Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

Did Donald Blake ever add anything to Thor?

I'm pretty sure he was just there because superheroes in the 60s had a secret identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't Thor actually supposed to come back during Civil War, since they had that whole thing with Mjolner in Fantastic Four which ended up not being resolved for forever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The miniseries Secret War is basically a prequel to Secret Warriors and has Fury leaving SHIELD.

Basically it was because he found out that Latveria was secretly funding a bunch of super criminals and went on an illegal mission to stop it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Dead, and replaced with Nick Fury Jr., who matches the film universe.

Is he dead? He retires at the end of Secret Warriors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

The F4 have public identities and are a family, so they usually just use their first names when referring to each other since they have nothing to hide. Sue can still turn invisible, it's just that force fields are a bit more useful in combat situations.

I think Ben is the only one who still mostly refers to himself by superhero name.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The speculator boom was a fascinating phenomenon just because of how many people misunderstood or were mislead about why exactly certain comic books were worth money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

Grrrrrrrr OK so I will try Wonder Woman then. I have never read it before - is this a decent starting place? I am a low budget, casual comics reader so I won't be buying complete collections or anything.

New 52 Wonder Woman is a good starting point for someone who hasn't read WW before. The only thing you need to know beforehand is that Wonder Woman is connected to the Greek Gods and that's about it. Its also pretty much a stand alone book in terms of greater DC continuity so you don't have to worry about reading a bunch of other books at the same time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

One day someone needs to examine how all these little magic powers they give Daredevil would make his every day life a living hell.

They kind of dealt with that in the movie where he had to sleep in a sensory deprivation chamber.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

Daredevil should spend most of his time passed out from the unbelievable amount of pain he should be in if his skin is sensitive enough to read newspaper print.

They've already done that with Guy (Mr Sensitive/The Orphan) from X-Statix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure what exactly would be censored, I have the full sized hardcovers and there isn't anything that objectionable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first two volumes are mostly traditional comic books, it isn't until after that Gaiman starts getting experimental.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something Else posted:

Is there a character responsible for making superhero costumes? I know a lot of characters make their own or whatever, but I'm picturing something like a "cosmic tailor" and I'm wondering if such a character already exists.

There was a guy in Invincible who made pretty much every hero costume.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also doesn't Red Hulk keep his intelligence/personality?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was a rallying thing plus the fact that they got the Kree back on their side.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw a thing today about how Storm's upcoming series is the first time she's ever had an ongoing solo book and I was wondering, how many other X-Men have gotten their own ongoing? There's obviously Wolverine and the current Magneto series but I couldn't really think of anyone else.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't Corsair dead?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Razzled posted:

So, I've been watching Batman Beyond for the first time since I was a kid and I had one question in particular I couldn't find an answer to...
In the Batman Beyond story, what happened to Dick Grayson? The only mention of him ~12 episodes in was a grimace when Terry was asking Bruce about what the initials "D.G." meant on the tag of a coat.

From what I remember, they're never that clear but they imply that Dick and Bruce had a falling out over the fact that Bruce and Barbara got together. At least until the whole Joker incident.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Still the creepiest thing in the entire DCAU.

Eh, isn't DCAU Barbara older than the comic version? I'm pretty sure she didn't become Batgirl until she was in college/out of high school.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, Lyta and Hector Hall were minor but established DC characters before Sandman started.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She's not bad in the new Mighty Avengers but she's also not a major character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although she is being used in that Gotham show so maybe they'll bring her back.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Original Magneto was crazy strong, like change the entire planet's magneto field strong. After the Avengers Vs X-Men event from a while back his power levels dropped. Although I don't think we ever really got an explanation as to why.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't there someone else who had adamantium reinforcements too?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

That list also includes Kyle Broflovski :what:

In the tooth fairy episode of South Park Kyle starts to doubt what is real (because of his parents lying to him) and he kind of steps outside of reality for a minute.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Annihilation was kind of a huge thing that breathed new life into the cosmic stuff, too. That's more what that chart is based off

It was also sort of a soft reboot since they could make any changes they wanted to by just blaming the war.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SCW is basically everything I don't like about Johns' GL come to a head. Especially the further whitewashing of Hal's past crimes and how he made sure to remove all the stuff that made Kyle a special Lantern.

