Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Flameingblack posted:

I spend like $20 a week on Comixology and I didn't get any e-mails :/ I must have turned email alerts off or something?

I get emails from them but I haven't seen the free giveaway stuff mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Oh yeah I agree Unlimited is a bit of a mess. It's a lot smoother now since that last update though.

Is there really no way they could strike some sort of deal with Comixology for that guided view. I mean, they're already in cahoots, I don't understand why it hasn't happened.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Comixology offers the first issue of Arrow (the TV tie-in comic) and I thought it was pretty bad. So try that out I guess if for some reason you were thinking of getting them.

Conversely because of Arrow I picked up Year One, the Longbow Hunters, and most of the '88 ones available.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

PelvicNerve posted:

I've found a workaround for Marvel and DC though: buy through their own digital stores, you'll still be able to pay in USD. That's what I've been doing.

How strange. Just did this method. I hope they don't fix it anytime soon.

Also, look like there's been some new Marvel Collections on sale too.

X-Men: The Complete Age Of Apocalypse Epic Book 1
$3.99

Winter Soldier Vol. 1: The Longest Winter
$1.99

Annihilation Book One
$1.99

Spider-Man: Big Time
$1.99

Nova Vol. 1: Annihilation - Conquest
$1.99

Interestingly all the other ones (Runaways, Marvel 1602, etc.) still seem to be on sale. Those Spider-Man ones too. Marvel are really hitting it.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

That's pretty chill of them.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

If you can't wait a few more seconds to buy a comic book then did you really want it in the first place?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Waterhaul posted:

Image just decided to team up with HumbleBundle for some ridiculously cheap comics :stare:

You are looking at some of the best comics of the last year for nothing.

Well I'll obviously be picking these up.

What app would people recommend for reading these on Android? (Nexus 7)

e:
^^
In Comixology emails they keep saying things like "growing manga library" so they're probably aiming towards that.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Uthor posted:

What's the format? For CBR/CBZ I like Komik, but it hasn't been working for me lately on my Nook. :'(

I've been using Comics Reader while I find out what's wrong with Komik. It works, but there are issues I have with it (don't see how to look at page thumbnails, can't seem to pinch-to-zoom, setting up a library is a pain).

If it's PDF, I've yet to find a good solution. My devices always seem to slow down and flipping pages quickly always causes stuff to freeze.

They give it as a PDF, EPUB, .cbr, and .cbz.

Looks like there's a button to load it straight into my Google Books library so I'll see how that pans out.
e: it's not a button it's a drop-down set of instructions as to how to upload them yourself so there's that.

I'll look into Komik, thanks!

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Oh, that's still good news! I haven't been reading any DC lately. And it looks like you can synch your Marvel app with comiXology, too, so it's pretty much the same thing!

EDIT: And the Image app is already automatically synced with comiXology! God, I hope Amazon doesn't figure this loophole out any time soon.

I think Marvel is automatic too? It definitely is instantaneous when buying through the Marvel website.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Ruzaii posted:

Marvel's Monday sale at Comixology is a bunch of Jason Aaron books.

I'm interested in Ultimate Captain America, Astonishing Spiderman and Wolverine, and to a lesser extent, Wolverine: Weapon X. How are these generally regarded?

I absolutely adore Astonish Spider-Man and Wolverine. It's the book that got me back into comics. It's just a wonderful story about Spider-Man and Wolverine. Pretty fun. Definitely worth $6.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Uthor posted:

Batman and Son Deluxe for $6:
https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Batman-and-Son-Deluxe-Edition/digital-comic/68457

I haven't really read Morrison's Batman (other than a few things here and there), but I generally am up on what went on during his run. Is this something worth picking up and reading as a stand alone volume? It's a lot of comics for $6, $1 after using the $5 credit comiXology/Amazon gave away.

If this is the Deluxe one then it should contain the stuff from the collected Black Glove volume too. That's a lotta great comics. The downside is you'll probably want to read Batman RIP immediately after. Batman & Son, Black Glove, and RIP are basically a trilogy.

I'd say grab it.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

onefish posted:

Some of what I'm reading implies that Batman RIP ties into Final Crisis significantly--would we need/want to read Final Crisis as well as RIP to get a "full story" after Batman & Son + Black Glove?

I haven't read Final Crisis and I was pretty happy after reading RIP, so I guess not!

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Huh, Comixology just let me pay with my UK PayPal on the US store front. Maybe it got confused because I still had $0.02 credit.

Y'all better be getting Scarlet Spider. Best Spider-Man in a while. I just ordered the trades of vols 3 and 4 unfortunately, and I won't be double dipping.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Any recommendations on this X-Men Collections sale?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Is the non-basic Transformers bundle worth it for someone who doesn't really know anything about Transformers? Or should I just read these basic ones?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I bought this but I'm not looking forward to individually downloading each issue and uploading them to my Google Books.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Uthor posted:

Does Google Books work okay with comics now? I've tried it before, but was hitting file size limits and errors I couldn't fix by reuploading.

