Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I use an iPad exclusively with fit-to-width in the Comixology app. I can't stand guided view, never could (though I also can't stand portrait mode). It's a neurotic thing, but I hate how it regularly cuts off like 10/20% of the edges of a panel. I like to have a larger perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Comixology got hacked, and they're asking everyone to change their passwords. Only their lovely password reset system is broken and doesn't work, so my comics are being held hostage at the moment. This is the downside to the all-digital future :smith:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Comixology's offering $5 off the following five collections until the end of the month when you use the code MARVEL5OFF:

I think I've heard good things about Days of Future past, but are any of the others worthwhile?

On a related note, it's saying that I'm ineligible for the offer. Is that something that just happens sometimes and should get resolved on it's own or should I contact them?

They're all worth it for that price except Age of Ultron, which you won't find anyone defending on these boards.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Asnorban posted:

What is the huge appeal of guided view? Is it primarily for smaller screens? I only read on an iPad and every time I've used it (in any app) it cuts off bits of the frame, and also ruins the full page aesthetic for any comic that isn't a pretty strict and consistent panel layout. When I read comics part of the experience is seeing the full page and how the artist works the layout in to the story and art.

I gather that it's good for smaller screens like on phones. I hate it too, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Have they gotten HD comics yet? I'm not going to argue with the price, but Hellboy is a comic that really needs HD.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Like I implied, the reason not to buy this would be because Dark Horse for some reason still doesn't offer HD comics, which I personally think is a travesty. Unless they added them recently, I don't know. I think the app is basically the same as Comixology's, otherwise - they use the same template as I recall.

Hellboy is one of the best comics ever by my estimation, but Mignola's art is such a big part of the appeal that I honestly think it does that book a disservice to read it in SD on an iPad.

BPRD is a spin-off that's also very good, but kind of its own thing. Main difference is that the art team varies from story to story.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 21, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nearly everything on Comixology is HD, yes. If you're using an iPad 3 or newer, or anything with a retina display, you've been reading primarily in HD.

Yeah, the thing to do is to download one of their free samples and see if the SD bothers you. It might not! I personally found it kind of offensive that you're paying the same price for noticeably lower quality, though obviously in this case the sheer volume of content might make it worth it anyway, especially if you don't mind reading in SD.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Welp. As long as they leave the app alone, I don't mind. The Kindle app is terrible for comics.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LordPants posted:

Valiant keeps putting their stuff on sale. I keep buying it for a buck a pop but i'm still not sure what issue I'm upto. :shrug:

It doesn't mark automatically the last issue you read does it?

Not if you're reading through a browser, no.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nowhere Men worth getting? I haven't seen much talk of it here.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, in one of the first major moves made since the Amazon acquisition, Comixology has now been regionalized and Europeans are forced to pay in Euros. I was dreading this, and sure enough comics have suddenly become slightly more expensive, but at least they aren't converting 1:1 so it could be a lot worse.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Space_Butler posted:

gently caress Comixology for not considering people with bandwidth caps might not want to redownload their entire existing library because Amazon wants to make more money. This has definitely made me want to buy more of my pulls in print. At least my shop owner won't suddenly show up to my house and tell me I have to move to a new house and living room to read any new comics.

It specifically says you won't have to redownload anything.

It doesn't seem like anything major has changed other than not being able to purchase through the app. Which, why would you do that anyway, you can't buy more than one issue at a time?

Edit: Oh, I misunderstood, they aren't updating the old app, it's an entirely new app. Well, that seems pointless, especially since you can continue downloading to the old one.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 26, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well gently caress. My brother and I use the same iTunes account for purchases and we buy tons of comics by alternating adding a gift card every week. This completely kills that :smith:

You can't even browse the store in the app. That's stupid.

Yeah, it's dumb, but it's pretty much exactly how the Kindle app works, so at least it's consistent and they didn't remove any reading features. For what it's worth it probably won't be long before you can use your Amazon account/gift cards to buy stuff.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If you're in the EU I found out that you can still pay in dollars if you use retailer-specific digital stores, e.g. https://comicsconspiracy.comicretailer.com/

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Uthor posted:

Has a digital manga storefront come to the fore? I asked about a year ago, but maybe things have changed. Basically, I'd like to read Monster and wouldn't mind owning a copy of 20th Century Boys.

Viz has a digital store, but unfortunately most of their older stuff including those Urasawa books aren't available there. There's an app on iTunes called Mangastorm that focuses on scanlations, though honestly I have no idea about the legality of that stuff (and I'll remove the name it it's against the rules)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Professor Lazy posted:

I'm doing some research on tablets mainly for comic book reading. What do you guys recommend? Does anyone read in a 7" tablet? I rather not have to zoom in and out too often and prefer reading comics full page, is that doable in a 7" screen?

Assuming you get something with retina, yes. My eyes aren't great, but I was surprised by how legible and sharp reading on an iPad Mini was. I'd still take a full sized tablet any day of the week, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are we even gonna get the FCBD comics on Comixology this week? Anyone know?
Might have to read Futures End #1 before #0.

IIRC we didn't get any last year. Don't know why that isn't a priority. Probably because FCBD is primarily a retail thing?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

Dude the entire point of FCBD is to get people into stores.

