Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Lord Frisk posted:

From what I can gather, Gauntlet is worth spending the money on ...? I like Duggan and Posehn and have a copy of the first issue, but I was unsure if I should invest real money on it. Does it deliver in a bang/buck sort of way?

It's the first Infinite Comic where I can say, yeah, each issue is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The wedding issue was great. Though who would have guessed that Mark Waid would have written the lamest of the backups?

Looks like Simone and Tieri had to pull double duty, I suppose from other writers pulling out last minute.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
When did Nightcrawler come back from the dead?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

i like tacos posted:

When did Nightcrawler come back from the dead?

Amazing X-Men. They literally went to heaven and brought him back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The first Simone backup was good, the second one was fuckin' dire though, jeez.

Great issue though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Man that issue was so good. I didn't care for most of the stuff after the initial story, but god drat it was good. I just love seeing good things happen to Wade with no immediate consequences.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
It was great seeing them go through the Deadpool eras that I thought were lost in time (and with good reason).

That early 00s Weapon X storyline for example.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I could definitely stir some poo poo up about Palmiotti's story, but why bother. Most of the rest of the issue was great, except Mark Waid's part which was just boring.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Was that weird shapeshifting Smurfette (not Mystique) that recurred in some of the backup stories a reference to something in the past/a character I should know? Or was that foreshadowing for a future arc?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's Copycat, Deadpool's abused love interest from way back when he was a straight up X-Force villain. The climax of his very first mini-series was that scene where he saved her but she told him they couldn't be together anymore. Apparently he didn't take it too well!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Deadpool vs. Carnage is turning out to be more fun than I expected. Mainly because it's nice to see somebody actually get under Carnage's skin for once.

There's a part where Shriek's face gets smashed through a windshield as Carnage screams for her and Deadpool's response is, "AWWWW YEAH! FRIGDING!" That's not an actual expression, right? Like, he was really supposed to say "FRIDGING!" and they hosed up. Because that's kind of a hilarious line.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I didn't even notice the typo, FRIDGING! made so much sense. I think Deadpool is in fact legit celebrating that he just killed a female character to piss her boyfriend off.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm guessing this series is going to end with another way to deal with symbiotes - I think DP is going to get Cletus so impossibly angry that the symbiote is gonna pull a 'gently caress this, I'm out' moment when it realizes it's going to get itself killed staying latched on to him. And that moment will be hysterical.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The last two pages of the latest issue made me feel super warm and fuzzy inside, then giggle like an idiot straight to pure :smith:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

When Posehn and Duggan leave Deadpool, I hope they give the series to Chris Hastings. Every time he's used the character, it's been gold and Deadpool Annual #2 is no different.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gavok posted:

When Posehn and Duggan leave Deadpool, I hope they give the series to Chris Hastings. Every time he's used the character, it's been gold and Deadpool Annual #2 is no different.

I was kind of figuring Acker and Blacker were being groomed for it, but they are doing Tbolts now. After their first annual I wouldn't mind seeing them have a crack at the main series.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

I was kind of figuring Acker and Blacker were being groomed for it, but they are doing Tbolts now. After their first annual I wouldn't mind seeing them have a crack at the main series.

I'd like to see Matt Fraction or Jason Aaron do it, but that's probably unrealistic. Charles Soule would be good too.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anyone who doesn't like Deadpool Annual 2 is not a good person.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought it was alright, but nothing special.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EVGA Longoria posted:

Anyone who doesn't like Deadpool Annual 2 is not a good person.

Deadpool posted:

I thought it was alright, but nothing special.

Post/av/quote combo.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
In #1 who's the guy going around resurrecting dead presidents?

Also, I never thought Deadpool was actually that funny until I read these first couple issues. Are most of the issues in this run as good as the first few?

srypher fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 23, 2014

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

He's a shield operative. The series gets better after the president arc.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's a new guy, same with the SHIELD people you'll be seeing this arc, so don't worry, they're just being introduced this arc.

