Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Master of the Universe crossover is strangely entertaining, but is kind of weird to see cameos and name drops for the old DCU when supposedly is the N52 DCU (The secret six were name dropped and snyder's joker makes an appearance)

The story of Orko's current status was kind of neat at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Space_Butler posted:

All-Star Western is cancelled.

DC is hell bent on trimming my pull list from them to nil.

This cancellation is itself cancelled. By which I mean we get more Jonah Hex.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Senor Candle posted:

Morrison still seems to have projects in the works.

Does Moz have anything coming up? DC or otherwise? Given the way Batman Inc. ended, it seemed like he's just as fed up with DC corporate work as he was with Marvel. (I wasn't in love with Happy, but the man's earned enough good will I'll give anything he writes a shot.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ElNarez posted:

This cancellation is itself cancelled. By which I mean we get more Jonah Hex.

YEE HAW!

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Does Moz have anything coming up? DC or otherwise? Given the way Batman Inc. ended, it seemed like he's just as fed up with DC corporate work as he was with Marvel. (I wasn't in love with Happy, but the man's earned enough good will I'll give anything he writes a shot.)

He's got three things coming for DC/Vert. A big out of continuity event called Multiversity, the Wonder Woman Earth One OGN and a new Seaguy.
Also a new Image limited series with Burnham.

I recall he said after Wonder Woman that he's retiring from corporate franchised superheroes.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 28, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

So lately I've been reading through the New 52 Captain Atom series and being surprised by how much I enjoy it. Book canceled too soon.

Has the good Captain popped up anywhere else since it ended?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Senor Candle posted:

Didio has been chasing that since he proclaimed that Countdown to Final Crisis was "52 done right"
Countdown was 52 done right, it's just that a $3 book that only showcases things that happen in other books is a thing no one should want to read.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Wonder Woman: Earth One. Or Wonder Woman: Trial of Diana Prince or whatever it's called.

Some of the black and white art by Yannick Paquette is out and it looks gorgeous.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Indie Rocktopus posted:

You should listen to his second appearance on Fatman on Batman, Kevin Smith's Batman podcast. He talks a lot about his upcoming Wonder Woman project and mentions Multiversity. Also I don't generally like Kevin Smith but the podcast is pretty good.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I've seen the pages for Multiversity and his Wonder Woman book but at this rate I'm not going to believe any of them exist until I'm holding it in my hands.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So I readed the Lois one shot and Lucy is lesbian/bisexual now or am I reading way too much into things?
No, I think they were implying that as well.

Also people should check out the one-shot because more of Lois (and General Lane) is always good.

PupsOfWar posted:

So lately I've been reading through the New 52 Captain Atom series and being surprised by how much I enjoy it. Book canceled too soon.

Has the good Captain popped up anywhere else since it ended?
Only in the Firestorm book's Takeover storyline (#13-15) and Legion Lost (#0, 13-16) as Captain Adym.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Waterhaul posted:

I've seen the pages for Multiversity and his Wonder Woman book but at this rate I'm not going to believe any of them exist until I'm holding it in my hands.

Remember at SDCC 2012, when DC announced that Multiversity would ship in late 2013? Yeah.

It's been over five years since Multiversity was announced, and I'm still not holding my breath. And I heard that Paquette has only completed something like 10% of the WW OGN?

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Waterhaul posted:

If the New 52 is DC hitting their ship dates on time, I'm fine with Morrison's upcoming books being this late.

I honestly wonder how much of the wait is just Quitely drawing the Charlton one shot. I don't know if that book will be worth the wait, but it will be gorgeous.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

I will put it in the same camp as new All-Star Batman and Robin issues.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Only in the Firestorm book's Takeover storyline (#13-15) and Legion Lost (#0, 13-16) as Captain Adym.

Haha, what? I checked just to be sure that wasn't a typo. Why?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cameron Stewart posted a panel from his issue of Multiversity on twitter:

I want to believe

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Well it looks a little bit further than Quitely's art was two years which is a start :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

fatherboxx posted:

Cameron Stewart posted a panel from his issue of Multiversity on twitter:

I want to believe

That's Captain Marvel. I would love it if they went more towards his old character again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's Captain Marvel. I would love it if they went more towards his old character again.

