Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Got room for 1 more right now. I'll be playing all night though. msg cj coyo7e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Anime_Otaku posted:

Mostly they are demanding non premium Russians.

I still really want the French line, dammit.

I'm also prolly the only person who wants that line but still.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Anime_Otaku posted:

America has it's turreted TD line coming.

When this happens, get a T49 and a Hellcat. Good guns, good view range and the speed to run the hell away from a hairy situation.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Im A GPS Facial is my GT. I'll be on tonight, someone platoon!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So a question about concealment, is it being inside the bush that does it or is it parking yourself so you're behind it? I feel like i get seen a lot either way.

Also i must warn everybody against the M3 Lee, this thing is a goddamn nightmare to use effectivly since you're basically a tank destroyer with alot more mobility but less effective frontal armor. But if i wanted to play a TD and then i'd play one, i hate how the T1 Heavy is pretty good and i want to try out the M4 meaning i have to use this thing and slooooooowly grind up the XP.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So a question about concealment, is it being inside the bush that does it or is it parking yourself so you're behind it? I feel like i get seen a lot either way.

Also i must warn everybody against the M3 Lee, this thing is a goddamn nightmare to use effectivly since you're basically a tank destroyer with alot more mobility but less effective frontal armor. But if i wanted to play a TD and then i'd play one, i hate how the T1 Heavy is pretty good and i want to try out the M4 meaning i have to use this thing and slooooooowly grind up the XP.

Keep at it, the M4 is worth the grinding, it's my favorite tank still.. but yea, it's a pain in the arse to play with after getting so used to having a turret

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's based on a bunch of factors for you and whomever might potentially spot you, I believe. However to directly answer, I believe that you must be fully obscured by the bush, possibly up to and including your cannon's barrel (not entirely sure, because there's not a visibility checkpoint at the tip of the barrel). Being inside the bush is not as desirable as the bush blocking LOS for all of your tank body and cannon's visibility checkpoints, as I understand it. There is probably a partial camo bonus for bushes which're smaller than you (which you're fully sitting behind) but if any part of you sticks out through them, supposedly it negates the effect pretty much entirely. Apparently an individual tank's relative physical size also gives some camo bonuses, which would assumedly stack with using bushes and stuff.

Additionally when aiming toward a bush, its transparency changes as you get closer to "piercing" it. If you can't see through the enemy is also getting a camo bonus, but so are you. If it's opaque, you're getting a bonus and can see through. If it's basically transparent, then you're not getting jack. On the WoT forums, people talk about actually backing up by as much as 15 meters before firing, to make a bush become fully "solid" to them, and then they rely on wireframes to shoot through the bush, and supposedly keep as much camo bonus as possible.

And then of course if you're in a TD and wiggling around to be able to aim your turret, you'll show up pretty quickly if anyone's pointing toward you.

A note about being detected also: you only get the "Detected!" popup if you are facing the tank which can see you (or, I assume, if they're close and behind it would work, since there are view radii pointing in all directions from your tank, with forward being the most effective one) and they are also facing you - essentially "Detected!" means that you're already in the crosshairs not that you weren't visible until that moment. I've been using Sixth Sense lately and it's amazingly helpful for giving more warning, although I'm not sure if it functions similarly to Detected warnings, it definitely tends to give me several seconds' notice before the Detected popup occurs. I believe the targeting tank's camo is taken into account on how quickly you're warned of being detected, as well.

http://forum.worldoftanksxbox360edition.com/index.php?/topic/16004-the-detected-mechanic/

There are a ton of crew skills for camo and view range type stuff, so nowadays it's probably even easier to be detected, but also easier to focus on a totally stealth build on a tank and crew, as well.

