Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

All of the business pictured, plus the $15 Complete Concrete bundle... oog.. my stomach feels like I ate a whole pizza in one sitting. But happy, too.

The checkout process was a little wonky. As I trimmed down my order list, the discounts would alternately disappear and reappear, causing my bill to double and halve over and over again. Anyone else had to haggle with Dark Horse's website?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Battle of The Atom sale
https://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Battle-of-the-Atom-Sale/page/2633

But forget that disappointing event cause Si Spurrier's X-Men Legacy is in there as well for some reason.

I would like to second this. Legacy is relatively self-contained and one of the best runs in the franchise's recent history.

I was holding out hope for a complete HC run of it, but $18 for all of it in digital is grand too.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Uthor posted:

A lot of Viz titles are on sale (One Punch Man...)
https://www.comixology.com/Viz-Summer-Sale/page/2760

How is All You Need is Kill? I liked Edge of Tomorrow alright, heard the book is better...

The manga is worth a buy, Abe and Obata are big names for such an adaptation. I would've tweaked the ending, but enjoyed the ride nonetheless. It's like the new Battle Royale insofar as every version is entertaining yet unique enough from the other versions to feel fresh.

Finally jumping into the Jojo manga because of this, plus all of Samurai Jack and some miscellaneous Batman titles.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

What in the hell, Dark Horse (Android) app.

Groo vs Conan #1 is out. It is featured among the banners in the digital store, but does not appear among the listed new issues or in any search of 'Groo' or 'Sergio Aragones.'

However, I can find the comic on Dark Horse's website and log in and order there, then sync the app to retrieve the comic.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

But do read Thanos Quest. Only two issues, but they add a lot of depth to the gems and Thanos while putting on a grand style of comics akin to Greek mythology (shut up I like the comparison).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S makes my comics glow like radioactive candy. Is this considered "more accurate?"

(I still love you Nook HD+, but it's time for a real tablet now.)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

SPX bundle on Comixology - $200 of alt-comix bullshit can be yours for $10!

(Just kidding, I don't know what's good in this bundle, just gamblin')

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Comixology is also discounting IDW crossovers to 99 cents per issue. Does anyone know which of these are worthwhile/crap?

GI Joe / Transformers
Danger Girl / GI Joe
Infestation (multi-franchise crossover)
Mars Attacks / multi again
Star Trek / Legion of Super-Heroes
Star Trek TNG / Doctor Who
X-Files / multi
Cartoon Network Super Secret Crisis War (#1)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I consider myself a huge fan of the modern Flash but haven't read much if the early Wally days. What are the standout arcs? I hope someone here or at ComicsAlliance does a recommendation list like CA did during the larger Batman sales.

vvvThanks, I've downloaded those, Emergency Stop (read before and liked it), and Wally West's #1 which already has me jonesing for more.vvv

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 7, 2014

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Deadly Class is goddamn gorgeous, issue for issue.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dark Horse is having a Cyber Monday sale: 50% off all digital comics, which really means 50% off their usual digital prices, with discounted bundles, to boot!

Example: MIND MGMT, which everyone should read, is normally priced at $4 for the latest issue, $2 for back issues. Today, the series is $1 per issue, with bundles of six issues going for ~$5. You can also see this with The Goon, with 4-issue bundles priced at $3 apiece.

It's a smorgasbord, I tell ya!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The screen-flipping has not been fixed yet. Comixology released an update a few days ago to fix this and it didn't work. I've been locking my tablet's screen rotation to compensate until the problem is solved.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I installed today's Android update to Comixology and the rotation bug seems to have been fixed.

