Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've fired off a complaint email to Comixology. Likely just screaming into the void, but figure if there's a shot of me adding to a chorus that someone at Amazon might listen to, I may as well. It's not so much the tighter integration that I'm mad at, that was always coming and fair enough, it's the fact that the Kindle store is organised so badly for someone browsing in the way that any comics fan (or bookstore browser in general) would. It feels like an entire storefront organised like the front part of a bookstore which is the bestseller lists, the celebrity books and the '1001 Things to Blank' crap, plus a table of whatever clearance poo poo the manager wants rid of. Y'know, the poo poo you walk past before going to the shelves for the stuff you actually want to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Yeah, they really need to update a ton of stuff about buying and searching for comics, or else digital sales numbers will drop like a rock compared to Comixology figures and rather quickly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Been a while since I asked, are there any good Windows programs that act like Plex for downloaded comics? I've been using the Cover app from the Microsoft store, and it's pretty nice but doesn't have a lot of options/customization.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Medullah posted:

Been a while since I asked, are there any good Windows programs that act like Plex for downloaded comics? I've been using the Cover app from the Microsoft store, and it's pretty nice but doesn't have a lot of options/customization.

Komga is attempting to be Plex for comics. It's pretty good and it's being actively developed, so its progressively getting better all the time.

https://komga.org/

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Does anyone know how to search Kindle/Comixology by age range or grade level? They have this nice metadata attached to a lot of the graphic novels but I can't find a way to filter by it and it is annoying when I'm looking for stuff to read with kiddo.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dsmif posted:

Komga is attempting to be Plex for comics. It's pretty good and it's being actively developed, so its progressively getting better all the time.

https://komga.org/

Komga has really nice UX, but it comes with one big caveat: the only folder structure it understands is "<series>/<issue>" and apart from that it absolutely depends on having proper document metadata embedded in the files. In particular, there is no way to browse by filesystem structure, or derive metadata other than series/title from directory path or filename, so unless your library is already structured like that you will have to make sure all your files are properly tagged.

If that works for you, it's pretty nice; it doesn't work for me, so I use Ubooquity, which is worse than Komga in quite a lot of ways but does, critically, let you browse the library by filesystem structure.

I've also heard of lanraragi but haven't had a chance to try it out and have no idea if it's any good.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So I don't wanna do kindle or frankly anything Amazon
What's out there for the not dc/marvel digital?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Without comiXology, your choices are limited. Humble Bundle is still good, but random and rare. Image closed their store. 2000 AD has a store. I think Archie does. I'm not sure if the stuff in the OP is still functioning. Your local library may have a digital service. (note to self, check the new local library to see if they have a digital service!) Panel Syndicate is limited to their (pretty good) offerings. Whatever you get from backing Kickstarters. Indie people may be selling stuff ala carte on their websites.

I don't follow manga too closely. I think they have their own stores. Pretty sure Viz has a subscription service.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 29, 2021

vkeios
May 7, 2007

For manga, most of the publishers sell on every major ebook store and sometimes Bookwalker as well, so its not too hard to avoid Amazon. Some small publishers like Denpa have their own web store for DRM-free downloads as well. Kodansha randomly puts stuff on Humblebundle.

Viz's subscription service is for Shonen Jump titles, so its limited in what kinds of comics you get.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Marvel lets you buy comics directly from them. And their subscription service adds everything with a 3 month delay plus a massive back catalog.

Haven't actually bought anything from them so it might be just a comixology code or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Marvel's comic store is just a custom frontend for Comixology, yeah.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

vkeios posted:

Viz's subscription service is for Shonen Jump titles, so its limited in what kinds of comics you get.

Also the service won't let you read the "mature" series in the app (unless you buy the volume), you have to read them in a browser.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh this is awful. I mean I know comixology was bought by amazon ages ago but I've been kind of pushing it to the back of my head but I guess I cant ignore it anymore. A real shame, it got me back into buying and reading comics, and I guess I'll fall out of that habit with this, losing work and pandemic stuff already put comic purchases at the bottom of my list, this might be the nail in the coffin, lmao.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ugh this is awful. I mean I know comixology was bought by amazon ages ago but I've been kind of pushing it to the back of my head but I guess I cant ignore it anymore. A real shame, it got me back into buying and reading comics, and I guess I'll fall out of that habit with this, losing work and pandemic stuff already put comic purchases at the bottom of my list, this might be the nail in the coffin, lmao.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Anyone wanna read Lone Wolf and Cub?

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...Ul_Y3L_HYaEM-Es

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Are they left to right or right to left? I'm way too old and it hurts my brain to read right to left on a longer work.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Don't know! You can flip them in an image editor! (I joked before realizing that it would gently caress up the text)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh, just so people remember, if you care about the charity that's getting some of the money, go to the custom sliders for how the money is divided, the default options give barely anything to the charity

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wow, haven't used them in a long time and the defaults are way skewed from before!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So, Lone Wolf & Cub is one of those classics that I see mentioned all the time but know very little about, and I've never even heard of the other stuff listed there. Is it still worth reading today, coming at it with neither nostalgia nor academic interest in the evolution of the form?

Skwirl posted:

Are they left to right or right to left? I'm way too old and it hurts my brain to read right to left on a longer work.

I found some sample pages that I think are from this edition (Dark Horse 28-volume) and they're flipped, so they read left-to-right.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 16, 2021

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Good lord, that's approaching 20,000 pages of comics for $25.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

So, Lone Wolf & Cub is one of those classics that I see mentioned all the time but know very little about, and I've never even heard of the other stuff listed there. Is it still worth reading today, coming at it with neither nostalgia nor academic interest in the evolution of the form?