If you want to delve into stuff that I'm too brain-dead to get into at 3am, try this on for size http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Battle_Mechanics#Camouflage (source of the "backing off by 15 meters" stuff I mentioned above, firing negates all cover object's camo bonus by a percentile, within 15m range)

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Battle_Mechanics#Visibility_Checkpoints

Also official youtube explanation of camo mechanics, http://worldoftanks.asia/en/news/21/explaining-mechanics-view-range-and-camouflage/ Contains some interesting stuff after the first 30-60 seconds. At 5 minutes they discuss bushes and rotating your camera to check how visible you are (R shoulder helps with this), and confirm backing off of bushes.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 7, 2014

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Patch 1.2 will be coming out on the 8th of May at around 4am pacific time / 11am UTC.
Contains: 2 maps, Fishermans Bay and Abbey
US Turreted TD line
Xbox360 exclusive content, which they are not divulging yet.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Sorry for double posting but 1.2 is out. The exclusive content is variants of current maps: Mountain Pass can now have snow falling, Malinovka, Mines and Cliff get rain while Prokhorovka, Abbey and Sand River may be about putting the "dead" in the phrase "the dead of night".
There is also a few new achievements associated with some of the medals, the package updates that have been coming are now in the game and of course the new TD line.
Edit: full patch notes here http://worldoftanksxbox360edition.com/en/content/about/Latest_Updates/

Played a few game and saw Abbey in both day and night forms, have yet to see Fisherman's Bay. Abbey looks like a nice mape for flanking moves against the middle of the map and the night version is pretty good too and there is some nice ambient sounds like owls hooting. Malinovka rain is actually in an apocalyptic thunderstorm with lightning, again looks nice but it was an assault match on defence so I didn't get to poke about much. Final "new" map I saw was Mountain Pass snow, it again is good visually, low light but it's not a blizzard.
Also played a few games in the first turreted TD since I didn't want to wait to be able to afford the Hellcat, looks like they'll be fun, I can kind of see why the Wolverine and Jackson were split off to the other line, it seems the new TDs will be speedier and perform nearer to mid speed lights than a medium tank

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 8, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Anime_Otaku posted:

Sorry for double posting but 1.2 is out. The exclusive content is variants of current maps: Mountain Pass can now have snow falling, Malinovka, Mines and Cliff get rain while Prokhorovka, Abbey and Sand River may be about putting the "dead" in the phrase "the dead of night".
There is also a few new achievements associated with some of the medals, the package updates that have been coming are now in the game and of course the new TD line.
Edit: full patch notes here http://worldoftanksxbox360edition.com/en/content/about/Latest_Updates/

Played a few game and saw Abbey in both day and night forms, have yet to see Fisherman's Bay. Abbey looks like a nice mape for flanking moves against the middle of the map and the night version is pretty good too and there is some nice ambient sounds like owls hooting. Malinovka rain is actually in an apocalyptic thunderstorm with lightning, again looks nice but it was an assault match on defence so I didn't get to poke about much. Final "new" map I saw was Mountain Pass snow, it again is good visually, low light but it's not a blizzard.
Also played a few games in the first turreted TD since I didn't want to wait to be able to afford the Hellcat, looks like they'll be fun, I can kind of see why the Wolverine and Jackson were split off to the other line, it seems the new TDs will be speedier and perform nearer to mid speed lights than a medium tank

Hellcat is generally considered to be a godlike invisitank of doom on the PC version. So that may be a worthwhile investment.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Man I'm kind of bummed that they put the patch in today since I just spent all my extra xp and silver on a couple of new tier 6 and 7 tanks. I have a STuG as an invisotank right now but I'd like to play with something a little different. :unsmith:

Darth Walrus posted:

Hellcat is generally considered to be a godlike invisitank of doom on the PC version. So that may be a worthwhile investment.
Wow, they REALLY made it easier for new drivers of a bunch of tanks. The T29 is a miserable boat to drive until you get that loving weapon

Also 5x experience rewards this weekend 9th-11th! And 25k bonuses for Top Gun (which is pretty easy to get.) :getin:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Wow, the rain effects look really nice, I'm impressed. And they did something to the UI fonts in a lot of places as well - the tier numbers in-game have serif font roman numerals now and it's about a million times easier to make them out without squinting, for me at least.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

After 3 Malinovka assault matches in a row in which I was on offense, I went and bought a tier 2 tank because sweet jesus assault sucks, and assault on Malinovka just makes me want to sit in a bathtub with a few razor blades and a bottle of sleeping pills.

Apparently Malinovka in particular is so bad that they removed it from the assault rotation on PC. I wish they'd do that with the 360 version of the game because it seriously hurts my overall enjoyment of high-tier.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cannot Find Server posted:

After 3 Malinovka assault matches in a row in which I was on offense, I went and bought a tier 2 tank because sweet jesus assault sucks, and assault on Malinovka just makes me want to sit in a bathtub with a few razor blades and a bottle of sleeping pills.

