Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is AXM #38 the first time Lockheed has a conversation the issue where he has a reunion with Kitty after she comes back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

He talk to Brand all the time, but off screen or she was the only one who could understand.

Yeah the issue I'm referring to has his dialogue translated, I just didn't know if that was the first time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When they kill off a character, does that decision come from editorial or a writer typically?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I think it's pretty rare for editors to mandate a character death. I guess the biggest example is Jean Grey.

Which time?

So like for say Nightcrawler it was just Mike Carey going, hey I wanna kill this guy off for story/character reasons, that cool? And then the writers on all the other X-books get a memo saying, "Oh BTW, this dude is about to be killed in this crossover event, so I hope you didn't have any big plans that involved him.

How much communication/collaborations goes on between authors of different but connected books?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of what are the spoiler rules around here, there's nothing in the rules thread.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is that the reason Shooter and Byrne had mad beef? Sounds like he had beef with Claremont too.

I tell you reading the wikipedia pages on a lot of the creators, it seems like people in the business don't really like each other very much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How do people in the industry feel about Axel Alonso?

It's just odd to me how vocal people can be about their colleagues. In other creative media, usually people try to put a good face on relationships and what not, but in the comic book industry, it seems like people will talk out of school all the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was reading the Invincible Iron Man Reconstructed run and it had Don Blake turning into Thor. What's the deal there, I thought they retconned it so that Thor was just Thor now? Explain to me how Thor works!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Well he was technically dead from 2004 until 2010

Huh, so there were zero Thor comics during that time or did they have like robot Thor and Beta Ray Bill comics.

Also, I read the Cap Reborn stuff this weekend, and even though it was pretty obvious that they wanted to bring Steve back pretty quickly, were people mad that they brought him back so soon?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

JMS takes forever to write a handful of issues so the Thor books are finally dragged into another event book with Siege where Thor is "killed again". (2010)

Ugh I am so sick of Dark Reign/Siege, and I'm binge reading through them. I can't imagine what it was like being trapped in that for like a year and a half real time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I really enjoyed that era, especially after Secret Invasion. Just catching up on Remender's Punisher now, I like it even more.

e: Have you been reading Secret Warriors? That a great part of it.

Nah, I'm just reading through stuff like Iron Man and Captain America and I keep running into this giant wall of Dark Reign and Siege and that's usually where I'll stop and go read another book until that point. I figure I'll read the core Siege series at some point and then move beyond it. Now that I've read all the X-books up to AvX I figure I'll catch up to AvX in the other "main" titles and then read AvX all at once.

Oh as for a question what are the main Avengers books post Civil War? I know they split into the official and secret teams, but every time there's a huge event they split or change the Avengers books, it seems.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 3, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Len posted:

Secret Warriors really was pretty good. It runs into Dark Reign for a couple issues but most of it is just Nick Fury saving the world one last time before retirement.

Yeah he showed up with his team in one the Secret Invasion books and I remember reading a Dark Avengers where Ares gives him permission to train Phobos, but I didn't know what book that stuff happened in.

When and why did Fury leave SHIELD anyway?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Speaking of, I just read through Secret War yesterday, and it's amazing how blatantly she's just a still of Angelina Jolie from Hackers traced over and over and over.

Yeah for sure. Also is Siege era Osborn intended to look like Tommy Lee Jones or am I just face-blind?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh its suppose to be Tommy Lee Jones

What year is this issue so I can avoid the poo poo out of it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Why would anyone want to avoid the Sins of the Father storyline?

That's the one where it turns out that Osborn secretly impregnated Gwen Stacy right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's Gwen Stacy?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's up with Marvel renumbering their books up to 600 (500 in the case of Invincible Iron Man) all of a sudden around Siege?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can Daredevil read?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just finished Gillen's run on Journey into Mystery, is that the end of Kid Loki :ohdear:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought it was one of the best books I've read in a while, though it kinda went all over the place with the Thor crossover stuff at the end. How's Immonen's Sif run?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aside from Superman, how many comic book heroes/villians have had a nuclear bomb dropped on them? How many survived?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Obvious Answer: The Hulk, multiple times, for obvious thematic reasons.

Obscure Answer: Team 7, a group containing Wildstorm characters like Grifter, Deathblow, and Alex Fairchild.

E: all survivors, mind.