And yeah, if you're liking these issues then get ready because you're going to loving love what comes after.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's a new guy, same with the SHIELD people you'll be seeing this arc, so don't worry, they're just being introduced this arc.

And yeah, if you're liking these issues then get ready because you're going to loving love what comes after.

Yeah, the president arc dragged on a bit too long in monthlies, but everything afterwards has been golden.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, the president arc dragged on a bit too long in monthlies, but everything afterwards has been golden.

And even it was an amazing improvement over what Deadpool had been for a while in his own series.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I agree with the Deadpool Annual #2 sentiments. Deadpool posing as an established hero is always good for a laugh, having him go up against Chameleon is even better.

Chameleon's tactics in this issue work best against someone with a conscience; Deadpool doesn't have one. The finale page was the cherry topping the sundae.

I have this really bad feeling that when Posehn's off the book Deadpool will get divorced or something.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 26, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even Deadpool doesn't think it's going to last.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Even Deadpool doesn't think it's going to last.

No I don't. But it's a fun read while it lasts.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Man. NOT a fan of the art in this week's issue.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Gavok posted:

Yeah, agreed wholeheartedly. This felt mostly like a filler issue, despite some plot twists.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

Something that's been plaguing several books I like otherwise lately.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't really recall the art other than it looked like the motion was a bit more warped. However you can tell that this issue was shoehorned into the Original Sin story. There was about two pages to that plot and that's it. Deadpool clearly cares more about Dazzler and the vampires plot. It seems like they just reworked the subplot about his daughter into this issue. But the issue seemed to be a bit disorganized to me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, the art was definitely lacking, seemed more like a bad Cracked backup filler than what we're used to. So, to wash the bad taste out of my mouth I went and re-read the Annual again.

I liked the little touches in how DP wears the Spidey costume, especially how the Spider cowl still had the little tuft in the back of the head that his normal costume has.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So I just got into Deadpool (and comics in general, for the most part) recently because of the Posehn/Duggan run, which I absolutely love. Apparently the other good collections would be Deadpool Classic 2-4 and I think 8 because those are the Joe Kelly and Gail Simone runs. If I like the current run so much, is there anything else that's similar besides what I've already mentioned?

Also, it was announced on Twitter that Paul Scheer and Nick Giovannetti are doing the Bi-Annual in September.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Cable and Deadpool is good, and Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force has Deadpool on the team and is really good. Daniel Way's Deadpool isn't good (with the exception of the issues he fights Bullseye)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Also, it was announced on Twitter that Paul Scheer and Nick Giovannetti are doing the Bi-Annual in September.

Didn't we get two Annuals this year already? Shouldn't this be a Tri-Annual?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So I just got into Deadpool (and comics in general, for the most part) recently because of the Posehn/Duggan run, which I absolutely love. Apparently the other good collections would be Deadpool Classic 2-4 and I think 8 because those are the Joe Kelly and Gail Simone runs. If I like the current run so much, is there anything else that's similar besides what I've already mentioned?

Definitely Cable and Deadpool, the entire series. I think it's very similar in tone to this Posehn/Duggan run and it's my personal favorite run of the character. Though this one may take its place once all is said and done.

Also the Suicide Kings mini by Mike Benson which is one of my favorite Deadpool stories.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What are you, some sort of Deadpool expert?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

IUG posted:

Didn't we get two Annuals this year already? Shouldn't this be a Tri-Annual?

Nerdist - EXCLUSIVE: PAUL SCHEER AND NICK GIOVANNETTI TO WRITE MARVEL’S DEADPOOL BI-ANNUAL THIS SEPTEMBER

And thanks for all the feedback, folks.

EDIT: gently caress me, sorry about the double-post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What are you, some sort of Deadpool expert?

Well, I have read almost everything he's appeared in. So, maybe? I'm just sayin' that if you like Posehn and Duggan you'll probably like what I suggested for you.

• Locked thread