Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Look at these bad opinions. Outside of being a definitive Spider-Man artist his 80's X-Men work is brilliant. He does the best mohawk Storm and an excellent Wolverine. Not to mention all his Daredevil work.

(His Bendis Avengers run wasn't great but nothing about that run was)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Schneider Heim posted:

Somewhere in BSS I saw a panel/page of Superman flying through space with the bubble, "if you knew how loved you are, you would never strike a hand in anger again" or the like. Where's that issue from and who wrote it?

It's from JLA/Hitman by Garth Ennis and John McCrea. (it's really good)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It's from X-23's ongoing a few years back.

I think around issue 13 is where that's from but if you like it the whole series is worth it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Dumb Wolverine question - back when he had his healing factor and wasn't dead, what happened if he got decapitated? Like, did he grow a new head, or a new body, or have to have the parts put back together, or ... did this ever happen at all? I need to know. Thanks.

In the Ultimate Universe he just survived as a head, in 616 I am pretty sure it never happened and would have died from it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do so many of the early Spider-Man comics characters have cornrows? Off the top of my head, Green Goblin, Harry Osborne, and Sandman have the same weirdo haircut. Did 60s white guys really ever wear their hair that way, or was it just easy to draw? And in the case of Norman and Harry, did Ditko think that haircuts were heritable?

It's combed back wavey hair, not cornrows.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The "weird" hair thing doesn't help that Osborn was effectively Tommy Lee Jones with corn rows for a while.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

StumblyWumbly posted:

Anyone know when Marvel started doing the creators retreats? Was that shooter or Quesada?

I think it was Brevoort that made it a few times a year event but they were happening pre-Quesada at least. I know the likes of Peter David has discussed going to Marvel retreats to "sort things out" around the Heroes Reborn era.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i was not aware that Original Sin involved a team up between Dr. Strange and the Punisher and now I'm intrigued. was it any good? i haven't read an event book since Avengers Vs X-Men and what a mistake that was

It's alright in the sense that with the exception of say the last page it's completely predictable. I don't care for Deodato's art but it is Aaron getting to do his love letter to OG Nick Fury using as many Morrison characters as he can (and The Orb).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Inkspot posted:

How is that a better option than putting out 12 issues a year with a more tightly-paced story and stronger, more deliberate art? When you can get through the first five arcs in just under two hours, your book doesn't have enough meat to it. But, just the same, I bought it, and they sold a bajillion copies on top of that, so I guess the joke's on me.

Simple answer was money. Shipping 18 books a year makes more money than 12. Marvel are still doing it with the likes of Avengers now, the only issue is they don't have more Bagley's with such a low fi style who can just constantly churn out books.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hakkesshu posted:

I admit I don't know anything about how the artist/company relationship works, but my understanding is that it's contractual and most artists do several jobs for more than one company at a time. Does someone like Marvel actually employ artists in-house exclusively on a full-time basis? Now I know some artists work faster than others, but could you theoretically pump out one good-looking issue a week if you had nothing else on the table?

Kind of on a full time basis. Like Marvel will give exclusive artists the same way they do writers which depending on the contract can either be for a number of books or a number of months/years. They usually make a big deal about an exclusive artist once a year, Mahmud Asrar I think was the last one and he's been relegated to bouncing between X-Men books. Bagley's deal was just that, he was an exclusive artist and could churn books out quickly for years so Marvel kept him until he got bored/wanted something new and didn't renew his contract at which point DC snapped him up for a while to do Trinity but he quickly burnt out there. Theoretically if you had multiple Bagley's you could keep them on contract and have them churn out 12-18 issues a month, since speed wise those are a rare exception Marvel usually put an artist on exclusivity and then just hire as needed fill-in artists with a similar style to try and give a book a consistent tone and schedule.

I think most monthly comic book artists average at about a page a day (which then needs to be colored, lettered and depending on the artist inked) so the alternative would just to give people more of a lead in on books or actually take breaks but that's not really how the majority of big two comics go.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

muscles like this? posted:

What is/was the explanation for the Inhuman royal family to go around wearing masks? I know Black Bolt wears his costume because it's supposed to help control his power but what about everyone else?

Isn't it just what Kirby considered alien regal design. Kind of like Galactus helmet.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

CzarChasm posted:

Am I weird in that bad art in comics doesn't bother me or stop me from enjoying comics for the most part?

I mean there's an old early 2000's All CGI Batman comic that my eyes slide right off of, and some of the Injustice Year One stuff was posted here under the funny panels. But beyond that, as long as I can recognize the characters and distinguish them from one another, I don't mind. I have seen the examples from Greg land, where if you were to line up his female characters faces side by side, I couldn't tell them apart, but I consider that an oddity rather than the rule.

Yes and you should feel bad, everybody should feel bad :colbert:

It's a visual medium, if it looks like rear end I'd rather be reading a book.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

muscles like this? posted:

So I heard something about Axis changing Wanda and Pietro's backstories, what did it do?

Magneto is not their father. Either he's been lying to them for years to manipulate them for his own gains or whomever told Magneto they were his kids lied, either way it's yet to be explored more. Just more dumb editorial decisions to line things up with Age of Ultron coming out.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Check your Midgardian privilege.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I don't think so yet but Deadpool is due to appear in the Guardian's team up book at some point.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What's the origin of the "Superman beating up Bizarro while crying" thing?

SlimGoodbody made this post as a serious suggestion for who should be the bad guy if WB relaunched Superman (pre-Man of Steel)

SlimGoodbody posted:

On that note, I think Bizarro, while maybe not a good villain to carry a movie, could be a tragic and beautiful piece of plot for a Supes movie. Someone (maybe Luthor, yawn) attempts to clone a Superman they can control, or maybe reverse engineer Superman-like abilities with a few drops of his blood. They want to use it to discredit the original Supes and turn public opinion against him. Bizarro ends up breaking loose and rampaging.

Don't make him evil, make him really dishearteningly broken in the head. He just keeps trying to "help" and "do the right thing," but he gets it all wrong because he's mentally deficient. Think Lenny trying to pet the rabbits. The plot arc culminates in Superman realizing that no amount of interposing will ever stop Bizarro from trying to do the right thing, just as no amount of interference would ever stop Superman from trying to do the right thing. We see Superman crying as he has to beat the life out of Bizarro, who doesn't understand what he's done. Superman doesn't want to do it, but it's a burden he has to bear in order to make the world safer. Supes has a period of reflection on whether he's any different, or if he's getting in the way of humanity moving itself forward by coddling it so much. He decides that he has to follow Bizarro's example and keep trying to do right, no matter what, and goes to take on the big bad guy that was responsible for/controlling Bizarro with a new sense of anger and purpose.

Or something. Whatever. You get the idea.

It such a hilarious bad idea for a film that it just stuck as an ongoing joke.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

There are plenty of Bizarro stories where he's just trying to help and causing more damage but they don't end with Superman crying as he beats him to death.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

SirDan3k posted:

Of course she can make functioning balls but it sill takes her time to produce sperm. So she probably still has them just in case the Destiny resurrection subplot in Wolverines goes anywhere. Obviously she stores them in like the ribcage just like any sane man would if we had the choice.

You're gross.

Everybody stop being gross and talking about comic book characters junk or lack thereof.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It also ignores all the other different symbiotes with teeth and claws and that.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Take the helldumping or whining or whatever somewhere else. This thread has been derailed with enough whining already.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Kirby draw the cover of Amazing Fantasy 15?

With Ditko inks, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I'm sure there are some spoilers of the run you left out.

zoux posted:

I know he's writing post SW Avengers, have they announced a new ongoing Daredevil?

No.