Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not related to comics, but in the same vein as Hoopla also check if your library does Kanopy. Free movies and it's a radically different selection than the popular / blockbuster bent I see most streaming services have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lobok posted:

It's not related to comics, but in the same vein as Hoopla also check if your library does Kanopy. Free movies and it's a radically different selection than the popular / blockbuster bent I see most streaming services have.

My small public library system does not subscribe to Kanopy, but I access it through my employer (a university). It is AWESOME. Huge selection of classic, foreign, and independent films and documentaries.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've gotten a whole bunch of Marvel comics without the digital download code in the last month. Seems like a wide spread issue as their help page has a drop down list with a few dozen issues to choose from.

Anyway, there's a customer support section that seems to sort things out in a couple of days. Way better than the old method of emailing them. So far, I've been including photos of the cover and the digital download page showing that the code is missing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah my shop had all the X-Men comics missing the stickers for about a month. Supposedly last week’s comics are going to be the last of the missing sticker issues. I submitted my pictures to Marvel over the weekend and got my replacement codes today. Last week it was less than 24 hours to resolve the 5 issues, so at least Marvel was quick on it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Wondering how (badly) the Amazon consolidation of Comixology is going to go.

Just looked at a book I bought and it says:

The date I ‘acquired’ the item.

Allows me to purchase it.

Says that I can loan it.

I wonder how ownership of libraries is going to work.

I’m currently holding off on buying anything from it, and just finishing up Comixology borrows.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
The biggest issue I can seee is that Amazon is quite inefficient at sorting and filtering compared to a specialized comics service like Comixology.

It takes ages to find what I'm looking for and, of course, you can't add digital comics to the cart. They're all going to be one-click purchases, which means more time and more clicking.

Presumably they will create a separate library list or something that says "Your Comixology Library" on the Amazon website, if they're smart about it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I know that this is almost a "return to the roots" situation, but man do I not want buying comics to just be another aisle in the Amazon mega mart.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure. Plus, I gotta have the DRM free download option thingy for digital comics.

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/on-sale?edition=download

Speaking of, a collection with much of Judge Dredd's 80s-early 90s democracy story is on sale for 8 bucks in a digital Essential, including that mega-classic tale America. These Essential versions of the earlier 80s ones have recent colors which look pretty good too.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 22, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

wielder posted:

The biggest issue I can seee is that Amazon is quite inefficient at sorting and filtering compared to a specialized comics service like Comixology.

It takes ages to find what I'm looking for and, of course, you can't add digital comics to the cart. They're all going to be one-click purchases, which means more time and more clicking.

Presumably they will create a separate library list or something that says "Your Comixology Library" on the Amazon website, if they're smart about it.

The fact that they've pushed back the move when it was supposed to be in October/November says to me they didn't really think through how bad the existing Kindle marketplace is for comics. Presumably they got a decent amount of pushback and then maybe looked at how many people buy individual issues via the Kindle store vs the Comixology one and realised there might be a problem.

I'm half-hoping they decide to keep it separate like Audible.

Honestly, Amazon is this massive all-encompassing entity and it is so, so bad at creating a UI that's usable for browsing/navigating anything to do with entertainment/media. The Prime Video app/site is still pretty much the worst of all the big streaming platforms, and they've had like a decade plus to refine it. There is no reason on earth why every season of a show should be it's own search result.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
more substacks launching

https://twitter.com/e_charretier/status/1488150872886497282?t=wK4jfw0dilI9hER3kvOhBw&s=19

https://twitter.com/riteshwriter/status/1488183628844912640?t=BDrvKkHmtXDW50nM1XEZ5A&s=19

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I’m an old crank, because I have no interest in substack at all. Not to mention who else they also platform.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I guess I'm an old crank because I have no idea who or what substack is?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A pile of hoagies.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Opopanax posted:

It’s yet another venture capital siphoning tool in an attempt to disrupt industry.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Opopanax posted:

It's a blog that has paywalled content.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

jeez

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I played with it on my phone and the link redirects to my Amazon Android app and it was kinda miserable. It's functional (not great) on a desktop browser.

Also, no more DRM free downloads on new purchases.

Really wish Image didn't close their shop!

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

So no "My Books" section on the Amazon website?

I can see my comic purchases in the Amazon "Content and devices" section, but it's just a list of every book, no series group at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

I played with it on my phone and the link redirects to my Amazon Android app and it was kinda miserable. It's functional (not great) on a desktop browser.

Also, no more DRM free downloads on new purchases.

Really wish Image didn't close their shop!

In fairness to the former, they are saying the Comixology app isn't going anywhere just presumably getting a facelift and updated to probably be more similar to the general AWS backend instead of whatever legacy system is running the Comixology stuff.

On the other hand, the fact that one of the 'big features' is the ability to sort for new comics is just laughable in how telling it is they had no idea what this marketplace is actually looking for and had to actually go back and figure out that something as basic as 'show me what new stuff just came out' wasn't on the original rollout plan.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Dsmif posted:

So no "My Books" section on the Amazon website?

I can see my comic purchases in the Amazon "Content and devices" section, but it's just a list of every book, no series group at all.

Under Content and Devices, you can select Books and then Comixology up there in the view/sort by section.

