Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

surc posted:

So, I just got an android tablet. I downloaded comixology and am loving it so far, and I'm debating going for Marvel Unlimited.

Is there a general consensus on the best android .cbr reader? I see that "komik" is mentioned in the OP, is that pretty much the one to go with?

I've been using Perfect Viewer. I used Komik for a while but stopped for some reason (I want to say something to do with organization or UI). Comic Flow was ok but it really wanted to be paired with the database tool and I didn't care for that, and iirc it ran a bit slow. Perfect Viewer has solid organization (except for file management, which is basically zilch - if you want to delete more than one comic at a time you'll want a file browser or some other backup program to do it) and fast, solid reading/UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I only read the first couple issues a while back, does it get better? It came across as... clunky, I guess, and my memory of the art was that it was sorta aping generic manga? I read the first few issues of The Fuse (same author) and felt similarly towards the writing.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Opinions on Campbell's Bacchus? I was waiting for Top Shelf to release their promised omnibus but since that's probably never happening the current sale seems like a decent deal.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

This is what I use coming from a combo of Ipad 3 and NookHD+. It is excellent for comics and the screen size has a noticeable effect. It is also heavy with its case. There is also the ~$100 cheaper Tab 12.2, I got the Note for "cheap" in SA Mart, it comes with a stylus which I have not tried coloring B&W comics with. If your primary use for the tablet is going to be comics then get this or the Surface 3, the screen size increase is completely worth it. It's especially good with larger euro-style comics or anything from an era where the pages were simply larger.

The only thing it made lovely is I bought the Batman 66 run off Comixology without realizing that they are the "guided comics" versions (and there aren't normal ones to buy) and the size of the panels/dead space is grating.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zelah posted:

Picked up the 75˘ month. I think I'm going to subscribe for a year. It's not as nice as comic zeal, but it's definitely serviceable. Marvel Zombies is a super bad comic though. I don't know why they would recommend it.

I thought it kinda got better later on and if there's any comic that epitomizes "decent read if you're not paying for it" it's Marvel Zombies.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Waterhaul posted:

Comixology are doing their 12 days of Christmas with a new free comic every day. Today's is The Wake by Sean Gordon Murphy and Scott Snyder and is well worth it.

I agree that the first issue is good and shows a lot of promise. People should enjoy the first issue.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

LordPants posted:

Can I then infer from this post that I won't enjoy the other issues?

The book very sharply jumps after the 6th issue, and up until then, aside from minor hints at what the back half will contain, it's a pretty solid horror comic (with a bit of a cliffhanger ending because the story isn't over). The back half then rushes to the end while simultaneously kinda dawdling through issue 11 - I'd call it worldbuilding but not in a cohesive enough way for a book that ends at 12. Then the final issue is a complete exposition diarrhea dump for an unearned ending. I've seen defenses of the ending that reference the bits strewn through earlier issues as setting the stage, and those defenses are horseshit because the dump is largely irrelevant to the story previously told. I've seen another defense or two that basically praise the ending for setting up a D&D campaign setting/fanfiction source and I guess that holds more water but then consider the praise.

Long story short the first half feels like the first arc in a series that should go around 30-36 issues, but which suddenly ends at 12 and does a poor job of leading to that end, particularly in hindsight.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Uthor posted:

No, I think it would be bad, too. But the app, at least on the desktop, is a steaming pile.

I think I'm going to pass on it. The tablet doesn't fulfill any need I have. I'm getting to the point where I hate my Nook HD+, but the Windows tablet has a smaller screen, lower resolution, and some people have mentioned poor viewing angles. It'd be fun to have full Windows in the palm of my hand, but I literally only use the Nook for reading comics and can't see myself doing much more with Windows.

This is what I'm looking at:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Toshiba-Encore-Mini-WT7-C16MS-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.307250100

I can understand the increasing despair over an aging nook and would suggest breaking the bank slightly and getting a refurbed Tab 12.2

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-12-2-32GB/dp/B00M38H3GG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420687387&sr=8-4&keywords=tab+12.2

Can't say if the refurbs are good but it's a great price for a stellar comic reading experience (I use comixology and perfect viewer)

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

unl33t posted:

I'm kind of torn on whether to pick up "Fire" from that BMB sale.

On the one hand I quite like Bendis' work (especially the early pre-Marvel stuff) and the subject matter seems to be right in my wheelhouse. But on the other hand I'm trying to cut back on my Comixology spending as it was getting out of control, and ten buck for barely more then 100 black and white pages seems a bit much-especially as the small number of reviews I can find are lukewarm at best.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Buy a physical copy for $5 shipped from Amazon? I vaguely remember reading it but not liking it as much as Goldfish, Jinx, or Torso.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I can't imagine a worse book for learning French than Metabarons.

