Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

The Batgirl sale at comixology doesn't include the Stephanie Brown Batgirl run which is a shame as I've been planning to pick that up for a while. What is the current Batgirl run like? I've only read the first issue and it seemed ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Man, comixology is additive, I spent 200 dollars today just browsing round the site.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

zelah posted:

Dark Horse is doing a hell of a sale on their Star Wars comics while they still can.

$300 for everything https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/5400/

If that's too much, you're real safe picking up the Legacy or Knights of the Old Republic bundles. https://digital.darkhorse.com/search/?q=XL (50+ comics for $35)

Thanks for the heads up, I bought the full bundle. I may not read the whole lot but that's such an amazing deal.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Spawn has been released on Comixology,

https://www.comixology.com/Spawn/comics-series/750

For a limited time they have a bundle of all 250 issues for less than half price.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Phylodox posted:

How do you feel about comics in the 90s? Because Spawn is, like, concentrated 90s.

This is true, but Spawn is my guilty pleasure.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

AlmightyBob posted:

Does ComicRack let you do Wifi sync on IOS? It works great on my Android Tablet although to be fair I got it for free with some play store credit.

Yeah it does. Works the same.

ComicRack is my favourite reader on iOS. It's better than comic zeal.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

The new Comixology app is loving awful.

What's wrong with it? Seems an improvement on my iPad.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

DC didn't go in on that Scribd deal either though, and that's also offloading the hard part onto someone else.

Is it possible that they knew this Comixology unlimited was coming and have signed an exclusivity agreement?

I'm not getting my hopes up, but to have a unlimited service using Comixology technology that includes DC and Marvel would be a dream come true.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

The Modern Leper posted:

Nope. What are you reading?

When I had MU none of the comics I read (All New X-men, Hawkeye) were HD. Is there a setting for this?

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you got HD comics on it you might not also buy the monthlies!

That's what I figured.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

beergod posted:

Why are the filez comics of such better quality than the legit ones? I keep buying stuff from comixology but it looks like blurry poo poo on my surface pro 3.

That's because Comixology's app on Windows is a half-baked piece of poo poo. On iPad and android the comics are Hi-res.

I'm hoping that because Windows 10 seems to be more popular that they might update the app to match the quality of the others.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

beergod posted:

Viewing them on the web browser doesn't give you hi res access either I take it.

Nope, but with a little work you can get the Android APK to run under chrome using ARC Welder and the comics are in HD. It's not perfect, but it's still better than the lovely native Windows App.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

beergod posted:

Holy poo poo good looking out man. Would love to get it in a pure full screen mode but it isn't blurry trash anymore. Do you have to redownload your books every time you open it?

I don't think so. As long as you don't add a new APK to ARC Welder they should stay. I haven't played around with it too much though since I mostly use my iPad for comics.

You can also use Bluestacks to run Android apps on windows. That's a full emulator though so you have to open the emulator and then open the Comixology app. On the plus side you can use the registry to force it to use the whole screen, but I'm not sure how much storage is available inside the emulator for apps.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Is anyone else having issues downloading books in the Comixology apps? 12 of my books won't download on either iOS or Android, I can read them fine on the web. Most of them have downloaded fine before so I don't know whats going on now.

I've sent a message to Comixology support, hopefully they can sort it out.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

I've had issues with it not continuing downloads that stop because the app or iPad was closed.

I've had to pause and unpause them to get it going again.

I've had those issues, but this is different. The download just doesn't start. and it's random books aswell, most of which i've downloaded in the past.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

I've been having trouble today downloading too. I finally got the one I want to read going though, but it's slow going.

EDIT: BULLSHIT! The issue I was trying to download finished, still won't let me read it because the app says it's not done, even though all the pages finished downloading.

Have you reported it to the support team at comixology?

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Comixology is pulling their lovely Windows app from the store at the end of the year. If you have used it in the past you get a $5 credit.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

I think so, I only checked it every now and then to see if they had improved it (They never improved it).

