Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Read Deadpool and Deadpool: The Gauntlet. They're very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

Two words to explain why to read this week's Gauntlet: vampire Grimace

With last week's issue of the main series, I really liked that little moment where they put Deadpool on the operating table and he had to power through how uncomfortable he was due to experiencing Weapon X/Butler flashbacks. That was really well done.

Deadpool is firing on all cylinders lately. I hope The Gauntlet makes it into a TPB. Though I admit it would lose a bit of presentation. They'd done some good jokes with the transitions.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Gauntlet has been so good so far. I'm gonna miss it when it concludes next week. The Infinite format works great with Deadpool. Also I've said it before, but I really wish Reilly Brown was drawing the main title. It's not like I dislike who we have now (especially on the flashback issues) but Brown is pretty much my ideal Deadpool artist.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought it was alright, but nothing special.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Even Deadpool doesn't think it's going to last.

No I don't. But it's a fun read while it lasts.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

Man. NOT a fan of the art in this week's issue.

Something that's been plaguing several books I like otherwise lately.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So I just got into Deadpool (and comics in general, for the most part) recently because of the Posehn/Duggan run, which I absolutely love. Apparently the other good collections would be Deadpool Classic 2-4 and I think 8 because those are the Joe Kelly and Gail Simone runs. If I like the current run so much, is there anything else that's similar besides what I've already mentioned?

Also, it was announced on Twitter that Paul Scheer and Nick Giovannetti are doing the Bi-Annual in September.

Definitely Cable and Deadpool, the entire series. I think it's very similar in tone to this Posehn/Duggan run and it's my personal favorite run of the character. Though this one may take its place once all is said and done.

Also the Suicide Kings mini by Mike Benson which is one of my favorite Deadpool stories.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What are you, some sort of Deadpool expert?

Well, I have read almost everything he's appeared in. So, maybe? I'm just sayin' that if you like Posehn and Duggan you'll probably like what I suggested for you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Don't listen to that guy. Deadpool MAX is awesome.

Don't listen to this guy. He's trying to make you fall into the Deadpool MAX trap. "Deadpool can curse now, how can this go wrong?" :cripes:

I admit I only read the first three issues before I had enough though. So maybe they saved it in the end. I doubt it. Plus the art was rear end ugly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

As a general rule, if a MAX series went on for longer than one trade, it's pretty good. If it got cancelled very quickly, don't bother.

For example The Eternal. I don't know what was going on there but holy poo poo what little I read of that was bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So I finished Deadpool Classic #9 and...what? Deadpool dies (yes, I know) halfway through the book, then we get Agent X for the remainder. Don't get me wrong, I liked the character, but he was similar enough to Wade that my question is "Why?" Why did they get rid of Deadpool (I read sales were in the toilet) just to replace him with someone that was almost a facsimile that everyone thinks is Wade anyway?

I think either there were rights issues or they just wanted an X in the title (Cable's solo book was also renamed to Soldier X at about the same time). I don't know where that volume leaves of, but without ruining it for you it's not exactly what it seems. If you don't care about spoilers then Agent X is not Deadpool. He's a new character that was created out of Black Swan, Deadpool, and one of Black Swan's henchmen. Basically it's the henchman's body with parts of Black Swan's and Deadpool's personalities and abilities mixed into it. I really wish he would show back up in the Deadpool books every once in a while.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TheJoker138 posted:

Way used him and made him really fat.

Yeah. I know. :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, it is, but I was just being polite to the guy that's trying to catch up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Thanks, I appreciate it, but you don't have to worry about spoiler tags. I figured Agent X wasn't Deadpool and I'm glad that's not where they went with it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the character, it just seemed like a really strange decision. His antagonistic dealings with Taskmaster and his relationship with Outlaw were a lot of fun.

Obviously I haven't read Cable & Deadpool yet, but I'm guessing something happens with the whole Deadpool Inc. organization and folks like Sandi disappear and/or get killed at some point being that none of that exists by the time of the Posehn/Duggan run over the last few years.

