Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

There is also a sale on Crossed today, individual issues are 99¢ or a bundle of 75 issues for $74.99. At first blush it seems like it would be a better value to purchase the issues individually, but the bundle includes 5 issues that are not included in the sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Every Hellboy comic (2200+ pages) for 50 bux:

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/4560.hellboy-day-megabundle/

:stare:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Have they gotten HD comics yet? I'm not going to argue with the price, but Hellboy is a comic that really needs HD.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I would honestly consider that if it was on Comixology.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

I would honestly consider that if it was on Comixology.

I would honestly buy it for sure if it was Comixology.

Still considering it. What are reasons not to? Did Hellboy drop off in quality or is BPRD better? Or is Dark Horse's app significantly *bad*?

Never read any Hellboy or BPRD, basically, but know I do like the general milieu and Mignola art.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Like I implied, the reason not to buy this would be because Dark Horse for some reason still doesn't offer HD comics, which I personally think is a travesty. Unless they added them recently, I don't know. I think the app is basically the same as Comixology's, otherwise - they use the same template as I recall.

Hellboy is one of the best comics ever by my estimation, but Mignola's art is such a big part of the appeal that I honestly think it does that book a disservice to read it in SD on an iPad.

BPRD is a spin-off that's also very good, but kind of its own thing. Main difference is that the art team varies from story to story.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 21, 2014

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Like I implied, the reason not to buy this would be because Dark Horse for some reason still doesn't offer HD comics, which I personally think is a travesty. Unless they added them recently, I don't know. I think the app is basically the same as Comixology's, otherwise - they use the same template as I recall.

Hellboy is one of the best comics ever by my estimation, but Mignola's art is such a big part of the appeal that I honestly think it does that book a disservice to read it in SD on an iPad.

BPRD is a spin-off that's also very good, but kind of its own thing.

Thanks. I guess I'm unclear on the level of difference between HD and non-HD, and whether I've been reading HD or not. Is nearly everything I read on Comixology HD, or have I been reading and enjoying non-HD comics this whole time? (I can probably figure this out for myself by trying a Dark Horse sample comic, but I'm at work at the moment and don't have wifi connectivity for the tablet.)

edit: tried out. difference in quality for Dark Horse was noticeable, but not a definite dealbreaker alone. However, I also like their app reading experience and guided view a bunch less. That combined with the fact that I'm *not* actually sure Hellboy will be a real favorite for me -- none of the samples are fully grabbing me -- means I'm still waffling on the purchase. But thanks for laying out your thoughts.

onefish fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 22, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nearly everything on Comixology is HD, yes. If you're using an iPad 3 or newer, or anything with a retina display, you've been reading primarily in HD.

Yeah, the thing to do is to download one of their free samples and see if the SD bothers you. It might not! I personally found it kind of offensive that you're paying the same price for noticeably lower quality, though obviously in this case the sheer volume of content might make it worth it anyway, especially if you don't mind reading in SD.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I use the DH app on a retina iPad and I think the comics look fine, so definitely check it out with a sample comic if you are considering the Hellboy megabundle. Also if/when they add HD comics I'm sure they will allow you to grab the higher res versions of whatever you already own.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If I buy the Shazam collection on comixology will I get that comic with the oft posted fist pump?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Powers sale https://www.comixology.com/Powers-Sale/page/1261
Bundle saves $12.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

LordPants posted:

If I buy the Shazam collection on comixology will I get that comic with the oft posted fist pump?

I don't know about fist pump panel but if this looks familiar.

then yes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Brand New Day sale. There's some good comics, there. 555-557. 575-576. 630-633 (Shed). Whatever the issues with Rhino were.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

From issue #600 if you pretty much ignore everything by Guggenheim you can pick some of the best modern Spider-Man stories. Especially the Sandman, Lizard and Rhino ones.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Does anyone know why there's a 3 issue gap in the Bendis Daredevil run on Comixology? The entire Trial of the Century arc is missing and I'm not having much luck at finding out why.

FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com
Big Green Arrow sale - can I start at Lemire and get what's going on, or is background of previous, universally trashed issues necessary to appreciate? And any thoughts on Year One?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

FeedRobots posted:

can I start at Lemire and get what's going on

Yep.