You and me both. :smith:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought Johns/Frank's Shazam! stuff was great. I'd really like that continuing series sometime this year.

ImpAtom posted:

Johns is one of the worst Captain Marvel writers I've ever seen. I recently went on a Captain Marvel comic binge and it just drove home to me how bad Johns is at understanding the character or getting why they work when compared to basically any of the other good writers on the character. There are a thousand things you can do with Captain Marvel that are more interesting than Johns bullshit.

What exactly was so bullshit? I just found a really solid and fun story in there. It was even a little heartwarming.

e: Sure, maybe it wasn't the best Captain Marvel story you've read. I'm pretty ignorant about past runs, but I'm way stumped about what in there could cause any large amount of vitriol.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 1, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought Johns/Frank's Shazam! stuff was great. I'd really like that continuing series sometime this year.

Johns is one of the worst Captain Marvel writers I've ever seen. I recently went on a Captain Marvel comic binge and it just drove home to me how bad Johns is at understanding the character or getting why they work when compared to basically any of the other good writers on the character. There are a thousand things you can do with Captain Marvel that are more interesting than Johns bullshit.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
My favorite BSS-ism is when someone states that there are a thousand better things that could be done with a given character, but deigns not to mention even a single one. It's always a thousand though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The thing with N52 Shazam is while 'Curse of Shazam' was really good and a neat take on the character, his few appearances on the JL are lacking that 'magic' than made it so great before.

It actually feels like 'Curse of Shazam' was an elseworld or something because it just doesn't mesh with the rest of the N52 (the whole bullshit with Black Adam and the Seven Sins are the most glaring example of that)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spacejung posted:

My favorite BSS-ism is when someone states that there are a thousand better things that could be done with a given character, but deigns not to mention even a single one. It's always a thousand though.

Marvel works because he is aspirational. Not aspirational in the way that Superman is but aspirational in the way that he is an avatar of future potential. A well-written Captain Marvel is optimistic not because jeez whiz golly holy moley but because he embodies a genuine childlike view of the world tempered by wisdom. He wants to do better in an unselfish and uncomplicated way and the best Marvel stories involve balancing honest genuine desire to do good with understanding that 'honest genuine desire to do good' isn't as simple a story as punching the bad guy until they go away and very often punching the villain isn't the solution.

Johns lacks the childlike enthusiasm necessary to really write Captain Marvel well. He is too cynical and too buried in the atmosphere of the DC Universe to make the character work. If you were going to do Captain Marvel in the new universe, especially as a backup story that doesn't have to sustain his own book, then he should be bright, optimistic and maybe even an out of place because when a kid thinks of superheroes, they're not thinking of the Nu52 atmosphere that heroes have.

This doesn't mean it has to be all bright sunshine and cheerfulness. There are countless Captain Marvel stories that deal with serious subject matter. The old Fawcett Marvel stories had plenty like that, including a surprisingly disturbing story where Captain Marvel dealt with a massive nuclear world war and could only watch helplessly as people died of radiation poisoning. The Power of Shazam had a story where Billy dealt with the fact that one of his battles left a friend of his horrifically burned and even his powers as Captain Marvel couldn't help him. You can do dark stories with a bright character but you have to be willing to dark for reasons beyond cynicism or a goofy desire to seem adult.

You want to know what I want to see?
This.

Or this

Not this

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 1, 2014

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Marvel works because he is aspirational. Not aspirational in the way that Superman is but aspirational in the way that he is an avatar of future potential. A well-written Captain Marvel is optimistic not because jeez whiz golly holy moley but because he embodies a genuine childlike view of the world tempered by wisdom. He wants to do better in an unselfish and uncomplicated way and the best Marvel stories involve balancing honest genuine desire to do good with understanding that 'honest genuine desire to do good' isn't as simple a story as punching the bad guy until they go away and very often punching the villain isn't the solution.