Any word on the deal with Comics Plus? They updated to 8.0 for iOS and there are a bunch of press releases about how great a competitor they will be for Comixology, but the Android version does nothing but drag and crash so far (tested yesterday).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I've only owned the first color edition in print and it felt like the definitive edition, so $5 a pop for digital versions was an instant buy for me and they look great on a screen.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Samurai Jack is basically one poster-quality page after another, scoop 'em up and consider the story a cherry on top.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Adventure Time comics take full advantage of the medium and have creative layouts, lettering, and jokes in the margins. The full cast is employed, and emotional beats are included every so often in addition to the zaniness. To oppose it is to oppose fun itself.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I upgraded from Nook HD+ to a Galaxy S 10.5 last year and it's been amazing, but if you're looking for a budget option, Barnes & Noble's Samsungs are already going for sale every other month (sub-200 for 7-inch, sub-300 for 10.1). Throw in a keyboard case and you've got an ideal comics reader + pseudo-laptop, though the Nexus tablets are dynamite and you could probably nab a good refurb/used.

Alternately, what do you hate about the HD+? When mine was getting sluggish, I did a factory reset and it became much faster and more responsive.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The return of Lynda Carter via Wonder Woman '77 to lay down the digital law. Excellent.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bigass Punisher sale on Comixology: runs from 2000-2009 for 0.99 an issue.
I've always been somewhat jealous of my friend's Punisher omnibi, but a digital decade of Frank Castle is pretty sweet too.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Gaz-L posted:

Hey, wait, is [Wonder Woman '77] now alternating with Sensation Comics? Because I just checked my subs and SC isn't out until the 28th?

For whatever reason, I got the newest digital Sensation Comics today (despite its usual Thursday release schedule), and had to buy it separately despite being subscribed. I haven't seen any DC Digital promos announcing how the two WW series would be released. Is this a fluke? Delay? Nazi scheme to harm Lynda Carter Comix?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Cheap Trick posted:

Does Matt Fraction own enough for those half-price issues of Invincible Iron Man to be worth purchasing?

His run is on the bleeding edge of Tony Stark fiction.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It's time to get down, America!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

New issue of Lady Killer is out, but the updated Dark Horse app just turns my screen black!
My digital hubris has cost me this eve...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

That Letter 44 sale ends tomorrow, get on it already!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Teenage Fansub posted:

DC Road to Convergence sale.

https://www.comixology.com/Road-to-Convergence-Sale/page/5884?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Futures End 1-43 (find #0 too. It's free.)
Earth 2: World's End 1-21
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Zero Hour
Infinite Crisis
Final Crisis (Just 1-7. Superman Beyond, etc not on sale. Get Superman if you're getting it)
Flashpoint + minis

How nice of DC to drop their weeklies' prices for everyone at their conclusion.

This just reinforces to me the law of Comixology and digital comics in general: if you're not in love with a series, wait for it to go on sale. (Or for the library to pick up the trade!) (Or for a Humble Bundle edition!) Don't pay the New Release Tax - tide yourself over with something else.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Google Play sale on comics starring women

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

All of the HItman and Dr. Fate issues on offer are great and deserve your money.
Hitman #34 belongs in the "Superman stories to give people who bitch about Superman being boringly perfect" file.
Batman & Robin is all aces, as is Batman Inc., but I figure their reputations precede them.
Justice League 3000 might be worth it at $0.99 each, but I don't think Giffen & DeMatteis got anywhere near their JLI laughs, even with Blue & Gold's return.
Futures End is okay from about #40 onward, as the endlessly wheel-spinning story threads start wrapping up and showing consequences. Just don't get suckered in by Ryan Sook's amazing covers like I was...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The latest two installments of Batman '66 have been 0.99 apiece (formerly 1.99), which is just the discount needed to put it back on my digital subs list. Any word on that being the de facto price going forward?

Also, Dark Horse, I love your new look on Comixology, but I'd like the app to show me a new sale every night at midnight again, please and thank you.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If your library has Hoopla Comics service, be on the lookout for DC adding 200 books throughout the summer. 18 titles so far, some New 52, lots of popular Batman trades, first volumes Sandman, Fables, Preacher for now.... could get really good!

