Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The real issue is how much of the foundational matter of superhero comics, with the most recognizable characters and likelihood to be adapted as screen media, comes from an era when having Black characters was controversial, homosexuality was considered a mental illness, and the audience would believe a heroically-competant male child more readily than a heroically-competant adult woman.

Like, the original seven members of the Justice League include two aliens and a dullwitted employee of the Police Moonmen, buy only one lady.

Also, six white people and one green person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Squizzle posted:

That part of the contract specifically allows Spider-Man to be gay if Marvel has portrayed him as such, which, for comparison, the "grew up in Queens" and "raised by Aunt May and Uncle Ben" parts don't allow. The leaked contract provisions indicate a particular concern about keeping the critical influences of his upbringing and early experiences faithful to the established mythos. Sexual orientation is a p. significant aspect of forming one's identity, especially for a character with so much teenage romantic melodrama.

A queer Spider-Man would be swell, but the "Peter Parker: a straight dude" provision is entirely consonant with the rest of that leaked section of contract.

Eh you can have the melodrama either way, none of it's really that tied to orientation.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yeah, but these contracts date from, what, 1990-something? Being a young a gay guy implies a significantly different romantic and social context back when these deals were written.

Also, you have to change up the dynamics between Pete and Gwen and Mary Jane and whoever his romantic interests end up being (Harry? Hobie Brown?), which draws you away from the established mythos again.

Please note that I'm not saying that the established mythos is sacrosanct, just that the contract in question seems framed with particular concern that the films remain faithful to it in some specifics. Given that, I think the must/mustn't list at least makes sense.

e: And again, they build in an out for the progression of culture: If Marvel has depicted Peter Parker, the Spider-Man as gay, then Sony becomes free to go to town—Gay Town. Population: Spidey.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

His love Interests would obviously be Mario-Joe Watson and Gin Stacy, after he breaks up with Bobby Brant.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash
Is the clause that no Spider-Man can be gay or just Peter Parker?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Which LGBTQA superhero/villain has had the most mainstream visibility? I'd say Iceman, but I'm unsure how many non-comics fans would be aware that he's gay. I know the Bruce Timm stuff was fairly committed to a romantic valence between Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy but frankly I have no clue what the current state of their characters is.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm sort of taken aback that the Avengers movies got away with being a team of straight white people. Have any of the big comic book movies of the past decade or so had characters that weren't depicted as anything other than hetero? I know Bucky and Captain America, as well as the younger movie Professor X and Magneto have robust shipping communities-- why not just pull the trigger, rejigger their initial ages in WWII, and have a Bucky and Cap that were a couple? It's not like the world's going to be worse off for missing out on a scintillating Sharon Carter subplot.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 21, 2016

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Archyduke posted:

Which LGBTQA superhero/villain has had the most mainstream visibility? I'd say Iceman, but I'm unsure how many non-comics fans would be aware that he's gay. I know the Bruce Timm stuff was fairly committed to a romantic valence between Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy but frankly I have no clue what the current state of their characters is.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm sort of taken aback that the Avengers movies got away with being a team of straight white people. Have any of the big comic book movies of the past decade or so had characters that weren't depicted as anything other than hetero? I know Bucky and Captain America, as well as the younger movie Professor X and Magneto have robust shipping communities-- why not just pull the trigger, rejigger their initial ages in WWII, and have a Bucky and Cap that were a couple? It's not like the world's going to be worse off for missing out on a scintillating Sharon Carter subplot.

The Winter Soldier is already a movie all about how much Steve loves Bucky, what more do you want?

The real answer is that we're not going to see a gay lead in a tentpole blockbuster for a long while because despite the leaps of social progress that have been happening in the past decade, there's still a large portion of the population, domestic and international, who wouldn't see a gay hero, and that cuts into the bottom line, which, with ever inflating budgets, is the God of franchise movie making.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Archyduke posted:

Which LGBTQA superhero/villain has had the most mainstream visibility?

