Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Flameingblack posted:

I jumped on the 99cent Marvel Unlimited deal, having issues with the app but I have problems with almost all apps on this stupid Android tablet.

How easy is it to find story arcs on this thing, instead of by title?

e: Nope, the app sucks rear end. Having to change the view to one-page every single time, constantly having the app get confused and thinking I'm logged out/Not an unlimited user. It's trash, and it's my fault for buying an Android tablet instead of something else, but there's no excuse for an almost non-functioning app.

Their Android app is trash. I load it up on my HTC One every few months or so just in case they've managed to fix it in the meantime, and I'm always disappointed.

The web interface isn't great either, but that's what I use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

That's $.99, not 99%. Gonna get people's hopes up too high.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

On average, about how much time has been added to each purchase by this update?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

petewhitley posted:

This isn't the issue at hand whatsoever.

Pardon the hell out of me for being curious.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So long as someone else has brought up the manga question, is there any decent place to get manga in the original Japanese? The digital bookstores I've used in Japan want me to use their proprietary reader, which is invariably the slowest and clunkiest piece of software you can imagine. And iTunes doesn't want to take my credit card, so gently caress those guys.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

It's not really cheap but I've gotten a few volumes of One Piece off Amazon. I forget the name of the guy I was buying from but if I can find that tonight I'll message it to you.
EDIT: Unless you're talking about digital then I dunno. I'll stop derailing though.

Yeah, I was talking about digital. Thanks anyway, though.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

hadji murad posted:

iBooks has a ton in the Japanese store.

But Apple won't accept my filthy gaijin credit card, as I explained in the original post.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

The Kins posted:

Create a Japanese iTunes store account and buy Japanese gift cards off the internet?

I've done that before, but paying a 20% markup on every purchase isn't ideal. If I could just pay the cover price and not have to deal with lovely e-reader programs I'd be much happier.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

Then probably move to Japan.

You are a wit.

It's not that my credit card won't work in Japan (I use it with Amazon and the like), but that iTunes won't accept purchases made with a foreign billing address. I couldn't even make iTunes purchases when I was living in Japan because my card always pointed back to America.

Anyway, I can make do with Amazon's limited selection for the time being, I feel like I've used too much space here for an issue of very narrow interest. Thanks anyway. If anybody knows any better options, feel free to send me a PM.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

ConanThe3rd posted:

So two questions about Marvel Unlimited;

1) How unlimited is it (Besides the 6 month time lag)? Would I need to pick up, say GNs of Runaways if I went for it?

2) How is the Android App?

1) Runaways is all up, last I checked.

2) loving awful. And the web interface isn't much better.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

As said above the Android app is definitely better now than it was a couple weeks ago, but it still lacks basic the basic functionality you can find in even a second- or third-tier CBR reader (fixed width, tap to zoom, etc).

It's usable, but only just.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

ConanThe3rd posted:

So yeah, not worth the money then.

If you're buying to read on your phone, then absolutely not. If you have a decent-sized Android tablet, you might be okay.

They have specials from time to time, so you could just wait for one of those and try it out for yourself. A couple months ago you could get a one-month subscription for just $.99.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

It's strange, but I looked at the page and my mind automatically put Lois in her own panel. It's not until I read your post and scrolled back up did I realize that the artist had actually placed her within the scene. You're right, it does seem like very lazy composition.

There's also something odd about Supe's left leg in that picture. The way it sweeps backwards in a perfect curve is offputting, and it seems out of proportion to the rest of his body. It's at least twice the size of his right leg and juts out from the small of his back.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

PelvicNerve posted:

After reading Remender's first Venom trade, I've been beating myself for having these reactions and ignoring the $.99 sale a couple of months ago. Time to cope with my nineties PTSD.

This post made me curious so I read the first couple issues of Remender's Venom while drinking my coffee this morning and yeah, this is a keeper. For all my problems with Marvel Unlimited, it's times like this when the price feels worth it.

I know this isn't the recommendation thread, but thanks all the same!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Drowning Rabbit posted:

How are they on old issues. I've always wanted to read the old key issues of Spider-Man for instance. The old green goblin books, death of gwen, amazing fantasy 15.