It's not very user friendly, but then again that goes for this whole change in the first place.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you have a monopoly on a product or service there is absolutely no motive in making that better for consumers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that was how comiXology was so you can’t pretend it’s new

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that was how comiXology was so you can’t pretend it’s new

Yes, but this is looking worse than Comixology so far.

Reducing features or at least making them harder to use means less purchases, which may eventually result in less profits for your monopoly.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Not looking forward to this. Might as well subscribe to Marvel Unlimited when it goes on Sale.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The fraction of income Amazon makes from digital comics is probably less than what they are afraid would happen if warehouse workers anywhere unionized so that's their focus. So we'll just spend less money on this so we can pay the Pinkertons more money to spy on union leaders and hopefully ruin their lives.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

wielder posted:

Yes, but this is looking worse than Comixology so far.

Reducing features or at least making them harder to use means less purchases, which may eventually result in less profits for your monopoly.

It does look like it’s gonna be a bit annoying a change yeah but people are acting like the sky is falling when most of what I’ve seen seems pretty minor.

Hell my major issues are stuff that the original app never fixed. Like custom reading orders

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Skwirl posted:

The fraction of income Amazon makes from digital comics is probably less than what they are afraid would happen if warehouse workers anywhere unionized so that's their focus. So we'll just spend less money on this so we can pay the Pinkertons more money to spy on union leaders and hopefully ruin their lives.

I hate that you're almost certainly right about that.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It does look like it’s gonna be a bit annoying a change yeah but people are acting like the sky is falling when most of what I’ve seen seems pretty minor.

Hell my major issues are stuff that the original app never fixed. Like custom reading orders

It's not the end of the world or anything. I'll still buy stuff, but mostly trades for things I've already read or know about. Less impulse purchases.

Older, obscure titles and indie comics are likely to suffer from decreased visibility and discoverability.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 3, 2022

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Doesn't help that they don't provide a Publishers section like the old site, which was the main reason I found anything in the first place.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

hadji murad posted:

Not looking forward to this. Might as well subscribe to Marvel Unlimited when it goes on Sale.

Feeling better about picking up DC Universe Infinite on sale every day that Amazonology gets closer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't understand why you would buy Marvel or DC comics on Comixology unless you really needed to read current series when those companies have a subscription model or there was only like 2 titles a month you wanted to read from those publishers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t want physical copies and want to read both current titles and don’t want to pay subs when I’m not reading

Wow really difficult to figure ou

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t want physical copies?

Wow really difficult to figure out

That's not what skwirl's saying. It's more that Marvel Unlimited is around $70 for the year, so why bother spending $5-$10 on trades when you can just do that and get all of it with a slight delay

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

At least for now for Image comics, I'm doing Google play books for the DRM free download option.

Extracting the epub pics folder into a cbz zip so it displays properly in Perfect Viewer. Do what I gotta do. They also have pdf but in lower quality.

Speaking of visibility, it is wild how easy it is to miss a comic exists. I just learned about Mignola's Baltimore today for example, took a while to come across that. Research is half the battle for entertainment, I can't think of much I've gotten from a storefront these days.

I'll find out a band I like had an album out two years ago, etc. And I do follow a few on the ol' social media. It's just wild.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 4, 2022

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Opopanax posted:

That's not what skwirl's saying. It's more that Marvel Unlimited is around $70 for the year, so why bother spending $5-$10 on trades when you can just do that and get all of it with a slight delay

I've not used the DC service, but MU until recently-ish had a kinda wonky app that made buying the trades appealing, at least when on deep (deep) discount. The Epic collections also do a good job of compiling specific runs like Silver Surfer/Infinity Guantlet that MU didn't really do because of the lack of reading lists. Plus better offline reading, better resolution, etc.

DC also only recently started their service so it wasn't an option anyway. Most of my comixology collection is non-Marvel specifically because of the MU service, but there are some things that went on $1 sale, especially old timey masterwork books (eg Atlas Era) that weren't on MU.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
DC is region locked and I’d have to wait for some service that might not have what I want.

I had been getting Marvel codes off a guy for 9 years but now that’s gone I’m gonna sub to Marvel Unlimited whenever it’s on sale and buy the odd trade of something I really like.

Please mention Marvel Unlimited sales in this thread.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, for the most part I was mildly annoyed but meh about the Comixology stuff: But apparently subscriptions are just not available if you're not in the US? What the gently caress? Like... how the gently caress is that even possible? I can subscribe to get toothpaste shipped regularly. I can buy a currently airing TV show and get each new ep in my library once it's up. But you can't loving handle what's basically a magazine that comes out monthly? When Comixology, which you already own, DOES support that? Did they somehow gently caress up a patent somehwere and can't use the Comixology backend anymore?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, wow, the comiXology desktop reader seems to be hosed.

https://twitter.com/enthusiamy/status/1492303315895418881?s=20&t=v_HtcnzgeBl4YG04vD6QiA

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Not looking forward to this at all. Aren’t they making the app we already use obsolete too?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats gross as gently caress and I feel stupid as hell paying for comics on comixology now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
In addition to not being able to use the old app with my 10+ years of comics I’m really wondering how it’s going to work for people who don’t live in the US.

I really should’ve been subscribing to Marvel Unlimited instead of trying to “collect” digital comics and keep them on my iPad.