Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Good games, Baal. Sorry about the quick end there, my C button stopped working for a bit and I don't want to push my luck too much with it, especially with Terumi.

You figured out the two things I can't do pretty well though, that being block DPs and break throws. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I dunno what happened, but I just cannot seem to seal the deal against Terumi as Ragna. I managed to get you down a few times, but whether it be my lack of combo knowledge or just downright making stupid decisions, I lost a lot more than I felt I should have. Like I what to do in certain situations, but poo poo. Oh well, always room for practice.

On the non-gameplay side of things, this story mode is significantly shorter than previous ones and thank god for that. I haven't finished it yet, but I've got almost 66% percent or so and I've only been going for about 10 hours, that is not a good thing though this poo poo is still too drat long to unlock Kagura. That being said, every time Azrael shows up I get excited because DC Douglas' voice is fantastic. "IT'S A BUFFET" has to be about one of my favorite deliveries so far.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Yeah, I dunno what happened, but I just cannot seem to seal the deal against Terumi as Ragna. I managed to get you down a few times, but whether it be my lack of combo knowledge or just downright making stupid decisions, I lost a lot more than I felt I should have. Like I what to do in certain situations, but poo poo. Oh well, always room for practice.

Against Terumi the answer is often hold down back, because he can't do much about it in general, at least that Ragna can't punish with ID.

Part of me can't wait for english translated story mode, because I know that no ENG voice can be more horrid than some of the JP ones.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This game is pretty funny how it treats some characters that were novel only. Like it tries to give summation of what happened in the Phase 0 Novel in the last two "Teach Me, Miss LItchi" segments, but not only does it not say a lot they just decide to cram the novel into the Six Heroes' side of the story anyways. Konoe and Celica are both really horrible. Konoe is an even more obnoxious Kokonoe and Celica is like... the mariest of the mary sues in this series. Like I remember people calling Noel a mary sue, but she doesn't just jump into the story and becomes beloved by everyone, that is Celica and she has no personality. Quite a few of the new characters don't matter either really, Bullet shows up to be fodder for Azrael: Azrael's a giant plot device (He's awesome though), and Amane kind of might have some knowledge of what's going on? He's really weird.

I have to commend Mori, that man is dedicated to adding more and more bad characters to this series that already has too many moving parts in the story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wait, did you just imply Kokonoe doesn't rule?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Wait, did you just imply Kokonoe doesn't rule?

Kokonoe is every lovely observer character I've seen in anime although more foul-mouthed and insufferable. She will literally do completely horrible things and then Tager will call her a good person for no reason. She had loving nukes in the last game that they barely acknowledge in this one (Hakumen was PISSED about that) and in this game she straps a bomb into Ragna's arm and constantly threatens him with it. Like there's a bunch of bad characters in Blazblue, but the observer characters are really horrible, like exceptionally terrible. You have to try to make characters as bad as them.

She's also broken as poo poo in gameplay, but that'll be fixed pretty soon, thankfully.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I can't hear you, it's the continuum shift!

But no to me the BlazBlue plot is an incomprehensible string of nonsense from the beginning so I just focus on the dialogue itself and a lot of it is pretty fun, and Kokonoe's foul-mouthed and 'gently caress off' schtick is one of the funner ones to me. Like her putting a bomb into Ragna's arm is the kind of poo poo I go through the story modes for to begin with.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Blazblue's serious segments are awful, but the characters are actually pretty fun when they're not being dragged down by the mess of the plot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the characters would be a lot of fun if they weren't pigeonholed into specific roles to play when the actual fun stuff happens. Some of the comedy segments are great (Ragna, Rachel and Relius' gag endings in CS are all hilarious), but man when they try to like... do tit jokes, cosplay stuff, and anything that's not like casual goofy humor, it's just really terrible. The dialogue of Blazblue is especially baffling, because sometimes there are some really funny lines but there's so much loving exposition and text it's hard to actually care to read. Characters like Kokonoe and Rachel are loving terrible, because they are the main offenders as exposition fairies with insufferable personalities where they tell everyone to shut up and listen to them despite them never being helpful.

Maybe this is my own fault because I actually enjoyed the Blazblue story when I was younger so I payed full attention to it and as a result somehow understand it so I grow to dismay most of the cast when they are all bad characters with the exception of like two characters. I can enjoy some of the more fun personalities, but even they run dry at some point (Terumi is the biggest offender of this).

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I mostly get annoyed with the plot because they've shown they can actually do good scenes. Ragna's bad end from CS and Old Man's Tale are both actually really well done sequences. But the writers are so obsessed with the inane exposition and random time-travel devices that they don't actually ever get to go anywhere.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finished the story mode and I can finally try out Kagura, christ. So that ended with about as much fanfare as is to be expected. Take-Mikazuchi is a boring boss fight, Terumi just kind of dies, Relius is demoralized but in the like the most deflating way possible and Saya possesses Ragna, oh wait it turns out the real villain is Death itself and not Saya. It's like a recurring joke at this point that all of these stories must end with the reveal of "BUT THE VILLAIN WAS X ALL ALONG" for whatever bad reason Mori can use to continue it. Nonetheless, I hope they finally loving add Jubei in the next game, some stuff near the end of the game leads me to believe both him and Konoe are becoming playable in the next iteration (I mean the next actual game, not an update). If they aren't, well whatever.

