Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've never read East of West or Sex Criminals so no better time than the present to start I guess.

I can give big recommendations to Southern Bastards (especially if you're a college football fan), Saga, Criminal, Deadly Class, Fade Out (perfect for LA Confidential/LA Noire fans), and Velvet.

I've read and would recommend to steer clear of Zero, Wytches, Wayward, Rasputin, Roche Limit, and Black Science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Ah holy poo poo, I'd really like to get Preacher, Y, Hellblazer (I guess? Not a huge Constantine fan but I understand these are meant to be awesome), 100 Bullets, Transmetropolitan, American Vampire, and Ex Machina.

I've already read Y, Preacher and 100 Bullets, so of Hellblazer, Transmetropolitan and American Vampire, are any of those considered must-read or highly recommended over the others?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

And I JUST finished buying all the stuff I wanted from the other Vertigo sale. But this looks too good to pass up. A few questions:

- If I buy those 4 volumes of JLA, will that collect his entire celebrated run, or are there tie ins and other stuff to worry about?

- Those 2 Flash volumes: worth getting if I haven't read any other pre-52 Flash?

- If you remove Batman Inc. (which I hated in the New 52), I count 8 Batman collections: 3 Batman and Robin, 5 others. All worth getting, or should I pick and choose?

Thanks.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Get Earth 2 and DC One Million with JLA. They're part of the run.
What did you hate about Batman Inc? If you'd rather not read it as one giant interconnected thing, Batman and Robin Vol 1 and 2 are fun and fairly isolated from the larger narrative. 3 starts going back and forth with Return of Bruce Wayne, which is by far the most confusing and complicated comic, and ties all of the previous run in.
You may enjoy the first series of Batman Inc a lot more, if your problems were the tone, Robin and the artist. The first series was a lot of globetrotting adventures with guest characters while Batman's setting up his international army. It's quite different from the N52 one apart from establishing it's villains.
OK. Just the Earth 2 collection and the 4 issues of One Million on sale currently?

To the degree I hated it (that was probably a bad choice of words), it was because I just couldn't understand it. Most of comics lore/continuity is still new to me so if those two New 52 volumes were really parts 9 and 10 of a long run, combined with the typical Morrison intentional obfuscation, it's no surprise I couldn't follow it. I spent an hour or so looking up stuff on wiki and it sounds like if I buy all the Morrison Batman stuff currently on sale and start reading from Batman and Son, I'll have a better shot of liking it. Of course that also makes it sound like I should try to read Final Crisis, and to understand that I should read Countdown to Final Crisis and 52, which takes you back to Infinite Crisis... this is why I shouldn't look up comic continuity.

Unrelated question, is it normal for comics you've bought to show up on the website but not the app? The stuff I bought off the Vertigo sale is showing up fine on the website but I can't load it in the app. Tried reloading/restarting the app to no avail.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I wonder why only 4 of the 5 volumes of Birds of Prey are included. I always wanted to read that.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Fade Out is excellent. Classic 50s Old Hollywood noir. If you liked the movie LA Confidential or the game LA Noire, it's up your alley.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I can give a huge recommendation to Giant Days. One of my favorite books going now. $3 for Vol 1 is a steal.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

zoux posted:

I sub to MU so I don't ever buy digital Marvel unless I'm foolishly trying to keep up with an event, but I wonder for people who do: why not just sign up for a month of MU and read the sale stuff for much cheaper?

I'm not trying to be critical or anything, I'm just curious what the rationale is.
Besides what everyone else has said, MU doesn't have literally everything. There are issues you can buy digitally that aren't on MU. I'm going to have to buy some if I want to read all of Infinity Gauntlet with the tie ins, I think.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Not really sure where is the best place to post these but G. Willow Wilson had some interesting Tweets regarding digital sales (sorry, I don't know a better way to post tweets than to link them):

https://twitter.com/gwillowwilson/status/722171620215795712
https://twitter.com/gwillowwilson/status/722171824478355456
https://twitter.com/gwillowwilson/status/722172014790713344

Given that she writes Ms. Marvel, she'd know as well as anyone how much better certain books can do on digital sales. I'd always assumed based on statements by creators and publishers that digital sales were sort of an additive to print sales, adding maybe a small percentage to the total, but not much more. I'd never have guessed you could have digital sales double or multiple times more than print sales.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Does Imperium grow out of Harbinger or something? I've been getting into Valiant (very) slowly, but I'm still in 2012-2013 because I'm buying all the deluxe HCs for stuff like X-O, Bloodshot, and Harbinger and reading them one at a time. Still haven't figured out how (or if) all the slightly newer series like Ninjak, Imperium, Unity, etc. tie in to the original series.

Also, I have read very little Valiant, but that Divinity collection for $5 is a steal. One of the best miniseries I've ever read.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I can highly recommend Giant Days off that Boom! sale.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

For my money, Gotham Central is the best, but of the stuff included in the sale, Fade Out is probably the best and Criminal a close second.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Comparing those collections with the two Knightfall ominbus volumes that have been released/announced, it looks like the first one is missing about 12 issues of Detective/Batman from the omnibus and the second is missing some Justice League/Shadow of the Bat stuff. Any reason to pick up those issues or will buying the 3 collections on sale be fine to give you the whole story?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I got a free book coupon for buying an omnibus and it still displayed a Purchase with 1-Click option on the promotion page they sent in the e-mail, but when I bought something it applied a promotional credit in the amount of the full price.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If I get the 4 Morrison JLA collections, is the rest of the run worth getting or is his stuff all I need? And will it be obvious where JLA Classified/Earth 2/One Million fit in or should I look up a reading order?

I think I've assembled almost all of his Batman from various sales, I should look up a full reading order and see what I need to round things out.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Cool, finally picked up the pre-52 Batman Inc which was I think the last trade I need of the Morrison Batman stuff. Now to assemble a reading order and, uh, attempt to understand a Morrison comic.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

How much of the JLA series that starts with Morrison is worth buying? I think I've heard in the past to stop with the Claremont stuff, but not 100% sure.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Picked up the first 7 volumes of JLA and the entire run of No Man's Land. Should keep me occupied for quite a while considering I still have other runs I haven't read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

That B1G1 stacked with the New Mutants sale and I was able to get the first two New Mutants Epic Collections (about 40 issues total) for $8+tax. That'll do me well in quarantine.