I think WWH's problem was that it didn't seem to have a very good endgame since Hulk just clowns everyone so quickly and then it just doesn't have a very satisfying ending. Although, I remember hearing that Pak had to change his original plan because of Loeb wanting to do the Red Hulk stuff. Not sure how true that is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did they make that the official explanation or is it only an Earth X thing?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dacap posted:

Fantastic 4s origin just needs to be updated to them traveling to the negative zone instead of space. Isn't that what the Ultimate version was?

Something like that, it definitely wasn't a spaceship. Also, I'm pretty sure that recent mentions of their origin say that Reed built faulty radiation shielding, not that it was nonexistent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has Hasbro ever explained why they care so much about Rom?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

greatn posted:

What the hell is ROM? Aside from Quark's nephew and read only memory?

The backstory of ROM is that 200 years ago the people of the advanced planet of Galador were in a war with the evil shape shifting Dire Wraiths (they're like Skrulls but more evil and they also use a lot of magic in addition to technology.) In order to combat them Galador sacrificed the best and the brightest of their youth to become cybernetic "Space Knights." ROM was the first to volunteer for the procedure and was the greatest of them. Space Knights were all basically Robocop'ed in that their bodies were chopped up to fit into the armor they wear, with the promise of restoration when the war ended. Galador won the war driving the Dire Wraiths from their homeworld and out of the region but they didn't kill all of them so ROM started hunting them across the galaxy. After 200 years of this he arrives on Earth which the Dire Wraiths have secretly almost conquered.

Even though it was a toy tie in the only thing that really feels like it is how early on ROM doesn't kill any bad guys. Instead he has a gun that banishes them to Limbo which everyone constantly calls a fate worse than death. Although a major conflict is that only ROM can tell when someone is a Dire Wraith so a lot of the time everyone thought he was just straight up murdering random people.

The weirdest thing about the whole situation is that Marvel owns everything about ROM's book but not the character itself so stuff like Galador, the Space Knights and Dire Wraiths all make appearances in modern books. Galador itself was just blown up at the start of last year's Infinity event.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Venom shows up even though he wasn't actually a thing that was around at the time. Loeb wrote Thor completely the opposite of how he was at the time, up to and including using a completely wrong Mjolnir.

Opopanax posted:

Ultimates 3

A lot of early Ultimate stuff was also a mess.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 11, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think they were explicitly supposed to be non-continuity stories. They just kind of quickly became ignored whenever someone else contradicted them.

That just reminds me of how lazy some of the Ultimate stuff was. Like Ultimate Daredevil was just... Daredevil. I don't think he even wore a different costume.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

What's Batman think about all that. And is the whole Authority regular DC now?

I haven't read it since the first couple of issues but the point of Stormwatch was that nobody knew they were around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't Top Cow do something similar?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspired by the page posted in the Chat thread, I've only read modern comics with the Spectre which have focused on his being the instrument of God's wrath. What was his character like in older comics? Was he actually running around doing "superhero" stuff?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Archyduke posted:

I'm taking advantage of Marvel Unlimited to catch up on some of the cosmic Marvel stuff I never caught on to the first time around. I'm noticing that Groot is kind of unexpectedly vocal in Annihilation: Conquest. When did the whole "I am Groot" thing start?

Keeping reading, its about to come up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

It might be because comics back then would often feature multiple short stories, so they wanted to make sure you didn't think it was ending on a cliffhanger or something.

Yeah, that'd be my assumption as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

According to Mike Richardson, Marvel isn't supposed to reprint any Dark Horse Star Wars comics so long as a DH printed collection is still in print. Which might explain why DH quietly started reprinted everything the second Marvel was bought by Disney.

I have to wonder why anyone agrees to those clauses. They never really seem to work out well for the other side.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Ellis is finished already.

But it was apparently always supposed to be just 6 issues, they didn't tell anyone that until it was almost up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

And it actually wouldn't have mattered if he left earlier since there was no arc.

No but it does set up the new status quo for Moon Knight. New costume, no partners and even crazier than normal.