So I've gotten to try out Kagura a bit more and while he's not exactly... spectacular, I find him a lot less boring than I did before. Hopefully with his changes in the new patch I might like him a bit more, we'll see. As for now I need to work on my Ragna and try to beat Unlimited Mars, despite how futile of an effort that may turn out to be.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I see they've done a lot to this series since I checked out roughly three months into CS, because they've actually made blazblue a pretty fun game instead of total poop from a butt.

Maybe I'm just biased because Relius is the best character but the game feels a lot better then I remember it being.

anyway I'm pretty bad at this game still but if ya'll wanna throwdown my psn is darealkooky-

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 27, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Against Terumi the answer is often hold down back, because he can't do much about it in general, at least that Ragna can't punish with ID.

This is pretty much true. Either down-back or up-back, and there's not too much Terumi can do in either situation. He gets between jack and poo poo for damage/meter off of aerial combos, and if you're down-backing, you just need to switch as soon as you see him jump. At that point, he really can't do anything.

For you, specifically, though, you went to the well on ID waaay more than necessary, and once I got a hold of your habits, it was easy to bait it, same with wake-up throws. Also, don't mash 2A on wakeup or to try and fill gaps in pressure strings. Terumi's 6B (the knee to the gut) can just invincible through that poo poo and get you a nothing but a Fatal counter and 4k damage. Similarly, trying to 2A after blocking Terumi's 236D (the green dash) or 6B is a bad idea, seeing as 6B is quite + on block and 236D makes a passable frame trap with a handful of his supers. Trying to get a jab in in those situations will probably just get you counter hit.

Also, if you see a dumb gimmick like 5D (OD) 5D > Chain super, and you can't block it, that's because it is indeed unblockable/unbarrierable. The normal version of chain super can't be regularly blocked, and the OD version can't be barrier blocked. It's a dumb gimmick, but it's fun.

Edit: Also, be careful while teching during the stomp special or 6D (the kick into swipes). If you tech the wrong way during either one, you'll get caught up in the end of the move and get automatically reset.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 27, 2014

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Orgia Carnaval posted:

...she straps a bomb into Ragna's arm and constantly threatens him with it....

Working through the story, one of my favorite "bad ends" thus far is when Rachel puts the eros glasses on Rawrgna and Kokonoe tries to replace his arm with one with an engagement ring on it. That whole section was hilarious.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did understand what not to do after a while, but a big problem with my playstyle beyond me just being predictable is I kind of panic and hope to get a punish that's just not there. I also have a habit of trying to punish attacks in the middle of them which led to the 6B wrecking my poo poo more than it realistically should have. I see a lot of the problems I made, but unfortunately they're mostly instinctual or habitual so I need to break those by being calm and trying to think rather than letting my movements run on muscle memory and random guesses. Also I need to see everything OD can do with Ragna, whenever I would use it and get a hit and it did something I wasn't used to I couldn't respond and what could've been a big combo potential was wasted because I just realized Hell's Fang can wall bounce.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
6B is not actually a good tool against Ragna as you can ID it on reaction if he doesn't cancel it. I believe you can also punish 236D with a standing jab, but either way 236D does not leave Terumi at advantage.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, there's a lot of poo poo you can disrespect on block with Terumi (6C, 2B, sometimes 5D), but 2D and 6B aren't them. Usually, Terumi will be trying to keep offensive momentum going at any and all costs, because losing it means going back to neutral (or worse, trying to get out of pressure), neither of which he has good tools for. This leads to doing dumb poo poo like risking taking a DP to the face in the hopes keep the pressure up, so it can be worth the reversal gamble. And, of course, a bunch of Terumi's stuff is gonna be nerfed once the patch drops, so there will be a lot more gaps to exploit once that drops. :smith:

I am curious about what you thought about my performance though. There's only so much I can gather from watching replays without feedback from the opponent on what they thought I hosed up/did well.

(Also, my C button is still hosed up even after replacing it. Please don't be a PCB/wiring problem.)

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Oh I agree that Terumi needs to keep momentum or he's screwed. It's more that both 6B and 2D can be ID'd during startup before the actual attack connects on reaction. Generally I find instant j.2D's out of a jump cancel 5C or 2C a better option for keeping pressure. You can still disrespect it and hit him, but it's much more difficult and may require an instant block if you're doing them properly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno what to really say, you took advantage of all of Terumi's stuff and got me with some dirty stuff. Although throwing out a counter super like you did sometimes is a pretty big gamble and I caught you trying to ride with that quite a few times. I also noticed you falling for my Gauntlet Hades quite a bit whether it being while you were crouching or whenever I would delay it so I could hit the follow up kick at the last possible second. In general a lot of my stuff that was delayed really caught you off guard and you probably need to make sure I've committed to something before taking a swing at me. You also became predictable after a while with how you'd react on wakeup with meter, if I ever even gave a hint I was going to put pressure, you'd respond with a super and half of the time it worked and half of the time it didn't, when it did it was entirely my fault.

