the other is SG Beats Up The Marvel Universe. Is this stuff any good?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They're great, although the art style is a bit divisive.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I browsed the OSHC and I liked the art

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

site posted:

i'm not sure what that hardcover has in it, but just a head's up USG beats up the marvel u takes places roughly between issues 11 and 12

I think it has around 12 or so issues plus maybe a one shot..? I'd check but most of my books are in totes in preparation for a move. I think maybe it's The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl OSHC vol 1? Thanks for the heads up!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I just finished The Twelve after finding it on the cheap at my local Ollie's. Maybe I set my expectations low but I actually enjoyed it, despite the extremely obvious Watchmen-worship.

Have any of those characters been used since the miniseries?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Jae Lee has like two poses he puts characters in for covers

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

What's the state of Hickman's SHIELD? Did that ever get finished and collected?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I feel sort of uncomfortable looking at her in that I mean she's the Marvel Universe's mom basically

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I mean, it's unbreakable. How much would you really need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Like many male artists, he has/had no idea how relationships work