FeedRobots posted:

or is background of previous, universally trashed issues necessary to appreciate?

Nnnnnope.

I guess cause of the TV show there's also Deadshot and Suicide Squad stuff.

e: There's also an X-Files sale. https://www.comixology.com/The-X-Files-Sale/page/1271
The classic Topps collections, Season 10 and the IDW properties crossover.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 25, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Not only can you start with Lemire's run you should avoid all nu52 pre Lemire because it's all terrible, not even worth a dollar stuff.

Ectohawk
Oct 27, 2010

The Longbow Hunters is a good comic. And it's a great value. Each issue is around 40 pages long, and only 3 bucks for the whole story. I loved the artwork, it is a bit graphic though, going for a more dark and "realistic" approach.

I liked Year One a lot as well. I'm a big fan of desert island stories in general, but I can see how some people might not love it. It's also a lot simpler then the TV show Arrow.

Ectohawk fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 25, 2014

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Comixology offers the first issue of Arrow (the TV tie-in comic) and I thought it was pretty bad. So try that out I guess if for some reason you were thinking of getting them.

Conversely because of Arrow I picked up Year One, the Longbow Hunters, and most of the '88 ones available.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Of the non-GA titles made available, what else besides Ostrander's Suicide Squad is worth picking up? Is the Deadshot mini good?

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 25, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

New issue of Private Eye is up. For those that don't know, it's Marcos Martin and BKV doing a noir comic set in the future. It's pay what you wish, so you can check out all the issues for free if you want (leave a tip at the end if you enjoy it!).

http://panelsyndicate.com/

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Waid's Cap run is on sale on Comixology. I haven't read these issues in ages but I remember really liking them. I have fond memories of Man Without a Country and I'm still in the afterglow of that amazing DD run, so I got every issue. Thanks again for the DD recommendation, it's absolutely the kind of run that reminds me why I read these funny books in the first place.

I assume this Cap sale is only the precursor to a Brubaker sale. Considering the 2 bundles aren't super expensive, I'm expecting great things.

There's also a Walking Dead mega sale but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. At least not from 49 to 80-90 because I found that part pretty boring.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
The Winter Soldier hype marches on with the Marvel Monday sale on that Winter Soldier series from a couple years back. I've only read the first trade as it was on sale earlier this year, and that was rather good, not Bru Cap good but stil good. That first trade collects Fear Itself 7.1, which is kind of a must read to understand what is going on but is not part of the sale.

There's also a few Black Widow minis on sale but I have no idea what they're worth.

(Some accuracy edits)

PelvicNerve fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 31, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah Winter Solider is good and the Rucka Black Widow is pretty decent too. I didn't really care for the Liu run and the Swierczynski run got cancelled before it got to do anything. Widowmaker is a weird crossover with Hawkeye pre-Hawkguy where they didn't really know what to do with the character.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Ultimate Spider-Man sale starting today -- plus a crazy-looking bundle of what looks like nearly everything USM released so far, 199 comics for $99. People seem to really like Ultimate spider-Man, so I'm guessing this is a definite buy for many.

edit: also saw these - Marvel collections on sale, no front page ad. https://www.comixology.com/Collections-Now-On-Sale-Deals-As-Low-As-1-99/list/1645 Includes Marvel 1602 by Gaiman for $4, an amazing deal, as well as Runaways Vol 1 (1-6) for $2.

onefish fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 1, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That is $99 of good reading.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If you have the money, that's a hell of a package for 99 bux. One of the best digital deals I think I've seen.

There are also some Captain America tpbs marked down from 9-13 bux down to $3.99:
https://www.comixology.com/Captain-America-Collections-Sale/page/1379

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Speaking of seemingly secret sales (and awful alliteration), the first 23 issues of Mad Magazine are on sale for 99¢ each. I'm no Mad historian, but I believe that is the entire run in comic format.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are there any other good Ultimate Spider-Man stories not included in the bundle? It seems to just be USM/UCSM and Cataclysm.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Are there any other good Ultimate Spider-Man stories not included in the bundle? It seems to just be USM/UCSM and Cataclysm.

