Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there anything better out there for organizing comics than ComicRack? I store all my comics on my PC and ComicRack is awesome for keeping them organized, but I like to read them on my Android Phone and tablet. I just got a Windows 8 7" tablet as well. Unfortunately, unless I'm syncing the entire collection, ComicRack doesn't really do a great job of sharing between devices, so I end up just browsing to the folder they're stored in and opening them with PerfectViewer on my Phone/tablet. I'd love it if there were something for comics like Plex is for media where I could "stream" comics from my PC without needing to set up a network share, which unrooted Android makes a giant pain in the butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Google Play has the first Walking Dead compendium for $5 digital download

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Actually looks like both are on sale, so first 96 issues for $10

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Spawn still has one of my favorite panels of all time. A child killer is released from prison and is unable to be prosecuted despite continuing to commit crimes (he uses an ice cream truck to lure kids in), leads to Spawn finding him -

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Are there any IOS CBZ readers that let you access files over an FTP?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

gfanikf posted:

Go to the Chromecast cast app (at least for Android) and select Cast Screen. Once selected just start up your regular comic app. You may need to rotate it for the best view.

And sadly not all phones/tablets can do this. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

gfanikf posted:

You mean the cast screen feature?

Yeah unless it's changed recently not all models can mirror the screen. My Galaxy S3 couldn't. I upgraded to a Note 4 which can last year.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Is there a way to download all the Transformers books at the same time? I'm probably dumb but i only see a link to do one at a time. ..

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

plainswalker75 posted:

poo poo yeah, Bloom County rules! I've got 1-9 in hardcover, but never felt like springing for Opus or Outland. Thanks for the head's up!

Oh man i am all over that

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hitman 1 million is hilarious because it's the same character getting transported through time. "OH NO I TURNED MY rear end INTO A HAND GRENADE"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Amazon has a ton of Comics for your kindle today, some really good prices and books.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

It's also a really good standalone story if you don't read Batman regularly. Good introduction to his rogues gallery.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

PoshAlligator posted:

Couldn't see one in the OP but are there any Android comic readers that would allow me to stream comics from a Google Drive? Or one that I could sync with a Drive folder and then choose each one I want to pick out and download.

Challenger seemed almost there, but it seems to want to download everything in a Drive and I have many gigs of comics in that folder. Ideally don't want to put them all into their own folders (but might have to).

I've tried similar but ended up using Perfect Viewer to open .cbz files by default and using ES File Explorer to a SMB share, or FTP if not on my network. Doesn't track my collection but easy to use.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Faustoan Bargain posted:

To be clear - you can read any Comixology books offline if you download in the app. It's not a Marvel Unlimited situation where you need to STAY online to read.
(Whoops that got clarified while I was twiddling my thumbs. My big issue with Comixology is that those app downloads can't be placed on SD storage, so... there is SOME limit.)

That's a constant problem with Android apps in general. :( I have a giant 32gb SD card that has like 300mb of music on it and that's about it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

No, see, if they sold a bunch of comics that are out of print and not available any other way in the primary market, then comics stores would get mad... for some reason.

That does make me wonder if there is any market for brick and mortar back issue shops anymore. I know my local comic shop only sells new issues along with toys and games, and the only back issues they carry are new stuff that didn't sell. I remember going back issue hunting as a kid all the time, I wonder what killed that more - digital comics (pirated or legit), or eBay.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

With there being more and more DRM free comics being available from Humble Bundle and all that, are there any good Android apps that allow you to "stream" comics from a PC and keep track of your library? I've got way more comics than I do space on my tablet, and most of the comic apps I've tried rely on the library being local to the tablet.

The solution I've used for years to read books is just to set up a share and browse to it then open the comic I want to read with Perfect Comic Viewer, but that doesn't track what's read/unread. Ideally I'd like something like Plex for TV shows and Movies.

I got all the Transformers books from the Humble Bundle a while back and it's a pain in the rear end remembering where I left off reading them. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

X-O posted:

I don't believe there's anything like that for Android. Even Comicrack required you to sync content. You can't just read from your server. There is an iOS app like that called YACReader. I don't think Android support is in their planning though.

Yeah ComicRack is great and I sprung for the pay version but the library sync requires you to have the entire set on your tablet and PC.

Seems with digital comics growing in popularity that this should be a no brainer, especially with Plex being so popular for other media. I guess since most comics come with their own reader like Comixology it really doesn't apply to alot of digital stuff. Oh well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Uthor posted:

Not sure if this is what I read about before, but Ubooquity seems to work as a comic book server:
http://vaemendis.net/ubooquity/

This thread also points to calibre (an ebook library) and ComicStreamer as options:
http://mylar.forumatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77

Hmmm it seems that by itself Ubooquity won't work but it does appear to have integration with a lot of comic viewer apps, so I'll give that a shot.

I didn't even think of Calibre, that's a good idea too. Thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

That's a good deal. If you like Ennis the Boys is a fun read.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anime_Otaku posted:

There's a Garth Ennis sale too. The Boys is pretty good, Jennifer Blood is an okay Punisher alike. Battlefields is really good if that's your thing, it does deal with some pretty heavy themes, the Germans and Japanese aren't just there to be cheerfully mowed down by the heroic allies. Not read any of the other stuff there.

