Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wonder Man and Vision survived a giant fantasy space nuke, nega-bomb or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Edna Mode?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You don't know her back story any more than the rest of us. She obviously was at a critical phase which is why she was ready to end her own life. ZOMG SHE'S GOTH SHE WANTS TO DIE is an idiotic observation to make.

You're an idiot. The artistic shorthand of goth = suicide was a complaint being made.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's a loving idiotic complaint to be made and he also complained about how she was just one traffic jam away from suicide so you can get stuffed.

Less idiodic than the guy who said it wouldn't have made as much impact for him if she dressed in a less "alternative" style. Because people who are depressed don't matter if they aren't qt goth girls, right?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This guy you idiot.

prefect posted:

I don't think he's saying "all kids who dress like this are depressed". I actually like that it's an "alternative" kid that Superman is helping -- if it had been a polished and popular kid, I would feel less sympathy.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rhyno posted:

What are you even arguing at this point?

That you have an inability to read posts, leading to you arguing with a guy who shared your views and then again with me.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Has there ever been a 616 Miles Morales at all? Even as just a sly mention/nod to the Ultimate universe?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yes, the last page of Spider-Men.

Thanks, but could you elaborate at all?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Welp. Now I'm confused.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I guess Thor is out if the question, then?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What even is a cryptofascist?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Simple who search for mythological and legendary fascists.

Oh, that sounds like most superhero comics. That's like the basic description of like Darkseid and other supervillains.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Skwirl posted:

William F Buckley.

Tim Buckley?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Books without pictures use the greatest artist ever: Your imagination.

Sorry, my imagination is crap.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Madkal posted:

I would read it if Darkseid was the one who created noted conservative magazine The National Review and writer/political commentator Clark Kent wrote the word "cryptofascist.

Who's gonna illustrate it?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Someone who likes or is fascist but doesn't want to admit it. The same for other "crypto-X" things.

Darkseid isn't because he's open about who he is and isn't fascist except under a pointlessly broad definition.

Is the "they don't want to admit it" thing important? I figured it was just hiding a fascist message or theme.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

No quarter will be asked, and none given.

Isn't that Furman?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

WickedHate posted:

What are you playing at, trying to start more quotations? Time I made a stand. These repeated lines are giving me the worst case of indigestion I've ever had, a short, sharp lesson in a whole world of pain. Starting now, it's over, finished!

I'm pretty sure this is surplus to requirements.

It was not my intent!! That was a serious question.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

WickedHate posted:

It never ends. :sigh:

Time to reap the whirlwind!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think part of the issue with Superman is that, with video games part of the challenge is that you have vulnerabilities. So developers have to come up with reasons for Supes to be vulnerable and so far we've not had any developers who care enough about Supes or think to enlist people who do, so they can come up with something.

I can't remember the title at the moment, but there was a Superman game on the DS where the player is invulnerable and instead it's the city itself that has a lifebar. I though that was a pretty good way to handle things.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cheers!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

NORMAL-SIZE
MAN-THING!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I think it's dumb they used 616 instead of literally any other number because it means that whoever made the decision to put that in there means they know it's ~important~ and recognizable, but doesn't know why. Or doesn't care-- they just want people to nerd out because "I recognize a thing!" with no consideration to the meaning behind it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's not a big deal, it just dilutes something that was cool and unique by specifically not understanding or not caring why it was significant in the first place. It's about making it confusing for anyone. Like-- imagine they used a different number, whatever they chose, now instead that grows the IP (or lore, or whatever term you like the best) and can be something new to be called back on. With that there's something unique that everyone of all levels of knowledge can appreciate. Instead it's just "thing that exists."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I've never been clear on how much influence editors have over manga creators, but it does seem like 'a lot.' I've heard stories part of the reason Bleach was the way it was because his editor kept telling Kubo to make it like either DBZ or One Piece instead of doing its own thing. Even Jujutsu Kaisen seems to have devolved into the ever escalating power level thing, which is a shame.

I think from things like Bakuman, Nozaki-kun and Aoi Honoo (among lots of other works that have manga development as either a focus or part of the plot) there's a range of editor types, but it definitely seems like often the editor is either a full on collaborator or a director and generally the buck stops with them.