I think Northstar and Loki are the most visible on Marvel's side (maybe Hercules counts? Abnett went and hosed that up a bit) and Batwoman and Alan Scott on the DC side. Not exactly A-listers.

Archyduke posted:

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm sort of taken aback that the Avengers movies got away with being a team of straight white people.

They've been kinda slammed about that in some circles, and the books have been double slammed when the Heroic Age launched like 2 Avengers books with only white straight people in the teams.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Archyduke posted:

I know Bucky and Captain America, as well as the younger movie Professor X and Magneto have robust shipping communities-- why not just pull the trigger, rejigger their initial ages in WWII, and have a Bucky and Cap that were a couple? It's not like the world's going to be worse off for missing out on a scintillating Sharon Carter subplot.

While I'd need to refresh my memory for these specific examples, one reason for a lot of these shipped pairs is that at one point or another, they were depicted as working together while the sidekick of the pair was a minor. This feeds into the "gay people are pedophiles" stereotype and as such is reasonably to be avoided. The safest, most backlash-free approach is to establish new characters, and once their staying power is confirmed, depict their sexual orientation as co-incidental. If you're lucky, the character might not wind up in the hands of a homophobe who will promptly kill them off!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah it could work for X and mags but it would not work for how cap and Bucky are usually depicted.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Archyduke posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm sort of taken aback that the Avengers movies got away with being a team of straight white people.

You are taken aback by the fact mainstream audiences don't really give a gently caress about minority representation and that media still loves pretty white people? Is that because you've been living in a homosexual commune inside a cave for the past 40 years?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Boogaleeboo posted:

You are taken aback by the fact mainstream audiences don't really give a gently caress about minority representation and that media still loves pretty white people? Is that because you've been living in a homosexual commune inside a cave for the past 40 years?

At least with AoU they aren't all lilly-white any more.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

e: And again, they build in an out for the progression of culture: If Marvel has depicted Peter Parker, the Spider-Man as gay, then Sony becomes free to go to town—Gay Town. Population: Spidey.

Leaked plot info for next Spider-Man movie

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Man whoever does those edits are horribly unfunny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They were a lot funnier 12 years ago.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
I dunno, I am a big fan of the phrase "gay for sex" and trying to understand what the gently caress it means.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

I dunno, I am a big fan of the phrase "gay for sex" and trying to understand what the gently caress it means.

as opposed to gay for companionship or gay for health benefits I guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's weird looking at them as 90% of the punchlines are the word gay. Like not even anything about. Being gay just the word itself.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My introduction to Deadpool was the old Marvel trading cards. Apparently I picked up The Circle Chase mini series when it was out. I hope I still have them and didn't let one of my rear end in a top hat friends borrow them and not get them back. I'm going to have to look this afternoon and reread them if I've got them.

I think I'm going to need to spring for an Unlimited account and read the new series.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I wrote a bunch of stuff about what constitutes as Deadpool's rogues gallery. Mostly a bunch of one-off obscure characters he fought.

And now I realize that I never talked about T-Ray in the STAH.txt thread. I need to rectify that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm both sorry you had to write about Evil Deadpool and mad you made me think about Evil Deadpool.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm both sorry you had to write about Evil Deadpool and mad you made me think about Evil Deadpool.

:same:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gavok posted:

I wrote a bunch of stuff about what constitutes as Deadpool's rogues gallery. Mostly a bunch of one-off obscure characters he fought.

And now I realize that I never talked about T-Ray in the STAH.txt thread. I need to rectify that.

Cool stuff! I kind of like that Deadpool doesn't have an immortal endless rogues gallery like Batman or Spidey. It reminds me of Judge Dredd in that way, the majority of Dredd's great villains end up dead. Keeps it fresh. I'm glad T-Ray wasn't overused.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

You should probably stay away from the latest issue of Mercs for Money.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I can't believe YOU of all people made such an obvious blunder as calling Francis Ajax in the article.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marvel announced that Mercs for Money will now be an ongoing. Probably not for long, but I'll definitely take more. I like the team.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

X-O posted:

Marvel announced that Mercs for Money will now be an ongoing. Probably not for long, but I'll definitely take more. I like the team.