Just a reminder if you are interested in any Ennis, get the Ennis Humble Bundle. Entire series of The Boys plus a few more for $15.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

And I update my Star Wars: The Old Republic OP frequently even though I barely play anymore!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I LOVE Saga but it is definitely mature. A main character is a ghost of a murdered child with her guts dangling out, and another is a half woman, half spider who's breasts are exposed.

And yes, there is a dragon with a massive exposed penis in an issue.

But at its heart it's basically Romeo and Juliet in Space.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Are there any good comic streaming Android apps? I've asked this in the thread before but haven't yet found a real easy method. Essentially I'm looking for a server/client something like Plex Media server. Have my comics in CBZ/CBR/PDF stored on my computer and have an app that I can "stream" to my tablet and have it track what I've read and what's new.

I currently use Perfect Viewer and can open comics from a network share, but I have to remember where I left off.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Just want to say if you're not reading Saga buy that bundle, my favorite comic out there right now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I see there's a bunch of new comic reader apps out there since the last time I asked so figured I'd ask again. Any recommendations for an Android app that can catalogue the comics I have and keep track of whether or not I've read them? Needs to be able to either "stream" the books from a network share or OneDrive. Doesn't need to be fancy, doesn't need to be free. I'd just like to read the billion humble bundle books I've got without having to remember where I left off.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

the guy from Semisonic posted:

ComicRack is what I use. There is server software you install on your PC to catalog your collection. The App can stream the comics that are in your library.

Last time I tried ComicRack it only let you "Sync" your collection, copying everything from your computer to your tablet. Now it can read directly off the network? Will give it another shot, thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anime_Otaku posted:

I think the consensus is Saga was really good but got a bit too mad, Sex Criminals is awesome though Transmetropolitan going on sale is timely given the current political climate in America. I thoroughly recommend it.

Oh come on, Saga is perfectly normal and healthy, hell EVERY comic has at least ONE scene where a dragon self fellates itself.

And yes, yes, sadly yes to Transmetropolitan being too timely. Just re-read it and shuddered a bit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

:shrug: guess it's a good deal.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I've asked this before, but what are you guys using these days to view/track digital comics that aren't through Comixology? Like all the Humble Bundle comics, I have a gazillion to read and I'd like to have some way of tracking which ones I've read and which are new. Ideally with a way of reading on my Android tablet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Uthor posted:

Before I fell horribly behind, I would keep track of my books on comicbookdb.com, but it's not automatic.

These days, I transfer books to my tablet with Dropbox and delete them from there as I read them. I have a primary copy backed up elsewhere. Again, not automatic, but works for me.

:shrug:

Yeah my current method is pretty similar, I copy to my OneDrive and delete from there, but still seems like there should be an easier way. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

X-O posted:

Android I have no clue. On iOS I use YACReader for that stuff. That way I don't have to actually transfer it to the iPad because it can be read it straight from my computer. As far as I know it's the only reader capable of reading straight from remote PC without downloading the files on iOS.

Yeah that's exactly what I want, but seems so hard to come by for Android. Essentially Plex for comics.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Is there anything better than ComicRack out there for Windows comic library management? Not that there's anything wrong with it, just curious. Finally broke down and bought a Windows 10 tablet because it was too much of a pain in the rear end to track what books I've read on my old Android tablet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I've got a Lenovo Windows tablet, anyone have any recommendations for a good comic reader? I like ComicRack and it does everything I want, tracking my library, read and unread, etc. It's CLOSE to perfect, but it really isn't tablet friendly. The menus don't scale well and swipe to change pages isn't that reliable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dsmif posted:

Cover in the windows store works well as a reader it tracks read and unread. It doesn't support metadata like ComicRack through and no reading lists, but it's still better than 90% of other readers out there.

Thanks, it's interface is pretty much exactly what I wanted. Sadly the metadata in ComicRack is really nice. Decisions, decisions

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Humble Bundle Image Expo 2018. A fuckton of good good comics and also Spawn for $20.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-expo-comics

This is a fantastic collection. I can't pimp Saga enough, too bad it's only the first collection.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zachack posted:

On Android I just used perfect viewer. iOS I use ComicGlass. Those two apps are, afaik, still the best ones at pulling files from a network drive to store on the device with folders. Every other app I’ve used botches the core functionality while adding in nice but inessential options.

All I want is an app that acts like Plex for comics. Server that keeps track of my comics and a client I can use on my tablet or phone to stream the files. I've got a bazillion miscellaneous Humble Bundle comics and pretty much every comic app is basic functionally like Perfect Viewer, which let's me set up a network path but doesn't keep track of read and unread, or ComicRack which does essentially everything I want but requires you to store comics locally.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

X-O posted:

That's exactly what YACReader is. But it's only on iOS.

Sadly I have Android.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

fadam posted:

Is there a good Perfect Viewer equivalent for iOS, specifically for the iPad pro? I really like how no-muss-no-fuss it is.

Have you played with Yet Another Comic Reader? I've only played with it on my sister's iPad since I'm Android, but it has "stream directly from PC" functionality that I crave on my tablet and looks really nice. It might be a little more fuss than you like though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Amazon/Comixology/Google Books has Saga volumes 1-9 on sale for $5 each. I can't recommend this series enough. Volume 1 link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Perfect Viewer is my favorite simple comic viewer. For like 13 years now.