Outlaw is definitely a lot of fun and I think should be a rotating member of the Deadpool supporting cast. Crazy Inez is always welcome in any Deadpool story as far as I'm concerned. I feel the same about Bob too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Hydra Bob storyline (basically the last arc or two of Cable and Deadpool) is among my favorite Deadpool stories ever. I just love everything about those last few stories.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Captain America one is also Deadpool teaming with 90 year old Cap. Which should be amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought the Hawkeye vs Deadpool book was really fun. Can't wait to read the rest. As far as I'm concerned Duggan can write Deadpool forever and I'll be fine with it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

You know things are hosed up when even Sabretooth feels sorry for you. :drat:

When I saw the first page with Sabretooth I laughed heartily at his ridiculous '90s hair. That was glorious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soylentbits posted:

Didn't Sabertooth kill Deadpool's ex? Shouldn't they hate each other more? I have not read anything about the two recently.

This was a flashback issue set in the Marvel '90s. Starring Sabretooth's Hair, Deadpool, and Alpha Flight's amazing overly expository introduction. Listed in order of importance of course.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 11, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deadpool Bi-Annual was great. Also Gavok you left out the recent Deadpool annuals. The one with Madcap was fantastic, I didn't care much for the other one even though it seems I was very much in the minority on that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

After reading the first issue of Art of War I have to say that Deadpool and Peter David are two things I like that do not work well together. That issue sucked.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I seriously want Duggan to write Deadpool forever. The Death of Logan issue with Cap was fantastic. Those last couple pages were pretty amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

RIP Jason Latour.

Also least surprising moment of all time: Jason Aaron hides a sword in his beard.

That was such a fun issue.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gerry Duggan and Reilly Brown are teaming again and bringing back a bunch of the characters from their great Deadpool: Dracula's Gauntlet series. Including Marcus the Diabetic Werewolf Centaur Symbiote!

http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/exclusive-mrs-deadpool-and-the-howling-commandos-enter-marvels-battleworld

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man if that's the end of the Duggan era what a way to go. I hope Duggan comes back after Secret Wars. And writes the title for five more years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Binary Badger posted:

Seems kinda stupid to kill off a character that's going to get a major movie released.

They didn't really kill him off. That's the joke. Secret Wars just happened at the end of the issue.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

Also, I'm really leaning towards ranking Duggan/Posehn over Kelly and I feel bad about it.

Don't feel bad about it. I would too. Duggan/Posehn, then Nicieza, and then Kelly. That's how I'd do it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

Fair enough. Meanwhile, here's who I have penned for the bottom 5:

20) Rob Rodi: Identity Disc was poo poo.

19) Duane Swierczynski: His two minis were completely vanilla and he had one sequence in Wade Wilson's War that was so unfunny that it actually made me angry.

18) Frank Tieri: Weak run outside of that really sweet funeral issue. Otherwise a handful of decent ideas that never landed.

17) Victor Gischler: "Man, Deadpool sure is WACKY! ...That's all I got."

16) Daniel Way: Had some flashes of brilliance and strong stories early on, but he never knew when to quit and stayed on for far too long with the stories getting worse and worse.

I don't know that I'd place Way that low, but good calls on the others. Lapham would definitely be at or near the bottom for me though. And Peter David I love you man, but you write a poo poo Deadpool.

I almost feel like Mark Waid is the hardest to judge of all because his Deadpool was at a time when there wasn't really much to Deadpool at all. It almost feels like a different character at some points. I think that way of most Pre-Kelly appearances though.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 12, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I definitely think Bunn is one of the better writers for Deadpool. No he didn't start out great with the character but he's written it for so long now, even though all through minis, that he's gotten a pretty good handle on the character. I think his Night of the Living Deadpool and Return of the Living Deadpool are really good stories. Outside of the main long term series writers, excluding Way, he's probably my second favorite after Mike Benson. But that's because Suicide Kings is one of my favorite Deadpool stories period.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, but I think it's almost worth it for the annual where Acker and Blacker resolved them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Howling Commandos book is confirmed as an ongoing for after Secret Wars. I will greatly enjoy all eight issues before cancellation.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

All I know is that I will gladly support the ongoing adventures of Marcus the Diabetic Werewolf Centaur Symbiote.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

khy posted:

So the best way to proceed from here is to pretend that T-Ray never existed at all?