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

beergod posted:

Are they replacing it with a working one? Or allowing you to view HD comics in the web browser? I feel like they straight up stole money from me.

As far as I can tell, No and No.

The email tells you to use the web browser, which now has smart lists and the new library browsing from the iOS and Android apps, but still only in SD.

It's pretty dog poo poo to be honest. I hate the way content is used to enforce hardware lock in.

Maybe someday DC and/or Marvel will go DRM free, but once again it seems that the pirates get a better experience than the paying customers.

Dsmif fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 15, 2015

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, if this results in them allowing you to view comics on the mobile site from Windows devices (presumably whenever Win10 Mobile/the mobile version of Edge launches), I'd say it's a step up.

The Library sorting options on the website are certainly better then the non existent ones in the windows app.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, even with the hassles with Comixology, it's still vastly easier than piracy.

You might be right, leaving the storage and library management to them is great. And buying comics at work and then downloading them to my iPad is magic.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I personally love Comixology. I do all my reading on android, and a vast majority of what I read has a drm free backup that I stick on a Google drive. I have rebought many of the issues I got in humble bundles because comixology is so drat convenient. The full pages are nice on tablet, and the guided view works great on my phone.

No complaints from me!

Don't get me wrong, I love Comixology as well. On my iPad and phone it's fantastic, i just wish they would support Windows the same way they do iOS.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Uthor posted:

All you can read comics for $10/month. It's the usual mid-level publishers: Dynamite, Valiant, Red 5, a bunch of others, and, of course, Zenoscope.

https://www.comicblitz.com/

It's only available on the iPad...

Has there been anything further about Comixology's supposed all you can read option? It would be intersting to see if they can manage to persuade DC to get on board.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

It's also geoblocked. I assume they have licensed the digital rights for their comics to other companies.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

I asked Comixolgy support if there was any way to view HD comics in the web browser. Below is what they came back with.

Comixolgy Support posted:

Not at this time, though it is something we are looking into.

Thanks!
- Pat

I'd still prefer a dedicated windows app, but the web browser isn't too bad.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Uthor posted:

Have you used the old Windows app? Because, trust me, you don't want that.

Yeah, I have used that piece of poo poo. I was hoping that since windows 10 seems to be more popular than windows 8 that they would release an updated app more inline with the android and ios apps, but instead they've cancelled the windows app entirely.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

So I got an iPad Pro from someone on SA Mart and it rules since it's so big I can comfortably read two pages in landscape with almost no wasted space at all!

Or just one giant page in portrait.

When I brought my Pro I was expecting to read in portrait like I do on the smaller ones, but once I actually got it I found that reading in landscape was better, the pages are big enough for the text and images to be clear and you don't have to rotate for double page spreads.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

ConanThe3rd posted:

It also has the hilerious side effect of allowing UK people to get Viz Manga (currenly Kindle only in the UK because fun if we can ever just go in a straight line on these matters) on their Comixology account.

Yeah, that's how I managed to get One Punch Man and Dragonball here in New Zealand.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

I don't know when it happened, but my Bone comics on Comixology now support DRM free backup.

I know it's a pipe dream, but I still hold hope that one day DC and/or Marvel will one day follow suit.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

This happened a long time ago on Comixology.

I guess I thought he was talking about Marvel Unlimited for some reason. For a more general collection, no, there's nothing stopping people from sharing provided there's no DRM.

Yeah, My Image and IDW books have been DRM free for a couple of years, but the Bone one have only gone DRM free in the last few months.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Is Velvet any good? I enjoyed the Fade Out, Criminal, and Fatale.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

How often does Humble Bundle have comic bundles?

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Junkie Disease posted:

bout 4 times a year much more if you consider warhammer comics or pathfinder comics worth reading

Thanks. Do they ever have any Marvel/DC?

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't remember any but I could be wrong.

Uthor posted:

No. Nearly everything Humble Bundle does anything, it's DRM free and for the comics/books, they just give PDFs. Good luck getting the Big Two on board.