Johns lacks the childlike enthusiasm necessary to really write Captain Marvel well. He is too cynical and too buried in the atmosphere of the DC Universe to make the character work. If you were going to do Captain Marvel in the new universe, especially as a backup story that doesn't have to sustain his own book, then he should be bright, optimistic and maybe even an out of place because when a kid thinks of superheroes, they're not thinking of the Nu52 atmosphere that heroes have.

This doesn't mean it has to be all bright sunshine and cheerfulness. There are countless Captain Marvel stories that deal with serious subject matter. The old Fawcett Marvel stories had plenty like that, including a surprisingly disturbing story where Captain Marvel dealt with a massive nuclear world war and could only watch helplessly as people died of radiation poisoning. The Power of Shazam had a story where Billy dealt with the fact that one of his battles left a friend of his horrifically burned and even his powers as Captain Marvel couldn't help him. You can do dark stories with a bright character but you have to be willing to dark for reasons beyond cynicism or a goofy desire to seem adult.

You want to know what I want to see?
This.

Or this

Not this

Did you finish the Johns arc? He doesn't beat Black Adam by punching him. Also, I'm not sure it would be an improvement on the character if he spoke like Beaver Cleaver as in the case of your first example or like Martian Manhunter as in the case of your second example.

The archetypal millennial child is much more selfishly motivated than the conservative 50's or 60's button-up kid. Batson doesn't necessarily have to be written as the millennial archetype, but you have to admit it would present a strange contrast if he was presented as some kind of sainted boy scout.

As far as Captain Marvel as an aspirational character, any chance at growth for him was instantly derailed by Forever Evil (although his first act in FE was a selfless, childlike act that immediately backfired on Billy and the Justice League, I don't think you'd disapprove of it if you read it). It seems that the rumors of his solo series ever coalesced into anything unfortunately so I guess we'll have to wait to see what the next crack at him looks like.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spacejung posted:

Did you finish the Johns arc? He doesn't beat Black Adam by punching him.

Yes, he beats Black Adam in a much shittier version of how he (or rather, Uncle Dudley) beat Black Adam in the original Black Adam story. It is not just punching but it is Johns going for a reference and not doing a good job in it.

spacejung posted:

The archetypal millennial child is much more selfishly motivated than the conservative 50's or 60's button-up kid. Batson doesn't necessarily have to be written as the millennial archetype, but you have to admit it would present a strange contrast if he was presented as some kind of sainted boy scout.

The "archetypal millennial child' in that way is just the product of bitter adults sure that kids are getting worse. I work with children on a regular basis and they are not selfish little shits or perfect angels. They're kids. Approaching it from that perspective is exactly why Johns is wrong for the writing role.

There's a reason I'm not just referencing Fawcett Marvel but also Jeff Smith or Power of Shazam or the many other times Billy has been written in other ways. You don't have to do it Exactly Like Fawcett. I mean to some degree Fawcett's version of Billy is pretty far in the opposite direction because I assume kids were still kids even in the 50s. However you also can't view it from 'kids these days are just selfish" or something like that. That's an adult writing 'kids these days' and I can firmly say I think that is wrong for CM.

spacejung posted:

As far as Captain Marvel as an aspirational character, any chance at growth for him was instantly derailed by Forever Evil (although his first act in FE was a selfless, childlike act that immediately backfired on Billy and the Justice League, I don't think you'd disapprove of it if you read it). It seems that the rumors of his solo series ever coalesced into anything unfortunately so I guess we'll have to wait to see what the next crack at him looks like.

It's hard to judge that particular story because Forever Evil is sort of the definition of 'everything goes to poo poo,' unfortunately. I do like Billy's attempt to do something good but as you said it just sort of goes to hell.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 1, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, he beats Black Adam in a much shittier version of how he (or rather, Uncle Dudley) beat Black Adam in the original Black Adam story. It is not just punching but it is Johns going for a reference and not doing a good job in it.

Another problem with it is that Adam and Billy can say Shazam with out turning back to normal now. So it makes no sense how that would work on him.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A really great Shazam moment was during Joe Kelly's JLA, where Batman invites Captain Marvel into a replacement JLA. Billy freaks out about how cool it is to be Batman's pick, but then he changes to Captain Marvel to obtain the Wisdom of Solomon and declines.