OK hypothetically now, which dudes could take a nuke to the face and live?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Could?
Juggernaut
Hulk
Superman/Bizzaro/Supergirl
Doomsday
Wolverine
Cannonball - If you buy into that invulnerable while moving bit
Kitty Pride - Possibly if she can phase through the explosion and somehow survive a walk to a non-irradiated area, but that's a big if.
Galactus
Thanos
Darkseid
Wonder Woman - I think both she and Supes took a ground zero hit recently. Self inflicted IIRC.

Sue Storm? If she could survive the nosebleed.

Also wasn't that WW nuke caused by her splitting an atom with her sword?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Secret Wars was specifically made so that Mattel could have new costumes to put action figures in which is why Doom gets a new costume and Spiderman and loving Charles Xavier as well. Doom's new costume was specifically because toy making company executives said old Doom looked too medieval to market to children. It's funny to me that the huge amount of Spidey canon involving symbiotes all came because they wanted a black costume for an action figure.

Jim Shooter posted:

We went through a number of ideas for names for the toy line and series. Mattel’s focus group tests indicated that kids reacted positively to the words “wars” and “secret.” Okay. / Mattel had a number of other requirements. Doctor Doom, they said, looked too medieval. His armor would have to be made more high-tech. So would Iron Man’s, because their focus groups indicated that kids reacted positively...etc. Okay. / They also said there had to be new fortresses, vehicles and weapons because they wanted playsets, higher price point merchandise and additional play value. Okay. / When time came to actually do it, I realized that only I could write it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's because it was mentally linked to him and shares his DNA.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well Xavier had a new goofy costume in Secret Wars anyway, iirc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How different are Red Hulk and normal Hulk's powersets?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was reading the Avengers run where Osborne and HAMMER come back and they took Red Hulk down fairly easily, which is what made me wonder.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

I think Squirrel Girl did that to Thanos. The real, definitely not a fake Thanos.

Are you sure it wasn't a clone or robot or something?

So can Thor fly these days or is he still doing that hammer throw thing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Writing for Trade". This is another way to say "six issue arcs", correct?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What does decompression mean in a comic book context?

Nice write up, by the way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes, quite. I prefer the long form, I guess, since I don't know if I've ever read a comic outside of a trade/Unlimited medium. I can see how it would be frustrating for events like that to play out over a year or so. I'm about to be current on all the Avengers and X books, so I guess I'm gonna find out first hand.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Amazing Fantasy 15 contains the origin of Spider-Man and another, complete, story about a dude who gets super powers from his dad being exposed to nuclear radiation. Ultimate Ben Parker doesn't die until the fifth or sixth issue of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Who's the other guy?

So, was there a notable first decompressed story that played out over a few issues, or is it something that's always been a part of comics that's just used way more now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought it was pretty well accepted that Watchmen changed the game as far as what comic book creators could do, but also as evinced by my questions in this thread I am a raw comics dilettante who may just be laboring under false information I read in a buzzfeed article.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

More of a comics related question than a comics question, but wasn't there a blog or podcast that went through the X-Men books Tom vs JLA style? I always meant to check it out and now I have a bit more free time coming up, but I don't remember the name.

Uncanny Xcast?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

In hiatus until an event comic where they can be unceremoniously killed for shock value.

Is that why everyone hates Avengers Arena? Lot of Darkhawk and Red Robin fans out there?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh hey, I'm reading Avengers books but not single character books at the moment, and Carol just became Captain Marvel. There wasn't a power change or inciting incident was there, just Carol decided to change her uniform and start calling herself Captain rather than Ms. Marvel, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well it was a good call because her Cap. Marvel costume is cool as hell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Cap recommends it earlier in the issue, I think.

Or maybe that's in Avengers Assemble. He recommends it somewhere, anyway.

Yeah I went and read the very first part of that #1 to kind of see what the deal was, but she was already in her new costume and Cap's like "You should be Captain Marvel". Is there a comic where she decides to get the new uni or does she just show up in it? Also, did this have anything to do with the brief return of Mar-vell in that weird AvX New Avengers storyline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

There was another one? Was this one also a Skrull?

Some Kree dudes resurrected him with part of the Mkrann crystal and they wanted to use the Phoneix force to give them ultimate power but it was actually just one dude who was mind controlling everyone on the Kree planet.

It was weird.