Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SirDan3k posted:

He knew the compromise was worse, he had to, but he went forward as a basic "Screw you for compromising MY VISION!" to editorial.

I don't understand why editorial even suggested that terrible compromise.

I mean how about... they're not his kids but he thinks they could be? On account of how couples have sex sometimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No, it was consensual. Peter is realizing this happened and freaking out in the narration.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They can still die. When you've already changed the rules you can make them whatever you want.

How thrilling. It's like the narrative version of kids on the playground who keep changing the rules so they don't lose.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's so much lightweight bullet-proof poo poo in the Marvel Universe that you have to really suspend your disbelief about it or else everyone not constantly wearing bulletproof costumes seems like a loving idiot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

That was 20 years ago, and he's back writing for Marvel now.

Kirkman could have wrapped all his Marvel work and focused on his creator-owned stuff without being a big baby about it but whoops

I dunno, if you're in a position to actually express your opinions on the big two without suffering any repercussions, you should definitely take it, even if you're kind of a jerk. It sure beats all this "if I say anything bad about Jeph Loeb/Greg Land/Whoever I'll never work again" wishy-washy diplomatic poo poo we usually get in interviews.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm trying to catch up on some Marvel comics, are the .NOW issue still side issues that share the same number as the real thing, or does it work differently than it used to? I'm a little confused.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The now issues ARE the real issues. Previously we'd have Avengers #13.Au or something as well as a #13. Avengers #25.Now is the only #25 released.

Much like all the other numbering gimmicks Marvel does, this isn't confusing at all. Thanks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Not sure about this, do you have a source?

Don't worry, I got it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

It was Daniel Way and it was probably his worst comic.

He also survived a nuke during a World War 2 mini.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

How different are Red Hulk and normal Hulk's powersets?

They're very similar, but Red Hulk has energy-absorption/detection/emission powers that complement his regular Hulkness. Green is overall stronger, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Also doesn't Red Hulk keep his intelligence/personality?

Yeah. There's probably a slight shift in aggressiveness and confidence, but it's as mild as She-Hulk's personality change.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I think Hulk outclasses aikido. It would be like trying to redirect a speeding train.

The Hulk redirected Juggernaut during the X-men World War Hulk tie-in, sending him about a state over.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I personally think it's really weird to lump Watchmen and Spawn in the same age of comics just because they're both "Dark". I never really bought the idea that making mature superhero comics somehow opened a pandora's box that had Identity Crisis and Bloodshot in it. I think the Image guys, the speculator market, and a lot of other cultural factors forged the Xtreme 90s all on their own.

Obviously it's all links in the same big, complicated chain, but I just don't buy that you can point to Alan Moore's work or Kraven's Last Hunt and say that's why DC has Joker rip his face off today or whatever.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 23, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wasn't Corsair dead?

Didn't he die in a Vulcan story? I think everyone who died due to Vulcan should get a free resurrection pass, no explanation needed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

All the explanation we've gotten so far, courtesy of All-New X-Men 23.

That's more than enough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vincent posted:

I'm more surprised that no one gave him poo poo for introducing a literal yellow peril villain in his captain america run.

No one's reading his Captain America run, so no one can get mad about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

From what I remember, they're never that clear but they imply that Dick and Bruce had a falling out over the fact that Bruce and Barbara got together.

Still the creepiest thing in the entire DCAU.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Eh, isn't DCAU Barbara older than the comic version? I'm pretty sure she didn't become Batgirl until she was in college/out of high school.

When he met her she still carried a teddy bear around. It's loving creepy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Poor Lock-Up...

No matter how much I try not to see it that way, that episode always comes across as "Frank Miller's Batman is a horrifying monster, actually".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Has Bendis ever commented recently on his writing of Jessica Jones? It's a real disappointment that he took a really cool, interesting female character and turned her into a hysterical mother.

She started out as basically a brainwashed rape victim. It's really more like a lateral move.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

As I recall, though, he was pretty drat good in XMLII.

He wasn't the Juggernaut, so he sucked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's the biggest pile of 90s poo poo ever. Doomsday's rampage looks complex and well-written in comparison.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

He is in the Negative Zone right now so he could easily return to 616

So they're going with "there's only one negative zone" again?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's mostly joke Captain America analogue that had some good inspirational moments with Guy Gardner, I believe. Most of the Marvel homages I can think of were from the JLU cartoon, which was really blatant about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'd assume Mephisto also knows.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not impossible that that was one of the secret extra conditions MJ whispered to Mephisto. Anyway, it's obvious Marvel brass realized how stupid an exit a deal with the devil was and isn't eager to revisit it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It answers precisely zero questions you may have.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

The biggest downside to WWH was the stupid loving reveal that It was agents of the Red King that planted a bomb in the ship and Miek knew but let it go off because of stupid reasons. It would have been so much better if it was a accident that Stark and co were responsible for instead of the stupid cop-out easy resolution we got.

Why would having a good guy be accidentally responsible for something horrifying like that be better? Did you learn nothing from Civil War?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He's been on trial at least once, and Mr. Fantastic let him escape at the end when he was going to be convicted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dude that explosion nearly killed the loving planet. That is not a reasonable self destruct for a ship to have.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Also, why would it need a flashy self destruct, if he was going to land on a planet without any modern civilization it just needs to break a little, blow a fuse or something.

And be made of bio-degradable materials.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I dunno, patriotism isn't the best reason to take such a huge risk, but it beats out greed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

To be honest I think the most dated super-origin of all is the X-men. They used to be "children of the atom", but even after they introduced the "x-gene", the idea of a single gene that has no real reason for appearing giving people so many ridiculous powers is pushing suspension of disbelief way further than is advisable. "Hey guys, I have a gene in me and now I can control gravity."

I wonder if that's part of why the Inhuman thing happened.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think the sheer scale of it makes it sillier.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot about that. That actually does make it easier to swallow.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

they don't really need to update the origins, I mean Marvel time makes no sense anyway so who cares how out of date the origins are.

Non-comic readers might be confused about someone in their 20s being alive during the space race.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

In the very issue in question she mentions being 23

She's not exactly human and was vat-grown, she could be 2 and it wouldn't really be an issue, would it? Like, no one would argue a girl making out with Ben Reilly was a pedophile just because he's technically 5? It's not like she looks or acts like a child or even a teen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Well they show her as a child when Ian was a baby, and time moves differently so she lived 23 years.

I totally forgot about them showing her as a child. I kinda assumed she stepped out of a tube full grown. Still, if she's 23 now, I don't know what people are complaining about. It's not a Layla Miller situation where she went from 10 to 25 in a week from her lover's point of view, and I seem to be one of the few people who was even creeped out by that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

And Spider-man can get his robot back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Would Disney buying Hasbro out stop Michael Bay from making more Transformers movies? Because if so, we need to take this to the United Nations.