Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I got the first volume of Wicked and Divine from another bundle and wound up picking the rest up and blasting through. Starts a bit slow but there's a bit of a twist at the end of the first arc that changes the whole status quo up in cool ways.
Are the others good? Even having read that one might be worth it for the other books. I have vol 1 of phonograph from another bundle and will probably wind up tracking it all down again anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Retro Futurist posted:

I got the first volume of Wicked and Divine from another bundle and wound up picking the rest up and blasting through. Starts a bit slow but there's a bit of a twist at the end of the first arc that changes the whole status quo up in cool ways.
Are the others good? Even having read that one might be worth it for the other books. I have vol 1 of phonograph from another bundle and will probably wind up tracking it all down again anyways

DIE is loving excellent so if you already like Wicked I'd at least pledge enough for the first volume (I think Humble Bundle's let you upgrade later if you want)

If you like the first volume of Phonogram the rest is probably good, I don't have the same affection for Brit Pop that they do, being a decade younger and not British.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wish Humble would get a reader app. I just have my iPad and no computer so it's a real pain in the rear end to get this stuff going.
Although I haven't been able to get the gaming app working right for months so maybe I should be careful what I wish for

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Retro Futurist posted:

I wish Humble would get a reader app. I just have my iPad and no computer so it's a real pain in the rear end to get this stuff going.
Although I haven't been able to get the gaming app working right for months so maybe I should be careful what I wish for

I’ve downloaded the PDFs directly to my iPad, when they’re available.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

Get Chunky for your iPad, and setup a SMB share. It's like $5 for that function, but it's worth it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm on android, but Humble Bundle comics are generally in both CBR/CBZ format and PDF and there's gotta be multiple options for both on iPads.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I use cloudreader and it means I have to download the cbz/cbr files individually, then open them in cloudreader and wait for them to load, then back out to do the next one. It's not the end of the world or anything but it winds up taking 3-5 min per book

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This is my Chunky setup on my iPad. These are all Humble Bundle or Comixology DRM free downloads. The menu in the top right is browsing my SMB share on my NAS, but you can of course share from any computer you have. All the covers you see behind that are the comics downloaded to the iPad. It couldn't be easier once you have it setup, and it's worth the few bucks to browse your network.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Y'all seem to have missed where they said they don't have a computer.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I did miss that!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I use cloudreader and it means I have to download the cbz/cbr files individually, then open them in cloudreader and wait for them to load, then back out to do the next one. It's not the end of the world or anything but it winds up taking 3-5 min per book

I put cbz files in a single folder and read them and when I'm done it automatically loads the next one alphabetically, which means i occasionally need to rename poo poo or back out and find the next book manually but that never takes more than a minute.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My biggest problem with Humble Bundle comics is there is no real bulk download option. If you buy 30 comics in a bundle their "bulk" option opens 30 download windows

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Uthor posted:

Y'all seem to have missed where they said they don't have a computer.

They can downloaded PDFs directly to their iPad. I’ve done it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

lifg posted:

They can downloaded PDFs directly to their iPad. I’ve done it.

I can download the cbz/cbr files directly as well, that's not the issue, it's when I'm trying to download a bunch of them it becomes a huge pain

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
I've bought a couple of humble comics bundles (and will probably get the gillen/mckelvie one) and haven't downloaded them, I was wondering about a couple of things but couldn't find an answer on their website.

Is there a time limit between buying and downloading?

And can you only download your purchase once? It is would be handy if I could download, read, then delete and download it again if I felt like rereading rather than storing several gb of comics.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Pat Mustard posted:

I've bought a couple of humble comics bundles (and will probably get the gillen/mckelvie one) and haven't downloaded them, I was wondering about a couple of things but couldn't find an answer on their website.

Is there a time limit between buying and downloading?

And can you only download your purchase once? It is would be handy if I could download, read, then delete and download it again if I felt like rereading rather than storing several gb of comics.

