Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

lotus circle posted:

So hey good news: they're not finger-less gloves. They're just hand-armor.

That......makes even less sense. Also did anyone else think it was/is bullshit that his suit is supposed to be indestructible? Like so artists didn't have to draw battle damage, or show Clark's super manly chest hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
If they're knuckle guards, they need to be visually distinct to demonstrate that. They do have the look of mis-fitting sleeves ultimately, which... looks childish, really. Like ill-fitting jammies when viewed at the wrong angle.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Knuckle guards... For the man that can punch the moon while being covered in searing magma.

Yes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I know I'm always worried that Superman might hurt himself when he punches someone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

First Bass posted:

Romita's art is just bad in general, but he seems to have a problem with Supermen in particular.
Wow.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'd rather see how Aaron Kuder draws the outfit personally. That guy makes the current suit look half decent, he should make this one look pretty good. I wish they'd drop the neck completely instead of just slightly toning it down.

Honestly the best nu52 superman costume is the T-shirt and jeans, Ultraman's and Earth 2 Superman's come close.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

If they're going to go all techno-alien with Supes they should just go all the way.

First Bass posted:

Romita's art is just bad in general, but he seems to have a problem with Supermen in particular.

:captainpop:

Don't make me post the entirety of his Daredevil run at you.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I used to really like JRJR back when he did Spider-Man.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
JRJR is one of the best noir artists working in comics today, but he's got some fairly glaring weak spots, and this would appear to be one of them. Another's drawing children.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I'd rather see how Aaron Kuder draws the outfit personally. That guy makes the current suit look half decent, he should make this one look pretty good. I wish they'd drop the neck completely instead of just slightly toning it down.

Honestly the best nu52 superman costume is the T-shirt and jeans, Ultraman's and Earth 2 Superman's come close.

I like the cut of your jib.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

FilthyImp posted:

Knuckle guards... For the man that can punch the moon while being covered in searing magma.

Yes.

Ground in moon dust is a bitch to wash off your knuckles.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I think Superman could use some knee pads next. That would probably be great.

I have to wonder who looks at the designs of Superman with dumb knuckle covers and says "yes.. This is right. Send the memo to everyone, this is official"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Chinaman7000 posted:

I think Superman could use some knee pads next. That would probably be great.

I have to wonder who looks at the designs of Superman with dumb knuckle covers and says "yes.. This is right. Send the memo to everyone, this is official"

He could look at Batman's bat-kneepads and get jealous, adding S-shield kneepads to his own outfit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm ready for them to revisit Superman Red and Superman Blue / Electric superman. Can't wait for those designs.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

Don't make me post the entirety of his Daredevil run at you.

Okay, I guess he's alright if he's drawing Spider-Man or Daredevil, but for the love of god keep him away from anything with a cape.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I don't understand how anyone could like JRJR's art. If it weren't for the fact that I'm down to only collecting Action and Superman at this point from DC (which is a new low record for me) then I'd be dropping that book as well.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I really like Romita Jr. I'll tend to enjoy most anyone with a real idiosyncratic style.
I thought his arc on Remender's Captain America was gorgeous. There was a sharp drop in my interest in that book afterwards and a lot of it was probably down to him being replaced by some really indistinct artists (e: until Immonen on the new volume, I guess. I like him, but haven't tried the comic yet.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 2, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

So hey good news: they're not finger-less gloves. They're just hand-armor.

Did JRJR ever draw people who didn't look like made out of boxes?

Because those are some ugly-looking people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Did JRJR ever draw people who didn't look like made out of boxes?

Because those are some ugly-looking people.

You are the very last person in this entire subforum who's allowed to be critical of anyone's art style considering the poo poo you consider to be good art.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think John Romita, Jr. is one of the two artists (the other is Alan Davis) I can remember really jumping out at me when I started reading comics. It was on his third (?) run on Spider-Man with Howard Mackie; by no means a good arc but I thought the art held it up a lot. I really liked the way he drew the Venom symbiote when it was separated from Eddie Brock.

At the same time, I see why people wouldn't like him. There's certainly been a few times his art has fallen flat for me, but I think when he's good, he's very good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You also have to keep in mind the current trend in coloring is not one that plays to JRJR's strengths at all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can see why he was a big deal back in the day; his artwork looks better with sparser, non-digital colouring and he's perfectly fine at drawing characters like Spider-Man and Venom who mostly don't have human faces. But when you have him doing human interaction he loving sucks, I'm sorry. His run on Bendis' Avengers and like AvX, not those books were very good to begin with, but it is one of the shittiest high-profile art jobs I've seen in the modern era. It looks embarrassing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's weird how many wrong opinions are being posted by people who don't have anime titty avatars.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Maybe the artist watched some UFC and picked up on the fingerless four ounce gloves the fighters use.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I still like his art :v:

Sometimes his faces are pretty funny but his poses are pretty great

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Like Quietly he is a talented guy with a unique style that doesnt always work all the time but, when it does, nobody could replace it.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

You are the very last person in this entire subforum who's allowed to be critical of anyone's art style considering the poo poo you consider to be good art.