Only if the file is below 100Mb which is super annoying in the few instances Humble has given a comic where there is no less than 100Mb option.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Humble IDW Star Trek Bundle

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Does the Star Trek Humble Bundle have comiXology codes?

I can't believe I'm doing the Steam/PC Games thing now in digital comics where if it's not on comiXology ugh just gently caress it.

They're not, no. They give PDFs, EPUBs, MOBIs, and some CBZ comic format or something.

I get what you mean, though.

You can upload them to your Google Books cloud if you want (and are on Android). You can also access and manage your downloads of ebooks in the Humble Bundle App, but you will need a separate App to read them.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I literally don't read anything on Comixology anymore because I can't store everything I want to read on my device at once, and I mistakenly 1) got all the free stuff possible when I first signed up and 2) bought indie packs of #1s and that sort of thing. Now my purchases are a mess and I can't find poo poo.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

sleepingbuddha posted:

Start a new account?

I've spent way too much money at this point.

Fingers crossed on some sort of playlist feature, or a better way of organising purchases in general.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

That's also why I use the Marvel and DC specific apps. Saves the main Comixology one for just non-Big Two books, so things are less cluttered.

Thank you so much for posting this.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Uthor posted:

Last time I got something, it was PDF, CBZ and ePub. And it looks like there's an option to send them straight to Google Books.

Vaguely. It's just a dropdown box of instruction on how to upload your files to Google Books.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

And I believe there's a size limit, so anything that's not a single issue is unlikely to fit. There's a great reader for Android that I use, it'll read pretty much anything, up to and including folders full of plain old image files. It's very basic, but it's also lightweight, and as long as you don't mind uploading stuff to your device already organised, it's easy to use.

I really need Cloud stuff.

The file limit is 100Mb. Most (but not all) PDFs Humble gives are less than that.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Yep! panel view and guided view are the same thing.

Except Comixology's Guided View (tm) is vastly superior.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

How is it superior? I browsed through a free issue of Marvel Unlimited on my iPad mini and found that the page view was a little too small (meaning I'd have to zoom sometimes, which would be really annoying), but if I did the panel view and put it in landscape mode, it seemed like it'd work out fine.

I haven't tried Unlimited in a while, but last I did it was comparatively pretty jerky and not nearly as smooth.

e:
Wait, rereading your post, it doesn't seem like you were using Panel View? I was specifically comparing Guided View and Panel View.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Does anyone else use the Viz Manga app? I got an email about some bundle deals they were doing but I can't seem to find them in the app at all.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Is Marvel Unlimited meant to have such poor image quality?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

The Modern Leper posted:

Nope. What are you reading?

I tried #1 of the new Ant-Man. As one if the more recent things on there I was hoping it would be good quality.

It's not so bad in page view but everything looks terrible in smart panel view.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

zoux posted:

What platform are you using for MU?

Android, so, probably the worst. Still, thought they'd be pulling the images from the same source.

I mean, I can deal with it, but it looks pretty bad coming off reading a bunch of Marvel stuff on Comixology.

On HD comics their stuff looks gorgeous zoomed in.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Hey I'm just not fond of the fact they clearly have the HD scans of the comics somewhere to be able to offer them on Comixology. MU might be more economically friendly, but at the end of the day it's still a paid for service, so it strikes me as a bit cheeky for them to deliberately do that.

I am just using a .99c for 1 month promo, but I was considering subscribing just to have access whenever. But, with the low quality, I can see why subbing and just binging for short periods is something most people tend to do with the service.

It just seems weird that zoomed looks great in Comixology but like garbage in the MU app. It's fine if you don't need to zoom in, but at some point you're just making an excuse for something that is a little bit lovely.

I'm still enjoying it -- but it's a little bit "come on". It's 2015. Make with the HD scans.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Again, you get what you pay for. Saying that because they have the HD version means that they're somehow obligated to provide it to their Unlimited subscribers is like complaining about the six month delay between when an issue is released and when it shows up on Unlimited. They have the issue ready for digital distribution, why shouldn't everyone get to read it? Well, because some people are paying more. Otherwise, what would be the point of ever buying an individual issue?

Well it makes me not want to subscribe so ???

e: the quality - the delayed issues makes much more sense at a face level.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

That does explain why my Netflix subscription only lets me watch movies in Standard Definition.

Won't somebody please think about their poor bandwidth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Couldn't see one in the OP but are there any Android comic readers that would allow me to stream comics from a Google Drive? Or one that I could sync with a Drive folder and then choose each one I want to pick out and download.

Challenger seemed almost there, but it seems to want to download everything in a Drive and I have many gigs of comics in that folder. Ideally don't want to put them all into their own folders (but might have to).