The bundle also includes Ultimate Six and the two issue Ultimatum Requiem. I haven't been keeping up with things since the Ultimatum reboot so I can't speak to anything there, but with pre-Ultimatum I believe the only thing you'd be missing is Ultimate Team-Up, which as I recall is somewhat non-canon.

Also worth noting, the bundle does NOT include volume 2 issue #16.1. Not sure why that is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aquaman/Geoff Johns sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Aquaman-by-Geoff-Johns-Sale/page/1395?list1661_pg=2

N52 Aquaman 1-23, Annual 1
N52 Justice League 15-18 (Aquaman crossover)
Brightest Day
Flashpoint
Hawkman 1-12
JSA 6-15
The Flash 164-174
Superman: Secret Origin
Booster Gold 1-6
Teen Titans 1-6
JSA: Classified 1-4
Adventure Comics 1-6

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

From the Ultimate thread:

Deadpool posted:

That is a hell of a deal right there. The only thing I see missing is Ultimate Fallout which follows the Death of Spider-Man story. I mean it even includes Ultimate Six and Requiem. Yes if you plan on reading these you cannot beat this value period. Probably one of the greatest long term comic runs ever.

Also, since that's 199 issues there I guess that tells us what gets us to USM #200

EDIT: It is missing a few issues.

Ultimate Spider-Man #1/2
Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special (which is pretty much not in continuity but it may be part of the issue #150 they have there as it was reprinted in that issue)
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #1-3

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #16.1

And of course Spider-Men #1-5

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

edit: ^^^ and thanks for this, too.

unl33t posted:

Also worth noting, the bundle does NOT include volume 2 issue #16.1. Not sure why that is.

Thanks a bunch for this -- bought the bundle, now was able to pick up that one on sale, too, but would have missed it otherwise.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I'm trying to transfer my DRM Free comics with YACReader and it is painful and so unreliable. The app crashes if I try to import more than one comic at a time. I heard that this app was supposed to be way better (and cheaper) than Comic Zeal but if I have to import my poo poo one at a time that is gonna drive me crazy.
Edit: Okay, it seems to be mostly with larger files and rars that won't transfer correctly. Anybody find any ways to deal with this?

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 4, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I just set up BitTorrent Sync to sync my big files (music and videos) between my computers. I tried using it to send comics to my tablet. It worked good. I could pull up any folder (comics separated by title) and download the whole thing with one click.

Komik has been giving me problems opening those files, though. I need to play with it some more. I'm guessing the file path is too long, maybe? I installed a different CBR reader that works, but is missing some really basic features.

This is all Android, btw.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
As expected, the Marvel week-end sale is dedicated to the Winter Soldier.
Basically, the first 42 issues of Bru's Captain America run are at $.99, as well as the 6 Fallen Son issues.

There's also a bundle with all 48 books for $35. Even if you don't care about Fallen Son, that's still cheaper than the separate Cap issues.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm trying to transfer my DRM Free comics with YACReader and it is painful and so unreliable. The app crashes if I try to import more than one comic at a time. I heard that this app was supposed to be way better (and cheaper) than Comic Zeal but if I have to import my poo poo one at a time that is gonna drive me crazy.
Edit: Okay, it seems to be mostly with larger files and rars that won't transfer correctly. Anybody find any ways to deal with this?

Best DRM Free comic reader is Bookman, imo. If we're talking iPad, anyway. http://bookman.tsumikistudio.com/en/ It has a built in FTP server to upload files(with folder structure), which is kinda nice.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

PelvicNerve posted:

As expected, the Marvel week-end sale is dedicated to the Winter Soldier.
Basically, the first 42 issues of Bru's Captain America run are at $.99, as well as the 6 Fallen Son issues.

There's also a bundle with all 48 books for $35. Even if you don't care about Fallen Son, that's still cheaper than the separate Cap issues.

Just to reiterate this but when people say Brubaker/Epting have a run on Captain America which redefines the character and what you want to read it is this run. You can ignore the Fallen Son stuff because it's Loeb nonsense but the main run is the definitive modern Captain America run and one of the best comics of the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I had most but bought the rest. What came before? It's followed by 600+ until Brubaker leaves, correct?