Though they do Nintendo download bundles, so I can see a comiXology-based solution in the future...

Thanks, I was hoping for a legal way to get Big Two comics DRM free, but I guess that may never happen.

I've switched from an iPad pro to a surface pro 4 and I love it but with no Comixololgy/Darkhorse apps, I have to read DRM free comics only.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Uthor posted:

Yeah, comiXology on the web is your consolation prize if you're a Windows user.

Which is probably for the best as the Windows 10 app sucked rear end.

Yeah the app was poo poo but the web reader isn't much better, I guess I wont be buying DC/Marvel for a while.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Alehkhs posted:

On my Windows 10 tablet I set up a shortcut that opens the Comixology app within an Android emulator. Works fine. Still HD and still readable offline. :shrug:

What android emulator do you use?

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Alehkhs posted:

I've got the shortcut for the Comixology app for Android set up through AMIDuOS.

Thanks I'll give this a go.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All of Uber and Uber:Invasion is on sale and I just noticed it now. No collections, just the single issues. Still a good grab if you want an awesome but brutal story. It takes a LONG time but it's not just "the germans are unstoppable monsters that horribly kill everyone".

Thanks for the heads up, I picked this all up. Issue 19 wasn't on sale for some reason, must have been an oversight.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Medullah posted:

I've got a Lenovo Windows tablet, anyone have any recommendations for a good comic reader? I like ComicRack and it does everything I want, tracking my library, read and unread, etc. It's CLOSE to perfect, but it really isn't tablet friendly. The menus don't scale well and swipe to change pages isn't that reliable.

Cover in the windows store works well as a reader it tracks read and unread. It doesn't support metadata like ComicRack through and no reading lists, but it's still better than 90% of other readers out there.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Thanks to Marvel and DC sales on I brought:

All-New X-Men Vol 1: Yesterday's X-Men
All-New X-Men Vol 2: Here to Stay
All-New X-Men Vol 3: Out of Their Depth
All-New X-Men Vol 4: All-Different
All-New X-Men Vol 5: One Down
Batman Vol 1: I am Gotham
Batman Vol 2: I am Suicide
Batman Vol 3: I am Bane
Batman: Batman and Son
Batman: Cataclysm
Batman: Ego and Other Tails
Batman: R.I.P
Batman: Road to No Man's Land 1 & 2
Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham
Batman: Year One
Guardians Of The Galaxy / All-New X-Men: The Trial Of Jean Grey
Hawkeye Vol 1: My Life as a Weapon
Hawkeye Vol 2: Little Hits
Hawkeye Vol 3: L.A. Woman
Hawkeye Vol 4: Rio Bravo
Power Girl: Power Trip
Seven Soldiers of Victory 1 & 2
The Multiversity
Vision Vol 1: Little Worse than a Man
Vision Vol 2: Little Better than a Beast
X-Men: The Shattering
X-Men: X-Men Vs. Apocalypse 1 & 2
Zatanna by Paul Dini

Not all of this was on sale, I just got carried away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

enigmahfc posted:

I've been messing around with this lately too. The one I use right now is Comic Book Reader (yeah i know, unique name
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/comics-book-reader/id1056129062?mt=8

It syncs up with Dropbox, which was a big plus for me. I know there is a free version with some ads and a paid version, but i do not recall what the paid price is.

edit: pro version is $5.99. I'm suing for a while longer to see if if its worth it before dropping the money.

If anyone else has any better suggestions, I'm all ears.

I like Chunky Reader on IOS, it's great for reading and its the best reader I've used for downloading comics from OneDrive/Drop Box.

The developer is working on a new reader (Chunky TNG) that allows you to browse your entire library with covers from a cloud drive / opds server and then stream the comics, with an option to download for offline reading. It's still in testing at the moment but once it's released it will be the best reader on any tablet IMO, especially if you store your comics in OneDrive/Google Drive/Drop Box.