Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
What kind of monster got rid of your avatar? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
Just got done reading Red Hood #32, and holy smokes, that's exactly what I wanted from this series. Just a fun character romp with 3 compatriots yucking it up for 20 pages, even if it has the cliche cliffhanger setup at the end. To have Lobdell back on the book is basically a return to fun form.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo! that was AMAZING!

Great art, a lot of jabs at the critics, pure fun, interesting twists (I so didn't saw Kirk Armstrong, Agent of SHADE coming) and a great cliffhanger.

We're back in the game.

Senor Candle posted:

What kind of monster got rid of your avatar? :(

No idea, someone got really mad at a blog I suggested.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Jabbing at your critics (in the comics) just make you look like a giant baby.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

Jabbing at your critics (in the comics) just make you look like a giant baby.

Maybe, I found pretty funny though:

(That internet comment :v:)

I really hope that Silva stays as penciller, that art is amazing.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I was digging it for the most part up until it said friend zone and then it completely derailed. That art isn't amazing, it's just fine.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Senor Candle posted:

I was digging it for the most part up until it said friend zone and then it completely derailed. That art isn't amazing, it's just fine.

Yeah that last part was weird but hey, as long isn't become an habit I can put out with weird things every now and then. Sandoval's pages are kind of just there, some rough lines, lack of detail and odd faces but Silva's are really impressive and well, after the poo poo art the book had for months his pencils look amazing :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Just updated the OP with a little review of Pfeifer's arc and Lobdell's return to the series.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
October Eternal's solicits are out and aside the loving badass cover of issue 26:

There's something really interesting for Jason:

quote:

BATMAN ETERNAL #30
Written by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV, RAY FAWKES, KYLE HIGGINS and TIM SEELEY
Art by FERNANDO PASARIN
Cover by CLAY MANN
On sale OCTOBER 29 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
The last time Deacon Blackfire took control of Gotham City, Batman nearly died...How will the city fare now that he wields unspeakable power?

This is interesting because Jason played a major role on The Cult (many think that story as the definitive Jason-as-Robin story), the story where the Deacon comes from. So it will be interesting to see his reaction to this (although I don't think he actually faced Blackfire)

Kind of lame that he's a demon or something now though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Issue 33 preview

Starfire time...again

Looks interesting, let's see how the internet reacts to this :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So the solicits came out and the controversial story Lobdell mentioned was turning the Outlaws into junkies.

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #35
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by R.B. SILVA
Cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
On sale OCTOBER 15 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Things are spinning out of control for the Outlaws when Roy realizes that he’s the only member of the team not abusing drugs!

And since Jason guest stars on Supergirl

SUPERGIRL #35
Written by TONY BEDARD
Art by KARL MOLINE
Cover by GUILLEM MARCH
On sale OCTOBER 15 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
“SUPERMAN: DOOMED AFTERMATH”! In the waked of the DOOMED storyline, the ALIEN SYNDICATE looks to re-establish it’s foothold on Earth. But the venom powered Red Hood looks for even more muscle in Kara as they go head to head with the scum and villainy of the galaxy. Plus: an ending that will set Kara on a new course!

I'm betting his poison will be Venom.

It certainly seems interesting but it came from the left field.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This arc is getting pretty interesting (specially on light of the recent solicits)and once again, Lobdell's show how skillful he's at writing a great Kory. Very pleased with this issue.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Red Hood is getting a dlc story in Arkham Knight

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ekusukariba posted:

Red Hood is getting a dlc story in Arkham Knight

:gizz::gizz::gizz:

I need start saving for a PS4.

But the BEST news is that you can play as him :flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

This also pretty much confirms he will have a role on Arkham Knight isn't it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is this the first version of Red Hood that actually wears a hood?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This also pretty much confirms he will have a role on Arkham Knight isn't it?
Probably? On the other hand, Robin was barely in Arkham City and Nightwing wasn't in it at all, but they were both playable in Challenge modes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

Is this the first version of Red Hood that actually wears a hood?

Jason used a similar outfit on Lost Days

But yeah, as Red Hood is the first time he has actually wear a hood and not a helmet. Probably to avoid making him look too similar to the Arkham Knight.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Probably? On the other hand, Robin was barely in Arkham City and Nightwing wasn't in it at all, but they were both playable in Challenge modes.

I was thinking of Deathstroke, he received a DLC and got a role on Origins plus is being advertised as an story pack so I'm guessing it will have some weight on the main game plot.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
DC Collectibles just revealed Arkham Knight's Red Hood's figure, giving us a better look to Jason:

Someone mentioned earlier on the games forum how the Arkham designs are cosplayer friendly and is noticeable with Jason. He went from a tactical armor (personally my favorite superhero suit ever) to a biker outfit with guns and a red bat painted on the shirt. Looks cool but kind of hard to take seriously (unless Jason is suicidal, that is), and the hood-helmet combo is kind of goofy :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
A Mark Hamill imitator voiced Joker's message to Jason from RHATO 17

Good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm8OiVN2jgI

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
For posterity.

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 14, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh boy, twothree Jason appearances this week :neckbeard:

Eternal was meh, but Action Comics got me pumped for Kollins issue next month:

Look at those pencils :allears:

EDIT: On closer look, that's Kuder, still pretty loving cool though.

Action Comics Annual also got some great stuff from Lashley:

I might have to pick up the issues now, Pak writes a GREAT Jason.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 6, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So this is a thing:

Interesting that Jason has got a LOT of cover presence this past few months.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #36
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by R.B. SILVA
Cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA
On sale NOVEMBER 19 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
The Outlaws never thought things would look this bad, as Jason Todd gives in to his addiction to Venom in order to find the missing Starfire!