No I think we should hear DT out this time, he is an expert on box people art

Chinaman7000 posted:

Like Quietly he is a talented guy with a unique style that doesnt always work all the time but, when it does, nobody could replace it.

The highs are high and the lows are very low

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Goon posted:

I don't understand how anyone could like JRJR's art. If it weren't for the fact that I'm down to only collecting Action and Superman at this point from DC (which is a new low record for me) then I'd be dropping that book as well.

I think Romita's like Quitely in that he draws pretty ugly people, but makes up for it with good panel work and poses. I think there can be a difference between somebody who is an striking artist and somebody good at doing comic work. Neither Romita or Quitely are good at drawing pretty people but both are talented at the panel, pose, and gutter skills of putting a comic page together. Romita's a good comic artist, just not an attractive one, if that makes sense.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a big Quitely fan but he has done some really impressive, experimental stuff in like We3 and, for example, that one issue of New X-Men that doesn't have any words in it. Conversely here's nothing good or interesting going on in a page like this, which just looks like it was made by an amateur:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not a big Quitely fan but he has done some really impressive, experimental stuff in like We3 and, for example, that one issue of New X-Men that doesn't have any words in it. Conversely here's nothing good or interesting going on in a page like this, which just looks like it was made by an amateur:

Romita was a terrible choice for AvX what with so many characters needing to be onscreen together so often. He's good with single, big-paneled dudes. I wish Daniel Acuña had been given the gig.

That jumping Spidey is just embarrassing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Some small teasers from Convergence week 1's writers

Not a lot but Marz has certainly piqued my interest with this

quote:

IGN: What can you tease about what fans can expect from your comic?

RM: It's Batman and Robin in Gotham City, facing off against a rogues gallery of freaks, though in this case the freaks include the Extremists. But more than that, the real meat of the story is the father-son aspect between Bruce, Damian and Jason Todd. There's just so much fodder for great drama there. And, obviously, working with Denys Cowan and Klaus Janson is a "pinch me" moment for me. The pages are absolutely beautiful

Sign me the gently caress up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Some small teasers from Convergence week 1's writers

Not a lot but Marz has certainly piqued my interest with this

Sign me the gently caress up.

Yep the return of the good Jason Todd aka the one from Batman and Robin.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep the return of the good Jason Todd aka the one from Batman and Robin.

Going by the comments about the Father-son aspect being the biggest angle, I'm expecting for the story to give closure to the animosity between Jason and Bruce and bring it closer to the N52 version. I sure do hope red haired Jason rots on the comic book limbo though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Hakkesshu posted:

That is absolutely a rush job. I ignored the hell out of AvX but I'm guessing because it was an event book editors were putting pressure on creative. I agree, this page looks absolutely awful. It only vaguely resembles his normal art though, which is great. A couple of random examples:

That said, I wouldn't fault someone for being mad at JRJR for being the artist on Kick-rear end. I don't blame him, those Millarbux have to feel good in the pocket and feeding the kids. But it doesn't stop me from wishing it was someone else.

I think the reason this bothers me so much is not really that someone is talking poo poo about an artist I like, but in general I'm bugged by this focus on "pretty people" which seems to spur most of this type of criticism: Quitely's "potato faces" or Steve Dillion's one face are generally irritating and facile complaints. I'm also reminded of criticism of artists that used to kill it but have fallen off for whatever reason, at least when the critics act like they're bad newcomers. Like those directed towards some of Howard Chaykin's more recent work for hire endeavors. (Satellite Sam makes it clear that he just didn't give a gently caress about Hawkgirl and needed cash, and I've heard that he totally delegated it to assistants)

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 3, 2015

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I find the comparison between Quietley and JRJR unfair. They're not even in the same league. JRJR is a cartoonist, Quietley is an artist. Warning: do not view before sleeping

Also here have some Pax Americana for Quietley being really drat good at comic books

Four Score fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 3, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

First Bass posted:

JRJR is a cartoonist, Quietley is an artist.

I can't believe someone actually uses that distinction as a measure of quality.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Going by the comments about the Father-son aspect being the biggest angle, I'm expecting for the story to give closure to the animosity between Jason and Bruce and bring it closer to the N52 version. I sure do hope red haired Jason rots on the comic book limbo though.

Or maybe they throw him in the crowbar factory and blow it up.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

This just in, people who draw comics aren't artists

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

First Bass posted:

I find the comparison between Quietley and JRJR unfair. They're not even in the same league.

I didn't make any statements on their respective levels of talent or differences between. Thanks for the opinion, still!
seriously though did you hold your pinky in the air as you posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

First Bass posted:

I find the comparison between Quietley and JRJR unfair. They're not even in the same league. JRJR is a cartoonist, Quietley is an artist.

Quietley is like my favorite comic book artist ever, I don't really care for JRJR, and this is still really insufferably smug and elitist.

• Locked thread