"My love I cyber-worship you with the power of two trillion robo-bishops! "
"But my gene-life-savior/partner, my eyes now look like techno-grenades!"
"Le horror! I cannot cyber love a techno ugly princess! I will suicide bomb my head off with this psi-Derringer! "
*Le bang!*

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

gfanikf posted:

For my own edification, what does that mean?

Tits n gore, rear end n horsecock.

Also the Hickman part wasn't good either. I think the best part was post Hickman with the Dreamtime bit but it still wasn't good.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

InShaneee posted:

I could still see that as a threat. I imagine, ideally, Amazon would love it if they could dismantle Comixology and get people buying comics straight from the Amazon store.

I guess that's vaguely plausible but Amazon's website is incredibly poorly laid out to sell something with a release schedule like comics and I'd imagine overall sales would sharply decrease if Comixology went away. If anything I'd think they'd try to infect Comixology with more cross-media purchasing options.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Gaz-L posted:

Much like how Prime or Kindle Unlimited don't offer every single show/movie/book they have, you'd get a curated selection of big hits, fun curios and Sturgeon's Law bullshit.

Edit: If any publisher's likely to be iffy about it, it's DC, considering they've had every opportunity to do something like this before, and resolutely haven't.

I thought DC can't really do a service like that due to how they structured contracts. The Marvel contract stuff that let them screw Kirby is the same thing that lets them have an Unlimited service because the creators basically get no (or minimal) say over what's done with the books. I don't know how something like Image would work since it's massively creator-owned - if, say, Fraction said no then that's that for his comics.

I would hope a sort of rights collector would appear, though, as a money-making venture by scooping up old rights to various long out of print stuff for cheap and getting a good rate out of Amazon for the whole thing. A lot of euro comics, Heavy Metal, comic strips, etc.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Uthor posted:

Don't really know anything about The Wake.

It's not good. I'm OK with Murphy art but it can be divisive, and the story is a total mess culminating in a giant unearned last issue info dump. The first half was a good horror story but the back half... eesh. It comes across like a rpg source book meant to promote fan fiction.

Not to big on Nameless so far, either. It mostly comes across as empty, although I haven't read the latest issue.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Waterhaul posted:

To counter Nameless is Morisson and Burnham doing existential Lovecraftian style horror and has been pretty good so far.

I know what they're trying for I just don't think they are doing anything interesting with it and it's not scary or particularly compelling. Maybe it'll be better in trade format.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

FutureFriend posted:

i remember hearing frank miller got insane somewhere around sin city. around what volume should i probably stop putting them in my cart?

Keep in mind that Miller went really bonkers after 9/11 and Sin City ended in 2000. Based on long-distant memories, I'd say 1-4 are good, can't remember 5 and 6, and thought 7 was mostly worth it for a hallucination sequence in color that seemed interesting at the time.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Opinions on Manifest Destiny?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Deadpool posted:

I love it.

Yeah but you're positive on a lot of stuff. What about opinions from dour people?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'll hesitantly anti-recommend Mind MGMT because while I think it's great and everyone should read it there are elements on the page that I feel transition very poorly to a tablet. Those are some really good prices though.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Pulp adventure/horror mixed with excellent art to create an undercurrent of pathos. I'd recommend buying the first trade and if you like what you see move onto

http://www.amazon.com/Hellboy-Libra...library+edition

All of Library editions.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The two best current solutions are either a surface pro 3 or a galaxy tab/note 12.2. Both give the largest screen size at excellent resolution and removable storage options.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Isn't smart panel a blown up version of page view? I thought page view looked fine when I used MU.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zoux posted:

I mean I think the guy is allowed to complain, but it might be his platform. I've never noticed it reading on iOS.

That shouldn't matter any more. I've used it on both ios and android and unzoomed looked fine, zoomed you could see resolution issues. I just have big enough tablets to not need to zoom.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

That's a good sale but some of the books are poor fits for tablets, mostly due to size. Stuff that should be good:

Any of the EC Comics Archives
I think anything by Jason
Megahex was fine
Prison Pit
Hate
Maybe the Jim Woodring books
Tales Designed to Thrizzle
Non-Love & Rockets Hernandez Bros books

Stuff that might be compromised:
Love & Rockets (may be ok)
Ditko Archives
Sock Monkey
How to be Happy (what little I've read seems off-size)

Stuff that's going to be rough:
Hip Hop Family Tree
Arsene Schrawen (in addition to size IMO the paper/ink texture lent something to the book, kinda hard to explain)
Cannon
Krazy & Ignatz

I also think those are all good buys. I thought Black is the Color was poor.