As far as I know the answer is no to both. I bought stuff years ago and it shows up in my library.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It doesn't expire and you can download them as many times as you want.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Cheers! That's what I was hoping for.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
currently using a work system with IT policies that don't permit me to install programs without an admin login. is there a CBR/CBZ reader I can run without an installation?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FoneBone posted:

currently using a work system with IT policies that don't permit me to install programs without an admin login. is there a CBR/CBZ reader I can run without an installation?

Huge pain in the rear end, but cbz and cbr files are literally just renamed zip and rar files so worst case scenario you can change the extension to either .zip or .rar and open them normally and you've got a bunch of numbered jpgs

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
e: sorry im a dumbass, i forgot mcomix doesnt need an install

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mcomix/

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

site posted:

e: sorry im a dumbass, i forgot mcomix doesnt need an install

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mcomix/

much obliged.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More humble comics bundles: Scary Manga from Kodansha

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh, for anyone who was wondering how Marvel Unlimited was gonna handle comics being canceled for a month then only having a couple books every other week for most of the summer, they just released what looks like everything they published from may through September 2. Assuming they don't re instate the delay somehow it looks like Unlimited is gonna be on a 5 week delay for new comics instead of 6 months.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Oh, for anyone who was wondering how Marvel Unlimited was gonna handle comics being canceled for a month then only having a couple books every other week for most of the summer, they just released what looks like everything they published from may through September 2. Assuming they don't re instate the delay somehow it looks like Unlimited is gonna be on a 5 week delay for new comics instead of 6 months.

I believe it was done in mistake because they are no longer there.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Yeah, earlier this week, you could read Taskmaster #1 in full. (It's good!)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uh, looking again it's just a small selection of more recent books.

And they added a bunch of adaptations of classic literature first published in the 70s

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

Uh, looking again it's just a small selection of more recent books.

And they added a bunch of adaptations of classic literature first published in the 70s

I'm going to check these out! I see some good names attached to them: Moench, Romita, Mcgregor.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Marvel have buy one, get one for free sale at Comixology, which can be combined with sales on Namor, some Spiderman and Star Wars.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 9, 2020

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Marvel Unlimited announced that they have reduced the delay for additions to 3 months after release.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I was thinking of signing up for Marvel Unlimited and DC Universe ( or whatever their service is called), and this will probably push me to pull the trigger. Now to see what Black Friday brings.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cross post from the marvel thread:

Now that DC are adding this with the Infinite update, what are the odds that Unlimited ever adds the ability to make custom reading lists? Doing anything but reading a sequential single series in it is currently a loving nightmare.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vince MechMahon posted:

Cross post from the marvel thread:

Now that DC are adding this with the Infinite update, what are the odds that Unlimited ever adds the ability to make custom reading lists? Doing anything but reading a sequential single series in it is currently a loving nightmare.

Can those custom lists be shared? That's where the real value is. I have a couple things I keep listed in my phone copied from here in BSS to remember the convoluted order of events or following long character runs. If it could just be clicking on someone's list and bookmarking it that would be a dream. Here's How to Follow Jonathan Hickman pre-Secret Wars.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lobok posted:

Can those custom lists be shared? That's where the real value is. I have a couple things I keep listed in my phone copied from here in BSS to remember the convoluted order of events or following long character runs. If it could just be clicking on someone's list and bookmarking it that would be a dream. Here's How to Follow Jonathan Hickman pre-Secret Wars.

I'm really, really hoping they can be. It hasn't launched yet and they haven't said, but if it's like the old list functions they currently have... Maybe?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Honestly, I don't see anything but net benefits for doing it. I imagine writing about a run, making a list, and sharing it would be excellent marketing for the service. Can share that poo poo on reviews, blogs, social media, links in podcasts and videos, etc.

Or having artists and writers pinning lists to their bios.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I've pirated comics that I had access to on Unlimited just because it made the reading order easier.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Someone start the bss google docs

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

site posted:

Someone start the bss google docs

That's... Actually a good idea.

Can one link to individual issues on Unlimited?

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

All-Winners #14
Yes, but I don't know if the web access would be many people's preferred reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Links to newspaper websites like the New York Times will direct you to read the article in their app, so it’s not an impossible task.