Apparently Malinovka in particular is so bad that they removed it from the assault rotation on PC. I wish they'd do that with the 360 version of the game because it seriously hurts my overall enjoyment of high-tier.
I played Assault on Malinovka 8 or 10 times the other day and never played Defense side ONCE. The next day I played on Defense about 4 times (and won on Offense, props to Cubivore and the pubbies alongside us!) and my team mostly ran off down the hill and died each time.

I wouldn't mind the game mode and map, if they could add some rotating capture points or something. Being forced to attack the most strategically-sound spot on the map is just crap, and it wouldn't be half as bad if you had a chance to attack the low ground somewhere, or, well, ANY other spot besides "right under the raining wall of death."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I'd be happier if they just removed assault entirely, because encounter is a way way better take on the idea of having one base on the map to capture. Or at the very least, introduce an option to opt out of games if it tries putting you in a mode or map you don't like, which is something else the PC has that we don't.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Malinkova on assault is a default win for the defense if they are competent players and organize well and do not immediately try to zerg rush down hill.

Weak sauce bud, i have yet to spend a single dime and have tier 6 and 5 tanks...although the grind on the Cromwell is wearing on me, the default gun is ATROCIOUS for a tier 6 tank, almost as bad as the Churchill grind.

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 8, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I didn't spend any real money if that's what you mean. I just went back and bought a tier 2 German light tank and started working on that line. Lower-tier matches are a nice way to blow off some steam, since it's a lot easier to be a lone wolf hero in tiers 3 and below, so it's not as irritating when you are stuck on a team of complete morons. It's why my El Traktor will never leave my garage, ever.

Speaking of awful guns, one of the German tier 4 light tanks, the Pz 38 n.A., starts you with a tier 2 flak gun. Tier 2. Flak gun. I don't think it's possible to make anything as utterly useless as that.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Speaking of awful guns, one of the German tier 4 light tanks, the Pz 38 n.A., starts you with a tier 2 flak gun. Tier 2. Flak gun. I don't think it's possible to make anything as utterly useless as that.

Yeah, that's another very rough grind.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Ok, I've played encounter modes and I've played standard modes, don't think I've yet seen an assault mode... or I might have, if the map has 3 green boxes and 3 red boxes on it.. but that doesn't fit the description I'm seeing elsewhere (one base, defenders vs attackers etc.)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

enri posted:

Ok, I've played encounter modes and I've played standard modes, don't think I've yet seen an assault mode... or I might have, if the map has 3 green boxes and 3 red boxes on it.. but that doesn't fit the description I'm seeing elsewhere (one base, defenders vs attackers etc.)
Assault always starts with one team on a single spawn and next to a base that's theirs, and the other team spawns opposite them in 2-3 spots and they have only 10 minutes to capture the point or kill the entire other team. Or they lose.

A lot of players will miss the loading screen telling them what game mode they're in and try to cap their own point that they need to defend, which is kind of fun to watch sometimes.

Its only real saving grace is that it's shorter than normal modes, so you don't have to suffer a long. Although that shorter time means that the offensive team can't wait to see if any defenders get bored either. :(

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

vivisectvnv posted:

Yeah, that's another very rough grind.

Not for me it wasn't, I just used some free EXP to get the next gun after a single round of bouncing every shot off of every tank.

enri posted:

The boxes are deployment points and I believe encounter has some maps with multiple deployments for each team, that's probably what you saw. Assault is a mode in which there is one flag held by the defenders at the start of the match, and the attacking team has to move in and take that one flag while the defenders can sit in bushes and not get seen while they rain death on the attackers. Even on the better balanced maps, the defending team has to really gently caress up for the attackers to win, but on Malinovka the defending team has to consist entirely of the worst players ever for the attackers to have any shot at all of winning, and even then it's a very uphill battle.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Not for me it wasn't, I just used some free EXP to get the next gun after a single round of bouncing every shot off of every tank.

Even with the fully upgraded gun, that tank is a grind, mostly because you get scout matched to games with tier 6 and 7 tanks, where they can just blow you away with one shot.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Assault always starts with one team on a single spawn and next to a base that's theirs, and the other team spawns opposite them in 2-3 spots

The boxes are deployment points

Aha, well that explains that then... thank you both :)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

vivisectvnv posted:

Even with the fully upgraded gun, that tank is a grind, mostly because you get scout matched to games with tier 6 and 7 tanks, where they can just blow you away with one shot.