Same. They're a fun crew.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

Same. They're a fun crew.

Stingray is one of those D list heroes that I always like whenever he shows up so I like having him around. And I'm really starting to enjoy Solo a lot.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Archyduke posted:

When I want to watch a movie a am a typical traditional action hero type, white male with to many big guns, explosions lots and lots, hot chick which can also be the hero instead but gets the girl still, and some crazy super villian that monologs to much. I don't see myself going for a gay super hero movie unless it is Deadpool gay on spiderman but still need my boobies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm currently writing a history article on Agent X, which means rereading the series, and the end of #7 is inadvertently sad in a hilarious way.

Simone does a six-issue intro arc built on her brief Deadpool run. In Agent X, she introduces Mary Zero, a mutant teen girl whose power is being unnoticed by everyone no matter what she does. She has a huge crush on Alex, mainly because he's the only person who can perceive her. She ends up helping him out to tie up a loose end, but otherwise doesn't really do much. Then in #7, with Taskmaster refusing to join Agency X and Outlaw having to leave town for a bit, Mary pops in to grab Alex by the arm and go, "You'll never be rid of me!"

And that's her last comic appearance ever.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gavok posted:

I'm currently writing a history article on Agent X, which means rereading the series, and the end of #7 is inadvertently sad in a hilarious way.

Simone does a six-issue intro arc built on her brief Deadpool run. In Agent X, she introduces Mary Zero, a mutant teen girl whose power is being unnoticed by everyone no matter what she does. She has a huge crush on Alex, mainly because he's the only person who can perceive her. She ends up helping him out to tie up a loose end, but otherwise doesn't really do much. Then in #7, with Taskmaster refusing to join Agency X and Outlaw having to leave town for a bit, Mary pops in to grab Alex by the arm and go, "You'll never be rid of me!"

We should write a folk song about Mary Zero, or something, gotta pay tribute. I liked Agent X in high school, I don't remember her so her superpower must be legit. That is a funny, lots of fun little characters like that who go poof.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Gavok posted:

Wonder if she's related to that "everyone forgets about me" mutant from the 2014-15 X-Force run? IIRC he shows up in another X-book, probably Wolverine and the X-Men because it happened at the school.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Gavok posted:

I assumed she was still around.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Soylentbits posted:

I assumed she was still around.

She lost her power due to Wanda

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That appearance in #7 was the last issue before Gail Simone got kicked off the book. It was followed by five issues of fill-in teams and they rarely ever touched on anyone who wasn't Alex (and when they did, it was Evan Dorkin deciding "Alex and Sandi should start loving"). Marvel was just going to end the series on a Daniel Way issue, but then they decided to give Cable/Deadpool a shot and that meant wrapping up Agent X's mystery and putting Deadpool back on the table. Simone and UDON were brought back to do three more issues to wrap things up and the cover showed the five main heroes with the message "WE'RE BACK!" This included Mary Zero.

Mary wasn't even referenced in those three issues.

Apparently, in a book of Deadpool character profiles, it mentioned that she was depowered after M-Day, so that's the end of her.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Ygolonac posted:

Wonder if she's related to that "everyone forgets about me" mutant from the 2014-15 X-Force run? IIRC he shows up in another X-book, probably Wolverine and the X-Men because it happened at the school.

he was also in X-Men Legacy previously.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Gavok posted:

Apparently, in a book of Deadpool character profiles, it mentioned that she was depowered after M-Day, so that's the end of her.

At least it was a happy end. On the list of powers you'd want to lose hers was up there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Oh wait, looks like that wasn't her final appearance in a comic. Here's the last image from the final issue of Agent X.

I only now noticed her on the side.

(I still miss UDON Taskmaster)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ooooh, that's what it stands for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

X-O posted: