Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toxxupation posted:

Here's my question, since another thread brought it up: What was the first issue that did the recap page and is there some sort of interview or oral history of who at Marvel came up with the idea and for what reason? Because it's such an obvious idea it's kind of difficult to believe they haven't always been around, even though they're, what, an invention only implemented this century as far as I can tell?

Also, totally unrelated question: If we consider themes of comics decades like the 60s being the True Silver Age and the rise of Marvel, the 70s being the death of The Silver Age (along with Gwen Stacy) and the rushing in of politically/socially conscious comics on the back of the Bronze Age, the 80s being the invention of the event crossover and the line-wide reboot with Secret Wars and Crisis respectively while also inventing the "truly dark" commentary comic like TDKR, Killing Joke, Watchmen, and Death in the Family, and the 90s being...well, the loving 90s with creator-owned comics, artist-driven comics, the collector market, events that CHANGED EVERYTHING like Death of Superman, Electric Blue Era, Knightfall, Clone Saga, and the near-collapse of the industry, what do you think the 00s "themes" are? The 2010s?

Personally, I think of the 00s as the Widescreen or Cinematic Age. The Authority came out in 1998 or 1999, and the Ultimates in 2002, and everything followed suit for a while. Morrison's New X-Men went back to black leather to look more like the movies, storytelling decompressed even more to accomodate longer stretches of silence and facial expressions, and generally everyone tried to make things cinematic.

I think we're still in that age, I'm not sure if anything has changed much in the 10s. If anything we're in the early years of an eventual Digital or Inclusive Age, where traditionally uncatered-to groups have a larger voice, companies give more of a poo poo about digital and trade sales, and there's more attention paid to women, minorities, and LGBTQ people, both in creators and characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Squizzle posted:

I truly hate the "ages" talk for comics. If you have to chunk out eras, the only four meaningful blocks worth covering imo are pre-Wertham newsstand, the CCA newsstand period, the rise of specialty shops, and the now-ongoing digital migration.

Sure, if you are talking about the shape of the industry and not the shape of the medium, or the art form if you want to get pretentious about it.

The sorts of stories told and the styles of art used to tell them are drastically different in each of those Ages, even if the exact borders between them can sometimes be fuzzy. That's a much different question from how people bought and consumed those stories.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
You're not wrong about other genres doing stuff earlier. The ages people talk about are specifically superhero comics for the most part.

It's not like there weren't comics before 1938. There just weren't superhero comics, or at least not popular ones.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ghostlight posted:

I agree in principle, but the CCA had significant and wide ranging consequences on the medium that are just incomparable to ESRB, to the degree that I think that it absolutely qualifies as an eon straddling the traditional silver, bronze and modern ages.

My main problem with the traditional definition of the Modern Age is that it starts in 1986 and goes to "Present", even though there's definitly another sea change in there somewhere. Comics from 1988 do not resemble comics today.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

CzarChasm posted:

Also it looks like they have issues the day they come out or at least the week they come out? Marvel still has about a week delay, right?

Nope, everything is day and date these days.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I think when a character has a run as monumentally beloved as Fraction's Hawkeye, you have to let that character lay fallow for a while before they can have another solo book that won't instantly be dismissed as "Not as good as the last one". Let Clint run around in New Avengers for a few years and let Kate have a solo title.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Rhyno posted:

Except they jumped into Lemire's Hawkeye run before the final issue of Fraction's even shipped.

Yeah, I know, and I think that was a mistake.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ultragonk posted:

Was Hal the first GL?

The first in our current understanding of them, yeah. Alan Scott had a lantern he found but the Corps wasn't a thing and he wasn't involved in any of that mythology.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Guy was cool when he was a Red Lantern (the second time) and was basically a space biker gang. Also he had a different haircut. Ginger Moe The Mean Green Lantern is a dumb idea in any era.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

site posted:

Tangent to current topic: I've heard many times in different places about the importance of crisis on infinite earths to DC and I just get more and more curious about it. As someone with extremely limited experience with the actual universe would it be something I could read and still be able to follow since i know of the justice league and its members, but don't have any knowledge of their history, other than basic outlines? Secondly, if I can read it, is it a self contained series or is it spread out through various books that I would need to look for?

It's a self-contained series, 12 issues long. However, the actual story within those issues is kinda bad, and extremely confusing if you aren't familiar with everything about DC's continuity at the time. Which itself is hard to really understand, seeing as how the whole point of Crisis in the first place was "poo poo our poo poo is so confusing we need to streamline poo poo".

It's sort of an important thing to understand the relevance of and what it did for the cosmology, but you'd get just as much insight into that by having someone explain it to you (or listening to the first episode of Journey Into Misery) as you would actually reading it, if not more so.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't think you need to know anything about the characters. The thing is just seeing the spectacle of an entire generation of heroes and villains fighting something.

I think it's a great thing to experience as a historical artifact or 80's DC primer.

That's true, if you go into it expecting crazy double page spreads of hundreds of people fighting a giant head and then the universe is saved, that's what you'll get.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
DC also had several other comic's companies worth of characters, each operating on their own universe, which they wanted to fold into their main books. Shazam and Blue Beetle and people like that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The thing about Hal is that he WAS an interesting character. Through his fall to Parallax and death, that was a big good arc. Then people got mad becuase YOU KILLED HAL and they had to walk it back with Zero Hour and then make him the Spectre and then that wasn't good enough either so they had to just throw all that out and make him GL again.

They took a guy whose big defining character story was his fall to evil, and then slowly walked that back in fits and starts over the next decade until none of it mattered and all that was left was "Guy who is GL I guess". And then several times they've given him watered down "but now he's the REBEL green lantern" stories, which he does less well than Guy Gardner. There's only so many times you can look at Hal in a trenchcoat wearing multiple rings (or a gauntlet or whatever "like a ring but more so" thing it is this time) before you realize they are trying to relive what made him cool without making it actually a status quo change.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Scaramouche posted:

I thought kyle was well used in the recent omega men series, but is he even a green lantern char any more? (Serious question, I stopped reading during the darkest night bullshit)

Yeah, he had a whole N52 series where he gained the power of every color and became the White Lantern. So he was off doing his own thing but interacted regularly with all the various Corps. The end of Omega Men was ambiguous about what he would be doing after that but the writers of the upcoming GL Corps book said he would be involved in it at some point in some way, but wouldn't reveal more than that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Mignola is great but that cover is bad.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

site posted:

It's kinda weird to think about just how low book sales are. 20k domestic is good out of a population of 320 million. dang :(

And yet last month the comics industry had its single most lucrative month in 20 years. It's just that there's SO MANY comics that the number of people reading any one title is going to be kind of low.

And of course that 20k is not counting digital or trades. It's also not "good", its just kinda the point where your head is above water and you're out of the cancellation danger zone.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Silver Age Hal is fine. It's everything after he comes back from the dead that was dumb and forced and boring.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question about identifying characters.

In this Alex Ross picture of the Injustice Gang from Justice:

Who are:

a) The guy between Black Adam and Scarecrow?

b) The guy between the Parasite (if, indeed, that is Parasite) and Grodd?

c) The guy between Grundy and Poison Ivy?

A) If you mean the guy above, I think it's Clayface. The guy below and between them is Braniac.

B) Toyman

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, the one behind them who looks like he's growing out of Giganta's face.

That doesn't look like any Toyman I'm familiar with, though. Was that a redesign for Justice?

No, it's not Winslow Schott, it's a different guy, the one who they adpated for the Super Friends cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

prefect posted:

Black Manta's head/helmet is never not disturbing.

It was sad when Hey Arnold turned heel.