Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Duke of Flies posted:

I hope this is a cool place to ask about tracking down a comic whose title I can't recall. :ohdear:

Basically, it was a one-shot graphic novel about a guy (a writer?) who somehow travels back to his childhood make-believe world and some manner of war has broken out there. All these goofy animal people are in rebellion of some evil tyrant that's appeared and is trying to take over the guy's personal, imaginary Narnia with a lot of violence and bloodshed. In the end, it turns out the tyrant was actually an evil twin of his? A twin he absorbed in utero? It all was kind of demented and the book belonged to my boss at the time, so I read it once and have since lost any memory of what the title or author was and no amount of googling turns out anything. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Pretty sure this is 'Kingdom of the Wicked', my old comic store owner was nuts for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_the_Wicked

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rhyno posted:

For what it's worth, Constantine appeared in Green Lantern #81 and in a reference page of Hitman. Otherwise he was Vertigo only until the Brightest Day Aftermath mini.

There was a Paul Dini Zatanna one shot he had a major part in in about 2007/8, maybe?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

muscles like this? posted:

She's not bad in the new Mighty Avengers but she's also not a major character.

She'll probably get another shot when the Netflix show rolls around. Why isn't she detectiving poo poo up in 'Original Sin?'

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rhyno posted:

Ennis wrote the last year or so of the Demon and then used him a bit in Hitman. When he shows up in WW he's back to his old semi heroic ways and not the monster Ennis turned him into.

I totally forgot about Hitman. That was a fun book. Do those characters still exist?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

thetoughestbean posted:

So, I’ve been reading seminal shojo manga Rose of Versailles and one thing that struck me was how it switches from a more serious style you’d associate with manga to a more cartoony style and then back at a drop of a hat

Here’s a picture I took of that happening (apologies for the low quality, I only have the physical edition)

This switching up of style, either to help sell a joke or to underline a dramatic scene, is still decently common in Japanese and Korean comics.

What struck me is that I can’t think of a single example of something like that happening in the western, particularly American, comics that I’ve read. Are there any mainstream western comics that change the style of drawing mid-comic?

I'm pretty sure Scott Pilgrim vs The World did it a few times, but more subtly, and that was heavily indebted to Manga. I'm pretty sure I've seen this kind of thing in books like The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl too, but I'd need to dig for it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I remember there was going to be a New Warriors book that had characters with names like Safespace and Screen time that was panned to poo poo right across the political spectrum. Did that ever actually come out? I seem to recall it was due to launch about March 2020, so it could have easily been memory-holed by the Pandemic.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm not sure how prevalent MAD was in the UK in the early 90s though - I certainly don't recall ever seeing it, but I do recall seeing kids draw in that (or a similar) style who likely had never read MAD.

If anything, it brings to mind Amiga box-art which would also be locale and era appropriate, but I can't quite place it specifically.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I see similar elements in characters like Ready Eddie, the (horrifying to me as a kid) Ready Brek mascot:

https://admascots.fandom.com/wiki/Ready_Eddie

Also, the Nodles Doodles tinned spaghetti mascot was similar.

Morph, I guess, has some similar elements.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

CzarChasm posted:

It reminded me very vaguely of Bone, with the big noses and generally stark white skin. I know that's not it, but it's where I went to first.

This has been bothering me a lot as its right in my generational and geographical sweet spot, but I can't help but wonder if that style is just really easy, and it's an amalgamation of various influences. I wonder if some Spliffy/Eclipse/Dready clothing is making in in there?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Lucifunk posted:

I'm having a complete brain fart, and I'm having trouble remembering the title and author. It's a legendary writer, and it's set in a city full of superheroes, and it's usually single issue stories.

It has one of the best comics I've ever read where a universe reset happens and a wife and husband wake up married to different people but still feel this longing, like something has been taken from them.

That Astro City issue about the regular people in a universe reset is gold.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Ennis can do a kind of tough-guy sentimentality at times which can work for me and be oddly sincere and works for war comics in particular, but holy poo poo, he does not understand superheroes and somehow that's everyone else's fault.

Preacher was great when I was a kid, but has aged like milk.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This could be faulty memory or me just having bad taste at the time, but I seem to recall his short arc in Spider-Man's Tangled Web being not too bad and showing that he could get the character if he wanted to, and I'm not beyond finding his take on Wolverine in The Punisher really loving funny in a Looney Tunes way.

I don't know, I get cape fatigue sometimes too, but I really resent that shortly after I got into American superhero comics as a teen, the trendy thing to do was to write about how you're too cool for the subject matter.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Has it ever been discussed if Batman comes out earlier and stays out later in Winter or how he adjusts to less darkness in Summer? Like, if you get mugged at 9.30pm on a balmy July night is it just "gently caress you, then"?

Edit: I know this sounds kind of flip, but I wonder if it's ever been a plot element.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gaz-L posted:

Robin can handle those because of summer vacation from school. :v:

The idea of Batman just scooting about in August while people are drinking in beer gardens or on their roofs blasting some De La Soul and NOFX with a case of Coronas is just really funny to me somehow.