Okay, now THIS sounds really interesting. :suspense:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That was a GREAT issue, not much happened from a story point but drat if it didn't show how much the Outlaws have grown since the issue 1. And again, this just shows how perfectly compliment each other (the mexican stand off at the end it gave the chills for how powerful it was) and that final page, ohhhh boy; can't wait for October's issue. The only downside is that art was a little messy (still serviceable though), but really; this issue is among the BEST things Lobdell has written. Oh and for those who want Jason to ditch Roy and Kory, next month issue should be able to scratch that itch.

Ah screw it, here are the pages:

THIS is what I wanted for the book.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 20, 2014

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

terrible comic posted:

born witness

terrible comic posted:

you are the most loving, fiercest, compassionate woman I've ever met

terrible comic posted:

You're friend was right.

So is anyone proofreading this or what?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Wachter posted:

So is anyone proofreading this or what?

Probably not, isn't the first time either, I've posted another mistakes before.

Curiously, the "you're" mistake also showed up on Injustice 20, DC's editors really need to catch on all of that.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 20, 2014

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I love this thread.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I'll stick up for a book having the hero's friends talk her out of killing a guy, then they promptly gently caress up detaining and he kills himself through their irresponsible handling of explosives. That's pretty funny.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Precambrian posted:

I'll stick up for a book having the hero's friends talk her out of killing a guy BY THREATENING TO SHOOT HER

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Precambrian posted:

I'll stick up for a book having the hero's friends talk her out of killing a guy, then they promptly gently caress up detaining and he kills himself through their irresponsible handling of explosives. That's pretty funny.

Yeah I know why he did it but it kind of ruins the impact of the moment, if I cared you know.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Well, Kory is shown repeteadely to be way out of their league (is actually shown to be on par with Superman's) so they didn't had a lot of options to deal with her while she's on her wits' end.

Now I really want to read that drug addiction arc. :f5:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And Lobdell hits a home run AGAIN (man, he really gets Jason), Jason's secret origin doesn't retcon anything previously stablished (aside of Tynion's bullshit) and just expand it.

There's a lot of homages to classic DCU scenes with Jason as Robin, we've shown that he and Bruce had a fallout shortly before Jason's death (in fact that was a major factor on Jason's choice to pursue his mother), we get confirmation that the All-Caste is still canon and still an important part of Jason's background. Lobdell's brief telling of Jason's return to Gotham effectively retcons Tynion's bullshit with the league, he gives a great explanation on Jason taking the Red Hood mantle and the final page perfectly paints Jason's role on the N52 (while also answering those people asking why he helps Batman)

The art could be better but is serviceable.

(I like to think that the bottom panels is Lobdell making GBS threads on Tynion's Chosen One bullshit)

I can't however, ignore a really REALLY weird choice on Lobdell's/Editorial part:

Jason coming back to life by Prime's punch is still canon :psyduck:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
... but I don't see anything there that screams Superboy Prime as opposed to "Talia has bullshit powers"? :iiam: If anything, what's more bullshit/weird is who let the artist have Jason be wide-eyed/clawing at the casket -> standing like a stoic badass once he's escaped -> fainting away, as opposed to "panting and hunched over as he's clawed his way out." I mean, sure he's got way less panels to pull off "escaped from being buried alive", but whoever drew that one Nightwing scene still did it better (and probably would have "tell Jason's in only three panels" too).

The "I'm not a Robin" line is funny though considering the Robin Rises storyline...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Chortles posted:

... but I don't see anything there that screams Superboy Prime as opposed to "Talia has bullshit powers"? :iiam: If anything, what's more bullshit/weird is who let the artist have Jason be wide-eyed/clawing at the casket -> standing like a stoic badass once he's escaped -> fainting away, as opposed to "panting and hunched over as he's clawed his way out." I mean, sure he's got way less panels to pull off "escaped from being buried alive", but whoever drew that one Nightwing scene still did it better (and probably would have "tell Jason's in only three panels" too).

The "I'm not a Robin" line is funny though considering the Robin Rises storyline...

I take that you didn't read Winnick's annual where he showed how Jason returned to life, yes?

Barring Talia's presence, the scene plays the same as Winick's.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There is nothing there that indicates Superboy Prime, I don't know why people are saying it's still part of his resurrection.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

There is nothing there that indicates Superboy Prime, I don't know why people are saying it's still part of his resurrection.

That is pretty clearly Superboy Prime in the Panels DT just posted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is pretty clearly Superboy Prime in the Panels DT just posted.

Those are pre Flashpoint.

From 2006 to be exact.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Those are pre Flashpoint.

I see. My lack of proper Jason Todd knowledge has been my undoing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

Putting aside the fact that is classic DC "I'l tease but I won't commit" explanation, the way the sequence is structured is a clear call back to Winnick's explanation, not that is unexpected since it was alluded way back on issue 2

However, this was on issue 0

I thought this meaned they finally choose to go with the movie explanation but then they bring back the annual one and what is more, on the next page they show that there's something off about Jason

My guess is that they didn't planned to use a crisis again and that's why they omitted that part from Jason's resurrection two years ago but then plans changed and once again, Jason is tied to a cosmic event. Until a better explanation is provided everyone will take for granted that is Prime's intervention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't see a single thing that alludes to Superboy Prime.

• Locked thread