I found some sample pages that I think are from this edition (Dark Horse 28-volume) and they're flipped, so they read left-to-right.

I've read the first couple volumes before (probably physical copies of the same Dark Horse release) and Lone Wolf and Cub is absolutely worth reading if you like action comics with a nice dose of heartwarming father stuff. Really good action sequences.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

In the new Marvel Unlimited app, you can follow series, but can you get notifications when there's new issues? Or at least sort them by when the latest issue came out? I only see alphabetical and order that you follow them in. And no indication if there's a new issue out without checking each title.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Not that I've found either. I like the idea of subbing to a series essentially, but it's weird they didn't make a pull box of some sort.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The new UI for unlimited is good in some ways, and absolute dog poo poo in most others. It seems like they designed it for people who specifically read on their phones and nothing else.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I read only on my phone but I'll take more features, please :)

Also it's really annoying that the app does not know that my phone has a notch so the image is partially obscured.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It displays full screen on my iPad. Under the notification bar. The clock, etc, show up over the pages. It's not a problem with pages with white borders, it's absolutely an issue with black borders or, worse, full bleeds.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Mine is side loaded on a Kindle 10 and it seems to be just right. Really close to a physical page size.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Comixology's Black Friday deals include a lot of trades for $1 or $2 apiece, it's pretty insane value from the evil empire.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Its bread and circus to distract the masses!

Delicious, delicious bread...

Edit: Oh, it even includes Once & Future..

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 24, 2021

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Humble Bundle having a Ed Brubaker bundle if one enjoys gritty film noir.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/ed-brubaker-image-comics-books

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

Just a reminder to everyone thinking about this, make sure to manually change the payout percentages, the defaults, even the one that's supposed to be the most supportive of charities, completely gently caress charities.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

I saw 3 unread posts in this thread, and thought probably not worth checking. Then I remembered sitting on new posts in the past, and missing bundles. Better check in case there's a new bundle. Score! Thanks. I read the fade out, and thought it was awesome. Perfect buy right here for me.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Just a reminder to everyone thinking about this, make sure to manually change the payout percentages, the defaults, even the one that's supposed to be the most supportive of charities, completely gently caress charities.

I read this and thought "How bad can it be?"

Yeah, the default distribution for the 25$ bundle gives 40% to Humble, WTF?

$13.75 to Image Comics
$1.25 to HFC (designated charity for this bundle)
$10 to Humble

You can adjust the Humble cut down to $7.50, so that's a minimum cut of 30%.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've never bought digital comics before, even though I've been reading digital comics for many years through Hoopla, which has saved me literally thousands of dollars from not buying books I wanted to read. However, it has probably cost me hundreds in introducing me to books I loved enough to want to own after reading them.

But Comixology currently has a ridiculous sale on Love and Rockets -- all the Library Editions for $1.99 or $0.99. I've read almost all of them on Hoopla over the past few years and fell in love with the characters and worlds Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez have created, to say nothing of their gorgeous artwork. But today I sprang for the one volume that isn't on Hoopla (Three Sisters), plus the Love and Rockets Companion: 30 Years and Counting -- a real bargain for $3.

https://www.comixology.com/Fantagraphics/list/39613

If anyone has ever been curious about Love and Rockets but been intimidated by the sheer volume of material and the weird ways they have been collected over the decades, now's your chance. Don't sleep on this sale, especially if you aren't overly concerned with owning everything in print.

EDIT: This is the reading order. The original issues were anthologies containing both brothers' serialized stories, but the Library Editions contain all the ongoing narratives for both Gilbert and Jaime, in separate volumes:

Maggie the Mechanic Vol. 1 (Jaime)
Heartbreak Soup Vol. 2 (Gilbert)
The Girl from H.O.P.P.E.R.S. Vol. 3 (Jaime)
Human Diastrophism Vol. 4 (Gilbert)
Perla La Loca Vol. 5 (Jaime)
Beyond Palomar Vol. 6 (Gilbert)
Amor Y Cohetes Vol. 7 (Gilbert, Mario, & Jaime -- stand-alone stories that aren't connected to everything else)
Penny Century Vol. 8 (Jaime)
Esperanza Vol. 9 (Jaime)
Luba and Her Family Vol. 10 (Gilbert)
Ofelia Vol. 11 (Gilbert)
Comics Dementia Vol. 12 (Gilbert -- stand-alone stories that aren't connected to everything else)
Angels & Magpies Vol. 13 (Jaime)
Three Sisters Vol. 14 (Gilbert)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 26, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That's a fantastic sale.

After your reading order come the "New Strories" issues. 8 oversized issues containing a mix of Jamie and Gilbert.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You just changed my life with Hoopla
Oh my god

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Junkie Disease posted:

Oh my god

public libraries own. If yours doesn’t support hoopla chances are they have their own digital catalog. I’ve been using it for years to read books.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Oh my god

You have made my entire day! Enjoy. Happy reading! Just be mindful of the monthly limit on checkouts. My library system only allows four per month, and they usually reveal new titles on Wednesdays.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

public libraries own. If yours doesn’t support hoopla chances are they have their own digital catalog. I’ve been using it for years to read books.

I'm a librarian, just not in a public library, and I've been a Hoopla fan and user for years. I've mentioned it in this thread and elsewhere on BSS before, but apparently not often enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My new library system has Hoopla and I'm excited to dig in, but I'm still reading arcs on Marvel Unlimited to discuss with friends every few weeks and don't have time for much besides old (mostly bad) X-Men.