Captain Marvel is best when he's not just Billy Batson in the body of a god, but a version of himself that contains both Billy's goodness and the experience of ages.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Let's tackle this from a different angle. Is Johns' take on Captain Marvel inherently bad, or just a bad fit for the character? What if he were writing a new version of, say, Prime?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

Let's tackle this from a different angle. Is Johns' take on Captain Marvel inherently bad, or just a bad fit for the character? What if he were writing a new version of, say, Prime?

I think the concept is not inherently bad divorced from Captain Marvel but I don't think Johns is the writer to pull it off. I also don't think Nu52 is the place to do it but that is neither here nor there.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Nah, there's no other writer who has Geoff Johns' mix of ultra-sincerity and sentimentalism and cynicism or his specific sense of humour who could make this version of the character work.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Adam Strange posted:

Nah, there's no other writer who has Geoff Johns' mix of ultra-sincerity and sentimentalism and cynicism or his specific sense of humour who could make this version of the character work.

The batteries on my sarcasm detector are recharging but for the record I like Millar's Superior more than this Shazam! arc. But I enjoyed both quite a bit. I think they'd both make for good film adaptations.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

spacejung posted:

The batteries on my sarcasm detector are recharging but for the record I like Millar's Superior more than this Shazam! arc. But I enjoyed both quite a bit. I think they'd both make for good film adaptations.

It wasn't sarcasm, Shazam is dope and it's probably the only New 52 thing I'd really go to bat for.

I remember reading Superior and thinking that it would be a lot cooler without the swears, good call on the comparison tho.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Justice League Canada's hidden character was revealed in Previews Magazine.
http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/post/78322521866/first-look-at-new-cree-superhero-in-lemires-justice

She's Cree (Native American/First Nations), inspired by a teenage activist who passed away, and that's all we know.

e:

Senor Candle posted:

They are assuming she is based off that person because she is wearing blue?

Added a link to Lemire's interview where he says she's the new character's inspiration.
I'd never seen that, or it being referenced whenever anyone was talking about the mystery Canadian, even though it's from October.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 2, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
They are assuming she is based off that person because she is wearing blue?
EDIT: Oh, it's because Lemire said she was.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
What's the "best" JL book right now? Did they all reboot at #1 with N52? I'm fairly lost.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I imagine it's going to be Justice League United once Lemire starts that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

pretend to care posted:

What's the "best" JL book right now? Did they all reboot at #1 with N52? I'm fairly lost.

Justice League 3,000 if only because Superman is brain damaged idiot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

pretend to care posted:

Basically. Green Lantern and Batman carried over a lot more backstory than the rest so that Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison could finish their overarching stories.

United should be good (It's by Jeff Lemire, who's been doing Animal Man, which is superb), but the best stuff hasn't been in the group books or events.
If you're on the ground floor, I'd cover the big heroes from 'Wonder Woman', 'Batman' and 'Action Comics' (Grant Morrison's 1-18, then Greg Pak's 25+. The middle's baloney)

Zakmonster posted:

Swamp Thing is also awesome, because Scott Snyder.

I think Soule's is even better.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 3, 2014

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I am enjoying World's Finest and Batman-Superman. The recent crossover between the two books was also pretty cool to read. Jae Lee's artwork on Batman-Superman is just amazing.

I've been sorta reading Forever Evil, but only because I heard that Nightwing is gonna end and FE is involved somehow Dick Grayson's identity is revealed to the world by Ultraman and Owlman wants to make Grayson his new sidekick/brother figure/lover (??). Mildly annoyed because I've liked the Nightwing run so far, but I'll wait and see what they plan to do with the character (aside from unceremoniously killing him off forever).

Swamp Thing is also awesome, because Scott Snyder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Madkal posted:

Justice League 3,000 if only because Superman is brain damaged idiot.

Well, intentionally a brain damaged idiot anyway.

JL3K is great, it's a shame review sites have been giving it such a bad wrap. It's a really solid satire of Johns' JL but also works as its own thing and is genuinely really funny whilst still having some fairly serious storylines.

• Locked thread