I think you using 5D and j.D a lot worked to your advantage though, at mid screen the best response I have to that is 5C and even then that won't really beat Terumi's 5D. Trying to get in on you from the air is tough too because of Terumi's 6A being a super good anti-air. I also don't think I can really respond to Terumi because Ragna's best anti-air is 5C which takes more time to use than 6A which by the I make the input I've missed my chance. Other than that I dunno what to really say, I need to practice some more myself and stop acting like an idiot with things I know not to do.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Ah gently caress, did they take away my ability to turn the Astral Heat BGM off????

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I like the additions they made to Tager though, his new air poo poo is super rad

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Oh hey, a blazblue thread. This is my kinda place.

I'm a litchi player who doesn't practice, but if you want to go a few rounds, add knk_motoh and just throw me an invite when I'm on.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
So sat down in challenge mode for awhile. Got super frustrated. Really just thinking about defaulting back to Noel. I think I am just missing the "memorize combos" part of brain.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

lokipunk posted:

So sat down in challenge mode for awhile. Got super frustrated. Really just thinking about defaulting back to Noel. I think I am just missing the "memorize combos" part of brain.

Stuff in Challenge mode generally isn't super practical beyond mission 20 or so. It's mostly there to show you ways that stuff CAN combo as opposed to what you should do. Just find one combo you can confidently land on midscreen and one combo you can do in the corner that ideally ends with super and focus on those. Once you have those down you might start to pick up on alternative combo pathways naturally.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Stuff in Challenge mode generally isn't super practical beyond mission 20 or so. It's mostly there to show you ways that stuff CAN combo as opposed to what you should do. Just find one combo you can confidently land on midscreen and one combo you can do in the corner that ideally ends with super and focus on those. Once you have those down you might start to pick up on alternative combo pathways naturally.

A friend of mine got me playing skullgirls recently which has a really helpful subreddit with beginner combo flowcharts which really helped me.

Partly I think my mistake was really wanting to play Rachel.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, Rachel is a very bad character to pick as either a beginner or someone who isn't used to handling complicated characters. If you're new I'd recommend someone like Jin or Noel. Those characters are simple enough to understand them right away, but have enough upward mobility so they don't hit a glass ceiling when you begin to understand them. Well, Jin doesn't hit one, Noel's just outright simple.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Start playing with Carl :getin:

(also is there really no way to turn off the Astral Heat BGM?)

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Spiffo posted:

(also is there really no way to turn off the Astral Heat BGM?)

I could swear I saw an option somewhere.

I am not exactly "new" to the series, I just never had any real urge to get any better at it. Mostly due to the group of people I used to play fighters with being mostly unimpressed with BB:CT and going back to Guilty Gear in a few days.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

lokipunk posted:

A friend of mine got me playing skullgirls recently which has a really helpful subreddit with beginner combo flowcharts which really helped me.

Do you have a link to these? Most flowcharts I've found exist just to mock how simple certain characters are.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Spiffo posted:

Ah gently caress, did they take away my ability to turn the Astral Heat BGM off????

Nope, its in Options -> Game

Of course only horrible people would ever disable it.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Nope, its in Options -> Game

I saw "DEFAULT" and "ARCADE", but no "OFF"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Spiffo posted:

I saw "DEFAULT" and "ARCADE", but no "OFF"

Oh snap, well I did see the button but never bothered touching it. Well that seems silly

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So yeah, Kokonoe is confirmed to being released next week. I hope you guys get your fill of her before she gets her nerfs.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I'm really new to the series, and the only thing similar to this I've played is P4A. You can add my PSN to the list as AlexSanteria. I'm eyeing Azrael or Kagura, but of the characters I've tried I was able to do the most challenges with Ragna. Any help picking up the game and mechanics would be great,

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Orgia Carnaval posted:

So yeah, Kokonoe is confirmed to being released next week. I hope you guys get your fill of her before she gets her nerfs.

Kokonoe nerfs just take her from SSS tier to S tier, don't they?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

What's Kokonoe gonna cost?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

Yeah, but that's enough. She shouldn't be nerfed to the ground, just made good instead of godlike.

Gutcruncher posted:

What's Kokonoe gonna cost?

We don't have a price yet. I assume it'll be around 3 bucks since she was 300 Yen in Japan.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

darealkooky posted:

SS tier, she's still leagues better than the rest of the cast. Give 'em a few versions to get it right.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Do you have a link to these? Most flowcharts I've found exist just to mock how simple certain characters are.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Skullgirls/comments/1kgo88/ye_olde_flowchart_repository/

Don't know about any of the charts not for Valentine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyone got any good Azrael tips? I've got some of his stuff down, but fighting with him on footsies feels a bit difficult. I know his 5C is good for mid-range pokes and 5B is a solid anti-air, but beyond that I don't really know if he has many options in the air or any good pokes at close range.

• Locked thread