Please recommend more because other than the Ditko Archives I'm not sure what else to buy.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Man-In-Madden posted:

How's Über? I like most Guillen's stuff but I am usually reluctant to pick up anything from Avatar Press.

What I read I thought was just ok and I didn't care for the art.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Dunbar posted:

Ah holy poo poo, I'd really like to get Preacher, Y, Hellblazer (I guess? Not a huge Constantine fan but I understand these are meant to be awesome), 100 Bullets, Transmetropolitan, American Vampire, and Ex Machina.

I've already read Y, Preacher and 100 Bullets, so of Hellblazer, Transmetropolitan and American Vampire, are any of those considered must-read or highly recommended over the others?

I don't get the question, it seems like you've read most of what you're interested in? I thought ex machina was so so.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

hup posted:

Yeah, for budgeting reasons, if I'm only getting one or two Hellblazers, which volumes should I pick?

Ennis in order of release.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I think Scalped and Sweet Tooth hold up the best throughout their runs. Hellblazer through at least issue 100 is very solid.

If anything I think it's easier to unrecommend in this case, to which I would say 100 bullets and Ex machina, with a caution on DMZ (never read, heard iffy things).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If you have medium or low tolerance of Morrison then Doom Patrol is still a good pick. It's good.

The Filth, while I really enjoyed it as a response to Invisibles, may come across as up its own rear end if you read it straightforward (unlike Invisibles which climbs up its rear end halfway through and never escapes until the very very end).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zoux posted:

Those six trades are all of Morrison's Doom Patrol right? If I know literally nothing about DP besides its pantheonic status, am I gonna be lost?

Yes, no. There are a few bits that were relevant when they were published but outside of that it's self-contained.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

vegetables posted:

You should probably give The Filth a miss as well.

Also! Is DOOM FORCE in the collected Doom Patrol trades, or does it have to be bought separately?

It was in my physical trade so I assume it's in the digital one.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hoo boy gonna blow a bunch of cash on those archives.

Also that's a good price for Rat God if you want some solid Corben art and a middling Corben story. Like, I wouldn't pay more than $5.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

bobkatt013 posted:

drat the one image series I want to get ain't on sale and that's Fatale

There are two high quality deluxe hardcovers that you're supposed to buy.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zoux posted:

I see this a lot and I have no idea what people mean by it. Where should it have ended?

Ignoring the ending itself from memory I'd say the 4th 5th or so could have been excised or reduced. It felt like a book that decided to wrap up after kinda running out of things to do with the premise but while still thinking maybe it could go on for a while longer.

If you've read the recent Unknown Soldier, the opposite of that.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zoux posted:

I feel like a lot of it comes from people who were reading at the time maybe got tired of shelling out cash for more story/books maybe?

A lot of problems a person might notice reading month to month when you have weeks to dwell on a single issue or pacing problems disappear when read in trade.

I read it after it was finished and thought it was a problem, albeit not as bad as some people made it seem.

As for the piling on the poo poo, it went too far. Again it's been a while but I remember thinking that while humanity may not deserve that treatment any person would likely go ballistic after what happened and the book did too little to address humanity's better parts.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

So if I buy the 5 Star Wars omnis with similar trade dress on sale right now that will cover the entire OG SW comic? Glancing at the recent omni details on Amazon makes me think this is true but I want to verify. Anything wrong with the Comixology ones?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

https://www.comixology.com/DC-101-Collections-Sale/page/9176?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Pretty big sale on DC collections. Going to get the Brubaker Catwoman books and the Tales of Batman by JHW3, any other suggestions? Thinking about the Superman Secret Identity (Busiek), maybe other Tales of Batman collections, Justice (Ross)?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Do it, it's excellent.

Batman Black & White is an anthology series, and a great way to see a wide range of excellent talent have a play around with Batman.

I have the first three of the B&W books, and recommend the first in this sale, but suggest caution on 2 and avoid on 3 if, after the first one, anyone is thinking the quality remains the same.

Thanks for the other suggestions, most are things I have and I would suggest them to others. No thoughts on Tales books? I realize some of them may be fairly dated but I'm generally ok with the older styles of plotting/layouts and the price seems pretty decent.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I don't know about the website but if you're in the app I've found that the pull-down refresh method doesn't add books for some reason, and hitting the vertical ... and then picking refresh does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The average is already over 14 so forking over the extra to hit 20 is a no brainer.