Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's Batman: Odyssey where Neal Adams has Batman espouse a belief in the crackpot expanding Earth theory and Batman travels into a hollow Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you want to just start at the beginning they have a chronological collection, The Complete Case Files. It works out pretty well until the Necropolis arc where for some reason they don't include the comics where Dredd is traveling the Cursed Earth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that the one with a bunch of fast food mascot parodies? I think there were legal concerns.

No, that's the original trip across the Cursed Earth early on in the comic. The Complete Case Files for that time is upfront about the missing chapters and has summaries for them. The Necropolis tie in involves Dredd traveling around as "Dead Man" which is technically not a Judge Dredd comic but it stars Dredd and is important to what happens so it is annoying to not have it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jason Aaron turned the Orb from a weird joke character to a threat that got a whole event around him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Purple Man's Threat Level from Daredevil to Emperor doom to Alias and beyond is a pretty good example.

It's usually a relatively forgettable character being brought out of obscurity and revamped, you could make a similar argument for Mister Freeze, Deadshot, really about half of the main characters from Suicide and/or Thunderbolts.

It is definitely kind of weird to go back and read Animal Man and one of the people wandering around forgotten in Limbo is Mister Freeze.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, the tragic backstory and disaffected scientist who does crimes for a relatable reason thing were never part of his character until BTAS. He used to be just a goofy bald guy with a freeze ray.

It was a lot of stealing diamonds because people call them "ice."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't he largely indistinguishable from the two or three other villains with freeze guns?

He did have the whole "needing to be cold" thing going on, so there was that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess it depends on what you mean by "extended" but Daredevil had Ed Brubaker's "The Devil in Cell Block D" which was six issues of Matt Murdock in prison. I don't know if you'll find a lot of stuff that goes longer than one story arc since superheroes in prison is kind of limited in what they can do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although in Circle of Blood he's only in prison for like one issue.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I read the 80s Vigilante series and one thing it is notable for is the introduction to the DC universe of Peacemaker, who becomes a minor character for a chunk of the comic. However, Peacemaker in the comic was portrayed as completely bonkers with the idea that the souls of those he killed would become trapped in his helmet. Later appearances of Peacemaker that I've seen over the years don't mention this at all so how long did that character quirk last?

Also, this is just something that's been bugging me since I've read the comic and I don't expect anyone to actually have an answer but for anyone else who has read the 80s Vigilante series; did you get an impression that originally they were setting up Adrian's DA girlfriend to be working for/with the Collector? The issue she gets introduced the Collector talks about having someone in the DA's office and she makes a deal with a couple of hitmen who work for the Collector that everyone thinks is too lenient.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cassie's second costume is kind of bland but there's just something stupid about her WWG shirt. The "G" just looks dumb.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also all those giant people watching from the background.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A post in another thread made me wonder, in the X books have they brought back any of the X-Statix characters? Because that was a lot of dead mutants.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been reading through Hellblazer from the beginning and I noticed something kind of weird early on. The issue description for issue 14 says it is the start of the 12 part Fear Machine story arc, except Fear Machine ends at part 9 in issue 22 which the description states that it is "the stunning conclusion to the 12-part Fear Machine storyline." What?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe there was a tie-in?

The final issue of the story says "Part IX" so it doesn't seem like it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

wikipedia is not a source!! i am loving steamed here!!!!

More Fun Comics #88, published February 1943

So, when did Doctor Fate get his more recognizable version of his costume?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Selachian posted:

If I remember correctly, he started with the version we're more familiar with, but switched to the half-mask and no cape version for a while in the mid-40s.

Huh, I guess that's better than the time the helmet was turned into knives.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I forgot to mention the big face tattoo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC it was a thing with all the original Young Avengers where they were actively lying about where their powers came from.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Patriot had no powers he was using MGH. But later he got powers from a blood transfusion.