I'd go into a store if there was more than like two in my entire country (and I doubt they have any interest in upholding FCBD). They should absolutely make these available digitally. Wait a week if you have to, I don't care, but I'd like to read them too.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 7, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rirse posted:

This is a example what I mean from Infinite Gauntlet #1. Also minor question, but who is that round alien with the crowd in this first panel?

That's Judge Kray-Tor. Early Adam Warlock stuff, basically everything before Infinity Gauntlet, is loving weird.

Edit: Goddamn it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

His Thunderbolts run is some of my favourite Marvel stuff ever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Could I read 52 without much of any knowledge about DC continuity? I tend to stick to the self-contained stuff, I've never really spent too much time on the events.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 14, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

baronvonsabre posted:

Actually, I'm in the UK and managed to get it without any problems. Don't know if it will work for anywhere else though.

I'm in Denmark and I can't buy it, but I really want to :smith:

The biggest crime in comics is not putting out every one of Stokoe's books in the most lavish hardcovers imaginable. gently caress if I'm going to sully his art by viewing it in a lovely mass market paperback.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Rise of the Sith Omnibus is $2.99 today at DHD. No idea if it's good but it's 450 pages of Star Wars comics for 3 bux so why not

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/2075/

That's not one of the better ones (the art in Aurra's Song :psyduck:), though it does have the first Ki-Adi-Mundi arc which is a pretty rad little Jedi detective story.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think that is a mistake. Occasionally they will add newer titles that shouldn't be up yet but trying to download them just results in an error.

Also the AOA sale really highlights how badly they need either the ability to create your own TPB's or to automatically get the TPB's once you have all the issues contained within. :sigh:

Yeah, the old Comixology app had that "story arcs" tab that I don't think ever really did anything. Now that they're owned by Amazon it'll never happen, but they really need some way to personally organize your stuff or, hell, shareable reading lists.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a fan of Necrosha, but I do like Kyle/Yost and Crain's X-Force, and it's an extension of that book. There's not much point to reading it if you haven't read that first.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

Would there be interest in a Marvel Unlimited discussion thread? Something like the Marvel General + X + Spider-Man threads, but six months behind, so we can talk about what's new to those of us who use MU. Seeing as we're only a month out from the recent round of MARVEL NOW #1s hitting unlimited, I think this would be a good time to do it.

It's a good idea, but I don't know that there a large contingent of people here who read weekly comics while only keeping up with Unlimited's release schedule. Could be wrong, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rirse posted:

How are the issues in the Young Avengers sale that just started? I heard good things about the most recent series so I might pick it up.

I thought it was disappointing for the most part and just kind of farted out of existence, but it's not bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked it. The art was nice.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Infinity Gauntlet is like my favourite Marvel comic ever, so definitely get that and Thanos Quest, though they're both on Unlimited also.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Thanos: The Final Threat

Many years pass

Silver Surfer
Thanos Quest
Infinity Gauntlet

Here's where Warlock and the Infinity Watch happens, along with Infinity War/Crusade (I know you didn't list them, just giving a sense of the chronology)

Many years pass

12 issue series, leads into Annihilation

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 4, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Is it cool to read Thanos: The Final Threat #1 -> Thanos Quest #1-2 -> Infinity Gauntlet #1-6, or would I want those Silver Surfer issues too?

Absolutely read those SS issues. They're the first appearance of the reborn Thanos.

Edit: But, er, not if you really don't have the cash dude :)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That new TMNT book is supposed to be really good, right? Are any of the secondary books worth getting?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Bendis and Jeff Parkers's Dark Avengers is on sale. How is Parker's Dark Avengers?

It's enjoyable, not great. It kind of reminds me of the latter day X-Factor, where it had a cool cast and some really funny moments, but was still just dragging its feet endlessly with absurd plotlines that make no sense when you think about them.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. McNinja is really loving funny. Some of the jokes feel a bit dated by now, but for the most part it totally still holds up and the art gradually gets better and better. I'd be hard pressed to recall any funnier comics right now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That is a good deal, and I'm interested, but I have to ask: Is there actual substance and good writing here, or is it mainly pulp action silliness?

Because I remember a long time ago someone posting a page that was such a hamfisted critique of modern comics that it turned me off from even trying the book.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Worth noting that an oversized hardcover of the first 11 issues (the entire first arc) is coming out this November. Not that I would dissuade anyone from buying it in this sale, but it's probably my single favourite comic of the past 5 years and is worth owning in a nice, large printed format in case you're at all interested.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neither one is going to make comics DRM free, ever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

So given the response in this thread, I should pick up Man Without Fear?

Oh, most definitely

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've heard good things about Bedlam, so I'm gonna pick that up, and Severed is alright (though nothing hugely memorable in my opinion).

Bulletproof Coffin also received a lot of praise around here, but I don't think that really counts as horror so much as just being a surreal superhero story. Whole thing for $4 is a great deal though.

Also I know Fell is generally well-regarded, but it's a victim of The Great Ellis Harddrive Crash so it will never be finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, I didn't know that, I just remember seeing someone complain about it not being finished. Gonna pick it up then, thanks.