Oh, and this Image sale? Wytches, Descender, Bitch Planet, Kaptara, and The Fade Out have all been good to me. I'm going in on the first trade of ODY-C for $5, call out any of your favorites and tempt me into succumbing!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bobkatt013 posted:

Are any of the DC trades on sale worth it?

Crisis On Infinite Earths, if only to get a 12-issue event for $5, worth it if you haven't read it before.

All of 52 is great, definitely pick those up. I've bought this in trades and the omnibus, enjoyed it both ways.

I originally couldn't make sense of Final Crisis, but anyone with a handle on how superhero events and Darkseid tend to operate should do fine with this (years later, I reread FC and everything clicked, now I admire it). Includes the Superman Beyond stories plus material from the Absolute edition? Yeah, this one's worth five bucks.

Forever Evil was pretty neat, Geoff Johns keeps finding fresh angles with Lex Luthor and I can't get enough of it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Justice League: Gods & Monsters has been pretty cool, with Wonder Woman's 60s Flashback story (2/3 complete as of today) easily being the most unpredictable compared to Vampire Batman and (admittedly also cool) Mexican Immigrant Superman.

I've never read the older Runaways series and the Secret Wars mini has me hooked. Stevenson + Greene are a great combo.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The subtle erosion of Comixology's features/policies...
DC books taking longer to get a discount. I can wait it out or take advantage of a local store's discount.
Fewer, if any, midnight releases, including fewer sales going live at midnight. This might actually be an advantage, since I'll go to bed earlier.
When I buy a comic and go to My Books (or the new Smart Lists) and refresh, it takes several minutes for the book to show up as purchased, when before it was instantaneous. It's currently faster to buy a book then search for it and find the Download button among the results.
Oh, but the addiction to comics, that's still going strong, yay team!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

While my opinion of Elektra is nowhere near my fervor for Ms. Marvel, it's also on sale at a buck an issue and pretty goddamn gorgeous.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bombshells is off to a good start, digital slices for now leading to print issues later.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Li'l Gotham and Batman Adventures are among the purest fun I've had reading Batbooks.

Little Nemo from IDW is a goddamn goldmine and everyone should pick it up, whether they're familiar with McCay's original works or not.

I've read the first three issues of Jem and the Holograms and, despite the internet's rose-colored glasses for that franchise when endorsing the comic, it feels sluggish to me. "It's about these all-female bands who transform when they perform, with rad-awesome special effects!" But they actually talk a lot about their feelings and doubts in every issue, to the detriment of the story's pace? I would love to hear from fans of the comic to help me understand why it's roundly praised. Have I just not cracked through to the best parts yet?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

^Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying!^

Digital news: YOOOOOO, if your library offers Hoopla digital services, check out the beginning of their deal with Image:

Chew, Vol. 1-8
Invincible, Vol. 1-20
Morning Glories, Vol. 1-6
Saga, Vol. 1-4
Saga: Book One
Spawn Origins Collection, Vol. 1-10
The Walking Dead, Vol. 1-23
The Walking Dead Compendium 2

I'm glad to see a library service that can dish out much of what comics fandom has been demanding for years. Your local library will have a limit to # of checkouts based on their budget, but on the plus side, free is free. I read Daytripper through Hoopla recently, and it looked and worked great.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Superior Spider-Man sale on Comixology - frankly, one of my favorite story arcs in the series and another piece of evidence solidifying that Peter Parker's substitutes and analogs are always cooler and more fun than he is.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Giant Astro City sale tempting me to buy it all up and freeze all my subscriptions until it's been read beginning to end.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If you like Avatar: The Last Airbender and want to see some loose ends wrapped up from the original series, that's the latest Comixology sale. I read and enjoyed them all, Gene Luen Yang gets that series so well IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Earth One is worth it for Gary Frank's art alone. YMMV with Geoff's story, which I liked well enough. Alternate bat-origin, if you're a fan you pretty much know this song and dance already.