Specifically he was lying about having powers because of a blood transfusion from Isaiah Bradley but was actually doing MGH.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What's the best way to read junji ito's stuff? Is there a preferred omnibus or collection out there?

There isn't really an omnibus so if you want to read his stuff just pick a book and go from there. Unlike some famous mangaka his stuff is all available digitally so if you can I would recommend going that way since it is much cheaper and easier to read since you aren't trying to lug around a 700 page book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Team" America starring RU Reddy in searing "solo" action? :magemage:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nyeehg posted:

I don't know if it's an elseworlds or a one off mini but I'm trying to find a Superman series. All I remember is the ending where Lara and Jor-El send baby Kal off into space. As they wonder if he will even survive the journey they receive a distorted message from future Clark and learn he survived. Relieved the 2 embrace moments before Krypton blows up.

Does anyone know what this is? I read it in a library many years ago and wish I could reread it.

That's Superman: Birthright by Mark Waid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

Was that the one in which Superman was written as a vegetarian because he could perceive some sort of aura from all living things?

I honestly don't remember which Superman story that was in, but I thought that was sort of nice and fit well with the kindness of Superman in his best stories.

Yeah that was the one. It was kind of a weird idea that even the book itself didn't really go into that much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

I totally forgot about Hitman. That was a fun book. Do those characters still exist?

Doesn't that book end with everyone dying?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Oh man, The Odyssey. My memories of that on CBC are extremely blurred by age, and I'd have called anyone who told me it had a 3rd season a liar.

It aired in America on Sci-Fi channel after the fact so it wasn't clear when they did the season changeovers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Kind of similar question: in continuity who determines who qualifies as an omega level mutant?

IIRC Hickman's stuff has it that Xavier came up with a definition of what an Omega level mutant is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beerdeer posted:

TIL that a bunch of the Guthrie family debuted in ROM. Man I wish I could read that book.

The entire series was scanned ages ago and seeing as there's no way to legally purchase it you shouldn't feel too bad for just pirating it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bessantj posted:

Is ROM worth reading anyway?

It's not like Watchmen or anything like that but it does have some interesting ideas. Like how Rom doesn't have any proof to show that he isn't just rolling up and murdering random people because his detector only shows him who the Dire Wraiths are and when he zaps them to Limbo it looks like he's disintegrating them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

Think that might have been my first experience with the Celestials when I was a kid.

Anybody have any other decent stories involving the Celestials without the Eternals present? Thor 283, 300, and 387-388 were all about how even the Asgardian’s might paled in comparison to the Celestials. Hickman’s SHIELD series used the infant Celestial to great effect. Jason Aaron’s Avengers started with some crazy Celestial shenanigans, with the corpse of one becoming the Avengers current base.

Not mainline continuity but Earth-X has Celestials as the bad guys. Don't read any of the sequels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DC's digital comic service has been pretty good about adding in their back catalog.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

First/rookie used to not have large print runs because nobody knew they would be any good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You usually only see a utopia once the plot is over like with the end of Red Son.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Does anyone here have the Master Edition of From Hell? I’ve finally accepted that my old copy somehow didn’t make it during one of the last three times I’ve moved and want to get new (used) copy. I’m skeptical about it being in color and can’t really find any sample pages online. From the description it’s ‘expressionistically colored” by Eddie Campbell which sounds like it could be great, but I’d really like to see what that looks like first. Seems like it could be distracting if done poorly though.

I read through it not that long ago. The new coloring can be a little weird sometimes but it doesn't really ruin it or anything. Here's an example of what it looks like:

I think mostly it comes across as unnecessary.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird that they included that box in the image instead of just cutting it out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wolverine, the guy with built in knives, definitely needs a sword as an accessory.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The original mini that started it is pretty cool. The rest I could take or leave.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes to Dick, not sure about Jason.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bruce adopted him much later like way into their careers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Conversation in another thread made me realize that I know the basics of the story but not the actual details so, how exactly did the character of Patsy Walker go from teen comics to a superhero?