I didn't have much of a problem with it when fully upgraded. It's quick enough that keeping lateral motion to the enemies shooting at you can help keep you alive for a good amount of time, while you get a decent amount of spots on enemy tanks. It's terrible at actually fighting, but oh well, so are most light tanks that aren't the Chaffee.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
I loved the covenanter, the fully upgraded gun had decent punch and a super quick reload.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

That's how it usually goes whenever i play, i drop down to my Stewart tank and then i end up being spotter/free kill for sombody when it throws me into a III/IV/V match and i'm sure everybody else appericates the free one shot kill.

Meanwhile whenever i get to play on my T1 Heavy it's always a same tier/1 tier above fight, making it totally fair.

It's totally not fair :(

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

coyo7e posted:

For instance, the AT2 has a small machine gun port just off-center on the front, which is a square-shaped depression marring an otherwise nearly impenetrable piece of heavy, angled plating:

That appears to be a T14, not an AT2. Otherwise great writeup, thanks!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Goddamn the Hellcat is a lot of fun, and even with just one gun upgrade I'm packing a 7th tier weapon so I can mostly do damage to anything I happen to spot. I foresee a renaissance in TD play in my future, after all the fun I've had moving through the british and american medium and heavy lines as well as german mediums.

Hellcat is worth the 930k silver though and frankly if you wanted an articulated turret that badly you probably were working on its pre-reqs anyway. :D

Premeditated Toast posted:

That appears to be a T14, not an AT2. Otherwise great writeup, thanks!
Sorry, when I was writing that post up, I had about ten or so tabs open with different tank images from different sites, as I tried to find one which was reasonably simple to glance at for a quick understanding, and which wasn't completely covered in obscure glyphs and terminology. ;)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

coyo7e posted:

I foresee a renaissance in TD play in my future

You and most of the Europe server :v: first game last night, 9 TD on our side, 11 on the other :what:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

enri posted:

You and most of the Europe server :v: first game last night, 9 TD on our side, 11 on the other :what:
Luckily it's really fast, has terribly bad armor, and it's super light so it'll blow up if you ram anyone in it. Most of those people will really hate it and/or rush far forward and die quickly a dozen times before giving up on it.

-Tier 6 Chaffee with a tier 7 weapon potential, and a camo bonus.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 9, 2014

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

coyo7e posted:

Sorry, when I was writing that post up, I had about ten or so tabs open with different tank images from different sites, as I tried to find one which was reasonably simple to glance at for a quick understanding, and which wasn't completely covered in obscure glyphs and terminology. ;)

Oddly enough I ended up facing off against a T14 tonight and I remembered that graphic, so no worries :D

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Any rhyme or reason as to when you get the 5x bonus this weekend? I get it maybe every fifth game or so.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ape Agitator posted:

Any rhyme or reason as to when you get the 5x bonus this weekend? I get it maybe every fifth game or so.

The bonus is applied only once per day and it's when you win a game.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Once per day per tank, surely?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

pun pundit posted:

Once per day per tank, surely?

Yes, although it's normally only 2x aside from this weekend.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Well that completely explains it :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It also seems to be way less than a 24 hour increment as well.. I swear I've gone out for an afternoon or taken a nap and turned on the game and all my tanks had their multipliers back within a few hours, sometimes.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
That could be due to where you live, I'm pretty sure the devs are on the east coast.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Anime_Otaku posted:

That could be due to where you live, I'm pretty sure the devs are on the east coast.
No, I mean that they seem to reset at weird times, and faster than every 24 hours. I live on the West Coast so it's not like that poo poo kicks over at 3pm for me or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
For those goons who've been having a terribad time trying to talk to pubbies in-game, try using an artillery. Start the match off by saying "Hey this is X, I'm your artillery and I'm starting off by aiming at the left/right/center/etc," and then keep up a commentary.

I've been getting a ton of platoon invites and messages from people saying "I've never heard anyone with a mic who was actually useful and helpful". I also apologize for kill-steals, but usually get 3-5 kills a match as an arty who calls out what they're trying to hit over a mic.

• Locked thread