I'm pretty sure you can search the Marvel Unlimited website even as a non-subscriber. You can check and see whether the arcs you want to read are available or not, and even see the first few pages of each.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Russad posted:

I think the Comixology Suicide Squad sale ends tomorrow. I've never read any of them, but the concept seems pretty cool. Are any of these particularly good? Any must have arcs?

That's been the topic du jour in the BSS Chat thread for the past few days, you should hop in there and scan the last couple of pages.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Holy poo poo, it is time to re-read some Batman.

Thanks for the tip!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

So is Unlimited totally hosed up for everyone else right now?

I was really excited a few minutes ago because I finally loaded an issue of Captain Marvel but none of the word bubbles loaded in so welp.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So long as we're talking about issues with apps, has anyone ever had their entire Marvel Unlimited Library (or Must Reads or whatever) disappear entirely on iOS? I can still see it on my Android and through the web, but my iPad insists that all those issues are gone.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Is Sex Criminals finished or just on hiatus? I might grab all of those books if it's complete.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Humble Bundle Image at 25. Too much stuff to list, but $20 gets you a ton of great comics.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-book-bundle

That $20 tier is pretty bonkers.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Space Fish posted:

X-Men Legacy: Legion sale thru February 16th.
Get the four Spurrier/Huat trades for $4 each, it's a wild and self-contained ride.

I'll second that. Some of my favorite Marvel output in years.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

There's also an Unlimited free month code up: RAND.

Any really spectacular stuff from the past five years or so that I should check out while it's free?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Any opinions on this?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

joehonkie posted:

So there's Rocketeer sale at Comixology. I love that movie. Are any of those comics any good?

Can't speak to the rest of them but Cargo of Doom is pretty good. I picked it up on a whim because it was written by Mark Waid and I wasn't disappointed.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

MazelTovCocktail posted:

And the Marvel crazy sale continues still.

God I wish you hadn't said that. Just went back and picked up Secret Avengers and Totally Awesome Hulk.

Edging dangerously close to triple digits on this one.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Fatale is also in that sale and I'm a big, big fan of Fatale.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Giant Star Wars sale over on Comixology. I'm thinking of picking up all four volumes of their Vader series along with "Vader Down," which I've heard good things about.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Galvanik posted:

I got a subscription to Marvel Unlimited for Christmas. I've finally fulfilled the hope of 6 year old me by reading all the rest of Maximum Carnage.

It ... well, I can definitely see why that series appealed to my child brain.

Now that that's out of the way I want read some good comics. Help me out thread! Are there any must read runs or events that I should check out?

I really like Jonathan Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers run from a few years ago. Might want to look up a reading order, though, because you have to hop between the two books in a pretty specific order. It's kinda lengthy, so that will keep you busy for a while.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Huge comics sale at Amazon starting today.

I've been meaning to start Hellblazer forever and it looks like most (all?) of it is on sale. What should I get?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4YTJV4/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Rincewinds posted:

Dark Horse has a 50% discount on comixology for today only (discount code DH50), which can be combined with the Dark Horse Video Games sale, if there is anything there that catches one's fancy.

https://www.comixology.eu/comics-sale?list_id=28734

Worth mentioning that this also works on art books. I just got Super Mario Encyclopedia and Zelda: Art and Artifacts for about $10 combined.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

blast0rama posted:

How are those books on ComiXology?

I've only flipped through a bit of Art and Artifacts so far but it's pretty solid. I'm reading on iPad and I can scale things up two to three times before I notice any aliasing or artifacting.

You won't be making any 4K wallpapers out of it but it's definitely worth $5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

onefish posted:

So, on Comixology, today there's a code "IMAGEFLASH" for 50% off all Image Comics released before 2/17, and there's also a 50% off "Image Sci-Fi" sale still going on until tomorrow, meaning that you can get books that are in the sale for 75% off. Includes Injection, Trees, Spread, Descender, Black Science/Low/Tokyo Ghost, Glory, Paper Girls, Revival, Prophet, other stuff.

Oh hey, I never finished reading Revival. Is that one worth seeing all the way through?