The whole thing with T-Ray and the "Real Wade Wilson" is actually addressed a few times. Nicieza handled it best in Cable/Deadpool. Which I think was the best run the character ever had. The Duggan run may well be better, and honestly it probably is, but I need to read through it one more time too. I've read all of Cable/Deadpool a few times through.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Joe Kelly and Ed McGuinness are coming back to Deadpool for a limited time and they're bringing Spider-Man with them.

http://comicsalliance.com/kelly-mcguinness-spider-man-deadpool/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's a fun interview with Duggan on the new volume of Deadpool. Says they have a road map for the series where it'll end up being about as long as the last one. So it looks like Duggan is going to be writing Deadpool for a while. Which is a prayer answered for me. Also he touches on Deadpool and Steve Rogers being buddies now and how it connects to Uncanny Avengers which he is also writing.

quote:

Yeah, Steve is definitely a part of Deadpool's life. That began to take shape in "The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly." I think their friendship began there in the same way that Logan and Rogers's friendship began back in the [Mark] Gruenwald-scripted Cap Annual. Steve promised that Wolverine would never be an Avenger; words that would later mocked openly in the Marvel Universe. [Laughs]

We continued telling the story of Steve and Wade in the "Death of Wolverine" one-shot. Now, after the eight month jump you'll see Wade and Steve in "Uncanny Avengers" [which Duggan is also writing], and you'll see Steve in the pages of "Deadpool" from time to time as a supporting character.

Deadpool has really over-extended himself, so Steve is trying to help because Wade is trying to help Steve. Steve's Avengers are partly funded by the money that Deadpool earns in merchandising and licensing.

Anyone interested in Deadpool and Old Man Rogers should not miss "Avengers" this October. Each new Avengers title has an original story in the book to set the table for the Earth's Mightiest Heroes. The Uncanny Avengers story in that issue is another chapter in the friendship of Wade Wilson and Steve Rogers.

Captain America is my favorite superhero period, so having him be a big part of Deadpool's story is great for me. I love their awkward friendship.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/interview-duggans-deadpool-deals-with-the-pressures-of-high-profile-heroics

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 4, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nicieza and Reilly Brown are doing a 6 issue digital sequel to Cable and Deadpool in December.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/nicieza-brown-reunite-for-new-deadpool-cable-split-second-series

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kheldarn posted:

Mrs. Deadpool And The Howling Commandos was another 4 issue mini-series. I could have sworn I read somewhere that it would become an ongoing.

As a bonus, the end tells us that Deadpool Volume 4, Issue 1 will be out in November.

Also, does anyone know when Spider-Man/Deadpool is supposed to start?

Mrs. Deadpool was Secret Wars tie-in, not an ongoing. I think they just kind of kept up the ruse of "this is the new status quo!" when announcing it to go along with Secret Wars. Spider-Man/Deadpool has been stated to be an ongoing and will start I think in either November or December.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's from Avengers 0 and is a preview of Uncanny Avengers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Looks like I have a new favorite Deadpool cover.

I also love the chrome outline on the 2099 issue cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This could and probably should go in the movie thread, but I'm posting it here instead. Ryan Reynolds and Tim Miller gave an interview on the Deadpool movie. It's full of fun stuff like this question.

quote:

Reynolds: We wanted a lithe and kind of a little more slippery than the big beefcake kind of thing..

Something that’s kind of a classic Liefeld character design is the pouches and I notice that you have the pouches.

Reynolds: I have the pouches. And I have feet (LAUGHS)

Reynolds confirms feet!

http://collider.com/deadpool-ryan-reynolds-tim-miller-interview/

And here's an interview with the writers:

http://collider.com/deadpool-rhett-reese-paul-wernick-interview/

And here's another on Colossus:

http://screenrant.com/deadpool-colossus-russian/

• Locked thread